Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling with a young baby...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Brilliant, just wanna say thanks to everyone for your help and advice. You've really helped put our minds at ease, roll on February Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoy the holiday, and don't panic about taking a little one. We have done a resonable amount of travel since pielette arrived on the scene (now 22 months), the first time being 8 weeks (with grandparents in tow)

My advice would be to continue the breatfeeding - makes it much easier than worrying about bottles on the flight. As people have said packaged cartons of formula seem like a good back-up plan, but even if it is sealed security will probably ask you to put it in a bottle and taste it. If you want to take any cartons for the flight or transfer, buy it once you've gone through security - Boots seem fairly aware of this now, and the last flight we made from Gatwick had a big choice of formula. Definately feed baby on the descent to prevent ears popping.

Again I probably wouldn't worry about the cot situation as we've had one everywhere we've asked (although it did feel like we were putting her in a laundry skip in one place (but I guess it was still safe)). If you do want to take one most airlines will allow a travel cot and a buggy for infants without charging extra. Most 'travel cots' however are hardly (over 10kg!) unless you get a pop-up version. We've currently got a bush-baby pop-up tent type thing which if needed will serve pielette as a quick bed until at least 3-4 yr (some of the smaller one are only large enough until 6months)

You'll be able to take a buggy up to the departure gate, but you're not likely to get it back until baggage reclaim - so be prepared to do a fair bit of carrying in the airport (we have found a sling / hip seat invaluable in this situation). A sling might also be a good idea on the plane at your little one's age (if they are content in one) as it will prevent you having to continually hold baby in cramped conditions, especially if they fall asleep and become a dead weight.

Don't worry if little one cries, it's not that loud to everyone else at that age (honestly).

Enjoy the skiing - and try to make sure you get to do some Mrs Mac Daddy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
libby, the lack of a comma in that last sentence is either comic genius, or an amusingly unintentional suggestion of how to fill the quiet nights... Embarassed

Do I get a grammatical pedantry award yet please?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do as you will for your quiet nights, but I second the suggestion of a sling. I used one a lot when travelling with our number 3. All the time, in fact. She was a bit little for a buggy, at 6 weeks, and anything more bulky was out of the question given the amount of travelling we were doing. When she was a bit older I had to fly across the Atlantic for a meeting and as I was still part breast-feeding, and her grandmother was desperate to see her again, I took her too. Having the sling made it quite easy for me to travel on my own with the baby, who was about 4 months old by then, with a carry on bag with some spare nappies and a change of clothes for her. My mother met me at Heathrow with a car, a borrowed pushchair and a bag of ill-assorted but warm baby clothes she'd picked up at Oxfam (we were living in the tropics) and "baby sat" in a friend's house in Wandsworth when I was in the office. Little babies really don't need all the paraphernalia people seem to carry round for them. That comes later..... my grand-daughter was in a terrible quandary when, at 3, she was told she had to pick just 5 of her collection of Barbies to take on holiday. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Echoing a few of the other comments re airport security & baby milk, I took a flight out of East Mids airport this yr & even tho I'd bought one of those sealed cartons of ready made milk they still made me taste it as it was over 100mls. I pointed out that the milk would no longer be sterile but it didn't make any difference. I ended up leaving that carton at security & bought another one in Boots. Never used to be a prob when my daughter was younger & on powder formula - I would take a baby bottle pre-filled with evian which I would taste at security & then add the powder when required.
Don't know if anyone mentioned this already but when flying I always found it handy to give my daughter a drink of water on landing to prevent ear trouble if it wasn't time for her milk yet.
As regards sterilising (should you wish to give the odd bottle), I've filled bottles & rinsed teats with boiling water when I haven't had all the kit with me & never had a problem.
As for toys & entertainment my daughter always liked boxes & bags that she could open which I filled with lots of little bits & pieces. Kept her amused for ages taking everything out & then putting it back in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Kept her amused for ages taking everything out & then putting it back in.

Ah yes - how that takes me back. Taking things out and putting them back (just dropping a few under the seat of the grumpy man in front). The best game ever. That girl was obviously in training for being a grown up girly with a handbag. It never palls.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The_Mac_Daddy, you can buy dried packets of savoury baby food for stage 1 weaning - I think Heinz make them. Plus you have all the baby cereals. I've used them on holiday as they are light so you can pack loads of boxes and you just mix them up with boiled water. They are probably not the most nutritious but they are quite mild tasting so good for early weaning and fine for just a week. I'm sure you will be able to buy some other food in a local supermarket. I've also taken the 'Ella's kitchen' sachets and filled up a small box with them and packed it in the suitcase so she also got some fruit and fresher organic meals. Plus the fruit sachets can be mixed with baby rice.

My daughter didn't have a problem with the Milton tablets. I didn't find the smell as strong as I expected and just gave the bottles one rinse with boiled water before filling them up. I've taken up to 6 bottles through security on 3 occasions in the last year to allow for the journey the other end as well as the flight and never had a problem, I just had to taste them. The same goes for jars of food. We were restricted to 2 jars in hand luggage and had to taste them so they needed to be used up that day. We carried them in a small cool bag.

If you need to use bottled water for drinks or to make up formula then check the sodium content and boil as normal. Ideally the level of sodium should be under 10mg/l, but 20mg/l is ok. We found our baby got thirsty in the drier air and altitude. The following link might help.

http://www.stickyfingerstravel.com/Making_up_baby_formula_on_holidays/Making_up_baby_formula_on_holidays.694.html

And don't worry, it will be fine. Just make lots of lists and plan for every eventuality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pollittcl wrote:

For the sun problem buy a full sun shade for your buggy - they are made in Australia and look like very heavy mosquito netting, I don't remember the brand but I would imagine a decent pram shop would know (I last bought one this summer in Peter Jones).

Shade-a-babe. Just google it and there are plenty of places you can buy it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The_Mac_Daddy, if you spend a lot of money on a sunshade you can bet your bottom euro you'll have grey skies and manky visibility all week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bet you're right Pam, I guess sunscreen will do but leave those decisions up to Mrs Mac.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy