Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Snowdrop, Will watch out for you Cool

easiski, Looks like we may get to finally use our snow chains on Wednesday. Snow apparently due on Tuesday and Wednesday Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoping for a nice dump before my arrival next saturday!! Looking forward to taking my 8 year old up to the Glacier for the first time! Although sharing a T bar with him may be awkward!! Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo, He'll probably like the train better! Snowdrop has 2 boys, I'm not sure of their ages though. See you soon.

Even if it doesn't snow there'll still be lots left. You have no idea how much is lying on the ground! Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, my boys are 9 and almost 7, we are staying in le Cret but I have never been to L2A so have not got any idea where anything is,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowdrop, http://www.les2alpes.com/fr/hiver/info-station/plan-de-la-station.html is an interactive map of the station. I think Skiworld work with the European Ski School which is the best of the rest, so check that out. Also the Cret is opposite the ski school office.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got an 8 year old and 7 year old on trip with me. and 9 month old but he wont be skiing!! Have to let you know where we hanging out etc when we there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 days to go

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
R32 wrote:
2 days to go

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

6 days to go ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
R32 wrote:
2 days to go

6 days to go ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
provenjohn, Will probably see you at the end of the week Cool
How long are you out for?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R32, 12th to 18th Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
today was again exceptionally warm, although it did cloud over mid-afternoon and I'm pretty sure it snowed on the glacier. We had a few flocons at the end of the afternoon on the Cretes. The snow at 2,600m in the early morning was as good as it gets. Very Happy Perfect winter corduroy. Skiing down to the Cretes about 11.00 we found some quite hard snow, and the Cretes at lunchtime was OK but getting soft at the bottom. Top of Thuit was firm and good, bottom of Thuit nice all the way to the last quarter. HOWEVER ..... Cretes was soggy and gluey in the afternoon and skiing home on l'Y was not a particularly pleasant experience. Sad Would have been better if it had been pisted (small bumps all over), but it was undoubtedly better than the Valentin. Laughing

this lovely warm weather has brought it's problems, Diable is looking very brown at one side now, and the sog is not much fun to ski (I still prefer it to very cold though). One good thing today, walking home were the first primroses I've seen this year. Very Happy Very Happy My favourite flowers.

Pics of them and of the Thuit from the bottom - not hard to guess which is which!!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And as the snowline recedes, Lord Ioda will no doubt enjoy even more vole hunting! Had one presented to me at 6.30 this morning - dratted thing was only playing dead and suddenly rolled over and shot under a cupboard, leading to a wonderful game of indoor vole hunting involving me, two cats and a ski pole rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly, And as Lizzard pointed out to me that only encourages them to think it's a fun, family game! Shocked He's out at the moment, and I'm wondering what will come in later. Puzzled

Today started really nice, sunny and no wind and the snow on the glacier was as good as it gets. Very Happy We skied L'Echines which was actually really nice but lumpy - good packed powder though. Skiing down to 2,600m was a little firmer, and (having the Zags on my feet instead of the Fischers) I found a couple of slick patches. The choice at the moment is: skis good int he morning that grip like bu**ery, or skis good in the afternoon that don't grip all that well???? the Zags are lighter. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy some hardpack on the way to the Cretes and pretty slushy on the Cretes but better than yesterday, due to the weather closing in a bit around 13.30, a bit of wind and a lot of cloud. Bizzarely, and to my surprise, the Grande Pente is in much better condition that l'Y. Very Happy Very Happy There are some grassy patches showing through though, and the Pied Moutet side is beginning to look rather summery.

Pic of our tracks on the Echines (if you can see them).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
.......And as Lizzard pointed out to me that only encourages them to think it's a fun, family game!
Trouble is the alternative is what happened last year - we thought the drains were getting whiffy... but tracked the source down to under the cupboard... eew!
snow conditions
Been over to LG at all lately? Skiable below (or even to) P1? I'm out again on Thurs evening for my usual Easter weekend, and I'm a bit concerned with all these sweltering temps you've had recently. I guess it was too much hoping for a repeat of last year's fantastic powder, but it's all starting to sound a bit dodgy now. At least it doesn't sound forecast to get super cold and turn the traverses into the vile ice-rinks we had for the snowHead trip last year.
snow conditions
Arrived in Reims at 6pm.......roads extremely quiet in the UK, got straight through the Tunnel (no queues & it left right away Shocked Very Happy ), roads in France dead......also hotel is quite nice, even though it's in the middle of a building site!! Hope the rest of the journey in the morning is as good Little Angel Little Angel
snow conditions
GrahamN, Etienne said he'd spoken to some guides who said that it was rather hard in the morning and to leave it 'au limite' for starting out with regular ~Vallons peeps. I doubt you can get much below P1, but there's been so much snow this year that I can't imagine it's hard to get there. Bumps will be big though. Ask Gorilla - he did the Derby (report on Swirly's snowboarding thread). Looks OK int he pic. Give me a bell - maybe we can manage a drink.

R32, See you tomorrow. Bon rest of the voyage.

Today actually started off fine and sunny, but it was quite windy at the top of the Toura. We stayed there and I worked my good kids unmercifully! wink The snow up there is fab first thing, just nice packed powder or corduroy. Very Happy Gours was OK, but not quite as nice as I hoped at around 11.00. Cretes late morning was perfect spring snow on a firm base, but running to a bit of mush at the bottom by late lunchtime. In the afternoon it was very wet and slow, but the top of the Thuit was very good also. Grande Pente was better than yesterday and the snow is melting down and transforming daily. The cloud came over and it snowed gently a fair bit of the afternoon. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Pic shows the humungeous avalanche on the whole wall of the Thuit (I suspect it was deliberately detonated). Quite impressive, and I have a primary school teacher and one 11 year old keenly taking photos and planning projects! Very Happy
snow report
Been a good week here so far. OK snow quality varies and Valentin was porridgey moguls at 4.30. Visibility has been very variable today after some strong sun earlier in the week. Raining in town now, I'm sheltering in Smokey Joes. Off to La Grave with easiski and about 8 others tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I think colin is being a bit unfair to say variable. The snow on the glacier, and at the Toura area is great! Glacier was packed (loosely) powder today and really silky. when skiing down I was a bit disappointed with Mura, but Moonland had fabulous snow (about 2 cms powder on a firm base), and I thought the snow was fine until we got below 2,600m. Don't forget that we have 1000m vertical above that. Shocked however it was already 15.30 when we went down. for sure, after a 2 week warm spell the lower snow is revolting in the late afternoon. I didn't bother to ski down though - took the eggs. Lots of work and need some legs for tomorrow. Very Happy

R32 arrived safely, and we'll see them tomorrow morning.

Pic shows why it's a good idea to ski off piste: Signal piste heaving - Echines virtually empty. Laughing Laughing
snow report
Got here at 4pm. Managed to log on using Mr R32's new Wi-Fi antenna but it's a bit slow as we forget to bring the usb extension Embarassed

Raining still, but looks like snow on the top La Muzelle.....not even going to attempt to load a photo, will be here all night!!
snow conditions
easiski, Your post wasn't there when I pressed submit....must be a really, really slow connection!!!

See you in the morning Very Happy
snow report
R32, have a great trip, we will manage to ski with you eventually.
ski holidays
easiski, ah but has Moonland still got a Butterfly-shaped dent in it?? Embarassed

Is Echines the offpiste bit to your right as you go down Signal after the Dome intersection?

Hope you all have fun tomorrow.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Thanks. Hope so, we'll be out for two weeks over Christmas/New Year so will definitely arrange something then!!

Butterfly, Will have a look out for it!!!
snow report
Pleased we always buy insurance with our lift passes!!

Miss R32's ride........

Sledge down to it was great fun too...

Miss R32 has a fractured tibia and ACL damage Sad Mr R32 will be skiing alone this week

View at lunctime......
ski holidays
R32, oh bug !!! Send her our love x
snow report
R32, Bad news, sorry to hear that Sad
We are out on Sunday
snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The lengths some people will go to in order to avoid the green run to the village
snow report
easiski, You're right fantastic snow higher up all week Embarassed just lower down that was slushy, not a surprise really in April. La Grave today so I didn't ski in LDA but I think it was sunny most of the day.

R32, sorry to hear that I was with easiski, when you texted her
latest report
ex.pat, much better than the chairlift down too!! Mr R32 was gutted he couldn't go in it and had to ski down Laughing
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, provenjohn, Colin B, Thanks guys snowHead
ski holidays
Well, poor Mrs R32 seems quite chirpy all things considered, but then she's pretty tough! (In the nicest way of course). It's a real shame though. R32 himself will be continuing his move into real skiing though! Laughing Laughing Like a dog with 2 tails with his new skis this morning.

La Grave was tiring, but the snow was pretty good. they'd had a bit of fresh up top (not much but about 10cms I think), and so the top part was good, then we went through a section that was a bit crispy, but OK, and then into the spring snow. Nice soft slush bumps - great stuff. All present did well to get down, although I'm afraid to say the kids rather shamed their parents. Shocked

Pic 1 is the LG glacier fromt he cafe with Snowskisnow, Natalie B and one of the others in the foreground. Pic 2 is looking back up from about half way down the wide open top part. The path through the trees to P1 was well dodgy, and James Snowskisnow and I did ski and walk out from there, but there wasn't much skiing. Sad The others went down from P1. we wern't the only people to go all the way down, but essentially P1 is as far as it's practical to get. Graham N phoned this morning to say 'have a nice trip' - very good to speak to you Graham - hope to see you, even briefly, over the weekend.
latest report
easiski, one day I might get there. Hoped to manage it this season, but it will have to wait for another year now.
latest report
R32, yuk. So sorry to see that.
latest report
R32, so sorry to hear of Mrs R32's injury - hope her recovery is as swift and straightforward as possible.
snow report
R32, ouch. here's hoping you have a quick and trouble free recovery Sad
snow report
loads of tourists coming over to La Grave today from LDA - got involved in a little predicament see http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/
ski holidays
Weathercam, Twits! I heard the heli too but couldn't see it - we were in the Vallons, so that explains it. One of the boys kept wandering off when we stopped for a picnic, and had to be sat upon rather firmly. I'll tell him about this. Laughing
latest report
Thanks everyone snowHead

Weather looks lovely today, mountain looks quiet, snow looks perfect, fantastic view from our balcony, just wish I was out there Crying or Very sad

I have magazines, Sky TV (Jeremy Kyle on now rolling eyes ), DVD's to keep me entertained and I've found the USB extension for the wi-fi antenna (Mr R32 had packed it somewhere safe!) so at least I have a faster internet connection now.......cheers whose ever it is Little Angel

Oh and this morning I noticed that my thumb is rather swollen and bruised too Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy