Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recreational DH Equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been out of running DH skis since college...that was back in the early 90s. I recently stumbled upon a citizen race series in the northeast where I live. North American Downhill Series (NADS). NADSNH.COM. They run DH races and SGs.

Anyway, I still have an old mid-80s vintage pair of Fisher 223s. I want to upgrade, but don't have a lot of money to spend. I've seen a pair of 2001 Atomic SGs (212) that were reasonable and looked interesting. Also a pair of 2001 Atomic DHs (217) that were reasonable. I'm not up on the new technology, but for my purposes, an early 2000s vintage ski should be fine. Question is, for what I'm doing and recognizing that I'm not 21 anymore, should I go with more of a SG ski that isn't quite as long. Any thoughts? Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recreational and DH in the same sentence... Shocked

Racer417, welcome to snowHead.

I'd say you're probably thinking along the right lines. The difference of 5cm is not huge, so provided they're acceptable under the rules for both SG and DH in the series, it is probably going to be a good compromise buy to pick up the SG skis for both disciplines. 212 should still give you enough stability, even in DH, provided you don't change your mind and start going professional wink.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha, ha...thanks. That's what I was thinking. No concern about going professional (as if that were an option)...I'm keeping my day job. I've never been on Atomics, but I imagine that for my purposes, just about any race ski will be fine. Again, I'm just looking to have some fun and not kill myself.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Atomics have an excellent reputation for these types of skis - there isn't much else available, especially priced for the 'recreational' lunatic. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lurve my Atomics, everything they say about edge hold is true, they have a vice-like grip on the mountain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any of you heard about the Atomic DH/GS combo ski? They are described as race stock "flat" skis. I found a guy selling some 2001 skis...212s.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Racer417, sure it's DH/GS combo not DH/SG? Simple typo...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes...stupid typo. DH/SG ski. Know anything about it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Racer417, yeah it's a ski that's a little longer than a normal SG ski and a little shorter than a normal DH ski...if your series doesn't strictly enforce FIS shape rules (and maybe even if they do) that's the sort of thing I'd be buying...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy