Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tranceivers/ shovels/ proves - an interesting quote

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mark handford,
Quote:

Some weeks ago I offered Snowheads the chance for a very cheap winter skills course in Scotland, this could have been a week or a long weekend. The general outcome was that if there was no skiing what was the point!

Quote:

I will be putting a post up regarding a long weekend course if thats more viable to people, probable dates will be 21-22 Feb and 7-8 March.

I didn't see the first post ,all the skills courses I noted were based in Wales and would have been difficult to get to but many thanks for making the effort.

If you go ahead with the course would it be possible to drop me a PM? I would love to attend but will probably need a fair bit of notice.

From a personal point of view the Feb date would not be possible as I am away skiing then.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some rather random thoughts,

Swirly said that climbers try to cross snow slopes early when the surface is still frozen, but of course skiers specifically wait until the surface is no longer frozen to ski them (though they also, generally try to ski them before they break through any thick crust). Climbers look for a slope with less snow on to climb while skiers specifically look for the oposite.

I seem to remember that death rates amoung climbers is much higher than skiers, but I imagine few of those are from avalanches - anyone got any figures?

I did do a snowcraft course and a snow pit was dug, but I never got the chance to compare how much force is needed for the shear test in different snow circumstances, and what the critical minimum strength might be: so I still don't really have enough knowledge to form a decision based on one. Despite skiing with guides for many years I have not seen one dug since.

ABS packs - what with airlines being (understandably) unwilling to carry them: should they be available for hire in resorts?
I must say, though, I have been put off by the weight. My backpack is already quite heavy with water bottle, hipflask, shovel, probe, skins, spare gloves and fleece, map etc etc. And now perhaps sometimes with 36m of rope and all the bits and pieces of metal gear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy