Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unless you can ski a black run with confidence, you are a beginner!

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Epaule du Charvet in the afternoon - Total beginner Embarassed

Every turn an admission of fear. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, is there any beer involved between them? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
all in the mind, all in the mind. Good day, bottle up, good conditions, ok. Bad day, bottle back at apartment and the blues become cripples corners.
Isn't it all about having fun? Leave the pigeonholes at home.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes - next question...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MarjMJ, Until VT this year I was frightened of the different coloured markers first blue ones, then red ones (didn't get as far as the next colour), Then common sense and confidence dawned and I now know beyond doubt that good snow can make red pistes easy and bad snow can make green pistes hard - piste markers? pah!!

Signed: The enlightened still slightly nervous intermediate Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sharkymark, no, but one was freshly pisted and on fresh legs. The other wasn't.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As I can ski a blue run, I understand that puts me in the category Snow + Rock call "Expert"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark, no, but one was freshly pisted and on fresh legs. The other was freshly pissed and on pissed legs.

Closer to the truth, FtS? Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I prefer the snow to be white - the black bits make a mess of the bases of my skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie, not good enough to ski and drink I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, I need to stop judging people by my own standards, don't i? Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Is that Santons down into Val D'Isere?

Isn't it graded blue and always complete carnage with people falling over and stopping everywhere so you have to play 'dodge the beginner' by going up the sides?

Anyway, having raised head above said parapet, I'm off....

I've got to get up at stupid o'clock wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiBod, Hello stranger Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod, I can still here the screams from "Kramer's Off-Piste Lesson" ringing in my ears... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
'Even if you can ski the occasional 'Black Run' with confidence you may still be a beginner' .. I should know.
I hate the term 'intermediate' .. aka ' I can stand up on skis but may fall down but think Im better than others'

..Time for Bed ..
snow report
What is confidence?

I'm scared all the time!!
snow report
Does it matter.. ?? Laughing

Jeez, I must be bored and this site slow if I am responding to thread like this Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 22-10-08 22:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Fairly confident on the "black" down to Altenmarkt, but other than that, what Agenterre said Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, E d C in the afteroon in fog over twigs because someone took a wrong turning and thought they were on Santons, oh happy beginner days snowHead
ski holidays
So if you can ski a black run and be confident that you will fall over does that make you an expert on the snow & rock scale? Wink
snow conditions
PsychoBabble, We were in a lesson. 3 of us and the instructor says: "Do you want to do a boring blue, or the mother of all black mogul fields". I suspect my 2 friends misheard what the instructor asked rolling eyes In the end it was a massive learning experience for us all and helped so many aspects of our skiing.

Jerry, I suspect someone had been playing silly bugs with a marker pen on the piste map and signs wink .
snow report
If you can ski stuff in canada that has "Experts only" on the sign at the top, does that make you an official bona fide expert then?

Can I wear bright red instructor-clone Spyder stuff now, then? wink I've been dreaming of this day for YEARS Laughing
ski holidays
I'm confident I could ski a black with fear and trepidation, is that ok?
snow report
arno - is that in courchevel -grand coliour (spelt really badly)
Which really shouldn't be classed as a piste. IMHO to be a piste it must see a piste basher at least once a season
latest report
my pic isn't a piste - it was just a patch of snow which had been turned black/grey by rock dust (as was surprisingly nice to ski)
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I on the other hand was following Mrs Psycho, will I never learn?
latest report
Hurray, I think in order to answer this question properly we need a full criteria of abilities on a scale . . . so for the sake of Pol Pot (anybody get that ?) and for some general look at the size of my wanger waving by those itching for the chance:

Beginner - first week
Low Intermediate - Blues some Reds
Intermediate - Blues/Reds some Blacks
Good Intermediate - Doesn't really look at piste colours, easy off-piste
Very good Intermediate - As above, moguls + any reasonable off-piste
Expert - Anything fluently including hard moguls, most conditions, exposure optional
True Expert - Anything fluently including hard mogul, any conditions, with exposure
Racer/pro-skier

Let's be honest, a lot of the time the snow condition mean it's just not that much fun skiing off-piste. When I see somone skiing hard off-piste fluently in tough conditions, that's great. When I see someone zip-line hard moguls, that's more impressive to me. I also don't think you necessarily need to execute absolutely 'perfect' technique to be a good skier, especially as the definition of 'perfect' is subjective anyway.

davidof, from the look of the snow and the trails that have evidently taken an edge, I'd guess the definition would be 'some slushy ice, probably late on in the season'.
snow conditions
Arno, looks like a nice little wet snow avalanche up there.

Actually, without the cr*p conitions would this be a red? (I assume it is actually off-piste)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin,
Quote:

and the definition of age is when half way down a black you stop for a breather and both daughters are at the bottom looking up with that teenage 'Oh Dad' look

I find the opposite. My son's 24 year old legs can travel far longer on the cruising red runs. So when I want to get back to alpha male status I take him down more dificult terrain where I can speed down and he has to pick his way. Who says compassionate parenting is dead. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
snowball, probably - that area gets quite warm
in terms of steepness, it's probably at the red end of blue. it is off piste
latest report
Jerry, I suspect someone had been playing silly bugs with a marker pen on the piste map and signs wink .
It said black, so it was a black! I'm claiming it! Wink
ski holidays
Arno, sounds about right. Depends on the resort, of course: it would be a red at Kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
Nickski, not enough variation of line in your scale.
ski holidays
Thanks comprex, that's a useful and valuable criticism. Do you think you could help by working that in to the scale ?
snow conditions
surely it is ok to enjoy skiing without trying to earn the biggest balls coz u can ski a black, for all to enjoy??
latest report
Alpaka Lodge, good point.
latest report
Cymru am Byth wrote:
boredsurfin,
Quote:

and the definition of age is when half way down a black you stop for a breather and both daughters are at the bottom looking up with that teenage 'Oh Dad' look

I find the opposite. My son's 24 year old legs can travel far longer on the cruising red runs. So when I want to get back to alpha male status I take him down more dificult terrain where I can speed down and he has to pick his way. Who says compassionate parenting is dead. Twisted Evil

Hmm, my two have been on skis every year since they could walk and I have to admit.....they are almost as good as their Dad Laughing Sad
snow conditions
Nickski, you mean something like this:

Beginner - first week. Line selected by others (instructors).
Low Intermediate - Blues some Reds, wide lines centered around fall line, not very goal-directed (intentional) turn shape control, timing irregular and not controlled.
Intermediate - Blues/Reds some Blacks, line choice is centered around fall line, turn shape & control governed by rhythm and line width.
Good Intermediate - Doesn't really look at piste colours, easy off-piste, line choice can vary away from fall line, turn shape governed and timing governed by line choice
Very good Intermediate - As above, moguls + any reasonable off-piste , line choice intentionally used to select turn shape and timing.
Expert - Anything fluently including hard moguls, most conditions, exposure optional, able to vary line, turn shape, timing, at will.
snow report
comprex, I also think a good intermediate should be aware of the mountain - i.e. have awareness of those skiing around him/her and be able to vary their turn shape to keep himself and others safe.
Also, to read the mountain and slopes and ski accordingly.
latest report
comprex, that's reasonable. I was trying to keep it ultra short and simple otherwise these discussions go off up their own fundament as everyone beats their own hobby horse and the next thing you know somebody wants to include Inner Leg Extension and the legendary glove and pole technique.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy