Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees snow report 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
This past weekend with some friends went to the Pyrenees, to walk a little. The idea was to climb to Besiberri Sud (3.025m) and Comaloformo (3.030m) from the Cavallers dam at 1700m, so a long walk and a lot of vertical. The besiberris are located in the National parc of Aigüestortes, in the middle of catalan pyrenees.

The week before finished with a cold winds from the north and we can see the first snow in the range, maybe 20-30cm. As always the most beneficiated part was the atlantic area, but this part is in the divide, so always receive some snow from every side, this time only 5-10cm at all.

The walk was really hard, firstly because it have a gentle and constant pitch (maybe like a red piste or more) and the conditions are real winter conditions, -1ºC at the start and in the midday -6ºC at 3000m, so not far from some winter days. The way is completely a rock garden, so an awful place to walk with snow and ice....but finally I touch the snow another time, and more happy because after 10 hours of walking the knee was in perfect condition (and the descent was very demanding for knees).

I can see lot of places to attempt in winter, my skins will know all this area for sure.

Here the prove:

More photos on my blog: http://berniboom.blogspot.com/2008/10/retrobada-amb-la-muntanya-el-fred-i-la.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic!

Glad your knee is doing OK.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No snow these past weeks. Warm weather that rise limit snow level up to more than 3000m.

On saturday another hike, but this time in the eastern part starting in the ski station of Vallter2000 (less than 2hours from my home) and doing 5 different peaks above 2800m in the divide between catalunya and France (finally we walked about 20km). The weather was foggy and a little rain in the catalan part, and sunny and cloudy in the French part. Really the divide can change the weather dramaticaly.

In this area still no signs of snow......

Walking along the divide at about 2700m, and looking the Bastiments (2884m the highest in the area) and Baciver at the right:

And another of me before attempting the Pic de l'Infern (It can be translate as Hell's Peak!!). In the afternoon the weather change and the fog increased as the rain started..

More photos soon on my blog.

This week can be THE FIRST WEEK. The forecasts are saying a hard NW entrance on wednesday-thursday that can means lots of snow in N and NW pyrenees, and a little less in the southern part. The snow can start at about 2400-2500m and after the pass of the front the temperature will drop and could snow down to 1200-1300m. In that moment, probably, the precipitation intensity could drop, so the real accumulation could be in highest parts. We will see, after that I'll decide where I'll go to hike and touch some snow...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlTom, I'm really pleased to hear your knee is standing up to some serious work, and also that you're getting out into the mountains again. Have fun. Very Happy BTW I have one of Metalhead's pictures as my desktop at the university to cheer me up when I switch on the computer. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ohhh my god,...what maps for next week,....historical snowfalling maybe Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As metalhead132 said, the forecasts for next week are very nice. All the models go in the same direction, with a big front coming from N that will bring us cold and snow. Now the local forecasts are saying acumulations bigger than 50cm at 1500m. But when the cold air arrive can snow down to 800-1000. Unreal prediction for the end of october.

The meteogram is nice:

The dimension of the front is really impressive, will pass through the Alps and the pyrenees with a lot of power. So, maybe next week we have SNOW for ALL!!

PD. This week, no images of the pyrenees before that, but next week I promise some pics if it finally happens
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grandvalira

Baqueira

Portainé

Masella

Snow accumulation is above 50cm in the best places and more on the way
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wowwwwwwwwwww

Masella
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
metalhead132, Wooooow! Where is that? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grandvalira.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wow thats impressive depth for october, looking at Masella with the snowcannons on, i guess it looks like potentially a good early start for the pyrenees snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, La Molina has the World Cup of snowboard 15th of december,..they are very lucky!!! jeje
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very impressive, but is it wise to run the snow cannons this early? Surely it's going to get warm again before winter arrives melting the natural and man-made snow. Maybe they were just testing the cannons?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah thats true, it could just be a test, though I guess with a decent depth and the help of some cannon'd snow, they might get a PR weekend or two out of this first real snow of th (autumn) winter 08 snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Very impressive, but is it wise to run the snow cannons this early? Surely it's going to get warm again before winter arrives melting the natural and man-made snow. Maybe they were just testing the cannons?

I think the snow under 1900m will melt. But above this, we have a good base to start the season!!!
snow conditions
metalhead132, thanks - fab pix, and good to see. we even had snow in England yesterday, but none here in Bath. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Still storming here.

In the north side the skies are opening,..and voilá
snow report
http://www.telefonica.net/web2/cerdanyolameteo/webcams_pirineu.htm
ski holidays
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Really amazing....AND the forecast for weekend is another storm on the way with the snowlevel at about 1800-1900, maybe 2000m, but above that the result of the week could be brilliant!!!!

It's perfect for our littles glaciers, that after the "not much hot" summer and with this snow cover had been pass the best summer in years...

And surely some ski resorts will try to open before december (remember that in Spain 6th and 8th december is holiday, and usual it traduces in lots of people going ski, is peak season)
snow report
metalhead132 wrote:
Yes, La Molina has the World Cup of snowboard 15th of december,..they are very lucky!!! jeje

Not exactly....is the Skiing WC!!!! Womens Slalom and GS.... But, by the way, this snow is a good new for the event.

Is the return of the skiing WC to the pyrenees, a really important event.
ski holidays
ok,... I had thought it was WC of snowboard xDDDD
ski holidays
FWIW les Angles this afternoon

http://fr.youtube.com/v/2jsoDNjv3vE
latest report
davidof wrote:
FWIW les Angles this afternoon

http://fr.youtube.com/v/2jsoDNjv3vE
That's encouraging! We've just taken on some accommodation in Les Angles, for the first time Very Happy
ski holidays

Yestarday baqueira, groomed the pistes above 1800m.

Today is snowing again above 1400m. Saurday the snow level will rise to 1800-1900m, and on sunday drop again to 1400m with heavy precipitation forecasted
latest report
metalhead132, I checked the Baqueira webcam yesterday - looks excellent. Hope they get the other cams up and running soon.
snow report
metalhead132, If anything is open at the weekend will you go up?
snow conditions
Is Baqueria intending to open this weekend, hence the pisting?
snow report
easiski wrote:
metalhead132, If anything is open at the weekend will you go up?

There's no resort opened yet!! Sad Sad Sad Sad

But may be next week,....I don't now. The officially opening is in Masella on 22th of November.

This Sunday, if the forecasts are OK, we will have historic snow pack....accumulations about 150cm are predicted in south side of Pyrenées....really brutal forecast for the Pyrenées, I'm shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 31-10-08 13:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Is Baqueria intending to open this weekend, hence the pisting?

I think they groomed the piste because the wind don't blow the snow,.....baqueira opens oficially 29th November
latest report
metalhead132, It looks so good it's really a shame if they don't open. Sad
snow conditions
and who's going to pay to run those lifts? wink most of the regulars are still in tennis/golf/hiking mode.....a friend in Viella(near Baqueira) was complaining about not being able to complete a tennis tournament.metalhead132, our lifts here are running so that tourists can appreciate the autumn foliage.....send us some of that wonderful cover you have! que goceis de las primeras vueltas por Miradores, Solei etc! que invidia! snowHead
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

8-9-november,....may be good weekend to do some turns,...lift served.....or not Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
metalhead132, I need to go somewhere that weekend...pretty far from Brussels but I'll follow the snow anyway
snow conditions
The forecasts for the weekend are too heavy for skiing. As metalhead132 said, will be a historical snow record at the end of the week. I can't remember octobers like this, some meteo station in cataluña will have new records. I can't wait!!! I have my skins warmed up for next weekend.

At the moment the balance of today is between 30-60cm of new snow (more!!!) but a lot of difference between southern side and northern, in the north (france) only a little dusting of 5-10cm at much. This front will be passed tomorrow at midday, but at the afternoon arrives another bigger that can bring more acumulations. So, speak about more than 100cm only in the weekend isn't wrong. Added at the actuals snow heights...... The most beneficiated areas in this situations, as Maladetas and Aneto, could acumulate between 1,5-2m of new snow in all period.

Really crazy!! Some newspapers in Spain are saying that this is because global warming and climate changing!!! If it's true I'll be a Pro-global warming!! Razz Razz Razz
ski holidays
AlTom, Your resorts should learn from The Lecht in Scotland - open today - wow! the photos look great too. I hope all that snow does arrive and that you get some really good early skiing. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
A little resort in the Cantabric Mountains opens tomorrow!!!, so far for me
snow report
easiski wrote:
AlTom, Your resorts should learn from The Lecht in Scotland - open today - wow!

i don't think the same, we will have the storm til tuesday-wed, and tomorrow can have a 'heavy' day. when the weather changes and the sun rises they can work to pack all the snow, prepare the pistes like protections, snow cannons, chairs, etc etc. and maybe next weekend open
partially. not now...

but after all, good news.

this night the snow limit level had rised up to 2200-2300m. in my opinion is good to stabilize the snowpack for the season. the forecast for tomorrow is huge storm with snow down to 1500-1600m.

still i can't believe it............, really nice, i'm pretty excited.
ski holidays
Very heavy snow overnight and this morning, 6 inches at 600m but a lot more higher up. Photos to follow after I have warmed up. Helped clear the road to Artigue (1200m) where trees were down under the weight of the snow. Very Happy
snow report
AlTom, Look at the video from Yad Moss in England - it's a pity (IMO) that more people are not prepared to ski in less than ideal piste conditions, but I hear what you say about conserving the snow. I only hope that they're doing the same thing in LDA. snowHead
ski holidays
As I said today had THE BIG ONE.... A strange thing had ocurred with temperatures, because while in the northern side snow down to 600m, in some places at less than 20km (straight line) the snow up to more than 2000m!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Unreal!!!

The good news are that acumulations in ground in areas above 2000-2200m are greater than 1m, and maybe some places not affected for the wind, or some valleys that receives the snow storm added to the wind transport can have acumulations in ground between 1,5-2m we will see all when it finishes but it's an historical storm.

In catalunya some places had received in all episode totals of precipitation near 300mm in 3 days!!! For example the meteo station of boi at 2540m says that had an acumulation of 1m of snow in ground, and the total balance of 31-1-2 is: 85,1-51,7-92,4. SO a total of: 229,2mm!! All snow (the wind can move a lots of snow in this mountain....). This information togheter with more meteo stations are given the information that above 2300-2500 in central pyrenees the snow in ground average is about 1m, enough to ski!!

Because the rising of temps added to the last days snow and today rain, now we have some rivers at maximum capacity and some local roads closed prevently.

The snow falled is very wet til 2500-2600m, perfectly for the ski season, above this altitude the temperatures are so cold to hold the snow, and below that with the falling of the temperatures predicted for this night the snow will pack. I said, maybe not the best snow conditions to ski (below 2300-2500m) but in my opinion good news for the season, specially for "randonnes" and offpiste. Next weekend glaciers and the 3 thousands can give some nice moments to ski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy