Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone local give an update on the current conditions? We arrive on Saturday and can't wait!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As of Saturday, huge snow depths at Les Grands Montets and Le Tour - getting icy over night and in the sun but softening towards midday. There was still some lovely powder on Friday but I imagine this will have gone off by now.

Vallee Blanche has a thick winded crust on top of nearly bottomless powder near the Rognons and Envers. Skiable from Montenvers down to town apart from at the top of Planards, which is now a bit of a building site for a new chairlift. Slopes above Argentiere Glacier are lovely hardpacked powder, almost piste-like (apart from rocks, couloirs and crevasses).

Cannot comment on Brevent or Flegere, LGM was just too good!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
avalon42, springlike. Almost classically so. See wot sproggski, says. Forecast this week warm & sunny. Hey, It's spring after all, we want slushy bumps. Been waiting all winter for them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be back in Cham (well Argentiere) the week of the 28th March, staying at the UCPA in Argentiere. I arrive on Saturday around lunchtime and have a day free skiing on Sunday before the freeride course starts on the Monday. Will check back closer to the time if any other SHs fancy meeting up either of those days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just got here at lunchtime and went up LGM, can't say i was too happy with the snow. Had assumed it would be slush so took out the fatties, but no, all except he lowest pistes were hardpack, anthing off the sides was crust crust crust. Still it's all snow and we can ski it, just been spoiled so far this year i guess. Have to go higher tomorrow (GM cable was reservation only and they had all gone) and see what that's like.
avalon42, don't worry whatever the snow's like - ski it & have a good time snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't believe SMALLZOOKEEPER wasn't on yesterday to say "dumping it down in Chamonix", 'cause it was Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
avalon42 wrote:
Can anyone local give an update on the current conditions? We arrive on Saturday and can't wait!

If your still there for the balance of this week you are a seriously spawny sod, kiwi1 says he's been on the phone to his testers in Chamonix and it's still snowing Shocked . You lucky lucky b*gg*r Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yessss! I arrive this weekend - so this is fabulous news snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We missed the snow but here it is coming in on Monday...

Glacier
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to the forecast at http://www.chamonix.net/english/weather/forecast.htm it's going to dump it down big-time on Saturday, which is the day I arrive Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crates packed, load truck tomorrow, be there in 45hrs from now. AND for a FORTNIGHT snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, what's your first week been like?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monday and Tuesday, skied Le Tour and the conditions were perfect. Thursday, we skied Flegere and it was slush by 11am. Yesterday, LGM was hard and dry with the lower slopes softening up around midday. There's been no snowfall since I've been here but apparently there's some due tomorrow night. Temps have been warm, around 13 degrees C most days (walking around in T-shirts in the valley).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic afternoon - typically springlike morning - up GMs today. Herse Bumps in immaculate shape. Didn't get the top cable, will try tomorrow. HIghest part of Bochard delightful.

Excellent, tired and looking forward to tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sat in Tourist Office trying to organise some childcare. Have to get out on snow SOON Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Its cloudy out, there was talk of rain in the valley (snow over 2000m), who knows?
snow report
There was a foul wind blowing in the valley this morning; some friends got stuck in the Aguille du Midi telecabine and there was a bit of drama but all returned safely.

It's getting hotter by the day here but there's still good snow to be had. Lower slopes are slush by late morning but conditions on higher slopes are lovely. Spring skiing is the biz snowHead

There have been rumours all week about a big dump due on Sunday. We live in hope.
snow conditions
Just back from a week in the valley: CSJ skied Brevent mornings & LGM afternoons, thoroughly enjoyed herself. Very Happy
snow report
I will be coming to my apartment in Samoens next weekend and want to ski 18/19th - the Chamonix valley may offer better height than the grand massif, snow-forecast is showing a freeze level of 2000m when the rain/snow hits Wed-Fir. Assuming that is correct, which lift/area should I head to on Saturday morning - and which pass would be best? I have only been to Chamonix in the summer. Any advice appreciated.
snow report
On Saturday we skinned up above Flegere and skied down to Le Buet (vallorcine). Had a beer at the hotel and got the train back to Cham. Snow was a bit hard up top but quickly softened into perfect Spring conditions. Soft at the bottom but decent cover all the way down. Aiguille midi was shut due to wind so got last cable car at Argentiere. First part of the black run had some soft dryish snow but when we dropped down towards the argentiere glacier it was a rock hard wind blown moonscape - horrible. Off the side at the end of the black and then the last bit down to the refuge de lognan had softened up and were fun to ski.
ski holidays
Hi all,
thought this update on conditions in cham would be useful for anyone about to come over for the last few weeks of the official season. From shorts, t-shirts and sun tan lotion in town yesterday to white-out blizzard like conditions on the col cornu at brevent this morning, 24 hours could hardly bring such contrasting days. It got too bad to see up top so we came down around 1.00pm and the good news is we've got big flakes in town right now (14.11), so it must be massive up top! and its just what the valley needs right now. With a little luck it will keep this up for today and into the weekend setting up some great fresh snow for anyone coming out in the next week. Sadly its a week late for us as we leave in the morning. Have fun.
ski holidays
Hey Stevo_the _saddler,
see my earlier post above re snow in the valley - so good news for you for the 18th/19th. Regards where to go and which pass, well theres a special deal right now for the Mont Blanc Unlimited where you get the second day for 1 (one!) euro, so thats the pass to get (a 2 dayer), and this will give you total access all over, including Courmeyeur on the Italian side. As for where the best places are, if this snow keeps up, Brevent and Le Tour would be good giving a good range of slopes and off as well, while if it gets hotter again, Le Grand Montets which is on the shaded side of the valley holds condition for longer in the day. Hope that helps. Have fun.
snow report
Nice one Publicity, that was just the news I was looking for.

Flying out tomorrow after work for a long weekend and I've been watching the reports of the alps metling away in 20 degree temperatures for the last 3 weeks and watching the snow retreat up the mountain on the webcams, not to mention reading reports of the slush.
That said, there's still something to be said for riding in the sunshine and chilling out so I was looking forward to it anyway.

I'd seen the forecasts talk of snow for back end of this week but you know how it is - you can't bank on it till it falls ! So you've made my day/week/month(!) posting that today.
Delighted to see that it's hit, and even more delighted to see the temp. dropping and snow falling in the valley instead of rain.

Cheers dude. Hope you enjoyed your trip.

G
snow conditions
Waist deep powder in some places at Grand Montet this arvo Smile
latest report
publicity, Nice to read this a few hours before setting off - perhaps I should put the chains in Laughing
snow report
Save some for saturday Zero-G snowHead

By the way for heading up Le Tour, is it better to park at the main base station, or head over to Vallorcine and get the gondola up ?

(I assume the gondala is still running, as i sar last week the runs down to Vallorcine were closed.)

Cheers

G
snow conditions
It should be quiet enough to be queue free at Le Tour at this time of year.
latest report
Gazzza, the gondola is still running. Not sure about the parking situation at Vallorcine as I've never actually seen that parking lot.

Thick cloud cover again today (can't see the sky) and some rain at valley level. Most of the people in my group have already set off for Grand Montet to start queuing for the gondola up to mid-station. Methinks GM is going to be a bit rammed today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, why so busy? Been quiet the last few Sundays (no comment on last one). Anyway, you're better taking the chairs to Plan Joran...fewer people...
snow conditions
under a new name, suppose we're all anticipating a mad rush for the powder. It's been pretty busy these past two weeks when the heat was turning everything else to slush by 11am.

Agreed re Plan Joran, it's the only way I've gotten onto that mountain due to queues at the gondola station.
snow report
Zero-G, you might be right (I hope for you that you're not). Haven't been up since the 1st so haven't noted the Easter crowds (and it wasn't busy in Champoluc...)
ski holidays
GM was relatively quiet today (though propably still the busiest of the areas in the valley). Got above the cloud Zero-G was describing in the morning and skied fresh under a blueish sky. Closed in a bit this afternoon but never enough to affect vis, certainly not in the trees.
snow report
midgetbiker, "though propably still the busiest of the areas in the valley" - why on earth would that be Twisted Evil
snow report
under a new name wrote:
midgetbiker, "though propably still the busiest of the areas in the valley" - why on earth would that be Twisted Evil

Can't say, haven't got it figured out yet. In fact I think everyone should stay away from GM (say in Les Houches) and let me have a clear run at the GM cable car all next week so that I can really work undisturbed at figuring it out. snowHead
Then I'll let you know. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Anyone skiing GM this week? What are conditions like coming down the glaciers from the top and in the Pendant bowl?
ski holidays
Interested in an update - might pull the trigger on a cheeky May day weekender if GM has been sufficiently refeshed after the heatwave earlier in the month.
snow conditions
Certainly some wind-blown fresh on Monday a.m. by the looks of things ( we were cutting across to head up the Arg' basin), plenty of bumps to be seen as well though...
snow report
bobinch wrote:
Anyone skiing GM this week? What are conditions like coming down the glaciers from the top and in the Pendant bowl?

Last skied it on Sunday morning, it was lightly snowing and had been for a while. Didn't really enjoy the run down from the top of the GM cable car to be honest, seemed like wind blown granular fresh on top of 2/3 day old snow that had been heavily skied. Maybe I was too early up (first car), had much better skiing later in the morning on (& off) the black down from the gondola (nicer, deeper fresh snow which everyone else seemed to ignore until just before lunch).

Weather reckons it might snow in Chamonix upto this weekend (when I get out there again) so with that and the cooling in temps I could well see May Day weekend being a perfectly good ski Smile
ski holidays
Great conditions to be had for those willing to work for their turns at the moment - all the Argentiere classics (NNE Courtes, Cristaux, Col Courtes) are in good condition, also Brenva Spur, Eugster (Midi) & NF Col du Plan have been seeing descents (amongst many others).

Thursday we climbed Swiss route & skied NNE on Courtes - great conditions - chalky snow all the way down.. no pics of descent unfortunately but one or two on the way up:

Grands Montets was mostly bumps - some packed powder & varying states of crust to be had off the top bin. Pierre a Ric now officially shut, and not v. pleasant on tired legs after missing the last bin down - refrozen slush bumps all the way - 200m of walking to get back to the bottom as of Thursday pm..

More snow due in next few days so its all good..!
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, a couple of big ticks there, respect.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy