Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="under a new name"]bam555, yep, crap weather, only another 30cms in the garden overnight. La la la

really-really? Very Happy then thanks a bundle for the good news.

Arriving to Chamonix on 30th for 2 weeks and just don't want to run over a rocksa and roots. Nobody wants Smile
BTW what is the optimal snow depth at 2000m? Is it ok now?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm doing a week's guided off-piste trip New Year's week in Chamonix. Looks like theres more than enough snow cover snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bam555, you know what they say about asking daft questions... Happy

Snow depth quoted around 92cm (presumaby packed) at Lognan ~2,000m. My understanding is that piste/near-piste cover is excellent - no idea about coverage of snow bridges, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="under a new name"]bam555, you know what they say about asking daft questions... Happy

disagree and prove them wrong... wink the only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

[quote="under a new name"]bam555Snow depth quoted around 92cm.
Excellent! Thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bam555, aye, very true "the only stupid question is the one that was never asked."

And the only answer that's ever always wrong would be? Cool Cool
latest report
 Drammy
Drammy
Hi all,

New to the forum so how de doo?

I'm glad to see the last few posts (before this, my first post) were about there being no such thing as a stupid question!

With that in mind... A group of friends and I are going to Chamonix on 27th Dec for a week. I see there are currently 18 pistes open, is this because they've only just opened or because there isn't enough snow? I'm worried about there not being enough snow during our trip!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cos they haven't been opened yet. There's plenty of snow. Most of the areas open tomorrow. Check again tomorrow or Sunday to see how much is open, I'd be surprised if it wasn't close to 100% (barring any storms/wind)
latest report
 Drammy
Drammy
SideshowBob, Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I'll be watching avidly for the next 8 days now wink

Sooo excited!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drammy, even the new brevent is due to open omorrow
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowballs in the Mayors face from 10am
ski holidays
 Drammy
Drammy
Wicked!

I'll need to get the Girlfriend some hire skis - anyone got any recommendations where to get some from?

Also, she's a beginner so which are the best nursery slopes to leave her at? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Really excited, will be there in 13 days and counting, never been to Chamonix before so any tips for top powder apart from the obvious! would be appreciated, also best bars/clubs? most importantly is it still snowing out there?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been very busy skiing powder in Chamonix and Courmayor the last two weeks. Had best day probably skiing on the Helbronner, see photos at http://www.mountain-spirit-guides.com/gallery.asp?galleryID=65
Now it wont snow very much for a while... time for cosy christmas at home...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everybody,
I am new here and me and my friend are coming to chamonix in the 25 of dec hopfully for two months.
If someone want to join us and ski togther email me.
Pingpow@gmail.com
Peace,
Gal.
snow report
 Drammy
Drammy
Hi all Cham-heads!

We've just got off the ferry at Calais and should be in Chamonix at about 13.30

Are snow chains a necessity at the moment? If yes, where can we get some before we start our ascent?
ski holidays
Nope
snow conditions
No Chains not required at Chamonix

Returned on xmas eve after 4 days skiing in Cham. Snow was fantastic. Day 1 at Le Tour,2&3 at Brevent and flegere,4 at Argentiere. Blue sky skiing for all 4 days. On the warmest day snow got heavy at B&F. Argentiere was awesome and i would suspect snow will remain good for quite some time. We had a car which helped hired from GVA Fr snow chains no extra unless used then 45e. No need in Cham at the moment. Our beginner had no problem and skiied the black Chamois at Argentiere on day 4. I would not recommend Cham for a nervous learner, unless in a group of learners, coz they are likely to end up in different areas of the resort which can take the fun out of checking them out during the day with some encouragement. Other observation are

1) a lack of hilltop reastaurants (thankfully with the £ where it is) which might not suit some
2) suspect there are some pinch points on the lifts(i guess this is true of most resorts) 3
car is good to have coz although quite pre Christmas can imagine the bus queues can be an issue.
4)Parking in town a nightmare in the evening we found a quite one after picking up a 35e fine!!-At the roundabout on the mainroad around Cham sign posted to the sncf turn towards the town. After 200m parking on the right if you pass the right turn towards the station and under a bridge you have gone too far. It is a little walk into town but better than 35e!!

We had the best 4 days skiing and would love to return to Chamonix the sking is definitely a step up from La Plagne Sameons/Flaine and ADH our other destinations in recent years, but not for the faint hearted. ski in ski out springs to mind!

PS We took the trip up Aiguille Du Midi on the third day for gentler couple of hours (and we had pre paid for Mont Blanc Unlimited) the Vallee Blanche was roped and was being done. We thought about it but decided against. We had only 4 days and wanted to ski hard. Also at 75e pp it is not cheap. We were given the impression that to get the best out of VB it was a full day and a great day but not full on skiing. I hope we have not not missed a good opportunity.

The town itself is lovely with lots of very expensive shops!! The lift attendants really sociable (start of the season perhaps).

www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/index.php check this website out for resort info hope this helps somebody!!!
latest report
Thanks for the report. Will be there on Dec 30th.
Hope snow will remain good!
snow report
i did vb yesterday, a great experience, but alot of hard and icey snow about. Managed to avoid all crevasses but would not like to do it without a guide.
snow report
VB at this time of year is a totally different experience to when there is a good base... March onwards normally.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alex A,

Do you need much experience to do it? I have about 20 weeks or so, but hardly ever venture off piste.
ski holidays
johnboy, assume you are taking the wee wee ?! Laughing

I prefer the Grand Envers route myself if going that way.

All I meant from my post is that with a bigger base on the main tourist route then crevasses are not really an issue. So i;m sure even with your limited 20 weeks skiing you'd be ok on this "piste" like run. The arret my be too scary for you though Toofy Grin#

Bit i'm sure you are aware of all the above anyway, aren't you? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alex A,

No, I am serious. Never skied in Chamionix
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Alex A,

No, I am serious. Never skied in Chamionix

Apologies.

It's a scenic run and 95% of the time like a blue / red piste on the main tourist route. The only need for a guide in that it's glacial. At this time of the year with the limited base the crevasses are not as full as they will be so it's a bit more spectacular in one way. There are many variations however so something to keep everyone amused. Getting down the arret at the top is rather amusing sometimes when it's icy. But when with a guide they rope you together. I've not done the tourist route for years and prefer the Envers variations. Much steeper and a few couloirs at the end.

I've got a great helmet cam video of an entire run down the Grand Envers route...must post some of it.

Alex
snow conditions
See here:

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/docs/AVERTISSEMENT_MBU_TC_PRARION.PDF

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/index.php follow the links

NOTICE FOR THE ATTENTION OF
MONT-BLANC UNLIMITED PASS HOLDERS
Les Houches local council during its session of the 30th October 2008,
deliberation N°08.255, has voted against the possibility of the Mont-
Blanc Unlimited pass being valid solely on the Prarion gondola.
As a result, the Compagnie du Mont-Blanc & its subsidiary in Les
Houches “LH-SG” no longer have the possibility of proposing a pass
valid solely on this installation.
We invite our clients to visit the cash-desks of the Prarion gondola
where an alternative solution will be proposed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry replied to the wrong thread Embarassed
ski holidays
Compagnie du Mont Blanc reporting upto 40cm of new snow which sounds good. Doesn't look that much on web cams. Good news though Very Happy
ski holidays
It looks like 20 - 40cm at 3000m, 15 - 20cm at 2000m, and rain / sleet at 1000m down in resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All to die for today, not a soul out of bed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I couldn't agree more. Boot+ deep powder, new tracks to make all day in brilliant sunshine plus... no one else there until after lunch.

Today was as good as it gets.
ski holidays
The entry to the Vallee Blanche looks like Times Square in the rushhour today. Fairly busy:

http://www.chamonix.net/english/webcam/midi_arete.htm
snow report
johnboy, here's a video of the walk out from last Saturday,
http://youtube.com/v/uF94YuBbif8, It was quiet on that day. I'd say get some off-piste practice before you attempt it as it can be a long way down if you keep diving into the snow!
ski holidays
This week the busiest on record according the Compagnie du Mont Blanc.
snow conditions
Credit crunch not hitting Chamonix then rolling eyes I thought it may be quite quiet this year Sad
snow report
Alex A, A year for the locals? Cool
ski holidays
pembsflyer, and now MBU holders can get a day in Les Houches but only from the Prarion lift office...fecking idiots.
snow conditions
Been in Chamonix a few days now. Conditions are typically January. Fairly cold. Mostly crud offpiste. Windblown and icy onpiste. There is 3cm forecast tonight. But they need atleast 15cm to freshen things up. Set to get much warmer in the second half of week.
snow report
pretty nice today in le tour/vallorcine. Packed pistes but softened in the sunshine, very little (if any ice) - quite busy on the pistes however avec les francais out for the day.
ski holidays
Warm and sunny today.

Great conditions still on the sheltered sides of the valley.
snow report
Big Dump, incoming, bodes well for the Ski Test. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy