Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return of the Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
carled wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
snow-guess are forecasting a dumpette on the 17th for La Plagne Very Happy

Look... you do realise that snowguess et al just base their snowfall guesses on the wigglies, basically?

He's back... punter-posts will be dealt with severely.... Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a Metcheck devotee and having listened to some seemingly seasoned snow sniffing pro's on here recently, I have got quite excited about this forecast.

Little dump followed by daddy dump?

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=22
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow_bum, Metguess is the correct term I believe.

Do you know about wigglies?

Have you seen the light, sweet child?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why am I reading this thread I don't go skiing till 31st January Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I am inclined to suggest that if we were to disbelieve the forecasts, that are let's face it, all based on a pinch of evidence based reality and a whole fist full of 'probably' and 'potential' outcomes than this thread is not only defunct but rather a waste of time.

However, if we may take it as an indicator that will allow me to get needlessly excited about a snowfall that will inevitably make absolutely no difference to my life but will stranegly give me great joy (because I am rather sad), then that is better than nothing.

In short, I know it's dangly bits but at least it keeps me off the streets wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have it on good "mountain man" authority that the big dump is coming - it will start snowing next Saturday (22 November) and will snow heavily for a week.

I will be back here in a week to either gloat or edit this post Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Well that looks stupidly good for next weekend, but i have seen it so many times where it looks great and then as it gets closer and closer to the actual date it gets worse and worse NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garfield
Quote:

Why am I reading this thread I don't go skiing till 31st January

I don't go 'till March, there's just something addictive about this thread Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just resigned myself to another addiction, hopefully not as destructive as some of the others Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The reason these charts (wigglies) are so promising is the large consensus between the runs. Sometimes you have a huge split between the runs as things, meteorologically speaking are on a knife adge and a small change in pressure "here" makes a big change a day down the line "there". In this case, the conditions are so locked on that even relatively large changes aren't having much effect until you get 7-10 days out, which is quite unusual. There're now only a couple of outlying runs that disagree with the "mob" about the cold plunge happening around the 22nd. The grouping of the threads just means that it's more likely that the outcome will happen, so without doubt there will be an arctic blast next week.

However, there aren't huge amounts of precipitation around. Fortunately it looks like being more of a case of "little and often" as opposed to huge dump/thaw. It does look like the Western end of the alps will fare a little better than the eastern side at present (precipitation-wise) but shifts in fronts of only 40/50 miles will have enormous effects on that and that's nothing in weather terms.

To sum up, certainly cold... but a chance of it only being light precipitation in many areas. Will become clearer in a few days...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, especially in many of the lower areas isn't it great to have a long, sustained cold period where the ground gets a chance to cool? Also, even if there isn't much precipitation it's a chance to get snow guns firing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually just had a look at the charts in a bit more detail... if the pesky high pressure system out in the Atlantic would shove off a bit further west over the next few days, we'd get some good skiing done across most of the uk I think! There's a right old plume of frigid air being dragged down from the Arctic... brrr.

If it does stay where it all is programmed at present then there could actually be some large amounts of snow from this as a slightly unusual almost direct Northerly is going to be bringing some freezing air in over the alps and undercutting the warmer mediterranean air... could result in huge rainfall for Nice or large amounts of fluffy white stuff further inland depending on how argumentative the warm air is feeling.

A note of caution is that the set-up looks like it'll only work right if things don't shift around to much. It's a very wide swathe of cold air, but cold air alone isn't going to give us snow... will freeze the ground nicely though, I suppose. A decent shift of the high pressure system towards the east leaves much of the alps a lot drier from this set up, so don't put the snowploughs on standby just yet... wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markus, They won't fire up the guns until the resorts open I reckon - sadly... Those things cost $$$ to run
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Markus, They won't fire up the guns until the resorts open I reckon - sadly... Those things cost $$$ to run

I've seen the cannons running full tilt in Tignes and Les Arcs several weeks before the season starts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, They had them on the other night in La Plagne, I am sure just testing but nice to see Madeye-Smiley . Agree though rob@rar, if they know the weather is likely to stay cold they get them on very early.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1070597#1070597
snow report
red 27, uh? They'll run the cannons once it's close enough to the season and it's cold enough that what they make is likely to have some lasting effect.
ski holidays
setup and ready to go in haus, austria...
http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/shared/_webcam.php?pic=/webcam/web5/test.jpg&data=5
ski holidays
Looks like 10 - 60cm of snow right across the Alps from Fri 21 to Mon 24 Nov.

Supercold temps from Sat onward.

Snowline could be as low as 500m in most places.

This is looking like the first proper dump of the Winter for many resorts in France, Austria and Switzerland.
snow report
 brian
brian
The general theme of the model output, ie. High pressure in the N Atlantic, staying to the west of the UK and therefore most of central Europe's weather being dragged in from the cold, cold, cold, frozen North is muchos encouraging. Very Happy

Me like. snowHead
latest report
That's perfect timing Smile Oh joy...
latest report
Whitegold,
Im likeing the sound of that, just in time for Tignes on Wed Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
a little trip the weekend after next is looking on the cards at the risk of getting killed by Mrs Arno
snow conditions
Arno, if I join you and before that we get mrs horizon and Mrs Arno to talk to each other, do you think they will come up with a more merciful way of killing us, or will they decide to do it quickly?
latest report
It is looking promising but flying in the face of popular opinion I'd like no snow on the 26th and especially the 27th. Before and after let it dump but please can I drive on nice clear roads snowHead
snow report
Arno wrote:
a little trip the weekend after next is looking on the cards at the risk of getting killed by Mrs Arno

Surely "its an emergency situation with our Geneva/Zurich office that needs sorting? Obviously I'd refuse but can't push it in as I heard redundancies were in the offing"

You do keep an "emergency" set of kit at the office for such eventualities? wink
snow report
horizon, i find it highly unlikely that having our missuses confer will lead to a more pleasant fate!

fatbob, i have a pair of skis right here Embarassed i can see "an emergency in [name of ski gateway airport] office" becoming a code-word for ski weekends Laughing
snow conditions
I see other thread on the Piste promising big snow, so I look at the models for the Tarentaise and I notice one thing I have not seen before, the scale of precipitation is in mm, ergo I must ask in all seriousness what is that all about???? Confused Confused
latest report
Kaiser, that's mm of rain. A rough approximation is 1mm of rain = 1cm of snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So I'm looking at around 5cm then for Tignesish area in a couple of daysish?
snow conditions
Kaiser, I wouldn't get too hung up on the precise amounts, that's notoriously difficult to forecast in mountain areas. My take is a light snowfall in the next 24 hours then a moderate to heavy snowfall over the weekend and into next week. Enjoy...
ski holidays
Swirly, I second that. I can see snow chains happening in the vicinity of Bourg d'Oisans. Otherwise it looks stellar.
latest report
Seriously cold over the weekend too. Mid mountain temps down to -16degC in the day and freezing line down to sea level, but cold is not enough as it also needs humidity to cause snow fall. The warm front that will hit will be very humid, having sucked up plenty of moisture from the North Sea, then this moisture being forced into the cold airflow above it when it hits the mountains.

It could be an epic dump.
snow report
Although snow was forecast today, it was largely forecast to peter out come midday. The accumulations seem more than what was expected. This is excellent news.

Let's hope the dump this weekend arrives and brings us all an early Xmas present.
ski holidays
Meteoschweiz is seeming fairly confident about snow down to Zurich on Fri night/Sat, Laax web site says the mountains are going to get dumped on this weekend - the latter may have a sh!te web site but their forecasts are usually pretty good
snow report
gorilla, 9 days is a long time in weather forecasting but from the wigglies we look ok for some on the 22nd and a bigger load on the 24th/25 then it goes flat. Fingers crossed!
snow report
The current charts are a thing of beauty for this coming weekend.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
the Swiss Snow and Avalanche Service wrote:

Outlook
On Friday, 21.11, very wintery conditions are expected to strike, with formidable amounts of snowfall. The avalanche danger will escalate swiftly, particularly in northern regions.

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
nnnnnuuuuurrrrggggghhhh........
cough, scratch, spark
(cue the music - Air on a G string)

wink
snow report
Quote:

formidable

Formidable!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
So still looking like plenty of the white stuff arriving from the north over the weekend and now looking more likely that general coldness will extend at least for the week ahead. Rather than bore you with the technical details, here's some GFS wigglies (and ECM agrees). Beyond this time next week is still very uncertain but there's some good potential and I'm moderately encouraged that the good times will continue rolling ...

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy