Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely unknown resorts

Poster: A snowHead
boardstupid wrote:
La Contamine. ...

It has dissapeared off the radar in terms of brouchure listings.. Puzzled

Helps if you can spell Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
paulio, sorry. First I go off at half cock with a cat, now you have people who think Les Contamines is an unknown resort...

I could contribute Areches-Beaufort. It's not unknown, it's just that most British skiers have never heard of it. Or Flumet. A small place, with one of the nastiest drag lifts in the business.

Courcheval...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about La Giettaz? It's now linked to the Jaillet/Combloux sector of Megève, but by a 6.4k track (and two tedious drags on the way back) so it's not exactly invaded from that side. It's quite nice when you get there though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne wrote:
Not a feline word, I promise.
Apparently the world’s smallest resort is Mosset - 100m vertical, not sure how many lifts but I would think only one.
http://www.prades-tourisme.com/new/alentours/engels_mosset.html#

To quote
In winter you can ski in “the smallest ski resort in the world”, at the Col de Jau, just above the village. Seduced by the vitality of the village, the warm welcome of the Mossétans the richness of the culture and heritage and the presence of many artists

So if you want to be seduced and welcomed by artists as you whizz down the 100m then this is the place to go.

"Smallest", by what critiria?

I learned to ski in a "hill" of about 100 FEET. It doesn't even resemble a hill. More like a pile of dirt in the middle of farm land. You can't even see it over the snow bank on the roadside, until you arrive at the plot of dirt they call parking...

I believe it actually has a name. Something like Mt. Holly. That's the first word that came out of many people's mouth when they finally saw the "mount"! wink

But no, it's NOT indoors. It's REAL SNOW. Tons of it, in fact. Just more suitable for x-c than for downhill skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne wrote:
Not a feline word, I promise.
Apparently the world’s smallest resort is Mosset - 100m vertical, not sure how many lifts but I would think only one.
http://www.prades-tourisme.com/new/alentours/engels_mosset.html#

To quote
In winter you can ski in “the smallest ski resort in the world”, at the Col de Jau, just above the village. Seduced by the vitality of the village, the warm welcome of the Mossétans the richness of the culture and heritage and the presence of many artists

So if you want to be seduced and welcomed by artists as you whizz down the 100m then this is the place to go.

"Smallest", by what critiria?

I learned to ski at a "hill" of about 100 FEET. It doesn't even resemble a hill. More like a pile of dirt in the middle of farm land. You can't even see it over the snow bank on the roadside, until you arrive at the plot of dirt they call parking...

I believe it actually has a name. Something like Mt. Holly. That's the first word that came out of many people's mouth when they finally saw the "mount"! wink

But no, it's NOT indoors. It's REAL SNOW. Tons of it, in fact. Just more suitable for x-c than for downhill skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Laughing Laughing ........( Evil or Very Mad )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, La Giettaz is on my "must do" list for this season. Come to that, it was on my "must do" list last year too....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc, USA? NY State? Pictures please!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strange how certain resorts get completely ignored by Brit TOs although they are in fact pretty decent ski areas. Best example I know of being Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang,

Even now I think most Brits do not see Germany as a holiday destination. But your right Oberstdorf is a great place, gets nearly the same weather as the Arlberg so always plenty of snow when I have been.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JimSearle, It's only partly Germany! The Fellhorn-Kanzelwand area spans Germany and Austria. It's a powder hole. In fact you can often see the Valuga from one of the ski areas in Kleinwalsertal! Unfortunately in contrast to the British TOs the Dutch TOs have very much latched onto it Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal.

Probably ignored because so few Brits could pronounce it whereas the Dutch wouldn't have a problem. Brits probably can't pronounce Les Houches either, but they think they can. wink I can now having been educated by French speaking snowHead s.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, the Dutch 'think' they can pronounce it, but they can't. When they speak German they sound like someone's rammed a frog with streptococcus down their throat rolling eyes But that doesn't stop them from knowing more about mountains, skiing, avalanches, what the farmers think the weather signs portend, than anybody else on the planet rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Super St. Bernard, www.espacesupersaintbernard.ch, one lift at the top of the St. Bernard Pass. Several fantastic off piste routes from Switzerland into Italy, a few through a cool old tunnel. The front side has a couple of pistes, if you could call them that, quite steep at the top and long too.
snow conditions
SpindleruvMlyn Czech Republic - well known by Dutch but few Brits. Had great holiday there Feb 2005 plentyof snow but cold, not much sun that week. Little Angel
snow conditions
BOARD RIDER GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink
snow report
This is a list of ski areas and resorts in Iran:

Dizin
Shemshak
Tochal
Damavand
Abali
Darbandsar
Khor Ski Resort
Khoshaku, (Urmia)
Sahand Ski Resort, (Tabriz)
Kuhrang, (Bakhtiyari)
Kakan, (Yasuj)
Tarik-darreh, (Hamadan)
Alvares, (Ardabil)
Sepidan, Kohkiluyeh
Shahmirzad Ski Resort, Semnan province
Shandiz, Khorasan province
Chelgard, (Shahr-e Kord)

Shemshak looks fantastic but I'm having a job persuading my mates to go... they like to drink their beer openly.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 13-01-09 0:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:

There's a shed load of places in france/austria where there's a tow and a couple of runs. For example - I'm going to go here for an 1/2 day this season

One of my local resorts, skied there twice this season, beware the avalanche risk wink

http://www.data-avalanche.org/alea_avalanches/view_item/Avalanche/50000269
latest report
Ober Gatlinburg Tennessee, near Dolly Parton's Dollywood Theme Park Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Les Monts d'Olmes and Ax-les-Thermes in the French Pyrenees. I had a day's skiing in Ax before Christmas. I haven't skied at Mont d'Olmes but have walked there on a miserable autumn day.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Ober Gatlinburg Tennessee, near Dolly Parton's Dollywood Theme Park Toofy Grin

Haha. That's a good 'un.
snow report
A couple of "ski hills" in Colorado worth a look are Loveland and Eldora.
If you ever stay in Boulder Eldora is your local hill - about a 30-45 min drive away.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
pam w, the Dutch 'think' they can pronounce it, but they can't. When they speak German they sound like someone's rammed a frog with streptococcus down their throat

Quite often Germans think I am Dutch. Now I know why rolling eyes

Since this thread has been resurrected, I could suggest two areas in Tirol near me: Durchholzen, where I ski the occasional day, and Kössen, though I would expect it to be better known (was a favourite of mine because of the Kaiserschmarr'n but was unfortunately removed from my season ticket a few years back, so I don't go so often now).

The nearest area to me is the Geigelstein, near Schleching, but I think they have stopped preparing the pistes in the past few years (still popular with tourers). Last skied there in 2005. Actually, I almost became a shareholder in the lift, on the principle: support local skiing, but that idea fell through.
latest report
Great thread!

I've another US one - Okemo

Be gentle with me, I'm new here! Sad

Steve M
ski holidays
Bridger
ski holidays
Crevacol http://www.crevacol.it/
snow conditions
Oh, and just thought of another.

Hammarbybacken. http://www.skistar.com/hammarbybacken/

But being in a capital city it is obviously known to the locals.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney wrote:
Troodos, Cyprus.

I was there with my family when I was only about 5, but don't honestly remember it.

We went to the summit of the troodos mountains in september 2005 and passed the lifts and slopes.

Had to stop and take a pic!!!

snow conditions
Mentioned it before - but Churchill Falls, Labrador. A single piste down the side of a gorge, with a lift to bring you back up again. Probably not worth travelling to if you live more than 10 miles away.

Resort is stretching it a bit
latest report
fearfully submitting my first post here:
Mt.Hermon in Israel-4 lifts,a number of drag-lifts,the problem is making your way down through half of the Israels population(the other half is skiing in Europe) Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-01-09 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Didnt see it listed on this thread so far (May have missed it) but a couple of seasons ago Crystal were taking booking to the Lebenon and then they had the conflict with Isreal. (Lebenon, not Crystal!!)

Cant remember the names of the resorts or even know if they were any good!!! Puzzled
snow report
Manning Park, BC - I even blogged and posted pics - http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!2175.entry - to ensure it remains completely unknown Smile
latest report
Arizona Snowbowl, Flagstaff - the most amazing views of the Grand Canyon as you ride chairlift.
Las Vegas ski area, 45 mins away from strip.
I skied both in April 2005 and they were each great fun for the day.
Devils Elbow, Peterborough, Ontario
ski holidays
Sljeme (http://www.sljeme.hr/) in Croatia. Right next to Zagreb
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Falls Creek

Thats my local, only 9 hours drive from Adelaide. Laughing
ski holidays
mil46, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
Another one that probably isn't known here is Kalpalinna in Finland (though I see there is a FIS Masters Special Slalom there on 23rd January, so it can't be completely unknown). And that is pretty well what it is, a couple of slalom hang runs (although on the Internet I read there are 18 lifts and 12 ski slopes, the highest 92m; I must have missed something!). I had an enjoyable evening's night skiing there once.
Internet wrote:
Kalpalinna is one of the oldest ski centres in Finland, with facilities for Alpine skiing, snowboarding, freestyle and speed skiing. NEW: Kalpalinna cross center: ATV- and Snow mobile safaris

I suspect that there might be more of these smaller areas dotted around Finland, for they do have the snow.
snow report
Quote:

mil46, welcome to Snowheads.

pam w,thanks! Nice to be here Very Happy
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Didnt see it listed on this thread so far (May have missed it) but a couple of seasons ago Crystal were taking booking to the Lebenon and then they had the conflict with Isreal. (Lebenon, not Crystal!!)/

I'm pretty sure it was Cedars - although there are quite a few others: http://www.skileb.com/ski-lebanon/resorts/ I was on a course with a few guys from Beirut last Autumn - and they made Lebanon sound an extremely nice to visit Shocked

In summer, we've been a to few resorts in Northern Spain (Picos de Europa - not Pyrenees) although I don't recall the names, and to Col de Vergio on Corsica.

If you want somewhere which is *really* isolated (in terms of being a long long way from any other ski resort), then Tiffendale is hard to beat: http://www.tiffindell.co.za/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy