Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it skiing, is it fun. Odd things you like about 'skiing'

Poster: A snowHead
I was reading Parlor's thread about liability and looking at the Poubelle photo and trying to get an idea of scale because what looks like a really thin bit of snow might actually be quite wide. I'm sure I saw it skied in Blizzard of Ahhhhhhaaaahhhhh's and it was pretty wide, enough to ski rather than a X00m series of single near jump turns and side slipping. Anyway, if it's very thin then it's not what I think of skiing but more a technical exercise. I saw a photo in another thread of Chris Davenport and ANO in a very narrow couloir and thought, yes, big kahuna's but is it actually that much fun to ski. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dismiss the technical ability and kahunas, I see the achievement, I just don't see the fun.

That was the starting point to thinking about what do I find fun when 'skiing' that a lot of other people might not. Answer, you know those really crappy runs that are half dirt down to the valley when conditions are crappy. I love those, I get a real sense of achievement out of navigating those. Especially if there aren't too many rocks so I'm not going to knacker my skis up too badly. Trying to plot a route and stick to it, failing, stopping re-plotting, the occassional bit of deliberate (and sometimes not) grass skiing to link two bits of snow etc. etc. Laughing at your mates if they go down a dead end and have to side step back up or (the shame of it) take their skis off. Gritting my teeth and knowing the earache I'll be getting in 5 minutes when we reach the bar when it's me.

Anyone else got some odd skiing pleasures they want to share ?

For example, walking up the mtn to ski down in a ski resort where there are perfectly acceptable lifts always seemed odd to me. I can see why you'd do that to get to untouched snow but do it from the top of the lift please ! In fact I find that one a bit annoying if I'm honest. Very odd.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like slow chairlifts on a nice day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski, Different Poubelle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like standing out on the balcony with a drink and looking at the lights in the valley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, how about looking up the mountain at night, and watching the headlights of the bashers?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love the feeling of falling. I don't know why. I guess it just intensifies the adrenaline that is already pumping through my veins.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski, The smell of skis getting waxed Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They skied both in the Blizzard of Ahhs as confirmed by Arno in this thread.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35159&start=40

Nickski wrote:
Anyone else got some odd skiing pleasures they want to share ?

For example, walking up the mtn to ski down in a ski resort where there are perfectly acceptable lifts always seemed odd to me. I can see why you'd do that to get to untouched snow but do it from the top of the lift please ! In fact I find that one a bit annoying if I'm honest. Very odd.

I'll do that but normally only for training purposes when the offpiste snow is bad for touring or I can't hook up with someone to go on a tour with when conditions are OK. People often drive a car (or even worse a large overweight SUV) when they could ride a bike. Just because it's easier doen't mean it's better. Might be touring up to ca 4600m this season so will probably need to train on a 3000m+ Austrian glacier where there are lifts.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 18-11-08 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, an odd think i enjoy about skiing is the pleasure i take from the occasional cigarette i have . I smoked way too much for way too many years but quit 5 years ago. But like an alcoholic drinking sacremental wine it seems strangely ok to me to have the occasionaly fag after a really hard days skiing. Stupid I know but weirdly doesnt count to me as a "slip".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are 2 Poubelles in Chamonix; both got skied in Blizzard of Aaaaaaahhhhs

Parlor's Poubelle is off the back of Mont Fort in Verbier. It is pretty narrow. Skiing that sort of thing is certainly a different type of pleasure from cruising down a wide open bowl or whatever, but the requirement to control every turn (kind of Madeye-Smiley ) and looking back up thinking "i just skied that unpromising-looking patch of snow" is pretty rewarding. It also gives access to a number of wide open bowls so even if the couloir itself isn't much fun, it's worth it for the reward at the end
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I normally hate cheesey music but up in the mountains I actually quite like it - except for that Smokie/Chubby Brown nightmare!
I also love the sound of the ski binding snapping around your boot before the first run of the holiday snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The heavy rumble of a chairlift when you go over a pylon where the cable is slung under the guide wheels (often the pylon just as a flat bit ends and a steep bit starts, like driving slowly over a cattle grid).

Sitting next to a friend or family on a tightly packed chair and putting my arm around them to make more room and giving them a little hug.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nickski, it's just what you are used to I guess. I love blasting down blues, racing down reds... you get the idea. When the conditions are right though I want to be challenged.

Living in a ski resort it bizzare though with skiing around you all of the time. When we went skiing on Sunday I walked past a restaurant that must have just turned on it's chip pans, instantly I was transported to my childhood skiing holidays. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The blast of cold on leaving a mountain hut on a snowy day, and the blast of warm on entering one.

D
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, 100% not knocking it but skiing couloirs that are too tight to really ski (which wasn't the case for you ?). I can see the achievement, just not the fun.

Incidentally and with apologies for the horror inflicted on the french language; mon souer achete un appartement dans Siviez. Peut etre j'ai aves le chance fait du ski avec vous un apres-midi. Je pense vous etre tres bonne skier !

Can't do tenses either. Obviously !
snow report
Getting caught in a white-out on a nearly-deserted slope, turning the iPod right up and experiencing almost total sensory deprivation as I tiptoe my way down Smile

The first mouthful of merguez and fries with mayo on the first lunchtime.

Nursing a glass of red wine that should be WAY too cold to drink, but loving every sip.

Getting my boots off after the first full day and remembering the first time.

Looking out over the back of the topmost run in the resort and marvelling at the view.
snow report
Nickski, merci bien, PM moi n'importe quand.

I didn't think you were knocking it, just trying to explain a little bit... I'd be an back bottom if I said it doesn't give me a huge buzz! The first time you tend not to ski them, more jump turns all the way down, but by the second or third run you can get some great skiing in, before finally summing up the balls to straight line it! Wink
snow report
Sitting on top of the mountain after the last lift has closed, waiting 20 minutes for everyone to leave while watching the sun start to go down and then setting off in silent and unmitigated bliss.
snow report
http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/photo.php?pid=1571089&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=602936200&id=41881479362
latest report
Whiteouts are fun for me, especially on a piste which is slightly cut-up/bumpy. You have to ski by feel instead of relying on your eyes to pick out a line. Very fun when not taken to extremes (Glacier at the EoSB early in the week...Shocked). Also, when you're cruising around easy pistes in them when there's not a soul to be seen and it feels like you have the entire mountain to yourself. Magical Smile

Quote:
I saw a photo in another thread of Chris Davenport and ANO in a very narrow couloir

I have a double-page HH advert of Chris Davenport and someone else in a very narrow couloir stuck on my wall. Thank you Fall Line Very Happy
latest report
2000overdrive wrote:
Sitting on top of the mountain after the last lift has closed, waiting 20 minutes for everyone to leave while watching the sun start to go down and then setting off in silent and unmitigated bliss.

Quite like this one - also waiting at a bus stop in the half light at dawn while patrol set off hand charges all around the mountain.
ski holidays
Jump turns in 10" of fluff with breakable crust on top.

The way the bourbon reaches proper operating temperature in a steel flask in the outside thigh pocket.

Grabbing the skis and stretching on chairlifts.
ski holidays
comprex,
Quote:

The way the bourbon reaches proper operating temperature in a steel flask in the outside thigh pocket

Excellent!

For me, one of the lovely things was the wind in my hair in the days before I wore a helmet! Sad wink wink
snow conditions
Standing still on the edge of something that ends in rocks, trees or a really unlikely looking run out and wondering if you're actually going to stick it. Just skiing it wouldn't be as much fun if it didn't scare you a bit first.
ski holidays
releasing the bindings of Germans in the lift queues. Toofy Grin
snow report
Steeps.
Narrows.
Jumps.
Powpow.
Powder Ss.
Megatan.
Skibunnies with a peachy little a**.
snow conditions
Whitegold, sometimes you post such utter dross that I am willing to rip my own arm out of the socket just so I have something to throw at the screen. But sometimes you post pure, unadulterated genius.

Please keep it up.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

The only reason why I would use a button lift Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The cold breeze in my face whilst skiing down.
The taste of whatevers in the good old hip flask going back up.
Last lift up the hill then sit and wait till all is calm then pounce.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Powder Ss.

Dude, it's all about the 11s now.
snow conditions
parlor, Is that where you straight line it into a tree? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The log fire burning and watching the New Years Eve fireworks, champagne in hand with family and good friends for company Toofy Grin
Not long now Very Happy
latest report
what i love bout skiing? riding the lift and see random rookies and not falling in the snow....
snow report
The look on my kids faces when they get their awards at the end of the week from ski school

Knowing this will be the last year I can ski quicker than them - even that's not certain

The first beer and a feeling of relief when we arrive after a couple of days crammed in car
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

like this? Very Happy

snow conditions
WayneC wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

like this? Very Happy

Bloody hell fire.

Excuse me for a moment, please.
ski holidays
I never ever thought that anything would live up to a holiday on a rocky beach, but skiing has proved amazingly addictive, esp. since I made the breakthrough that I actually enjoy the process of skiing itself.

This might sound odd, but I just like the being there. It's an exciting environment, surrounded by people in and on fab looking technical gear zazzing down the slopes effortlessly. Participating in something I never ever thought I get the chance to do from both a financial and practical perspective. It's like living in a different world and a different life when I'm up there. I'm now just living life from one ski holiday to the next and feeling a bit weird for doing so, but at the moment I can't help it snowHead
ski holidays
There are some special sounds for me. The squeaky snow beneath my skis. The distance hum of chair lift pylons. Or even better that complete blissful silence you sometimes get on a deserted piste with just beautiful views for company...

Then there's the sights. Views to take your breath away. Middle aged Italians in 80s gear somehow looking cool in a retro way. Icicles hanging down from rooves...

It's a world so far away from my daily grind. That's what makes a holiday for me...
snow report
Ice, ice baby. And getting plastered in the evenings.
snow report
feeling/hearing fresh snow spraying up onto my jacket as i make a turn (it's even better when it hits my face but a bit rarer)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy