Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely unknown resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Not exactlu unknown but Fox Peak in NZ is probably the least known of the places I have visited.

Niseko which I went to a quite a few years back is now mainstream.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Above Stresa on Lake Maggiore you can ski in winter. Few drag lifts, but was only there in May
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How can anyone name a completely unkown resort? How can a completely unknown resort even exist?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio wrote:
Well not *completely* unknown, obviously.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

How can anyone name a completely unkown resort? How can a completely unknown resort even exist?

A very interesting question. Watch out. Some of us could argue for pages about that.... Schrodinger's cat..... wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, If you are going to look at ones like that, almost every village in the dolomites qualifies.

The main place we stayed in September, Molveno, has one gondola leading up to a ski area which has one chair lift and one blue piste. But it is only about 8Km from Andalo, which is a slightly better known ski resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
A very interesting question. Watch out. Some of us could argue for pages about that.... Schrodinger's cat..... wink

But in this case it doesn’t apply. The whole basis of Schrodinger's cat was that it was not possible to know if it was alive or dead.
But Schrodinger was wrong; he assumed that if something is unknown then all possible states exist at the same time. But, just because you don't know something doesn't mean that all the possibilities you can imagine must = true (to put in excel terms).
In this case (which I think you mean) if a resort is unknown we would not know about it and so could not put the name here. But by the Schrodinger's cat principle, a resort "could" be both known about and still be unknown to anyone.

So you could be wrong and right at the same time. Confused by putting a resort name here
My head hurts. A level physics was much too long ago.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

But by the Schrodinger's cat principle, a resort "could" be both known about and still be unknown to anyone.

Wayne, yes, that's just the kind of discussion I was thinking we could have. Laughing Meanwhile, if anyone knows about somewhere called something like La Bresse Hohneck, which is completely unknown to me, please tell me about it because my season ski pass gives me a free day there. Is it in the Jura?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But by the Schrodinger's cat principle, a resort "could" be both known about and still be unknown to anyone.

Wayne, yes, that's just the kind of discussion I was thinking we could have. Laughing Meanwhile, if anyone knows about somewhere called something like La Bresse Hohneck, which is completely unknown to me, please tell me about it because my season ski pass gives me a free day there. Is it in the Jura?

Yes, it is in the Vosges (whgich is part of the Jura).
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Vosges/La-Bresse-Hohneck

http://www.labresse.labellemontagne.com/english/index.php
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:

Not when I went to school.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
la Quillane in the Pyrenees, probably one of the smallest too.... Laughing www.laquillane.fr Enjoyed a day at the place a few years ago pretty much to ourselves, great fun and at the time change out of £15 for both passes and lunch. Shocked snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mad River Glen, Vermont
Not exactly unknown but if you are in the area and the snow is good, go find it and ski "Paradise" for me!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Not when I went to school.

You're right. For some reason I thought that the Vosges were the mountain range in the Jura department - but it is a separate (but linked) range, with its own department named after it.

And I have even been there Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mont Ventoux, Vaucluse, France
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went skiing in a small place south of Jelenia Gora in SW Poland many about a decade ago, so unknown I cant remember the name of the mountain! Embarassed
snow conditions
Isn't there a slope somewhere in the Lake District? Only opens for the club members - I seem to remember it was on Countryfile or similar a few years ago
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

A very interesting question. Watch out. Some of us could argue for pages about that.... Schrodinger's cat.....

My brother in law's cat is called Schrodi and yes was it named after Schrodinger. He's a physicist - my brother in law that is, not his cat wink Nice guy but you wouldn't to borrow a book from him for bed time reading.
ski holidays
Ravascletto
ski holidays
cookie wrote:
Isn't there a slope somewhere in the Lake District? Only opens for the club members - I seem to remember it was on Countryfile or similar a few years ago
Raise- Lake District Ski club- near Helvellyn

Also Yad Moss south of Alston- skiing just a few weeks ago reported on WinterHIghland.

I once skied in a place called Aviemore in Scotland- anybody heard of either?
latest report
Slavs'ke Ukraine. There is also Bukovel but its quite popular.
latest report
Wayne wrote:
But in this case it doesn’t apply. The whole basis of Schrodinger's cat was that it was not possible to know if it was alive or dead.
But Schrodinger was wrong; he assumed that if something is unknown then all possible states exist at the same time. But, just because you don't know something doesn't mean that all the possibilities you can imagine must = true (to put in excel terms).
In this case (which I think you mean) if a resort is unknown we would not know about it and so could not put the name here. But by the Schrodinger's cat principle, a resort "could" be both known about and still be unknown to anyone.

So you could be wrong and right at the same time. Confused by putting a resort name here
My head hurts. A level physics was much too long ago.

Schrodinger came up with the cat example simply as a thought experiment to indicate the bizarre nature of quantum indeterminacy, in which the cat is both alive and dead until the box is opened and the observation causes the indeterminate state to collapse. He didn't think of the cat being both alive and dead as an actual possibility Smile

http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Schools/what/atoms/quantum/cat.html
ski holidays
sloop wrote:
Schrodinger came up with the cat example simply as a thought experiment to indicate the bizarre nature of quantum indeterminacy, in which the cat is both alive and dead until the box is opened and the observation causes the indeterminate state to collapse. He didn't think of the cat being both alive and dead as an actual possibility Smile http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Schools/what/atoms/quantum/cat.html

As a ski forum is by it's very nature a thought process (well for a few anyway Very Happy ) my premise stands, as we (in this case) can not go and see the resorts and make a physically observation then we can think of them as known and unknown at the same time - but I may be wrong and correct neither of which are mutually exclusive of course Puzzled ) The cat "stuff" was a desperate attempt toexplain his second guess on the nature of being without observation, a little like chaos theory - as it's not possible to observer without disturbance. In this case “dolled up” as an experiment of the thought processes required. Did the isotope leak, did it not, was the cat dead or not. blah blah blah
snow conditions
I'm sure I read a Fall Line or similar a year or two ago claiming there was a golf course in SE England with uplift just in case of snow - complete with photos on the website that were clearly, definitely, pictures of the Alps. Anyone have any recollection of that?
ski holidays
paulio, No, but the first runs I ever skied (in Verbier) were part of a golf course in the summer.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Mont Ventoux, Vaucluse, France

There are two resorts, but not really unknown to snowheads as PG posted some stuff about MV and even PisteHors has something:-

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Southern-Alps/Mont-Serein

I agree with the Schroedingers cat argument though. The thread should be "obscure or little known" ski resorts.

The good thing about these resorts is there are no lift queues, even in the February school holidays.
snow conditions
This sounds a bit like a a philosophical conversation between Donald Rumsfeld and Bertie Bassett.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
This sounds a bit like a a philosophical conversation between Donald Rumsfeld and Bertie Bassett.

Laughing
snow report
davidof wrote:
The thread should be "obscure or little known" ski resorts.

paulio wrote:
Well not *completely* unknown, obviously.

Do you see?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:
sloop wrote:
Schrodinger came up with the cat example simply as a thought experiment to indicate the bizarre nature of quantum indeterminacy, in which the cat is both alive and dead until the box is opened and the observation causes the indeterminate state to collapse. He didn't think of the cat being both alive and dead as an actual possibility Smile http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Schools/what/atoms/quantum/cat.html

As a ski forum is by it's very nature a thought process (well for a few anyway Very Happy ) my premise stands, as we (in this case) can not go and see the resorts and make a physically observation then we can think of them as known and unknown at the same time - but I may be wrong and correct neither of which are mutually exclusive of course Puzzled ) The cat "stuff" was a desperate attempt toexplain his second guess on the nature of being without observation, a little like chaos theory - as it's not possible to observer without disturbance. In this case “dolled up” as an experiment of the thought processes required. Did the isotope leak, did it not, was the cat dead or not. blah blah blah

You may call it "desperate" but the fact is, if the cat cycle through both dead and alive state fast enough, you can't tell which one she's in until you stop the process.

It may seem bazarre but so does movies. Each frame is non-moving. Yet, when you go through them fast enough, it appears to be moving! What's more bazarre about that?

The title of this thread only ask for "unknown" resort, regardless if they're of any good. There're literally tens of thousands of such resorts. I read somehwere, there're thousands ski resorts in Japan alone. Though many of them are no more than a one tow slope. One can definitely find a VERY long list of such "unknown", though best left that way, resorts!
ski holidays
This has all gone terribly wrong, hasn't it.
latest report
paulio wrote:

Albert Einstein 1945 ??
snow conditions
Not quite as badly as that.
snow report
paulio wrote:

it has ...

Anyway, here's a desperate attempt to quash feline discussions and return vaguely to the thread's original topic Smile

In North America we call places of the ilk described in this thread 'ski hills'. Resort is an inflated terms used by the Brits to imply luxury and grand facilities so they boast to the non-skiing peasants upon returning home that they visited a 'resort'.

Loup Loup in Washington State is a good example of a ski hill. Find the word 'resort' on that web site (he says, fingers crossed!). You don't go to Loup Loup for a holiday. If you're a local, or lost, you simply go to ski.
latest report
OK - a relatively obscure Tyrolean ski resort: Kolsass-Weer.

Skied there twice in the mid 80's. Went by coach from Newcastle with the now defunct NAT Holidays - 36 hours door to door Shocked .
ski holidays
La Contamine. ...
I learned to snowboard there many years ago. If I remember rightly it was a sleepy little village in the foothill of Mt.Blanc.
It has dissapeared off the radar in terms of brouchure listings.. Puzzled

Anyone else been there or got a links to the village? I would love to go back one day..
snow report
Oh for goodness' sake.
ski holidays
Megamum's Resort X Toofy Grin
snow report
Harenda, Szymoskova, Nosal - all near Zakopane in Poland.

Worth a day (for all 3!!) for the novelty of skiing Poland (and trying to work out the points system for the lifts!!)if you are visiting Krakow in winter.
snow conditions
Not a feline word, I promise.
Apparently the world’s smallest resort is Mosset - 100m vertical, not sure how many lifts but I would think only one.
http://www.prades-tourisme.com/new/alentours/engels_mosset.html#

To quote
In winter you can ski in “the smallest ski resort in the world”, at the Col de Jau, just above the village. Seduced by the vitality of the village, the warm welcome of the Mossétans the richness of the culture and heritage and the presence of many artists

So if you want to be seduced and welcomed by artists as you whizz down the 100m then this is the place to go.
ski holidays
paulio, sorry. First I go off at half cock with a cat, now you have people who think Les Contamines is an unknown resort...

I could contribute Areches-Beaufort. It's not unknown, it's just that most British skiers have never heard of it. Or Flumet. A small place, with one of the nastiest drag lifts in the business.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy