Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Here is Les Menuires and Val Thorens 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Saturday, 3-1-2009

The weather is still sunny. The temperature is far below zero and there is hardly no wind.
Most visitors of the Christmas/ NewYear period are gone. On the hard pistes it is very quiet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunday, 4-1-2009

Sunny and cold. Pistes are in good shape, although very hard.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monday, 5-1-2009

A little bit less sunny today. Some small clouds and more wind. The weather is changing, the pressure drops. Probably some snow on Tuesday and Wednesday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
123_456, wow, beautiful - again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
123_456, Thanks for the reports and hoping for snow this week. Looking forward to getting there next week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tuesday, 6-1-2009

This morning at 8 o'clock it started snowing at a temperature of -10 degrees. It looked very promissing, but the snowfall ended after half an hour. The total amount of snow was less than 1 centimeter (!).
The rest of the day was dark, misty and heavy clouded. Only during short periods it became a little bit lighter. This day will not be long in memory.
In several regions of France the snowfall was heavy and also the predictions for the 3-Vallées were good. Even in the South Alps in the direction of the Côte d'Azur this night there will a lot snow.
For the mean time the temperature stays low and so the snowlayer will stay in a good condition.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
123_456, Nice pic, is this in HDR? Is a tripod required, or does a really steady hand do the job, i presume the HDR is the same image taken a number of times at different exposures? Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liam wrote:
123_456, Nice pic, is this in HDR? Is a tripod required, or does a really steady hand do the job, i presume the HDR is the same image taken a number of times at different exposures? Very Happy snowHead

This not a HDR pictures. see also : http://www.flickr.com/photos/123_456/3174159803/meta/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wednesday, 7-1-2009

Today it was much brighter than yesterday despite the clouds between roughly 3500 and 4000 meters. At the end of the afternoon there were some minor spells. The temperature at 3000 meter this afternoon was -12 degrees. Above 2500 meter there was a strong wind from the North East. Due to the strong wind the cabines of the Bruyères lift oscillated too much and the lift was temporarily stopped. The trip from 1800 to 2800 meters lasted twice as long as normal.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thursday, 8-1-2009

After a few dark and grey days the sun was back again today. There were some big clouds around the summits in Val Thorens, but in Méribel/Mottaret there were less clouds and the sun shined nearly the whole day. Just like yesterday there was a strong wind above 2500 meters. It is still cold and there is no snow expected for the coming days. Due to the sunshine it was more crowded on the pistes and at the lifts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Your pictures are fantastic! I'm off to Les Bettaix on the 17th and i'm praying for the dry spell to end before then as i'm not very good on ice!
Sad

Keep the photo's coming, and thank you!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

i'm not very good on ice!

Is there a lot of ice in the 3 Valleys? There's remarkably little round here, though some pistes are getting hard-packed. The consistently cold temperatures and good piste-bashing have kept things really good.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pamw, YES! We were in 3V last week and I saw three or four unmarked patches of genuine scottish blue water ice on pistes - causing chaos as you would expect. Some teriible rock fields on La Masse too - the 3V grooming/patrolling operation this season seems a bit crap IMO
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friday, 9-1-2009

Sunny but cold. Hardly no clouds and less wind than yesterday. The snowconditions can be found on the blue and the less steep parts of the red pistes. Where necessary snow from the sides is brought to the pistes. Most pistes are hard, but there is enough snow for braking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My snowreport may be a little dated but some of us have a very long coach journey between val thorens and internet access. Yesterday I found mixed conditions, the high south facing slopes of les meniures were excellent first thing in the morning with absolutley no people on. The slopes of la masse were generally pretty rocky with the nicer snow to be found just to the sides of the pistes and away from the main red down where it had been skied less. The slopes of val thorens started off very nice in the morning but became very scraped in the afternoon. The black piste cascades however stayed lovely throughout the day.

Generally I found that the better snow conditions were to be found in the meribel and courchevel valleys.
ski holidays
rambotion, have you just got back off the sheffield uni trip by any chance?!?!
latest report
Saturday, 10-1-2009

The weather has improved since yesterday. A lot of sun, less wind and less cold.
Saturday is normally a quiet day, but this Saturday was very quiet.
No waitingtimes at the lifts, you could go straight on.
The piste are covered was a thin layer of snow, but they stay in a good condition. On some place there are signs with "manque de neige" and yellow/black poles mark the places without snow.

1000 --- Today i have reached the milestone of the 1000 th picture of the current season on --- 1000
snow report
Well done!

I love your pics!
ski holidays
Brilliant. PLEASE keep the pics going....heading to VT in March...the daily pics are whetting my appetite!
ski holidays
jwhiteley1, Hi jack, I take it that it is you, fancy meeting you here! I'm Steven in case you hadn't guessed
snow conditions
rambotion, stevie wonder!! haha, what a coincidance indeed
snow conditions
Sunday, 11-1-2009

Today beautifull weather. The sky was more blue and the temperature more agreable than yesterday.

A short explanation of the picture of today taken from the TS Trois Vallées 2.

This group is learning how to descend from the slippery, black piste Marielle Goitschel. One of them is fallen and the others are waiting. From left above a fallen snowboarder is sliding down with great speed. Everybody in the group steps away, splitting the group in two and the snowboarder slides further on without harming anybody. He ends his slide down right.
ski holidays
Monday, 12-1-2009

There is hardly news to tell today. The weather is beautifull and the pistes are in the same condition as before.
The second part of the Bruyères lift in Les Menuires was closed for technical reasons. What the cause of the technical interruption was and how long it will lasts was not told. The liftcompagny SEVABEL gives in these cases very few information. Perhaps he will be open to-morrow again.
In the lift I met a family from South-Africa. They were specially here for the wintersports. The children had never seen real snow before. After a week skilessons they were doning very well.
snow report
123_456, I was caught up in that Bruyeres thing - a royal pain i.t.a. for us coming over from Mottaret and hoping to ski VT - I'll go via Cote Brune next time I think, but of course these things happen with anything mechanical
ski holidays
Tuesday, 13-1-2009

Perhaps a litlle boring, but just like the days before, it was beautifull today.
After the last important snowfall nearly 4 weeks ago the pistes are in a good condition.
For next Monday and Tuesday the long term weatherforecast says : snowfall with a probability of 60%
latest report
Wednesday, 14-1-2009

This morning at great distance in the north and west there were clouds. The beginning of the weather change after a some sunny days. The day itself was sunny, but at the end of the day some high clouds were coming. Due to the strong wind it feeled less comfortable than yesterday.
snow conditions
123_456, again some great pics. love the one on Monday, 12-1-2009 of the group parting.
snow report
Thursday, 15-1-2009

Against all odds it started snowing yesterday night at 22.00. The light snowfall ended at 02.00. In total 7 cm fresh snow has been fallen. In St Martin des Belleville and Méribel there was hardly no new fresh snow. In the morning all clouds were disappeared and the sun shined the whole day at a blue sky. The condition of the pistes is improved in Les Menuires and Val Thorens. It is still very cold and in the shade it is -8 degrees.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Enjoying the photos, keep them up! No fresh snow in Orelle or the top of VT today either.
snow conditions
fab work 123, keep them coming! counting down to my les menuires trip on the 31st.....Any pictures of bruyeres lift area? Apparently thats where our chalet is (ski amis) - roll on the forcast 'heavy snow' Smile aj xx
ski holidays
Friday, 16-1-2009

Today it was less sunny as before. Some high clouds disturbed the sun. In general it feeled a little colder. According to the latest forecast the snowfall will start at sunday afternoon. The snowconditions on the pistes are hardly changed. On some well-known places you see some small stones, but everywhere you can ski with problems.
ski holidays
10JH, 123_456, no fresh snow?? skied 4 - 5 inches of fresh in Mottaret yesterday and the odd nice patch of powder in the lac du lou...
today was even better... 450m vertical of perfect knee-deep powder in the trees in the Maurienne valley today...slough-management was required - I kid you not!!
ski holidays
Roll on the 14th February - hopefully the snow will be plentiful between now and then Smile
latest report
Saturday, 17-1-2009

Sun and high clouds today. The temperature was a few degrees higher than in the days before. In the afternoon it became colder. As usual this Saturday was quiet. There a lot of places without snow on the pistes.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
10JH, 123_456, no fresh snow?? skied 4 - 5 inches of fresh in Mottaret yesterday and the odd nice patch of powder in the lac du lou...
today was even better... 450m vertical of perfect knee-deep powder in the trees in the Maurienne valley today...slough-management was required - I kid you not!!

Congratulations in the finding the fresh snow!
latest report
a.j. wrote:
fab work 123, keep them coming! counting down to my les menuires trip on the 31st.....Any pictures of bruyeres lift area? Apparently thats where our chalet is (ski amis) - roll on the forcast 'heavy snow' Smile aj xx

I do not know a chalet with the name Ski Amis in Les Menuires/Bruyères.

Here are two shots of Les Bruyères

latest report
I'm working for Ski Amis, you can see the chalet in the bottom photo, the entrance is to the left of the big glass windows on the right hand side of the photo. Snow is good after today!

123 do you know of any good shops in Les Menuires to buy ski boots, have tried some but none of them seem particularly knowledgeable!
snow report
Hi guys,

Some great pictures on here, ready looking forward to arriving on the 24th. Did the big fall of snow happen this afternoon - the web cams I saw looked still and foggy with little new snow, any update would be appreciated Very Happy
latest report
10JH wrote:
I'm working for Ski Amis, you can see the chalet in the bottom photo, the entrance is to the left of the big glass windows on the right hand side of the photo. Snow is good after today!

123 do you know of any good shops in Les Menuires to buy ski boots, have tried some but none of them seem particularly knowledgeable!

I thought this complex consists the new hotel ISATIS and restaurant Cocon des Neiges.

Go for snowboots to Absolue Sports in Réberty 1850 and ask for Serge or Dominique.
latest report
Sunday, 18-1-2009

This morning at 10.00 the snowfall started. It was a light snowfall at about freezing point and with a strong wind. Most lifts were closed today and it was horrible to be outside. At the end of the afternoon the wind blowed less and at 20.00 the snowfall stopped. Due to the strong winds it is not so easy to estimated precisely the thickness of the snowlayer. But it did not exceeds 10 centimeters.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy