Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Temporary Instructor Jobs

Poster: A snowHead
With this season's season out of the window (change in student status meant I couldn't continue with my visa Sad ), I'm having to do some stuff closer to home. I'll just have to plan some time off next year with a non-student visa.

Also, can't really afford more than one trip this year, so am looking to get my slope time paid for.

So... a bit of high season repping for a school tour operator should provide a couple of weeks. Then a week instructing for Interski (hopefully will pass the AVMS test and be able to pick up a few more in March).

To the crux of the question - does anyone know of any other operators like Interski that look for temporary instructors for a couple of weeks at a time?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon, get in touch with some of the Swiss schools as I'm not sure if anywhere else would use instructors without an ISIA qualification.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/jobs/index.htm
http://www.paralleldreams.co.uk/SR.htm
http://www.skiplan.co.uk/
http://skiing-europe.com/
http://www.skiastons.co.uk/coursesform.htm

skisimon, if you find any others please let me know, thinking about doing the same next season... Interski seems to be the most popular and as Rob says some of the Swiss schools will take you on for a few weeks kigh season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, Week commencing 15th Feb 09 should be a free week with Interski (half term) does'nt count toward your 7 allowable days, Ski 2 in Champelouc, near Cervinia are looking for part time instructors for Easter 09, Ski Astons and Skiing Europe normally looking for part timers to teach there school groups. A search on the internet will get there contact details
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all.

First week now confirmed. A week instructing with Interski in Courmeyeur during the second week of January. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, nice one Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can you let us know what the deal is with Interski? How many hours, what the pay is, whether you need to do the Aosta Valley test for one week, etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon wrote:
Thank you all.

First week now confirmed. A week instructing with Interski in Courmeyeur during the second week of January. snowHead

Have you been in touch with Wayne?

He was loooking recently for people in Folgarida for peak weeks.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1063177&highlight=#1063177
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, with Interski you get a £200 wage for the week (I think it's £225 for peak weeks). Also: coach transport from the UK (or subsidised DIY travel); half-board accommodation and snack lunches; and a lift pass. Etc. It also sounds like there is training during the week too from some of their top instructors. The lessons are 6x4 hours, and you're also expected to supervise for 1 hour each lunchtime. There's also the obligitory presentation evening as well.

Any qualified instructor can work one week (7 days) in the Aosta Valley region without taking the AVMS test. To work up to 28 days you then need to take the AVMS test. This involves: some language testing (French or Italian), enough to deal with an accident on the mountain; a GS time trial; and a mountain safety/first aid oral test (in English). As I understand it, ISTD instructors from outside of Italy are only permitted to teach for more than 28 days (with regional authorisation).

The video I've linked to below is particularly interesting if you're thinking of doing a bit of work with them.

Some details.

A good video. (Quicktime)

EDIT: Just realised it read that only foreign ISTD's could instruct for more than 28 days, I'm fairly sure locals can too... Embarassed

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 17-11-08 18:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter went with her school to Courmeyeur with her school and was most impressed with the instructors (she has been to ski schools since she could walk!) Details of their scheme here http://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/recruitment.asp
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, I did notice his thread, however I'm not ISIA yet and I'm not BASI. I might make contact if nothing else materialises this week (but I definitely can't get to either of their interviews anyway as I'm on exercises in Devon).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon, thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, I do hope I won't be too much of a let down for any Interski customers... Laughing It all depends what type of group I get I think - from doing both instructor and coaching course I'd say I'm probably more suited to a coaching role (not the best method with never-evers...)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone done Interski during the busy period in February? Is it busy?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Has anyone done Interski during the BUSY period in February? Is it BUSY?

I think your own answer to that is yes, and so is mine. Try between 600 - 800 kids and teachers, plus the classics people!
latest report
I used to know a couple of guys who did the Interski thing, but they both worked for other ops during 1/2 term. Not sure what that says about 1/2 term!
snow report
Elizabeth B, I've noticed that a lot of TOs require people who aren't working the whole season to work Feb H/T before they will offer them anything else (such as Easter/NY). Interski, however, don't have such a requirement, so it's possible to work for them entirely outside of the holidays.
snow conditions
The only week I could probably do is the week before the main UK half-term. Might give Interski a call tomorrow to see if they're still looking for people that week.
ski holidays
rob@rar, have a look at this page. Each of the three resorts are on the drop down menu, when you click through it tells you the requirements. All three resorts still appear to have requirements throughout February (La Thuile, however, seems to be almost full for instructors though).
latest report
rob@rar, I have done the 2 weeks half term for Interski (2004), my first job away from plastic. They are very well organised and have the ski school developed with good support for instructors.
ski holidays
One thing I'm interested about... I've never been to any of the Interski resorts before. Is there an opportunity to explore before the first lesson, or will it literally be a case of blindly guessing which run will have the appropriate terrain?
latest report
skisimon, no time, but as I said the ski school is very organised and will have a selection of runs that you can use suitable to your groups ability.
I have worked for other school holiday groups and had not skied or had any guidelines of resorts I was working in. Had to ask the hotel staff, lifties etc where was the best places to go

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 17-11-08 20:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dunk, that'll do I suppose; I figured it would probably be something in between the extremes. Which resort were you working in?
snow report
Courmayer stayed down the valley in a Hotel called the Val Diesel (something like that) had a mini bus to lift to try and catch the 8.00am cable up each morning, time for a coffee, blast and then kids for 5 hours. After lessons down to a bar in town for beers and buffet.
ski holidays
skimottaret, don't forget PGL and www.skiclass.co.uk
snow conditions
Okanagan, PGL stopped employing any new instructors a few years ago, and last year stopped taking any of their own.
ski holidays
skisimon, What about Scotland? Not being funny, but now you see why some of us continue to suggest BASI rather than CSIA. I'm sure you'll find something for the Feb week and quite possibly for New year too. I dont' know if it's still true, but I heard that although Interski theoretically take Level 2 or equivalent, in reality there are now so many old grade 2s and 1s not working on the snow that they don't need to. My info may be out of date though.Good luck. You could contact the European Ski School to see if anything could be done here as a stagiare.
latest report
skisimon, I expect a good chance Wengen will take you for peak season. You know the area there, so its up to you wether you like it. Can PM you wages if you're interested.

When you don't know an area, you can easily ask the school and coworkers which runs to go with your group... No shame in that. I even ask coworkers: Hows Mannlichen, hows village run, considering taking my group there..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, i think that's just a rumour, the vast majority i remember meeting were grade 3s / L2 or equivalent.

skisimon, why can't you do a full season?
ski holidays
If I do a week with Interski I have a choice of La Thuile, Pila or Courmayeur. Any of these better than the others? For those who have done Interski which resort would you opt for?
snow report
rob@rar, why go abroad just do 200 hours of SnoCubs!
ski holidays
easiski, I haven't had a problem so far. I've managed to pick up a week, and have been told that I can definitely pick up a further three provided that I pass the AVMS. Thanks for the tip about the European Ski School though.

beanie1, I couldn't get my visa (due to a change in status), so my plan for the season changed. I've now picked up other plans and requirements that I'm fulfilling for the RNR instead (as well as my OU), so I'm not really in a position any more to consider a full season.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, why go abroad just do 200 hours of SnoCubs!
Happily I've beaten the masochistic streak out of me!
snow conditions
Ronald, ooh, please do. Wouldn't mind going back for a couple of weeks. (Could you PM a contact too?) snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar, just remembered there was a guy on our CT course that was a supervisor for Interski and he may be able to steer you in the right direction James something, doesn that ring a bell, i will check my notes to see if i have his details
snow conditions
skimottaret, I did speak to him at the end of the week (he was my 'stretching buddy' in one of the session), then promptly lost his details! If you could find his email or phone that would be great.
snow conditions
skisimon, PM sent!
snow conditions
rob@rar, have had a look but dont appear to have his details...
latest report
rob@rar, depends what you're looking for and when you're doing it. Chances are you'll probably be teaching beginners, so I would go for Pila as it has a great progression and plenty of space for lots of beginner groups. I taught in Courmayeur right at the end of the season when many pistes were shutting and we had to take day 1 beginners up on a chairlift with their skis on their lap, not great. After they shut the second last blue run the step up from the nursery slope was a red. I tried it once, took me all morning!!

I don’t know La Thuile. I spent a couple of months in Pila though and love it, for the few hours free skiing you’ll get it has a couple of blacks, some great bumps and variables, and it’s also the sunniest place in the world!!
ski holidays
rob@rar, Speak to Tracey in the office at Interski, ski looks after all the Instructor bookings and will sort you out. Are you going out with them this winter ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy