Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it skiing, is it fun. Odd things you like about 'skiing'

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, I also love the thud/rumble of charges or gazex(sp?) cannons going off whilst i'm having breakfast. Makes the hairs stand up on my arms Shocked You just know you're in for a great day.
Nickski, Ski-ing grass,rocks and slush...mmmmm..you need to find a higher resort.

Megamum, I also like to be in the mountains. Everything seems to be cleaner, sharper and i feel revived the moment that i arrive there. Its also a complete change for me. I'll bet there are people who are detained at her majestys pleasure that spend more time outside during a normal working week than i do. Puzzled

NOTHING MAKES YOU FORGET ABOUT WORK FASTER THAN A SKIING HOLIDAY Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (unless you're an instructor wink )

A few people have mentioned "quiet". I remember skiing a couple of runs at Lake Louise through the trees (can't remember names) and it was fantastic. Not a soul around and you could here a pin drop Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know that there are a lot of issues to consider in doing so but I just love heading off on my own and finding some steep little gullies to play in. No sounds, no distractions, a touch of fear and every sense heightened.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extremely cold snow (-25F and below) with that baby powder texture that resists clumping and cannot be compacted, that acts like sandpaper to anyone who doesn't edge their skis.

Blizzards while I'm night skiing, where the flakes zoom past the helmet glinting from the lights, just like a warp speed sequence from Star Trek.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Ooooh... in Canada we once went ice climbing at night during a snowstorm. Headtorch beams piercing upwards at the falls though a swirling patchwork of heavy flakes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The sound a chair makes as it rattles over a pylon

The smell of skis being waxed

Cold in my nostrils

Smoke rising vertically from wood burners in the cold, still air

Vin Chaud on a terrace

Squeeky snow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The feeling of being wisked off your feet by a chairlift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I love swooping down stepped terrain, skimming (only inches above) the powder, feeling almost weightlessness. Even better if between trees.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oh, why is that a popular one? - I'm more comfortable on the chairs than I was this time last year, but I'm still not keen on the audible reinforcement of the fact that I'm still being suspended a long way up.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cold meats and Boiled eggs for breakfast

Sliding down a piste in shoes on your way back from the bar

"that drag lift" the morning after a snowfall when it's soooo quiet

the way Drambuie clashes with toothpaste when you take your first 'nip' of the day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf wrote:

the way Drambuie clashes with toothpaste when you take your first 'nip' of the day

This is why Jagermeister was invented, zero toothpaste clash.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Completing a steep/long draglift without falling off, even if one of your friends did in front and you have to control the laughter

The feeling of nearly losing it but pulling it back together and no-one noticing

A stupendous wipeout caught on camera/video
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, I really cannot imagine Jagermeister first thing....... Don't get me wrong, i don't mind a Jager chaser, but not in the hip flask dude Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Carving down a steep with a gale force wind blowing into your face... makes you feel like a ski god cause you have all the time in the world to make your moves with the wind taking the sting out of gravity Very Happy !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James2 wrote:
I love the feeling of falling. I don't know why. I guess it just intensifies the adrenaline that is already pumping through my veins.

Precisely why jumping off cliffs is so much fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arriving at the ropes just at the point a closed bowl is opened on a powder day and then scrambling through towards the front, watching the few in front peel off at various points from the traverse, picking an empty bit and gunning it, racing others beside and behind me to get first tracks first. Skied a fair few superb pow days but that timing has only happened to me once and it was truly uplifting snowHead
latest report
mark_s wrote:
Whiteouts are fun for me, especially on a piste which is slightly cut-up/bumpy. You have to ski by feel instead of relying on your eyes to pick out a line. Very fun when not taken to extremes (Glacier at the EoSB early in the week...Shocked).

Yes! I did the Arolles piste then, & was surprised at how very enjoyable it was (so I did it a few times more snowHead ). Don't think I'd fancy that tricky entrance to Glacier in a whiteout though...
mark_s wrote:
Also, when you're cruising around easy pistes in them when there's not a soul to be seen and it feels like you have the entire mountain to yourself. Magical Smile

Ahhh, Les Menuires on the last Friday of the EoSB... it was brilliant!
comprex wrote:
Blizzards while I'm night skiing, where the flakes zoom past the helmet glinting from the lights, just like a warp speed sequence from Star Trek.

Actually, I was just saying how good this was earlier today! Need to wrap up warm, though...

And...
Marmottes! Didn't see a single one this year, but saw colonies of them in Tignes last April... Awww, they are so cute! Very Happy
ski holidays
Jo225 wrote:
And...
Marmottes! Didn't see a single one this year, but saw colonies of them in Tignes last April... Awww, they are so cute! :D

oh, and the click of a well-lubed .22 rifle for the varmints.
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
"that drag lift" the morning after a snowfall when it's soooo quiet

I love lifting one foot and just tilting slightly to 'shussssss' though the dlifts (new term for drag lifts through deep drifts Laughing )

powderhound23, I WILL learn to land them properly this year.
ski holidays
comprex, Not done it in the snow yet but I love the noise of my pump action Twisted Evil
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Jo225 wrote:
And...
Marmottes! Didn't see a single one this year, but saw colonies of them in Tignes last April... Awww, they are so cute! Very Happy

oh, and the click of a well-lubed .22 rifle for the varmints.

Bah! Evil or Very Mad You have no soul... wink
snow report
I love the very first view from the top of the very first lift on your very first day somewhere new.... so much snow.... so little time!
ski holidays
DrE, welcome to snowHead

Sorry, didn't notice your post earlier... I can live without the gale-force wind, myself!
snow report
DrE, welcome to snowHead snowHead

So many things: I love slush at the end of a good day, going through the trees not knowing where you are, losing all sense of direction, movement and balance in a whiteout, the sound of gasex in the morning (that should be on a T-shirt) and watching your mates land head first in a couple of feet of powder.
latest report
Swirly wrote:
I love the sound of gasex in the morning (that should be on a T-shirt)

Oh yes! You print them, we'll buy them Toofy Grin
latest report
First click into bindings. The squeak of fresh snow. The mind-empyting qualities of skiing. Looking back at the tram lines cut fresh through a groomed piste.
snow conditions
Skiing enough off the piste so you can't see hear or sense any sign of human presence, sitting in a pile of snow and having a smoke. Bliss.
Feeling out of breath due to thinner air.
snow conditions
killian wrote:
Skiing enough off the piste so you can't see hear or sense any sign of human presence, sitting in a pile of snow and having a smoke. Bliss.

Bloody snowboarders. Wink
snow conditions
Quote:

or the smoke...... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the squeak of cold fresh snow on your shoes when you walk to get that early morning pain au chocolat

Peak chair opening at Whistler

Gers draglift firing up for the first time in spring wink

Driving up to the hill on the first trip of the season and looking at the snow banks at the side fo the road, trying to work out what the base is like.

First ever pickup when you go heli skiing

The sound (or lack of) in the backcountry

Cold beer at the end of a big day
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

Oh, why is that a popular one? - I'm more comfortable on the chairs than I was this time last year, but I'm still not keen on the audible reinforcement of the fact that I'm still being suspended a long way up.

This rattle makes me feel terrible, my heart skips a beat every time, i grip the chair harder and tense up really really try to think of how few accidents there are on chairs. The paradiski link is not comfortable for me or the bubble up to penken... just doesn't seem right all that weight on a couple of bits of wire Shocked

As for the best things...

catching the first lift of the morning to the top, plugging in i-pod. First song - All along the watchtower, Bod Dylan live version and really going for in on a empty piste.

Skiing through tight trees and avoiding the snow laced branches

Finding a really quiet spot and watching all the people having a wonderful time in the snow.

Long lunches in the sun with a bottle of wine Very Happy
latest report
Coming off the first lift, of the first day, of the first day skiing of the season and feeling the butterflies which mean "can I still do it..."
Skiing with the kids and my heart wants to burst at how well they ski and instantly remembering their first outings on skis.
Creaming (as in going fast!) down a freshly pisted run with no one else around.
Playing in the powder even if it does involve the occasional headplant.
Actually it might be easier to list what I don't like... going home!
latest report
Nickski wrote:
Odd things you like about 'skiing'

David Goldsmith.
ski holidays
the drive from Lyon to the Tarentaise..

It's odd but as long as it's not busy the tingle of anticipation as you work your way uphill and start seeing the snowcaped peaks...
ski holidays
Leering at talent you just don't see in any quantity at home. Ski suits make even the most mediocre local girls look like modern-day Helens.
ski holidays
bertie bassett,
Quote:

snowcaped

that works so much better than the usual, may I use it?
ski holidays
paulmck wrote:
Leering at talent you just don't see in any quantity at home. Ski suits make even the most mediocre local girls look like modern-day Helens.

HA HA, i dont know who helen is, but the girls in their ski geardo ALWAYS look great with their smiles and rosey red cheeks. I often think " that ski gear would look good on my bedroom floor"... well, it usually does... unfortunately the girl in my bed is not quite so hot !! Shocked
snow report
Libertine, She came from Troy, had a face that launched a thousand ships, apparently, so you can assume she was a bit of a looker.
On the other hand, in my world, I mainly see faces that lunched on a thousand chips.
snow report
Jagermeister Laughing

I'll get me coat !
snow report
Smokin Joe, there must be a reason why that stuff arrives in a test tube rack. Have you ever taken a bottle home? It's odd how it tastes amazing when half-cut in the Windsor Bar, but get it home and it becomes something beyond vile. Much like Ouzo does when it escapes from its Greek island.
latest report
The atm in the resort saying "please wait while we count your cash"
instead of " This transaction cannot be completed".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy