Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return of the Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Is temp top set of wiggles and likelyhood of precipitation the bottom set?

snow-guess and metguess are chopping and changing the amounts and when they're due. Anyone got a better idea of when the dump's gonna kick off, how much is due and when it will end? Because they seem to be purely guessing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I understand it, we are all guessing to a degree, and most using the same wigglies, correct me if I am wrong!
snow report
 brian
brian
Kaiser, wash your mouth out ! Shocked Laughing

snow_bum, yes.

snow-forecast and metcheck feed the raw GFS data in, so they will change whenever they run an update. Remember GFS is a global medium range forecasting tool so hardly ideally suited to the task, but then again it's output is free.

If you want a better (freely available) short term model, then (ime) the best bet is the NMM. All the data available here:

http://www.meteoblue.ch

So, according to it, for the lower Valais (no self interest here you understand wink ), we're looking at the snow arriving by dawn tomorrow, producing easily 50cm+ (could be quite a lot +) and not dying out until well into Sunday ... and then probably being followed by more on Sunday night/Monday.

Woo and indeed, hoo !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Apologies, for guess read "gazing directly into the near future" wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian,
Quote:

Woo and indeed, hoo !

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snow_bum wrote:
Is temp top set of wiggles and likelyhood of precipitation the bottom set?

snow-guess and metguess are chopping and changing the amounts and when they're due. Anyone got a better idea of when the dump's gonna kick off, how much is due and when it will end? Because they seem to be purely guessing.

No? Really? Those famous site chopping and changing? What the dickens could be causing all that then? wink

Check my long-ish post near the bottom of page 2 if you wish to know more...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[Irrelevant aside] Trouble is, I want to marry both brian and carled, and I'm informed that that's against the law. [/Irrelevant aside]
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.................not in Dubai
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ah, but it doesn't snow in Dubai. That's it, the wedding's off, you'll just have to make do with carled.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, nah, it's both or neither. Boo hoo. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Woo and indeed, hoo

When brian is "moderately encouraged" I start wetting myself. What am I supposed to do when he goes woo and indeed hoo?

Hurtle. You're well out of it. It would only have lasted until the first disappointingly dry and/or warm January. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And the award for most filthily suggestive sentence of the day goes to...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

When brian is "moderately encouraged" I start wetting myself. What am I supposed to do when he goes woo and indeed hoo?

pam w, Laughing maybe a lie down in a darkened room, or intravenous sedation?

I have been known to squeal Embarassed (and we are talking about predicted snowfall here btw)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead i'm excited and i'm nowhere near it, or likely to be at this rate

@Pam....deep breaths and dont stray far from the loo Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And the weather coming in from the north means north-facing slopes (i.e. ski slopes) will get the full effect.
ski holidays
looking good - http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=50663&pid=1367362&st=0&#entry1367362

Some fervent webcam viewing over the weekend I think......
ski holidays
red 27, but not all ski slopes are north facing? The one we live on in winter is south facing, but being on the northern edge of the Alps the whole area should do well. As it often does. I'm never too sure what the French mean by the "Préalpes" but I think we're in it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, not all, but most are though surely kiddo? Both sides of the mountain will get snow of course, but the Meteo-Swizz report I read seemed to say that north facing slopes would get drifting up to 2m as it's gonna be windy too.

Crans Montana is the only place I can think of where it's mostly S facing - doubtless there are 100's of others though
snow report
pam w, presumably the same as German "Voralpen" which is foothills. I would have thought you were in the full alps Wink
snow report
It's snowing here at 600m!!! Very Happy snowHead Very Happy

Starting to settle too
snow report
Kaiser,

Its snowing here at 0m and its lying on the grass and medical physics' roof
latest report
Excellent, anyone off to Aberdeen for their skiing holiday?!! wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Kaiser, it's only an hour up the Don to ...

Very Happy

Have you rescued any mountains to put in the Fenlands yet ? NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian wrote:
KaiserHave you rescued any mountains to put in the Fenlands yet ? NehNeh

Not yet, but I am thinking of claiming the Espace Killy for March.... just need to unfurl that flag.... plant it in Glacier at top of Grand Motte..... Roberts your mother's brother and voila! Cool snowHead
snow conditions
latest report
 brian
brian
Automatic station measuring 25 cm of new snow above Resort Y so far today and another 15-20 or so predicted for tomorrow. I'll take that Very Happy

The outlook is snowy over the weekend and staying pretty cold through most of next week.

This time next week, the models are showing High Pressure building over Greenland, which is never a bad thing if you like cold weather. wink

... but there's nothing I'd hang my hat on prediction wise at the moment.
snow report
 brian
brian
me, on Wednesday 12th wrote:

Signs are fairly promising for a really cold arctic blast around the 20th/21st, watch this space.

Strike 2. Cool
ski holidays
brian, you're good... Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian,

From Wed 12th,

Quote:

brian, You were right on the snow so Quote:

High pressure looks to be taking control over the weekend and most of next week, so sunny days and frosty nights.

means I am relying on you for fine weather in Tignes next Tues/Weds/Thurs - I've promised MrsS it will nice!

Well Tuesday was snowing, and truly atrocious visibilty, but Wednesday and Thursday were brilliant - definitely a B+ on that one wink
snow report
Looks like the snow has stayed over to the east - Switzerland & Austria getting a battering but very little for France? Meteo Chamonix has severely downgraded it's forecast accumulations - typical pre-season chain-yanking.... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
30+ cm over here at 2000m
snow report
 brian
brian
red 27, watching back the radar returns from last night (put 00:00) in the first box:

http://www.landi.ch/deu/0804_niederschlagsradar.asp

Looks like Chamonix should've caught quite a bit Puzzled

... and Edit to add: Sunday evening and night looks like a decent fall with Northern France in the sweet spot ...

Last edited by brian on Sat 22-11-08 12:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
RobinS, I should've posted an update, by the time I thought about it, I reckoned you'd be on your way. That's the trouble with the weather, it's as changeable as .... well, the weather I suppose. rolling eyes
latest report
brian wrote:
Sunday evening and night looks like a decent fall with Northern France in the sweet spot ...

You're a good man!
ski holidays
Quote:

typical pre-season chain-yanking....

No, typical way that precipitation forecasting is fraught with difficulty...
latest report
brian, just been looking at the webcams in Les Houches at 1,900m....nothing much to report, no significant change from 24hrs ago....but cold enough to get those new snow cannons going....the latest Cham weather forecast has killed the euphoria!
latest report
Quote:

a B+ on that one

brian, you're really going to have to learn how to make it snow when the sun's still shining, you know. This is just not good enough.
snow conditions
The Les Saisies webcams show a marked improvement over the last 24 hours, so I'm happy. Now if we can just stop it getting warm again this side of Christmas...
ski holidays
brian wrote:
red 27, Looks like Chamonix should've caught quite a bit Puzzled

Yes I see what you mean... should have but didn't looking at the webcams today. Fraught as Pam says.

Hey ho, let's hope for the best sunday night, and a decent cold spell can't be a bad thing. Smile

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 22-11-08 21:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
brian,
Quote:

RobinS, I should've posted an update, by the time I thought about it, I reckoned you'd be on your way. That's the trouble with the weather, it's as changeable as .... well, the weather I suppose.

I was pretty pleased with it overall Little Angel was a relief to see the sun on Wednesday morning though! Tuesday was the worst visibilty I have ever known, light snowfall, dense cloud, and goggles were icing over on the outside every 30 seconds - presumably the humidity was very high, with temperature low enough for moisture freeze on contact with anything. ski poles, hair, goggles, the lot!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy