Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Bootfitting Methods really work and which are useless

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, That was a few pints of Guiness too many. I have no idea what you guys will be wearing in 2012, i will this time next year though. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I wager it's sock-boot integration.

Sell all your sock options now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have them the footbed goes under the boot liner doesn't it? The rest of this won't make sense if it doesn't, but I don't have footbeds so I don't know. So you have your nice footbed made that conforms to the underside of your foot, then you put your foot on it through a big thick boot liner and a sock Puzzled (OK, I know thin sock preferably). Maybe the next big thing in boots will as comprex, suggests be a footbed that is integrated into the base of the boot liner. a nice hard and shaped footbed in total flat contact with the base of the boot, maybe with a thin amount of flocking on the interior surface to make it comfortable to put your foot on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
If you have them the footbed goes under the boot liner doesn't it?

No.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
If you have them the footbed goes under the boot liner doesn't it?

No. Directly under the foot (and sock of your choice).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Bless you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, softy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, typed that quickly. I meant liners too, and that'd be an added bonus because Zipfeets seem like the ideal solution, but nowhere in Fernie carries them.

The problem is CEM is an 8 hour round trip away, and I don't have time to go more than once. Otherwise I'd of been already - ditto Cham if I had time. Other problem is, there're two fitters with good reps in Fernie - the custom everything option, who'd just do my footbeds since I don't have £800-£900 to spend on custom boots, and where I went last year who's cad cam solution (amfit) didn't help at all.

The "best of both worlds" that I can think of would get at least the footbeds made by Colin - I've spoken to him a fair bit in the last couple of months and I have full faith in him sorting me out - it's just that sorting things in resort means I can go see the same fitter straight off snow (which I assume SZK was alluding to).

Spyderman, PM me before you hit town, I'll try and sort you out a better price on lift tickets (assuming the ski school ever confirms my job Confused)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey now, please don't mis understand me.
I am a great fan of CEM and have seen the queues in smallzookeepers shop, but there must be lots of bootfitters out there who are equally good? .... or are we at snowheads just really lucky to have the two best in their field on one web forum?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, there are two very qualified fitters in town, but one does footbeds that don't suit my feet problems, and the other is a bit of a unique place.

Other thing is, first time I went to Lockwoods they did mention that I might need to see a podiatrist for footbeds...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, Yep, you're just really lucky. Laughing

DaveC, You are splitting hairs a little here. Colin can do the job, but can't accomidate any little tweaks that arise when working your feet and boots in the manner in which you will over a season. Unless you fly him out which will scare Colin to death as there might be some snow or even the odd mountain. You could go see the guy in resort, if you take Colin's work over there, he might try and undermine it, in which case he's a fool and has a reputation due to speaking loader than everyone else, perhaps. You start from scratch over there and let the guy do his job, if you aren't satisfied then you will get your cash back, albeit spent alot of time faffing for nothing. So the ideal solution is to do a season in Cham', speak to Seb and drink loads of beer. Humour aside you need to get this done in resort, you will be based there and need to see someone who knows what happens to feet and boots over the period of a season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, So they tell me wink Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, That's why I luv ya Very Happy

OK, then, well with my usual ineptitude well and truely engaged (and I wouldn't be me if it wasn't) if the thickness of the boot liner is in any way incorporated between the foot/sock and the base of the boot it must negate to some extent the degree to which even pressure on the footbed is transferred to the base of the boot itself.

From what I see the boot liners are somewhat thick and squishy and must be subject to some degree of uneven pressure if, for example, the skier has more weight on one side of his foot.

If all I've learned on here is correct the easier that the instructions from the foot can be communicated to the base of the boot and therefore through the ski the more responsive should be the ski. Yet we insist on putting a big thick squishy liner between our foot and the base of the boot, regardless of where any footbed might be in the equation.

Apart from possible insulation if your foot is on a footbed - which from seeing and feeling are often quite hard, its not as though the underside of your foot feels the comfort of the liner under it at all if it is below the footbed so what is the point of it still being there? So it would seem to me that there could be an argument for the footbed replacing the base of the liner, and it having a flat base to put it nicely in contact with the flat base of the boot shell.

There could be a method for fitting a fitted sole onto a liner that came with a missing base if a channel was incorporated into bottom edge of the liner and a fitted sole/footbed had a ridge around the edge that linked into it. Dragons den anyone?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,

the closer the fit of the boot inj all planes the better the pressure transmition to the ski..... the base of most liners is pretty thin, maybe 3-4 mm at most it is the sides of the liners that are squishy in some boots...more so in lower level recreational boots , the liners in some of the race boots have very little padding or squishyness at all

the best fit comes from a footbed to fill the voids under the foot and a shell which matches the shape of the foot as closely as possible.it won't be long before you will want that closer firmer fit to get more control Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC,
Quote:

Spyderman, PM me before you hit town, I'll try and sort you out a better price on lift tickets (assuming the ski school ever confirms my job

Thanks, will do. Very Happy
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
comprex, Mate, i honestly never understand anything you write, anything. Embarassed
I often don't understand either, at least on first reading, but much can be learned by Googling some of it. He is very erudite, if somewhat gnomic at times. Google doesn't help much with your posts, though! wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Google doesn't help much with your posts, though

You must be using the alcohol free version of Google then. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Dypcdiver, er, quite.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy