Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Dumping it down in town right now. Who cares about the economy, life's too short for money to stop you having fun!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When do the lifts open Steve?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dumping here too, very exciting!! (Chatel) lifts open for the weekends on the 6th dec, SMALLZOOKEEPER, do they open earlier where you are, it may be a trip round is in order!!! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fijit, Grands Montets hope to open for the season on Dec 6th & at weekends in November - if it snows.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It snowed down to 750m in Chamonix on Weds night! We have several cms in town 1080 and more than 60cm fresh at the top of the Aiguille du Midi! Looks like we might be skiing in November this year Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will be watching this thread with interest. I have fond memories of Cham' and Les Houches. PS has the situation with Les Houches been sorted yet?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Houches definitely looks to be opening, but without any linked ski passes (not St Gervais or Chamonix).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
PS has the situation with Les Houches been sorted yet?

Les Houches tourist office confirms the area will be open. It will not however be included on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass. This a real downer for people staying in Les Houches who will undoubtedly want to explore further a field. Those staying in Cham probably won't miss Houches too much since purchasing the MBU pass gets you unlimited access to Chamonix, Courmayeur and now Verbier! Seasonaires should buy their passes online from the Compagnie du Mont Blanc website before 23rd Nov to get 35% off!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So if some snow holds up and lifts open on 8/9 Nov, I might not only start the season early but also get my new boots from SZK.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It has been 16 degrees in town today and the foehn has stripped all the snow out of town Crying or Very sad .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
PS has the situation with Les Houches been sorted yet?

Latest from the websites shows the re-emergence of the skipass Mont Blanc to cover Les Houches, Chamonix and St Gervais, etc.
http://www.leshouches-prarion.fr/hiver/tarifrem2.php?PHPSESSID=522ed75b5fc5338a57670fd5407dec6b&PHPSESSID=522ed75b5fc5338a57670fd5407dec6b
http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/pages/forfaits_tarifs_2009.html
http://www.ski-leshouches.com/tarifs_hiver_2008_2009.html

Not advertised on the St Gervais lift site http://www.ski-saintgervais.com/tarif_en.php - yet

Appears to be a MBU plus.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 4-11-08 17:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any news on if the Brevent lift will open on time. On the web cam the cables are in which is good, but it shows the cranes are still operating at the bottom station!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Latest from the websites shows the re-emergence of the skipass Mont Blanc to cover Les Houches, Chamonix and St Gervais, etc.
http://www.leshouches-prarion.fr/hiver/tarifrem2.php?PHPSESSID=522ed75b5fc5338a57670fd5407dec6b&PHPSESSID=522ed75b5fc5338a57670fd5407dec6b
http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/pages/forfaits_tarifs_2009.html
http://www.ski-leshouches.com/tarifs_hiver_2008_2009.html

There seems to be some discrepency between the Compagnie du Mont Blanc Website and the Les Houches website. Les Houches is saying the area will be included on the MBU pass and the CMB is saying it won't (except for use of the Prarion lift and the Tramway du Mont Blanc - both these lifts are owned by the CMB). I'm pretty sure that the situation has yet to be resolved.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Les houches link seems to have changed already, now
http://www.leshouches-prarion.fr/hiver/tarifrem2.php?PHPSESSID=15242ffe5e6451d9f1e25598bfeaa1d6&PHPSESSID=15242ffe5e6451d9f1e25598bfeaa1d6

but it says for the Mont Blanc Skipass

Ski pass Mont-Blanc : accès illimité à l'ensemble des remontées mécaniques du Pays du Mont-Blanc, y compris Courmayeur (Italie).

In English (found for edit)
http://www.leshouches-prarion.fr/hiver/tarifrem2.php?PHPSESSID=15242ffe5e6451d9f1e25598bfeaa1d6&SMod=tarifrem2.php&SAct=&lang=2
Ski pass Mont-Blanc : access to the whole Pays du Mont-Blanc area, included Courmayeur, Italy.

You may be right that there may be a further slip betwixt cup and lip to come, but it does look like CMB, SEPP and LH-SG are all selling the Skipass MontBlanc to include the MBU plus the Evasion Mont Blanc area and Les Houches.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My reading is that there are three passes, Chamonix, Mont Blanc Unlimited, and Pays du Mont Blanc, only the last one including Les Houches.
snow report
jbob, I agree, the latter having the moniker "Skipass Mont Blanc"
snow report
jbob, beequin, Powder Monkey, oh good, the CMB don't look at all stupid then, at least they're in good company:

So, I can get my Annual MBU for €510 (with all discounts). I can buy a seasonal Les Houches pass for € 231. Although, all things equal I won't as it will be cheaper to buy the occasional day pass. Which I won't do anyway.

Or I can buy a PdMB season for €1,200. Errr, I really don't think so.

Alternatively, if I don't benefit from any discounts and are likely only to need winter access I can buy a Pays du Mont Blanc pass for €1,200 - a modest premium of €133 over the seasonal MBU price and probably worth it for the additional access. Presumably to the detriment of CMB and LH/SEPP revenues (as they have to share nice with everyone else).

So the net effect on me is that we won't ski in Les Houches this year. We will ski Verbier more often (I presume at a loss to CMB as I can't believe Verbier will compensate them just to have my elegant carves demonstrated). We won't ski Les Houches - so at a loss to them. We'll probably play in Courmayeur more when the weather's pants in Cham.

Can anyone point out the win-win to any of the operators on this one? I can't see it...

You can take the skilifts out of the mountain mentality but you can't etc. ad naus.
snow report
Absolutley 'Puking' down in the Sham' Duuuddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ski holidays
I've just booked to go to Chamonix for Christmas have have an interest in this thread. From website information there appears to be about 20cm in the village and 70-90cm at 2000m, although as lifts haven't open yet no official data available.

I am also looking for accommodation for 2 for Christmas week in Chamonix town, perferably don't want to pay more than €500. Also what's the parking situation like in Chamonix if i have a hire car?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-11-08 1:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Peter go to chamonet.com, good english bloke in resort who writes a trusty snow report, i am driving down on the 10th cant wait Pete i find erna low . co . uk is very cheap if you want self catering!

to all others guys is there any hidden little gems that me and friends can go and explore quite compotent all mountain skiers, but first time to chamonix,
ski holidays
Monsieur Ross:
On skie à Chamonix ce week-end
Le domaine des Grands Montets ouvre partiellement le 29 et 30 novembre puis durablement à partir du 6 décembre.
- Pistes ouvertes : Bochard, Marmottons, Coq et Pierre à Ric (retour station).
- Tarif spécial : forfait 4h : 23€ ; forfait journée : 28,50€
OK? snowHead
ski holidays
aw-hicks, here's a nice pic from chamonet.com from Monday this week, he estimates 40cm in the town and 100cm up high

snow report
I just love snowy scenes from resorts I'll soon be in, this one is awesome

latest report
guys anyone in resort can tell if its snowing or just a light mist?
snow conditions
Probably going for a long weekend in Cham between 11th and 14th Dec. Could anyone recommend a good hire shop where I could get a decent pair of freeride sticks? I'm taking my disco-board SL skis but would like to ski something chubbier if it dumps it down.
ski holidays
Anyone know when Vallee Blanche is likely to be open, how much more snow will be needed? I will be there Christmas week?
snow report
Ok, booked for 12th through 14th with Skiweekends. Stupidly agreed to their offer of a lift pass on arrival only to find they'd charged me £90 for a 3-day Chamonix pass! In resort it'd be 30 euro per day and the Mont Blanc area pass is only 100e for the three days Sad

Does anyone know which lifts will be open? From what I could gather on the CdM website the entire of the Brevent-Flegere and Balme areas are shut until the 20th Sad

(edit) Now I find out the bloody pass they sold me doesn't include the top lift at Les Grands Montets. Not impressed.
snow report
Shitttttttttting it down all over the town.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Here's a photo from last weekend on Alpin Forum

more here http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29094.

Still wondering anyone know when Vallee Blanche might be open to ski down? Looks like another 50cm in the next few days.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 5-12-08 17:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Peter Ross, If you don't know then forget it until Late January.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Shitttttttttting it down all over the town.

Cool Looking good for the 12th Very Happy

Is the Zoo open that weekend? May need to get my boots fitted properly.
latest report
It's still Shitttttttttttttting it down. If this carries on we'l have 60cm in town no problems by the morning, first time in my stay here!!!!!!!!!

Sideshow_Bob,

Yes open everyday.
snow report
small zoo keeper where is your shop based we are staying in chamonix sud...........

keep us updated on the snow please cheers Andy
snow report
aw-hicks, In Cham Sud, opposite the Midi Cable car, not ski set.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Peter Ross, If you don't know then forget it until Late January.

Are you saying it's a no go zone for a novice glacier skier until then regardless of snow fall? Because on Chamonix-guides.com I can book a guide from Dec 20th.
snow conditions
Peter Ross, you can book a guide, whether they'll take you down the VB is another story...
snow report
Why am I in Geneva? It's dumping like the morning after a truly dreadful vindaloo.
ski holidays
under a new name, thanks, yesterday I read they roped the top of Aiguille de Midi around Jan 14th last year, that might be a good indicator.
ski holidays
Simply divine in Cham at the moment. Best every start since a long time, the valley is just beautiful and really cold.
snow report
12 days left before I arrive, should be super

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 11-12-08 11:39; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy