Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely unknown resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Well not *completely* unknown, obviously. Would be interested to see a list of 'never knew there was one there!' type places. Real snow, not indoor or dryslope.

I'll start:

Sigulda, Latvia

I've had a go on the bobsled thing, but I was there in summer so can't speak for the skiing.

This thread is going to go nowhere, isn't it...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mt Etna, Sicily. Small piste network, off-piste is a bit rocky but the apres-ski fireworks can be a little bit better than average.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Troodos, Cyprus.

I was there with my family when I was only about 5, but don't honestly remember it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, learnt to ski there whilst in the army nice little place from what i can remember
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Folgarida - I have worked there for the last 6 years and when I say the name everyone says the same thing. Never heard of it, and you can't book it in any brochure in Thomas Cooks - so it can't really exist.
It's in the Ialian Dolomites by the way. Even Mr Admin chap asked "where is it".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Falls Creek
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tiffindell, South Africa.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2000overdrive wrote:
Tiffindell, South Africa.

Isn't he a presenter of car programmes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne wrote:
Folgarida - I have worked there for the last 6 years and when I say the name everyone says the same thing. Never heard of it, and you can't book it in any brochure in Thomas Cooks - so it can't really exist.
It's in the Ialian Dolomites by the way. Even Mr Admin chap asked "where is it".

Yeah but if you fess up to it being in Trentino then a lot of sailors/windsurfers would now instantly where it was, and given the high cross-over of sports etc..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, disqualified. The rule of the game is "never knew there was one there!".

In the Dolomites, next to (and linked with!) Madonna hardly falls into that bracket, does it? Reeling off a list of minor satellite resorts not necessarily covered by the First Choice brochure isn't really what I had in mind.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Solda in Italy

Les Karellis in France

Obersdorf in Germany

Sillian in Austria

Big Mountain in US

Ski Smithers in Canada

Could name loads more...resorts that everyone knows about are highly overated Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
Well not *completely* unknown, obviously. Would be interested to see a list of 'never knew there was one there!' type places. Real snow, not indoor or dryslope.

I'll start:

Sigulda, Latvia

I've had a go on the bobsled thing, but I was there in summer so can't speak for the skiing.

How do you define a resort?

There's a shed load of places in france/austria where there's a tow and a couple of runs. For example - I'm going to go here for an 1/2 day this season

Would an frenchie ski Yad Moss in the UK have gone to a 'resort' or do you only get those in Scotland?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:

Quite prescient!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now for some really of the beaten track

San Isidro in Picos de Europa

Jahorina in Bosnia (suprisingly good)

Zabljak in Montenegro (good snow bad lifts and pistes)

Helmos in the pelleponnese
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimSearle, that's more like it.
latest report
Östersund, Sweden
snow report
paulio,

Still think ski smithers in the first list is about as off the beaten track as you can get....even if you live in BC!
ski holidays
JimSearle wrote:
Helmos in the pelleponnese

That's on my mental 'to do list' if only to tell people I'm going / been to greece to go skiing..
snow report
Kopaonik, Serbia
snow report
2000overdrive wrote:
Kopaonik, Serbia

Bzzzzt. That's quite well known.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
2000overdrive wrote:
Kopaonik, Serbia

Bzzzzt. That's quite well known.

Sorry, my bad... rolling eyes
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Wayne, disqualified. The rule of the game is "never knew there was one there!".

In the Dolomites, next to (and linked with!) Madonna hardly falls into that bracket, does it? Reeling off a list of minor satellite resorts not necessarily covered by the First Choice brochure isn't really what I had in mind.

I feel ashamed. and heartbroken that you describe my home as a "minor" something. I can't see an emoticon for someone weeping uncontrollably so you have to take my word for it.

Hows this then - Yambubacala - Not technically a "resort" but I have skied there. If you have never been towed up a slope by a yak, you have never lived. It's in Tibet on the south side of Shishapangma. The "slopes" start at 6,800m and top out at 7,900m - after that you need to pray
http://www.ukoutdoorpursuits.co.uk/tibet_MeetTT.htm
latest report
Wayne, re-qualified. Good one.
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
I feel ashamed. and heartbroken that you describe my home as a "minor" something. I can't see an emoticon for someone weeping uncontrollably so you have to take my word for it.

Puzzled that's the best complement I've ever heard ........ for Wigan. Wink
ski holidays
Thollon Les Memises - 50Km of runs. close to la clusaz
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Puzzled that's the best complement I've ever heard ........ for Wigan. Wink

we did used to have some miners here but not minors. Maggy got rid of all the miners though
ski holidays
My second ever holiday was to Rogla in Slovenia, Slovenia is getting more known now but most people seemed to think it was quiet obscure then. The local barman told us everyone was talking about the happy, smiling Scottish people ( there were 12 of us) so we asked him if they got many English speaking guests and he said a few.... they had had one group a few years before Smile
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Thollon Les Memises - 50Km of runs. close to la clusaz

close to La clusaz - only in a helecopter !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mount Lemmon, Arizona. Near Tucson, less that 100 miles from the Mexican border. Cactuses at the bottom of the mountain, pines at the top.
snow report
laundryman, wow.
snow conditions
paulio, some piccies.
ski holidays
How about Javalambre and Valdelinares in Spain?

Not in the Pyrenees but in the mountains of Teruel province, just up behind Valencia, no more than 50 miles as the crow flies from the Mediterranean.

Can't imagine that the season is very long and that there's any more than local interest, though.

http://www.nievedeteruel.com/
latest report
laundryman, that's ridiculous Smile
snow conditions
there is an area outside of Seefeld, Austria on the way to Leutasch where the town dumps it excess snow down a slope. I have been there in August and there is still snow. No lift, plenty of gravel and no one skiing it, but potential for summer skiing Smile
snow conditions
Or even Oukaimeden in Morocco? 45 miles south of Marrakech, 2600-3258m up in the high Atlas mountains.

Lift pass costs £7 apparently, not bad for the highest ski resort in Africa! Donkeys haul skiers between lifts!

Haggle in the souks in the morning, ski the afternoon, then watch the fire-eaters and jugglers in the Djema-el-Fna as the sun goes down in the evening.

It's reported that Dubai investors are going to upgrade lifts, install snowmaking and build hotels, get there while you can!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/3446834/Oukaimeden-In-Morocco-the-skis-the-limit.html
latest report
la rosiere NehNeh
snow conditions
There's always one. rolling eyes
latest report
Champorcher in Italy.
snow report
Donkey 'lift' at Oukaimeden, Morocco:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attackmorgan/95944410/sizes/o/
snow conditions
Divcibare, Serbia
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy