Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Temporary Instructor Jobs

Poster: A snowHead
david@mediacopy, I've been speaking to Tracey this morning. I think I will do a week, just trying to decide which resort to go for. Have you done Interski weeks?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon, Be very careful in Wengen - remember they work on an upper body rotation which is completelyt contrary to the rest of the world AFAIK. Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar,I've done a few since passing. Most of my weeks have been in Courmayeur but I taught in Pila last time and I've got a few weeks scheduled again this year in Pila.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, which do you prefer, Courmayeur or Pila? I would like to avoid a long "commute" to the slopes first thing in the morning if that's possible. Also, which is better from a teaching perspective (range of slopes, etc).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, I'd like to think of myself as a revolutionary trailblazer in Wengen - I was equally as intrigued by some of the teaching methods I saw from the chairlifts in March...

david@mediacopy, hope you don't mind me jumping in with rob@rar ( Shocked )... what's Courmayeur like for teaching with Interski, its where I'm signed up for.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, read my post on the previous page. Good as long as the snow's good!

easiski, i learnt to ski in wengen and didn't do me any harm! but then i haven't had a lesson there for a long long time...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, skisimon, the good thing is... when you got qualifications they don't make you go through the peculiar intro courses I got Wink

Not sure how well they'll respect CSIA1, but at least skisimon knows how its done proper...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ronald, Laughing Are you teaching anywhere this season?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wengen will employ people with no quals during peak times won't they?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skisimon, unfortunately not Sad Financial obligations will hunt me down if I stay away for more then a few weeks over the season this year...

beanie1, I was (I got Anwarter now) one of those... We get an Internal training of a week, with has some peculiar methodology....
Since skisimon holds CSIA L1, which is a lot more then I had, if they still need people i suspect he has a chance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, skisimon, Last season the hotel for the Instructors staying in Aosta (Pila) was walking distance to the Gondola so that was cool. However I understand that the accommodation may be in a different hotel(s) this year. In Courmayeur there is a mini bus to run you up the valley (the hotel is\was towards PSD and the Tennis Bar). I've not worked in La Thuile but I imagine you must stay close to the lifts.

The terrain in Pila arguably offers easier progressions for beginners than Courmayeur. I don't know about La Thuile but it looked OK for teaching when I skied there a few years ago.

You will be safer in Pila because there is no Tennis Bar to weave it's evil spell Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, No...but there is the Distillery!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, Happy Days Blush
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, So did I and a proper little DHO trainee brat I was, and it was my first teaching job when I was a grade 3, but the system has changed and I have to say I was horrified to see people being taught to swing their shoulders right round in the turn so they ended up with their torso pointing right up the hill. Shocked I saw it in more advanced lessons on the mountain too .. I asked the boss of the ski school about it and he claims that's how the WC racers ski - NOT! This is going back to the days of counter rotation/rotation as a good old fashioned stem christie that I learnt in the late 50s and early 60s Shocked Shocked Emile Alais eat your heart out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would agree with beanie1 that Pila has very good progression for beginner groups and it is almost impossible to mislay any students as all runs funnel back to the meeting point. Good luck rob@rar if you do decide to go.
snow conditions
Ronald wrote:
skisimon, unfortunately not Sad Financial obligations will hunt me down if I stay away for more then a few weeks over the season this year...

beanie1, I was (I got Anwarter now) one of those... We get an Internal training of a week, with has some peculiar methodology....
Since skisimon holds CSIA L1, which is a lot more then I had, if they still need people i suspect he has a chance.

I know you're talking about wengen where no formal qualifications are required, but hasn't skisimon got CSIA L1 and CSIA L2 for him to considering Interski weeks?
ski holidays
Courmayeur is an ok place to teach beginners provided the place isn't rammed to capacity. The main nursery area is known as the BabyBowl and is accessed via slow moving chairlift.
If busy, you're gonna have to fight for yer territory to teach. Progression is via a T-bar in the same area as the BabyBowl, but this run is a little steep at the top and can also get kinda mental. Once you're passed this stage you leave the BabyBowl never to return. There are a couple of good blues and road runs for progression and mileage and some easy reds on the back of the mountain. However, some of the other reds can be quite challenging in places so check them out first before you take your class down them.

Never yet had a problem teaching along-side the local Ski School. Have always found Interski at Courmayeur to be well run and organised. Always stayed in OK hotels, but food leaves a lot to be desired!

I personally like teaching at Courmayeur, however, if you get the choice, and you think you're gonna be teaching beginners, then Pila has bigger/better nursey areas and heaps more blues for them to cut their teeth on. Very Happy
snow conditions
GreyCat, perhaps this is something I should have asked before I confirmed Courmayeur... Ah well, there you go. I doubt it will be overly busy whilst I'm there though, it's the second week of January.

VolklAttivaS5, Puzzled they said what I had was acceptable, so I'm not going to complain... wink (Not sure whether my CSCF may have been taken into account too).
latest report
Second week of Jan will be as good as gold, you'll have a great time. New Year, Half Term and middle Easter week are the times when it's real bizy. Bar Roma in town immediately after teaching......good beer, free scoff! The Tennis Bar in PSD acts as the Interski club house in the evenings. Owner is mad as a box of frogs!

Early snow looks real good. I'm out there in a few weeks and will let you know how i get on. Very Happy
ski holidays
GreyCat, excellent! Have you done the AVMS test?
ski holidays
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, they said what I had was acceptable, so I'm not going to complain... (Not sure whether my CSCF may have been taken into account too).

skisimon, yes perhaps they have taken your CSCF into consideration as well. Good on you then. I have always been under the impression (seems I could have well imagined it then) that you have to be BASI L2 or equivalent to work for Interski because it's Italy-if not then I might have a look into it myself sometime with my BASI L1! Very Happy It doesn't say anything on their website about minimum qualifications as far as I can see......it just asks which ones you've got. Cool. Think I probably got the L2 thing from the BASI website where it says you have to be L2 to work in Italy. Ah well it's not something I could manage this season anyway.

david@mediacopy has passed the AVMS test-it might be worth having a word with him about it. Little Angel
snow report
This thread is ever so useful. Very Happy
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I'm fairly sure you do have to have BASI L2 to work for Interski. I did a course earlier this year with one of their instructor managers and I think he said taht was the case.

GreyCat, thanks for the comments on choice of resort.
latest report
I'm 99% certain you need to be BASI L2 or equivalent from another country to work for Interski.
latest report
Regarding qualifications accepted by Interski, the best thing to do is phone them, ask for Tracey Uniacke who is responsible for Instructor bookings. She a lovely lady who won't bite yer head off. Interski number is 01623 456333. Hope this helps and good luck. Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar, What did you get / decide ?
ski holidays
rob@rar, beanie1, hmmm that's what I thought too as I said above.......
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
This thread is ever so useful. Very Happy
I had, rather selfishly, hoped that it would be when I started. I suspect there are a few of us that aren't necessarily able to up sticks to do a whole season, so some details of options for a few weeks at a time should be helpful.

Regarding BASI L2/L1 - the only thing I can think of (being not entirely immersed in the ways of BASI) is that the L1 is marketed as for non-mountainous environments by BASI. (Whereas CSIA L1 is for mountainous environments). Definitely contact Tracey though, as GreyCat says, she is very nice and very helpful.

I remain, however... Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm pretty certain you need CSIA L2 to work for Interski? Certainly everything i've been told by them is you need thet BASI L2 or equivalent.
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:
rob@rar, What did you get / decide ?

Still trying to work out dates, but like the sound of Pila. Will sort things out early next week. Wondering if I should pay a bit to fly out or take the overnight coach - not done that for many years, and not sure I want to do it now!
ski holidays
I thought about if for a while, and decided that with a large CC bill at the moment I'd plump for the coach. Sad Also, since the last time I went by coach I've been to the west coast of US/Canada with regularity, so the duration isn't quite such a problem any more.
ski holidays
Just phoned up to ask what the minimum was in case I was free for a week or maybe more later on next season and was told BASI L2 or the national equivalent elsewhere.

Makes sense that does since I thought that all along and the BASI website says L2 for Italy plus t'others have all said L2 as well.......
latest report
skisimon, off topic a bit but how come you've got the time off to go and do this anyway? I thought you were in the Navy? Or are you at naval college? Puzzled
snow report
Does anyone know the going rate for BASI L1's working in a snowdome, it probably varies I know but an idea would be good?

What about in a ski resort (as in a Swiss resort for example where L1 and not L2 will be considered)?

I take it then a CSIA L1 can teach in Canada (obviously) but a BASI L1 would not be accepted because it's an artificial environments qualification?
snow report
rob@rar, It's not usually too bad especially if you can get a double seat. Drop me a PM when you know ?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I take it then a CSIA L1 can teach in Canada (obviously) but a BASI L1 would not be accepted because it's an artificial environments qualification?
Interesting question... In Canada (unlike the USA) you have to be qualified to instruct - it would be interesting to hear what resorts views are of BASI L1.

Those in the forces get holidays too! (Six weeks apparantly... fat chance). However, I'm still a reservist having left the regulars to study last year (not a great idea in hindsight, I hated uni so am now waiting to get back in full-time). Still, I've got two weeks back in uniform from Sunday which should pay for some skiing this season.

I'm not sure about SnowDome rates of pay, but Dubai seems to be decent: fully furnished accommodation, transport, tax-free salary etc
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
rob@rar, It's not usually too bad especially if you can get a double seat. Drop me a PM when you know ?

Will do.
snow conditions
skisimon, not sure if they take the BASI L1 in Canada or not-I've never looked into it. I don't think it is accepted because it's for snowdomes and dry slopes so.....

Well yes, forces careers websites do say 6 weeks holiday a year for you guys, but I didn't think you could take it all in one go which is therefore why I thought you can't be in the Navy full time or you must be at university or something and even then it wouldn't be university holiday time for ages!

So have you binned the uni course to go back in full time asap?
latest report
Yes, binned the course. When serving full-time we're encouraged to take it in two week blocks. So a bit of Interski stuff would still be an option when I get back full time again (asap as you say, though sadly not likely for a year Sad ).
latest report
skisimon, can you ski with the Navy ski club/team? I was sat next to a girl about my age on the Tignes bus last year and she was out with the RAF (I think) on some kind of ski thing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy