Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free 1 Day Beginners Navigation Course in Snowdonia

Poster: A snowHead
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41525

An interesting thread to read, Lots of good comments.

There is one place left on this particular course

As a special offer to snowheads (members only,sorry) I am happy to run a free 1 day Beginners Navigation Course in Snowdonia.This will probably be sometime in October and on a weekend date although if there are people interested in a midweek date this may also be an option.
http://snowdonia-adventures.co.uk/skillscourses/navigation.html

What qualifies me to be able to do this? One I'm the boss and if I want to run a free course I can! I also hold both Summer and Winter Mountain leader awards, Im a NNAS Gold level provider and I also work training Summer Mountain leaders and also training and assessing all levels of the D of E awards. Im a member of the Mountain Leader Training Association (MLTA), The BMC and Ogwen Valley MRT. Needless to say I have been in the hills and mountains of the world for a number of years.

This is not a "company plug" just a free 1 day course to help some of you gain knowledge and confidence that may prove useful one day, to others it may be the chance to brush up on existing skills.

There has been some good early interest in this offer from the previous thread and the maximum group size Im happy to run is 8, bigger group sizes equals less learning.

Also, a fellow snowhead has mentioned possible use of a self catered club hut in North Wales at £8pppn and this would be easy to arrange for midweek dates but more difficult for weekend dates.

I can also provide maps and compasses to those who need them.

If anyones interested just PM me.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-08-08 18:22; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd love to come but will be away (walking in France!) much of October. Will check my dates. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very generous! Am interested in this in theory, definitely. Whether logistics allows it will be determined nearer the time though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a fantastic offer, which I'd have loved to take up, but unfortunately have no free weekends in October. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi All,
Thanks to all those who have enquired so far.
I think the best way to run this course is for me to pick a date well in advance so everyone has a good amount of time to plan for the date.

The maximum group size I will run is 8 people for a free course on a first come basis.

Im going to choose the date of Saturday November 15th 2008.

Course Location is Snowdonia North Wales.

Suitable areas to stay are Llanberis, Capel Curig and Betws y Coed, all are within 5 to 15 minutes away from where the course will be run.

Those that are definately going to be able to make the above date should post on this thread as well as PM me.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 22-08-08 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Put me down please (on the list that is)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mark handford, really sorry, not free that weekend either. But thanks anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mark handford, There used to be a definition of levels of users somewhere but I can't find it. Are we all considered members or is there a certain level required?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mogs, I understood it to be: a 'user' has not made a donation to snowheads for website upkeep etc as the course is free to snowhead members you could make a donation and still get a very cheap course Smile and help to keep this great site going.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mogs, from elsewhere on the site

admin wrote:
A "member" is a Super-Snowhead, a Mega-Snowhead, a Hors Piste, or a Freerider

Obviously, he missed Moderator from that list wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mark handford, Sounds fine to me. I don't mind that at all. Can you put me down for a place and I'll make my donation from home over the weekend if that's ok. Hope so. Thanks very much

Elizabeth B, Thanks. You can't direct me to the page please? Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, sorry snowHead Mogs, I have added your name to our diary for the course. And heres the link to user definitions:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/support_snowHeads.php
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mogs, I took that quote from http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6072
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tried to make a donation recently, and it all went wrong because Paypal didn't work.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's the weekend my kids are in their big stage production otherwise I may have been interested
latest report
Oh I'd have loved to do this, but I have promised to provide voluntary sign language support for a local association's AGM that day rolling eyes
snow report
I'm definately interested, I'll PM you.
latest report
geepee, Thanks you are also now on the course list.
ski holidays
mark handford, Have you still got any places for a beginner?
Have sent you a pm.
snow conditions
Linds, Thanks for the PM, your name is also on the course list.

Only 3 places are left.
Thanks
Mark
latest report
Thanks Mark.
Anybody any ideas on accomodation yet? I thought not Laughing
I would come down and stay Friday and Saturday night, Is this place ok for location Mark?
http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/wales/hostels/Betws-Y-Coed/index.aspx

Last time I was in Wales in November it was (a long time ago rolling eyes ) and I was on my RAF basic training camping course and it was so cold they pulled us out after 24hrs back to our Hereford base Shocked
Must remember to bring the thermals Smile
latest report
Linds wrote:
I was on my RAF basic training camping course and it was so cold they pulled us out after 24hrs back to our Hereford base Shocked
I could say something... but I won't. Other than to add that we were left out when the pongoes were being pulled off Dartmoor (-20 plus further windchill and flooding Skullie ). Problem with the RN is the bootnecks take you for a week on Dartmoor, evil b*ggers...

Navigation is best taught on location so to speak. So enjoy the course everyone.
ski holidays
Navigation course? As anyone who has skied with me knows, I need it more than anyone. Have to decline though. Not sure I could find Wales Embarassed .
snow conditions
maggi, I'm sure Mark will sleep easier tonight, knowing that you've declined wink
snow report
Mark, if you still have a place, please include me.

I have been feeling a bit dishonest about enjoying the benefits of the Snowheads site for nix and this will prompt me now to make a suitable donation. Also to have a first try at a PM.

I live about an hour and a half away and would hope to be able to travel and arrive in good time.

I do too much following of others and would like to build on ill-absorbed past attempts at navigation.
snow conditions
Quote:

Not sure I could find Wales

My niece once got on a train in Worcester, to go shopping in Birmingham. The journey seemed to be taking a while, and she rang her mother to ask "Mum, is there a big lake or a sea or something on the way to Birmingham? Only I was wondering because I've just passed a "welcome to Wales" sign. " She was doing A level geography at the time....

I think I'll be able to come, Mark, and I think I'll be able to find Wales, especially as I was born there. Never went much to North Wales, mind you. Are there still any places?
snow report
Farley Goode, and pam w, you are both on the course.

So far on the course is:

Martski
Paulio
Mogs
Geepee
Linds
Farley Goode
Pam W

There is only one place left.
ski holidays
I would point out that at this stage though, I am only a maybe. I am also not a proper paid up snowhead, though I have tried (really!).

If anybody else more definite wants my place, please feel free to take it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon wrote:
Linds wrote:
I was on my RAF basic training camping course and it was so cold they pulled us out after 24hrs back to our Hereford base Shocked
I could say something... but I won't. Other than to add that we were left out when the pongoes were being pulled off Dartmoor (-20 plus further windchill and flooding Skullie ). Problem with the RN is the bootnecks take you for a week on Dartmoor, evil b*ggers...

Navigation is best taught on location so to speak. So enjoy the course everyone.

as usual Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
OK, my OH would like to do the course as well. So that's two of us.
snow conditions
OK, my OH would like to do the course as well. So that's two of us.
snow conditions
The course has one place left

Those confirmed are:

Martski
Mogs
Geepee
Linds
Farley Goode
Pam W
Pam W other half

Also coming along will be Elizabeth B who will be assisting, to help her get extra group days for her assessment as a summer mountain leader.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-08-08 18:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The course has one place left

Those confirmed are:

Martski
Mogs
Geepee
Linds
Farley Goode
Pam W
Pam W other half

Also coming along will be Elizabeth B who will be assisting, to help her get extra group days for her assessment as a summer mountain leader.

Can all course members e-mail me at info@snowdonia-adventures.co.uk so that I have your e-mail addresses to send course joining instructions to in the next few days.

Looking forward to meeting you all in the next few weeks.

Cheers for now
Mark

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-08-08 18:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Aaagghh.

That'll teach me to log in over Bank Holiday weekends in the future!
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, with your patented terrain checking system you don't need to navigate wink
snow report
spyderjon, very true Mr Pathfinder-General Laughing
snow report
Mosha Marc, I've PMed mark to say that I'm pulling out of this.
ski holidays
Hi All, There is one place left on this course. Thanks to those who have mailed me their confirmation.
I will e-mail you all direct with the course joining instructions a little closer to the time.

Cheers
Mark
ski holidays
spyderjon, Hi, I would love to come over to yours for a ski tune course at some point this year, midweek would be great for me.
Cheers
Mark
snow report
mark handford wrote:
spyderjon, Hi, I would love to come over to yours for a ski tune course at some point this year, midweek would be great for me.
Cheers
Mark

No problem Mark. Give me a call when you're ready & I'll send you directions wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy