Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
language pleas allanm!!! It truly was a nice relaxed cruisey day.... but a bit on the cold side. Enjoyed my cointreau coffee to thaw out when I got back. Very impressed at your mogul skiing minus poles Toofy Grin
Cars now covered with the white fluffy stuff in Bourg.... Seems to be getting even heavier Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jayne durham, Truly sorry about the language Jane, might be something to do with [my lack] of shares in the Mont Blanc - where I am now (encore). I'll get my coat (as they say). On a technical note, I can confirm that skiing moguls IS easier with 'les batons', I was putting on a pretty 'brave face'.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross wrote:
allanm, I'm not a skiclub member but read on their site that you can kind of groupie with them by turning up on the day if they're not overbooked. Is that what you did or did you do something more formal ?

This is the fella who is in resort the week that I am there ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reps/repprogramme.aspx?intRepProgrammeID=703&dtmStart=28+Mar+2009&dtmFinish=18+Apr+2009&intResortID=44696&strOrganisationName=Les+Arcs

I'll see you there as I'm planning on doing some sking with Chris..

I think if you join in resort (thru the rep) then you get 18 months membership or something similar...

Still snowing as of now...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, Sorry, got it wrong, aparently you can ski with Ski club once, as a non member, if there is space on the day.

Today???? Magic. Lads in the Mont Blanc reckon 40+ cm on the runs off the top of the Varet - some traversing to do though. Great conditions, great day, I doubled as the abominal snowman and entertainments commitee... Powder sking needs improving - must NOT lean back - repeat one thousand times... I must not lean b... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

AR was closed all day, as was the top half of TA this morning, concensus here and NOW is they've ran out of dynamite and they will open the AR tomorrow no matter what. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Who's around in Les Arcs next week? Arriving on Sun and it'd be good to meet up with any other SHs...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds fantastic. Sorry jonm, not out until 5th... please let it stay cold!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AR opened briefly about 11AM, luckily enough, we were on the Varet at the time Very Happy Very Happy . Robert Blanc and the couloire's to the side were absolutely fantastic got some tracks down! AR gondola was smacking into the sides at the top, no surprise it didn't stay open long. Very Happy The wind at the top was incredible, it hurt - but well worth it.
On piste, all day, was awful - we avoided, sorry.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thursday - not much of a snow report as was playing 'chase the squirrel' all around the mountain - a thinly veiled attempt to raise some funds for the 'back-up trust' courtesy of will and the crew in the flying squirrel and much support from the seasonaire community with generous donations from other Les Arcs visitors. So apologies if you're quiet apres in the blache muree was interrupted by hordes of drunken seasonaires but it was all in a good course - some several £'000s being raised..

here's a few photies if you didn't see us in person..

Friday - no idea about the snow, nipped home for a few days for a (different sport) course this weekend, back next week.

Enojy if you're out there...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, the'chase the squirrel' - my friends and I, over a burger in the Squirrel.... decided we should open a competitive bar The Monkey Bar, and we would run a similar event... you chase a person dressed as Monkey round the resort.. we decided we call this event 'Spank the Monkey'... *ahem* It was quite amusing at the time I guess, and ran on for several evenings of dialogue while we planned what our bar would be like.... Oh, well gotta dream, i s'pose!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad to report - what a difference a couple of days makes!! Having had a fabulous powder day on Thursday.... Today is HORRIBLE.
Loads of lifts shut early on because of high winds at the top. Visibility very poor owing to thick mist/fog. Then around 11.30 it started raining at around 1800. Threw in the towel about an hour ago after I managed to entirely ski off the side of a run in a white out..... Luckily it was only in to a dip full of powder so it was just hard work side stepping to get out - but could have been nasty!
Back home in Bourg warming up and drying off now. Crying or Very sad
Hopefully the freezing level is getting lower tomorrow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jayne durham, Worst day out here is still better than best day in the office..Mmmm... so they say. Abandoned lesson half way through, was impossible, I'm not normally too bothered with low visability, but couldn't see 5 feet, never mind 5 yards. Spent the afternoon in Maximas watching the diehards.

It's snowing now though.. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hiya folks i had a very wet and damp day today. Cloud and mist all day with light snow falling. I miss the sun from last week already.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any update on the conditions after the rain?
I am out there from 4th April for a week, but it looks like quite a bit of rain is forecast! Just wondering about commuting to Val Thorens for skiing on a daily basis from Arc 1800.

Comments?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Likewise out there w/c 4 April so would appreciate any views
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, Boris, I came back on the 22nd March - after a lovely hot week. They've had more snow since. Our friend Fred, who was born there & lived in the mountains all of his 50years assured me while I was there that even if there was no more snow, there would be plenty to see out the season. Conditions may not be great at resort level ( i can get a bulletin from my brother who is there this week if you want) but I would guess you'll be fine above 2000m wink I'm always amazed at how little impact rain & sun have on the snow.
As for the idea of a daily commute to VT.........well, do it once & see how it goes - I guess 30mins to Moutiers, & another 20 - 30 up the hill to VT. It would have to be pretty dire in Les Arcs to warrant that, would be my thought on it Confused

Have a great week, anyway - it often snows the 2nd week of April (according to Fred Little Angel )
snow report
Today the conditions were extremely good. Spent most of the day off piste.with Snowcrazy and co ... Great powder off the Grand Col; the ridge above Arcabulle; and the flying K. There was mist low down but beautiful blue skies above it. There was snow yesterday which seems to have repaired most of the damage done by Saturday's rain so conditions out here are still very good. I cant imagine why anyone would want or need to travel to Val T at the moment Confused
snow report
genepi, jayne durham, Thanks for the reports - really appreciate it.

genepi, If you can get a bulletin from your brother that would be great
latest report
Arrived tonight at Arc 2000. Here till Saturday. Very misty and windy up here tonight. Will give resort condition report tomorrow. Last chance for [b]CEM[\b]s magic to work on [b]mrsfatcontroller[\b]s feet or it is off snowboarding we go.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 5-04-09 22:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Very misty and windy up here tonight

The higher the better eh Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Very misty and windy up here tonight

The higher the better eh Toofy Grin Laughing

Yep if you want snow sure......8am here and sun is shining. Decisions, decisions on what to wear. Think I will have to go light layers as I can see it being warm later. Update later on weather not clothes
snow report
thefatcontroller, Have fun out there... timing wouldn't work out for me, so I'm afraid those glacier blacks will have to wait for next year... Crying or Very sad (but faintly tinged with relief.... wink ) Shall look forward to hearing how they were... Toofy Grin
latest report
4 days and counting... Looks as if we will miss the controllers. Crying or Very sad

Hear from a fellow owner in 1950 today that SMA are offering group discounts on passes for 15 or more. Well, that's what he was interested in - maybe get something for 10+ too if ask nicely. So, if you are travelling multi famille worth thinking about sending them an email.
snow conditions
Guess what. We are in La Plagne! Up top of Roche having coffee. On blackberry so limited communication. The wifes boots are great. Yippee. Snow great seen far worse conditions in January. Of to do Inversions and then see if wife is up to doing blacks of glacier. Schuss where are you!
latest report
thefatcontroller, Awwwww don't...... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Make sure you take pics... I want to see pics... Toofy Grin
snow report
Schuss.....Not today for the glacier but on a promise for Thursday? You could still get a flight. Back down at Le Sauget restaurant which is top of first lift out of Montchavin. Did Inversens and the Les sources and down Pierre Blanche. Snow a bit soft in parts but still lots of it. Having lunch and then of back to Les Arcs for some more fun in the snow.
snow report
thefatcontroller, Black Thursday...... again? wink Stop, you're killing me..... sooooo tempted, but neither bank balance, nor boss will permit it.

Quote:

Did Inversens and the Les sources

Two of my favourites... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Just joined snowheads having had a FANTASTIC week in Les Arcs - the Flying K was awesome , had great fun skiing with ski Club Rep and followers - squashed a few marmottes!
ski holidays
flying k, welcome to snowHeads. Glad you had a good time in Les Arcs Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now in 1600 having a pint. Done some runs in 1800 then went down to Comborciere and up and did Malgovert. First time on it but not as bad as I was expecting. Wasn't sure if it was worth it then found an empty Mont Blanc run. Very nice. Now going to go back to 2000 via Comborciere. Snow getting very soft and at 1600 it is 15c. Went on an empty Vanoise today in high winds. It started swinging. Yeuch.
ski holidays
Glorious weather, hot sun today here in Les Arcs, I am sunburnt Sad Fabulous skiing though, loving it, even though it's getting a bit sloppy now.

Don't suppose anyone is staying in Arc 1800 and has a charger for a Nokia 6300? I forgot mine and feel curiously vulnerable on the mountain without my phone.
ski holidays
Back in. Shattered. Sorry no charger. Did Comborciere, lovley and soft. Might see if snowcrazy is around tomorrow. Not to busy here as well. Nice
snow conditions
Yup, Monday was a great day, Ski Club rep knows Les Arcs almost as well as me Very Happy Very Happy Know quite a few people didn't bother going out because of vis at low level, but up the top was blue skies and petty good snow, OK, Snowcrazy does know where to go, perhaps a little better than moi Confused Absolutely brilliant day - Thanks.

Tuesday, dipped out of doing the Bellacote, will do it before I come home though. Very warm, much of the off piste lower was cruddy, but up the top fine. There is probably plenty still to find, but skied on my own today, so tried not to go silly... on saying that the gullies off the side of Lac, and traverses down off the left of Tuffes were pretty good. Steep bit down to Bour de l'our was good too, and you could still get a line, although just because the wind had covered previous tracks. Clair Blanc has a much easier entrance now, to me always the hardest part, was good fun, as was the Font Blanc which is one of the few runs in Les Arcs I haven't done til today. Deux Tette was Mmm.. hard work, Combourcier was 'wet'.

Did a bit more practise in the Avalanche Park, with tranceiver lunch time, definately getting better, found 3/5 on first 'probe', got all 5 in 15 mins (they were fairly close though) . Fairly pleased with the effort as there were people milling arround the edge of the park, with kit, and I had to 'tell' mine [transceiver] to ignore those.

All in all, holding out very well, but the locals are forcasting rain lower down tomorrow Crying or Very sad
snow report
Hi Allan can you send me an e mail as have now done videos of last week, tried to reply to yours but got spun back -
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

The wifes boots are great. Yippee

CEM's magic has worked again then, plus I guess she has been wearing then around the house as one should with all new boots Toofy Grin
snow conditions
flying k, My ISP's gone bust Sad , going to take me a few days to sort, would love to see them, I'll PM you when back up.
Great day, Allan
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

The wifes boots are great. Yippee

CEM's magic has worked again then, plus I guess she has been wearing then around the house as one should with all new boots Toofy Grin

Yeah do me a favour and point the post out to him thanks. Only so much you can do on an ffing blackberry. Meeting snowcrazy in the morning. Looking forward to his tour of Les Arcs.
latest report
Last thursday snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead /5

Very Happy

Blimey. Sorry if I poached anyones line Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Started snowing in 2000
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, good to here, we aim to please Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Met snowcrazy. Great guy, certainly knows resort well. Had great two days skiing with him. Thanks.

Also great to meet couple of other snowheads. Looking forward to more skiing with snowcrazy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy