Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees snow report 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Its looking very warm on the weather forecasts. What are the conditions actually like on the mountains?

I'm not out until the 29th, so a lot can happen between now and then.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bar shaker,

I know it snowed again at the end of last week but friends doing (Dog) sledging in Peyragudes at the WE said it was very warm..and the Pas de la casa webcam have show snow with that shiny wet look...
That said, the cover is such and the weather still so changeable, that there are no real reason to worry... there still might be a few dumps before your trip...
I'm in Toulouse for the 8/04.. So I am just as anxious as you for it to stay nice! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What and exciting and exhausting weekend..... Lots of km, lots of skiing, tons of snow, and also lots of fun...

Saturday skied Arcalís, due the wind the highest area was closed, BUT I can't wait, so skinned up and did a First trace...
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/070309%20ordino/1.jpg

Then Sunday went to Tavascan, a little jewel for freeride (only 1 little and old lift, only 1 building (the refuge), but brings access to a nice area and always very quiet)
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/080309%20tavascan/2.jpg

Then stopped skiing early, did 200km to another valley and skinned up to the Refuge of La Renclusa in the Aneto-Maladetas range. Really nice to skin with full moonlight....
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/090309%20maladeta/02.jpg

And finally yesterday, another big day, blue sky.....and a major descent of about 1500m of vertical in an absolute solitude in the highest range of the Pyrenees....
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/090309%20maladeta/07.jpg

In the way home a photo to dream in.....maybe next year, maybe next week, or maybe never but only to think ski it bring us our dose of adrenalin.... Central couloir from Pic d'Alba (3118m) to Baños de Benasque (1700m)...huge vertical with a nice gradient..
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/090309%20maladeta/17.jpg

More photos coming soon in my blog

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-03-09 11:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quality photos AlTom, comme d'habitude.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
menudo chorreo.....digoooooooooooo
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Amazing snow in the maladeta massif!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good report from the western and wettest part of Pyrenées!!! enormous amount of snow at only 1600msnm.

http://climaynievepirineos.com/foro/viewtopic.php?p=11579#11579
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
metalhead132,

That photo of the snow plough kind of sums it up Shocked

The long range forecast (never reliable) shows the equinox storms arriving around the 20th March and carrying *lots* of snow. I know that this is when the Pyrenees always gets most of its snow but I just hope the avalanche risk stays acceptable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Normally March and April are the snowiest months, but our climate is quite irregular. So we are expecting for a change in weather that brings to us more snow and powder. Maybe around the 20th of march we get it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spring conditions today....But nice ones, with the big base that the mountains already have is really nice to ski in firn snow. Today skinning day again, skinned up to Font Blanca (2904m) in the boarder between Andorra and France. Lots of snow and we did the descent at the hour that the snow was "al dente", 1100m vertical in a serie of couloirs finishing in the trees.. Really nice the view from the top (you arrive and start descent from the top with skis at feet), you can see from Aneto to Canigó, impressive 360º view.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The "other" face of Andorra, far from any ski resort or massification, lots of opportunities to found nice slopes, and good snow. And in Andorra all the refuges are FREE, but don't have any comodities or guardians, only little buildings to pass the night; and there are lots of them in comparison with the little extension of country...

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/AlTom81/090315%20fontblanca/8.jpg

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-03-09 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlTom, metalhead132, Excellent photos and reports as usual. I'm glad it's still so good for you. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
AlTom, metalhead132, Excellent photos and reports as usual. I'm glad it's still so good for you. Very Happy

It's still good, and it will lasts some months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ... I think now is the BEST moment of the season after powder weeks that we have had in december-january-february. There are lots of snow, and more chances of soft snow (powder or spring). Normally march-april are the months with highest precipitation of season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The forecasts are for temperatures to really fall at the end of this week, with lots more snow next week. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
The forecasts are for temperatures to really fall at the end of this week, with lots more snow next week. Very Happy

yeahhhhh
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:

Loving it! Cool snowHead
ski holidays
Yes....nice forecasts, but the bad side is that next weekend we'll have the fall of temperatures, and precipitation don't start till sunday night-morning, so maybe difficult conditions to ski--> Hard snow.. Sad ... Maybe if finally the sun rises some S faces can be skiable late in the day.... Sad Sad
snow report
metalhead132 wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

yeahhhhh
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

It really does need for the temperature to drop. Just back from a week in Arinsal and conditions were terrible (relatively - still beats working Very Happy ). Very much freeze-thaw. Hard packed first thing and then very soft by midday and slush into the afternoon. Very hard work.

There's plenty of snow on the mountains to last the season without a top-up but it's certainly not as good as would have liked. Sad

Still, there's always next year to look forward to Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tony Ellwood wrote:
Hard packed first thing and then very soft by midday and slush into the afternoon.

And where are bad conditions??? Maybe you need fat skis to enjoy any type of soft snow.... I love spring snow!! rolling eyes rolling eyes (but not as much as powder for sure...)
snow conditions
The cold temps should hold for a couple of weeks at least, possibly longer. Ahigh pressure over the UK will bring winds down from the Arctic, over Scandinavia, rond over the Alps and be easterley over the Pyrenees.

The GFS has 0.5m of snow starting on 27th.

How well do the authorities keep the pass open from France? I am thinking of not taking the coach and renting a car to be sure I get there on 29th.
ski holidays
Now in the forecasts still freeze-thaw until monday, so waiting that the models stop changing.

And more photos in my blog of past sunday in Andorra (http://berniboom.blogspot.com)
snow report
AlTom, How about the road up from France? Do they always keep it open?
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
AlTom, How about the road up from France? Do they always keep it open?

As always is a road pass at about 2000m....SO.... meteo conditions and security are important, but normally they put all thir efforts in maintain it open. So you can expect it will be open
snow conditions
Tony Ellwood, Spring snow everywhere. that's what happens when it's warm. No-one can control the weather, so learn to ski it and enjoy it. Very Happy
latest report
till looks to be getting colder. These are 1500m temps.

snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Tony Ellwood, Spring snow everywhere. that's what happens when it's warm. No-one can control the weather, so learn to ski it and enjoy it. Very Happy

That sounds like a telling off Blush

I never said that I didn't enjoy it, just that the skiing would have been even more enjoyable if the conditions were better. Incidentally the Rep said that they had had more breaks (as in broken bones) that week, than for the whole of the season. I wonder whether the conditions were responsible?
snow conditions
Yes....I also want waist deep powder, but not always is possible... Surely broken bones in the morning when the things are hard, and also maybe broken ligaments in the afternoon when the things turns too soft for many people. So maybe anyone need to know his level, not only the conditions.
snow report
Not waist deep powder but a bit of fresh every day and nice cold temps to keep it fresh. That will do nicely.

latest report
Surely the actual conditions can't remain all the season, so keep fingers crossed and pray for a better april. While the wetter don't change I'll continue to discovering the pyrenees skinning and looking for good descents, nice sun, and still lots of snow to ski...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tony Ellwood, define better. Some of us love spring snow and don't mind a bit of slush - just like heavy fresh to ski really.
latest report
Heading out to Soldeu tonight. Anyone been in Andorra this week? How's it holding up?

Looking at forecasts and reading the above, we're expecting freeze / thaw - any tips? We're all on mid-fats, though in 10 years I've never skiied spring conditions before. Shocked

Cheers, Harvs
ski holidays
banzai, Keep your skis moving forward if the slush is heavy - but really it's just like heavy fresh. Very Happy sharpen your edges for crisp mornings and you'll love it. Very Happy
snow conditions
Another really amazing weekend. If maybe not much "skiing" versus skinning really worth it (the group was not much "descender"). And I found 4-5 turns in SOFT POWDER, yes, you can believe or not, but I just did it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Did 2 days in val d'aran, still lots of snow, and still lots of fun... The season isn't finished yet!! It has started the backcountry season!! NehNeh NehNeh

Beautiful Pyrenees:
snow report
The spring is over xDDD, wellcome to april's winter!!

Good forecasts for next week and easterand still one month to finish!!
snow report
metalhead132 wrote:
The spring is over xDDD, wellcome to april's winter!!

Good forecasts for next week and easterand still one month to finish!!

One month???? I think we have enough snow until June..
snow conditions
metalhead132, AlTom, Looks fantastic, but please, after it snows with you, make sure some comes across to us. Very Happy We are not short of snow, but some more would be nice now. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like the Alps got our moist cold front. Some snow still expected this weekend.
latest report
I put more photos of past weekend in my blog...http://berniboom.blogspot.com/

snow report
This weekend will snow!!! Finally we have some snow to refresh the slopes and the mountains.
I think 30 to 40 cm could fall.
Keep the fingers crossed. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
woo hoo!

I will be in Andorra from Sunday. I am so looking forward to another powder fix.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
woo hoo!

I will be in Andorra from Sunday. I am so looking forward to another powder fix.

O nice...your powder praying is coming, starting saturday afternoon, sunday midday a little pause, then monday another storm....them too long to say nothing accurate.. but is looks nice now..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy