Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Here is Les Menuires and Val Thorens 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
luigi wrote:
123_456, like the one of Chalet des Deux Lacs, HDR again? Happy memories of afternoon hot chocolate in front of the blazing fire when I visited in 2005.

Yes its is a HDR
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant photos, I want to be out there NOW!!! The slopes are all looking amazing on the webcams today, bright sunshine after all that fresh snow, absolutely gorgeous.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunday, 7-12-2008

A complete change with the previous days. Sunny during the whole day and very crowded. Thousands of people were there suddenly present on the pistes or as a witness at the Trophee Andros 2008. All parkings for cars and buses had been filled to the max. Waitingtimes of 5 up to 10 minutes at main lifts. The lifts to the Col, the Grand Fond and the Cîme the Caron were unfortunately not yet in use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
123_456, You sir are a brilliant photographer
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cfc5mu0 wrote:
123_456, You sir are a brilliant photographer

Thank you, but i am still learning every day!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
123_456, the last one is extraordinary, almost unreal, the people looking a bit like those in an architect's model. But beautiful nonetheless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hope people can keep to what this says. Les Menuires and Val Thorens so that these three threads do not get mixed up.

Could admin either combine the other two threads or change the titles of threads to be names of different resorts in the other two valleys. Hope others agree this would be a much easier way to know which thread to read.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
123_456, sorry, ment to add great pics again, thanks for posting them. Maybe you could pm me how to post pics so that i can add some for the resorts i will be in this season. Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monday, 8-12-2008

A beautyfull day. A lot of sun less wind and acceptable temperature. Less crowded then yesterday

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 8-12-08 23:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
123_456, that photo is stunning, I'm not going to be able to bear the next almost 4 weeks till I'm there with piccys like that
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rambotion, I've got to wait until March Sad (have got a little trip over new year to La Plagne though Twisted Evil)

Please keep the photos coming, 123_456, absolutely stunning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4 days.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
4 days. snowHead snowHead snowHead
Likewise snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love these photos. One has NO idea what the next days content will be as the subject matter is wonderfully random.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I love these photos. One has NO idea what the next days content will be as the subject matter is wonderfully random.

Agreed. I'm trying to learn from 123_456's photographer's eye, which is rather good.
latest report
Tuesday, 9-12-2008

Special training for the teachers of the ESF with the support of English girls

A very cloudy day and so bad visibility on the pistes
snow conditions
Wednesday, 10-12-2008

Light snowfall since last night. All day misty and low visibility. Estimated layer of new snow 20 cm.
No wind so this snow will settle also off-piste.
snow report
Thursday, 11-12-2008

Nearly the same "bad" weather as yesterday. It started snowing early in the morning. Some minor blue patches with hazy sun during lunchtime. The rest of the day it continued with light snowfall. Not more than 10 cm of fresh snow in total.
Piste are prepared here in Les Menuires several times a day. The conditons on the piste are perfect. There is hardly nobody who skies in Les Menuires. During one run down from the Mont de la Chambre I saw one skiteacher with 8 pupils and three other skiers.
snow conditions
Are the runs from VT down to LM open?
ski holidays
Friday, 12-12-2008

It stopped snowing, the clouds are gone and the sun is back again. Blue sky the whole day, but severe cold.
The valleys were filled with clouds up to 1500 m. A beautifull sight from above.
The last quiet day for Les Menuires. Tomorrow the season for Les Menuires will start.
Next week is the boarderweek in Val Thorens. On Place de Caron you can make your jumps and land on a aircushion.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-12-08 21:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
dmcmorrine wrote:
Are the runs from VT down to LM open?

The so called "liasion" between Val Thorens and Les Menuires is open since last Sunday
snow conditions
123_456, Such beautiful photographs. I am envious of my son who arrives in VT tomorrow!
snow report
123_456 wrote:
luigi wrote:
123_456, like the one of Chalet des Deux Lacs, HDR again? Happy memories of afternoon hot chocolate in front of the blazing fire when I visited in 2005.

Yes its is a HDR

Your pics as they were last year are truly amazing, is every one taken using the HDR technique? If so, I understand that you must take 3 shots at differing exposures, so how do you do that with people involved, and them not moving in between each shot?

You obviously have a great eye for what takes a good shot!

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
Only a few pictures are taken with HDR. Indeed moving objects and peoples are hardly possible with HDR. Everything should be stationary!
The Photomatix software can do small corrections for all kind of movements. Mostly i take three pictures with bracketing at a speed of 6 pictures/sec without a tripod.
The aperture is fixed only the shutterspeed varies.
snow conditions
Saturday, 13-12-2008

During the day, which started very nice, the weather has changed. At the end of the day and in evening it is storming. Outside its looks like there is a blizzard going on.
All liasons were open. Méribel/Mottaret and Courchevel could be reached by skilifts. The new TC Tougnete 1 in Méribel was for the first time in use. The cabines look the same as the cabins of the TC Cairn in Val Thorens and TC 3 Marches 1 in Les Menuires. Comfortable sittings and a good sighting !
ski holidays
Sunday, 14-12-2008

Very bad news this day. It is storming very heavy since yesterday afternoon. At a temperature of -2 degrees and windgusts of often more then 100 km/h is was nearly impossible to go out. All lifts were closed.
There are a lot of big patches on the pistes and off the pistes without any snow. Perhaps the predicted snowfall and the decrease of the storm will improve the current situation.
You can understand that due to the bad weather there are no actual pictures today.
A movieclip of the storm is available on Youtube. Go to
http://youtube.com/v/vDhzQmchCtA
snow report
123_456, Shocked excellent film!
snow report
makes me feel cold just looking at it...... brrrrr
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just thinking about Megamum being there for the weekend & hoping it hasn't spoiled things too much.
snow report
Butterfly, Sad oh yes, I forgot she's there now. I bet she'll be able to think of something to do while it blows over wink
snow report
It does look a little breezy.... but all that snow will just be blown into drifts and them dumped back onto the pistes by the bashers - right?

Only a shame that all those ghastly buildings in Les Manures weren't blown away along with all the snow Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
was just thinking the snow can't all blow away - it must go somewhere! Some massive drifts around I would imagion. Snowing on the Meribel webcams at the moment - hopefully keep going for some time to fill up those 'gaps'!
ski holidays
mcboz wrote:
was just thinking the snow can't all blow away - it must go somewhere! Some massive drifts around I would imagion. Snowing on the Meribel webcams at the moment - hopefully keep going for some time to fill up those 'gaps'!

sure in some areas you will find massive accumulations of wind blown snow...
latest report
flowa, Wink
latest report
Monday, 15-12-2008

Due to the works to make the pistes avalanche safe all lifts to the summits were closed. The liaison with Val Thorens was impossible.
The damage to the pistes caused by the storm of yesterday was less then I supposed. The damage on the higher pistes where storm even was more severe can be seen on several of my pictures.
Today the storm was over and as predicted last night fell 10 cm of fresh snow. During the day it was cloudy, but at the end of the day some sunny spells came from the north.
The temperature is with -2 degrees not bad att all for mid december. On several places, not only on the pistes but also in the village, there is a lot of action going on to remove the snowdunes.
latest report
Butterfly, flowa, It's amazing what you can find to do to occupy oneself during a storm wink
snow report
123_456 wrote:
Very bad news this day. It is storming very heavy since yesterday afternoon. At a temperature of -2 degrees and windgusts of often more then 100 km/h is was nearly impossible to go out. All lifts were closed.
There are a lot of big patches on the pistes and off the pistes without any snow. Perhaps the predicted snowfall and the decrease of the storm will improve the current situation.
You can understand that due to the bad weather there are no actual pictures today.
A movieclip of the storm is available on Youtube. Go to
http://youtube.com/v/vDhzQmchCtA

Was everybody else secretly hoping the bloke carrying the big cardboard box was going to fall on his arse?

Yes you were, admit it.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Butterfly, flowa, It's amazing what you can find to do to occupy oneself during a storm wink

post on snowHead s !!!!!
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Do tell. I'm at home with a nasty bout of the old gentlemen's influenza, and I can literally find nothing to do at all.
ski holidays
paulio, I think the influenza must be affecting your imaginative thought processes!! wink

helena57, Of course!! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy