Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
My pics.....

Oct 30th!!!

The Dru with snow on the larches
Vanessa in the snow

Nov 25th!!!

Snow Picnic!

Nov 29th!!!!!!!

Grands Montets - Bochard lift.
Grands Montets - top of Bochard lift
Grands Montets - top of Bochard lift

weeeeeeee Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
firebug, great pics as always Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Arno Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helbronner yesterday was AWESOME. Powder from the top right back down to La Palud - that'll be 2100m then... Hardly anyone about, blue skies, and plenty of space for fresh tracks.
Not to mention a good panini, and excellent coffee.

GM today was alright, still plenty of rocks around, but pockets of soft stuff to be skied. Quite a few folks skinning up and over towards Pt de Vue etc , some of the local youths got some nice looking snow down the Poubelle as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
firebug, I am now sporting your Bochard pic as my deaktop, hope thats OK, and dont tell DG.
As usual your photos are wicked.

Poubelle hmmmm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shittttting it down in Town again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
offpisteskiing, I know the GM is quite a rocky area anyway but how's the coverage in general? Is your reference to rocks large areas that aren't filled in properly or is it that there's lots of ski-wrecking stones under the surface on/off piste?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing, That will be the Te Crew, apparently awful conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

As usual your photos are wicked.

Indeedy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob, No large areas but plenty of ski (or health) wreckers there...

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Proper 'awful' or awful 'we're going back to do it tomorrow'?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Top ticket opening this weekend, also Le Tour.
I am still nervous about Brevent, any local gossip?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, Why are you nervous?

I am there in 16 days. Can't wait.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dumped it down last night as well by the looks of things... Should be packing ready for the 4pm coach right now. This time tomorrow I'll either be ripping it up up the GM or stuck in a snowstorm somewhere near Geneva Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, or sitting in a UK airport wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:
jbob, Why are you nervous?

I am there in 16 days. Can't wait.

I am there in 7, and also can`t wait, but its gone quiet on the progress of the new lift which if it does not open knocks out a third of the valleys uplift. How about "no news is good news" yes that will do i will shut up.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, or sitting in a UK airport wink

Hope not, I'm going by coach, not flying!
ski holidays
jbob, I saw the lifts all moving yesterday, nothing more than that.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks mate, what with all the snow i thought they might be off the pace, no grand opening with James Blunt then..
snow report
Can't wait!!! Jan 24th for me!!! 7 days in Chamonix!! Smile Smile
ski holidays
Bluenose75 wrote:
Can't wait!!! Jan 24th for me!!! 7 days in Chamonix!! Smile Smile

The same time as me then...

...hold on your my brother-in-law! Shocked

I to would be grateful if any locals could keep us updated on the Brevent lift, all my usual sources seem to have stopped updating webcams and are a tad slow on the snow reports to...I wish they'd stop going out on the hill and having fun!
snow report
manicpb, snow quite extraordinary. pix later. Weird weather today having been -13C yesterday it was hugely windy and +5C today. More snow forecast.

jbob, I heard that the Brevent was just awaiting some inspection or something like that.
snow report
Foern, snow has disappeared. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Just got back. A good long weekend, although everything was rather tracked out and as I was skiing either on my own or with a guy on our trip who didn't really do off-piste I didn't do any major back-country. Pont de Vue was very nice Saturday. Ridiculous winds yesterday shut the GM at 2.30pm, and as we were sat in the cafe waiting to see if it reopened some guy's snowboard was blown from a mound he'd shoved it in across the terrace about head-high before sailing down toward the valley. Crazy. We also had difficulties getting back to our hotel (Le Vert) due to downed trees.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I popped in on Friday night and Seb sorted me out with new footbeds and fixing the canting on my Sallys while taking the wee wee out of my weight but making up for it by keeping me with a beer in hand while the footbeds moulded. Made a massive difference, please pass on my thanks.
latest report
VB open!

http://www.chamonix.net/english/snow_reports/latest.htm
snow conditions
jbob, i saw that earlier not long till were out in the mix, all reports look very encouraging, just want it to stay cold and keep dumping.

is anyone else going over on the week of the 10th.
snow report
How about a Chamonix snowheads picnic on the 13th, bottom of the Herse at GM mid-day. There are some tables. Wear something orange.
ski holidays
jbob,as the hint of sacasm portrayed by few on the forum to new members, is shying me away from this but if you are on the the serious side of the fence then yeah that could be good, orange may be an issue?
snow conditions
aw-hicks, I am serious, only really a goer if there is enough. Alternatively/as well as, we could always do a happy hour sherbet at the Monkey bar in cham sud.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some very boring shots of Cham (nothing like as good as firebug's) here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=193803&l=a55fd&id=660675077
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, looks like the te crew have been at the pas de Chevre.
Nice photos.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, looks like the te crew have been at the pas de Chevre.

Ah, under the ropes round the right hand side after the steps from the cable car? I did think about following some Brits (who didn't seem all that great skiers to be honest but they did have shovels/probes/wearing harnesses) when they dropped under the ropes thinking that I could get back down to Bochard or Herse, probably just as well I didn't.

offpisteskiing wrote:
some of the local youths got some nice looking snow down the Poubelle as well.

I hope they roped in? It looked far too dicey coverage-wise (not to mention stupid-steep and hardly any room to turn) to go from the top. Like the Cheminees de Mascle at ADH I've marked Poubelle down as one to look at, admire and only consider doing with a guide/others if I have a severe suicide urge. There're some gorgeous-looking couloirs we could see from the hotel starting at the top of Le Brevent that a bit of googling suggests may be a bit more reasonable to ski at some point in the future.
snow report
jbob, yeah let me know then mate defo more up for a few shandys in Cham Sud
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, The last time I did the Pas de Chevre (central) we needed two abseils! Top tip, dont follow tracks in Cham unless you know where you are going.

You are right about the Brevent couloirs they are good and are more straightforward, with no glaciers- The ones to the left as you look at them (ENSA) are hard, the ones to the right emerge onto the Charles Bozon piste and get easier as you go right, better in the morning usually.

However AFAIK the Brevent lift is not due to open until the 20th and I did hear a rumour that it might be late. If it is it will be tight over the New Year.
snow report
Weather forecasts this morning are a bit of a concern ... freeze-thaw conditions well above 3000m. Could mean very unstable snow if its starts to melt, and loss of most snow at lower levels Sad

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chamonix/6day/mid
snow conditions
BrightonSki,

1. You are better off looking at http://www.chamonix.com/meteocham/MetPreE.php. You'll notice that they aren't making much of a forecast at all beyond Friday. AFAIK Snow-forecast is an automated service that just re-presents some of the various computer models as firm projections. It tends to inject an unreasonable expectation of certainty into an uncertain forecast.

2. "loss of most snow at lower levels" - unlikely. And who cares anyway? Most (almost all) of the Chamonix skiing is not at "lower levels". It's (almost all) above 1,900m.
snow report
jbob wrote:
VB open!

http://www.chamonix.net/english/snow_reports/latest.htm

That's great news, will be there from Saturday, better look into booking a guide soon, any recommendations?
ski holidays
Found one more report at http://www.chamonet.com/snow_report.php

and 15 days forcast is not so good at http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&locCode=EUR|FR|FR022|CHAMONIX&metric=1

Agreed, that weather forecast for two weeks ahead in the mountaines is a sort of guessing and intend that everything will be fine.
latest report
bam555, ah, clearly Accuweather is really good then. Current situation -10C and snowing. Except it's about +2C and mostly sunny. If a site can't get the measurable current situation right, there's not much hope for it.

What's wrong with cold at night mostly sunny during the day? Sounds perfect to me, even if it is just a pure guess.
snow conditions
bam555, yep, crap weather, only another 30cms in the garden overnight. La la la

snow conditions
under a new name, super, I really wanted the white Christmas feel in the town when I arrive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy