Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return of the Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
philipb, Looking like its going to be cooling trend for the easter weekend with some possible major precipitation around, a bit far out to call it but easter sunday could be rather special. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd agree that it looks warm this week, freezing levels around 2400m, so the chance of some rain low down in places like La Tania. However as norris says it looks (although too far away yet) like it may cool down from the 11th and also looks like some precipation is around.

There's lot of uncertainty from the 12th onwards.....still not clear wether it will warm up or cool down!

philipb, have you seen the excellent latania website inc it's webcam page and weather page http://www.latania.co.uk/weather/weather.htm

cheers,

greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, fingers crossed for anything but rain!

Yes, I have seen the La Tania website, have been enjoying the weekly snow reports for several weeks now.

We arrive saturday for 8 nights. 10 year old son is hassling me to do The Escapade as we didn't manage to complete it last year.

Cheers,

Phil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
right then where are the experts for a view of Easter weather, Brian and carled have been very quiet!

Wigglies for La Tania still very uncertain from 10th April onwards, so it could rain, it could snow, needs some expert views please Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was just wondering the same myself! Looks like some precipitation v likely but not sure if it will be snow at resort level.
Looking at the webcams the snow in resort has been disappearing at an alarming rate over the last few days. Will I need to take wellies?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, even a few days out is looking very uncertain. The GFS is downgrading any precipation each run...a few others are still hanging in there - but it does look quite warm generally
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the snow in resort has been disappearing at an alarming rate over the last few days

It certainly is, but in Les Saisies the snow on piste is still generally very good - just a few south facing and lower areas looking very brown and closed for lack of snow cover. The problem is not snow coverage, but snow consistency - even runs with plenty of snow on tend to become very slushy in the afternoons - it's best to plan on packing up by 3 pm at the latest. By then the 10 year old snowboarders have the pistes to themselves. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A couple of systems are heading over but how strong they will stay and for long...is a guess.

In the absense of a real obvious change over the Atlantic, then all looks much of a muchness to me...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philipb, the snow in la tania village on the wooden areas, etc etc disappears very quickly this time of the year, but the blue piste down to the gondola usually stays open until the resort shuts, and if you time it right after it's groomed, has softened and no-one else is on it is superb!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, thanks, we skied down to la Tania several times last year during the same week and remember it being a nice run. Off in the morning, can't wait. Experience tells me once you are there all this worrying about weather seems silly! But it gives us something to thing about.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Alps are ridiculously warm today.

I just arrived in Munich.

It looks like temps could hit 25c today or tomorrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am liking the look of the 06Z GFS run for La Tania, cooling down late on the 14th into the 15th and chance of some decent precipitation....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The Alps are ridiculously warm today.

Right. We had our aircon on coming down the A 40 from Geneva towards Chamonix, and were sitting by Lake Annecy in really hot summer conditions at lunch time. Some people were swimming in the Lake and loads were loafing around sunbathing without many clothes on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,

Should I be ordering Water Skis Shocked Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fresh snow in Tignes this morning Very Happy
snow report
The thermometer (in the shade) on our chalet balcony was showing 20C on Thursday afternoon in Courchevel 1650.
latest report
Arrived in La Tania, certainly not 20 degrees, not that warm at all!
snow report
So what's the experts' opinion on the likely summer skiing conditions in the Alps this year? Is the current warm spell going to continue & spell doom for it? Will there be any new snow? Will it turn cooler again?
ski holidays
What's the experts' opinion on likely conditions at half term in Passo Tonale ?
latest report
Certainly warm in Vallandry last week - shorts and t-shirt were order of the day most afternoons post skiing. Did get very cold in evening.
snow conditions
Quote:

Did get very cold in evening.

In the same way that you feel chilly after a long day out in the sunshine in Barbados, when your suntan is burning a little bit, and the trade winds suddenly make you think that a pair of silk trousers and a pashmina would be just the job.
ski holidays
+22 in La Tania this evening, some lovely spring snow though this morning. Wigglies still pointing to some fresh and a temp drop Thursday.....
snow report
kitenski wrote:
+22 in La Tania this evening, some lovely spring snow though this morning.

Brrr A bit chilly for me TBH, I prefer it to get up to the low 80s for really perfect skiing conditions. Spring Skiing - ain't it great Laughing
ski holidays
What do the Wigglies say for New Year in Kaprun? Smile
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
What do the Wigglies say for New Year in Kaprun? Smile

they say....................come back in 7 months................
ski holidays
Actually decided to go to Kaprun on 18 July, I suspect smow may be a bit lacking, but will keep fingers crossed for a morning of snow biking with the kids. Will be strnage being in same village for summer and New Year.
latest report
I miss this thread, why are we not forecasting anymore, the hours of anticipation followed by the glorious arrival of luscious flakes across Europe, or conversely the bitter disappointment and recriminations.

It was fun, could it work again?
ski holidays
Good bump.

Does anyone know what link to use for "the GFS wigglies" for the Austrian Tyrol?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

why are we not forecasting anymore
, because it's autumn, maybe? wink

What would be good would be to bump and update the tread(s) on how to use the wigglies. However the fact that the links in the earlier thread were always updating meant that they were useless in practice (I only realised this after a very puzzled ten minutes or so, when I was diligently trying to piece together the words and pictures and failing miserably. Embarassed ).

If weather watchers have good links to educational resources that would be the best way for us anxious ones to spend the next 3 or 4 weeks.
ski holidays
pam w, As far as I can tell, there remains only 3 weeks until the start of season, so whilst it may be autumn, there have been the first significant snowfalls all over Europe already, perhaps making the base, but also it looks like there will be another three in the Tarentaise before December (using my very limited forecasting skills)

I know the imbeds update with time and so fall out of sync with the comments, but read them regularly and they make sense Very Happy

I for one need something to add to the fun of watching the webcams (and the mountains of course like you wink )

Need to hear about more SNOW!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
I'm thinking of going to Les Gets March 2nd 2028 - pls can someone tell me if it will be snowing. thanks Twisted Evil
ski holidays
pam w, You could join TWO ( The Weather Outlook) and use the resources on there?

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/
latest report
davejsy wrote:
I'm thinking of going to Les Gets March 2nd 2028 - pls can someone tell me if it will be snowing. thanks Twisted Evil

Very unlikely, try visiting a ski resort if you want snow Twisted Evil
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

If weather watchers have good links to educational resources that would be the best way for us anxious ones to spend the next 3 or 4 weeks.

That was the aim of this thread, I think it's still valid...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
snow conditions
hear hear.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar,

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_1147_ens.png

or thereabouts, google for the lat/long of where you're going and substitute the rounded numbers for the 11 and 47 in the above.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

Does anyone know what link to use for "the GFS wigglies" for the Austrian Tyrol?

This is probably pretty close: http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_1247_ens.png

I think it's a bit west and a bit south of Mayrhofen. There was another site that used to let you specify fractions of degrees (err, minutes?) as well, but I've temporarily misplaced it.

And I totally agree with Kaiser, it's 3 weeks till I'm off and I've been watching the wigglies (on my own...) for a while now Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

davejsy wrote:
I'm thinking of going to Les Gets March 2nd 2028 - pls can someone tell me if it will be snowing. thanks

Very unlikely, try visiting a ski resort if you want snow

Harsh - although by 2028 due to global warming LG could possibly be submerged.
snow conditions
Yes, sorry, was a bit harsh, but was fighting fire with fire! wink
snow conditions
brian, ChrisWo, thanks, 47º 11º is just a couple of minutes north of Solden. GFS looks pretty disturbed through until the end of the month and no warm spells are currently in the forecast Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy