Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - A Little Nervous

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm going to Tignes on January 20th for 8 days. I'm not very experienced. 1 week in Austria as a 16 year old (19 years ago), and a week last year in Les Gets.
I'm more than happy on blue's but apprehensive on reds.
Is Tignes going to have plenty of area for me to ski at my level? I'm going with two very good skiers who I know wont take me on runs that will be way beyond my limit, but they will push me some what. But the last thing I want to do is hold them back. So I need to know I'll have plenty to do while they are off on the Reds and Blacks.

Any advice is appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Makski, first which bit of Tignes are you staying in?
We took a keen beginner male skier to Tignes le Lac last year, similar age to you (possibly a bit older) and got him all the way over to le Fornet (in Val d'Isere) with sympathetic use of a couple of "downloading" lifts on the way back (Solaise and Aeroski) and back on his last day. There is loads of skiing ofr your level and you can get more or less everywhere using only blues. If you do get to Val d'Isere beware of two notorious mis-grades - the bottom section of the green Verte (on the way into la Daille) and the blue Santons (on the way down to VdI).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Makski and welcome to Snowheads

Tignes has plenty of areas for everyone with lots of blue runs etc. I would however recommend getting some 'refresher lessons' - perhaps one 3 hour session on the first day or so whilst your mates blast around and you can then meet them at a restaturant up or down the mountain as you need. That should get your ski-legs back and refresh your confidence and then stretch you onto the reds..

I've just had some refesher lessons which were fab at rebuilding my confidence from James of The Development Centre - www.tdcski.com, and this is what I wrote in the 'bend ze knees' section of this site: "James is good fun and a fantastic instructor - having done a couple of weeks skiing about 4 years ago but had my condfidence destroyed by a maverick ESF lady and since then I'd only gone boarding - I needed a 're-fresh, re-build and confidence build'. It's fair to say that James delivered in spades. We had a great session focusing on reminding me of the correct posture, balance and turning skills and as I improved over the course of the session we then moved onto other more challenging exercises, and picked the pace up. Most importantly he completely re-built my confidence and had me enjoying the skiing rather than feeling challenged by it. If I pop back to tignes in December (as planned) then I'll definitely book with James again."
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Makski, would agree with all the above, especially bertie bassett's suggestion of a refresher lesson.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very wide motorways in Tignes, for the most part. You'll be fine
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Makski, another vote for a refresher lesson at the start of your holiday. In addition to bertie bassett's recommendation you could also try Stewart Woodward who is a member of the forum and teachers with ESF in Tignes Le Lac, or Rorie Scott (you can get details how how to book either these people if you contact Stewart by sending him a private message). A two hour lesson with any of those guys at the start of your holiday will make a world of difference to your confidence.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Makski, we took the kids and a mixed group of abilities to Tignes last year. They enjoyed it so much we're going back again this year.

You'll be fine, but have a couple of private lessons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Makski, I was in a similar position to you when I went to Tignes last april for a 3 day short break.I had only started skiing last season and had only had 7 days skiing previously, plus a few hours in the snowdome. I am a bit of an old codger for a begginer(46)so you, being 10 years younger will be ok, i'm sure . I found it fine. I had a 2 hour private lesson on the first day with a chap called Rorie Scott who I can highly recommend (contactable on here though another snowhead Stewart Woodward who is also an instructor in Tignes who comes highly recommended).Loads of blue terrain and some easier reds that I progressed onto as the trip wore on.You can ski a whole circuit of the tignes bowl on blues alone. Going up the Aeroski In Le lac down piste H to Val claret up the funicular to the Grand motte back gown again to Val claret and then up via a a series of lifts on the Aguille Piercee side and down on blues eventually ending up at Le Lac at the bottom of the Palafour lift via a lovley blue called Combe. I had such a great time that I'm off again, on the ski and board camp in December. I'm sure you will have a great time.
Edited to say Rob@rar got in before me on the Instructor recommendations while I was writing this post Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 6-11-08 21:29; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Makski, I would second the suggestions above and can personally vouch for those mentioned by rob@rar, (especially Rorie)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your advice. I think a lesson would be a wise idea. It was part of the plan.
Overly excited now though, just can't wait!!!!

Feel free to keep adding advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Makski wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. I think a lesson would be a wise idea. It was part of the plan.
Overly excited now though, just can't wait!!!!

Feel free to keep adding advice.

Take a pair of boardies - there's a good swimming pool there overlooking the lake with both decent lengths and a 'fun area with slides', and if you want to give your legs a rest for the arvo it works well, or just as a change to have a late start to the 'apres'. If you're really keen then there's a decent gym avaialble too. Swimming pool entrance is free if you have a valid ski-pass..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem with just a refesher lesson is that once it is over you have a choice of either obliging your friends to ski with you or being stuck by yourself. If you were to book group lessons (ESF classe 1 would be ideal, certainly the mornings and maybe even afternoons as well) you would avoid this problem but perhaps more importantly you would also find yourself tackling runs that you would not dare to do if by yourself. If your budget could stretch to it a private lesson in the middle of the week (during the longish gap between morning and afternoon group lessons) would provide more detailed assessment of what you are doing wrong and help avoid adopting bad habits at an early stage. Group lessons can be quite fun socially as well and because the skiing day finishes relatively early you still have many hours left to be with your friends.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick L wrote:
Hi Makski, first which bit of Tignes are you staying in?
We took a keen beginner male skier to Tignes le Lac last year, similar age to you (possibly a bit older) and got him all the way over to le Fornet (in Val d'Isere) with sympathetic use of a couple of "downloading" lifts on the way back (Solaise and Aeroski) and back on his last day. There is loads of skiing ofr your level and you can get more or less everywhere using only blues. If you do get to Val d'Isere beware of two notorious mis-grades - the bottom section of the green Verte (on the way into la Daille) and the blue Santons (on the way down to VdI).

Because nearly everyone follows the OK (red) down to La Daille, and not crossing it, as the Verte does (except when the OK is being used for the World Cup racing)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Makski, You can find posts by Stewart here:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43727

Try not to get too excited by the ongoing reports! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am the same age as you, and went to Tignes last November/December for my second ever week's skiing. Loads of country will suit you. Cannot recommend enough having as many lessons as you can afford - they'll push you down runs where you wouldn't even look at them yourself, and if your mates suggested them you'd think they were trying to kill you. In fact, have two more than you can afford - your holiday will cost you the best part of £1k, so what's an extra £100 in order to get much more out of it? You'll be going down the reds from the top of the Grande Motte down the double M into Val Claret by Tuesday morning if you do... (and if you don't have these lessons, you'll catch the cable car up to the top, ski to the top of the run, and walk back and catch it back down!)
ski holidays
Tignes was a resort we went to when I was still VERY nervous skier. We went at the end of the season, which was well slushy at the bottom. BUT, it was FAB. Lots of lovely cruisy blues as I remember, especially on the glacier. Good to go all the way to the top of Grand Motte. You will enjoy it. Have fun! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks a lot people. I really hope you enjoy your winter!
I know I will.
ski holidays
Tignes was my second ever ski holiday. We had two private lessons and then thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I don't think we managed a red at all and we skiied all day every day.
I agree about that one down to Val. We ended up in the middle of some trees and didn't have a clue where to go. rolling eyes

We adored Grattalu. A gentle, wide quiet piste next to the lift, so you can see it and not be scared of what you can't see. I think we spent one afternoon just going up and down.

(I think that's me in the middle doing a wonderful A frame Embarassed )
ski holidays
Makski, you will have a great time - it is a superb ski area. Last Dec we had to pick our way around in a mixed ability group on blues - no problem at all.

Try and get over to the Val Big Hair side as well. Good food and fun things like the Leissieres Lift ( goes up and over a ridge and then down ). Also I got the impression that there are more " down " chairlifts than elsewhere there , so you can go over almost the whole area. And our friend who started on the blues finished the week ski-ing down the reds from the tp of the glacier. Bet you will too !

John
ski holidays
Thanks again guys. I have done a couple of reds in Les Gets last year and they were great, although I nearly came a cropper on the Point de Nyon (just way to thin for my ability), I loved going down the Tulip/Le Ranffoilly on the first afternoon. Just needed a bit of reassurance I think.

Thanks again.

Have a great winter!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy