Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report Austria 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
in Serfaus-fiss now, absolutely puking. Did same last night and a good 6-9 inch pow day today. tomorrow looking promising indeed Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Ischgl now. 1 foot of snow in last 24 hours. Snowing lightly at the moment and appears to be clearing. Apart from Sunday its been snowy and cold all week with poor visibility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sitting here in my office on the SW side of Munich (just off the A96 Munich - Bregenz autobahn) watching the weather go through all 5 seasons! A few minutes ago it was an almost White-out with snow driving down from a BLUE sky! Now the sun is shining.

Very windy and changeable conditions at the moment but I'm hoping to ski on Friday or Saturday (alternative is to drive down to Rome and watch the Wales vs Italy game - but that's another thread now!

Sue Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, head to the rugby union thread in Apres Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, read it with monotonous regularity - but as a mere female would not dare to comment - plus I'm another Leek-Eater Shocked

Definitely not a Rose fan! If the Welsh can't make it this year then I'm backing France (Dad was French!)

Do you think I'd be welcome under these circumstances??? Puzzled

Sue wink

BTW still swinging through the seasons here - snowing heavily 5 minutes ago, now we are in summer again - worse than Scotland for weather changes today!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looking at the web-cams for the Salzburger Sportwelt (Ski Amade) and it is obviously still dumping massively !!!!! I was there at half-term with my school party and the snow was immense. My family and I are going back over Easter (6th til 14th April). Obviously we were initially a little concerned about potential snow conditions. Looks like we needn't be worrying at all now snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
burkeyblue, Skied there every Easter for the last 15 years or longer - always had superb snow, except for once but it did then dump like there was no end in the middle of the week. I always stay in the Berghof right opposite the Gondola in Alpendorf/St Johann.

I'm looking to maybe wander across for a days skiing on Fri/Sat/ - depending on the weather of course! Otherwise sat with a beer in front of the TV watching either S4C or BBC coverage of the 6-Nations.
That's the trouble living in the Alps - you become a "fair weather" skier rolling eyes

Sue wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, you would be very welcome as a leak muncher wink , and the thread was set up by Hayls - our resident female expert - and she talks more sense than most of us, well the rest of the Rose munchers anyway Very Happy

Glad there is some white stuff falling from the sky where you are !! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wonderful powder day at Serfaus-Fiss. Took a while to open up high as there was up to 1m of new. But even mid mountain there light fluffy thigh deep everywhere. Top gondola's weren't open for too long due to wind, and it keeps dumping inbetween sunny breaks. So should be plenty left for tomorrow, especially if it keeps snowing. 'Twas a fine powder day indeed. I really liek this place Smile

beer-o-clock ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Radstadt calling snowHead woke yesterday to 20cm on top of bashed piste, today woke to another 30 cm and another 15 or so fell during today. A bit heavy below 1100m but we skied 2 runs all day above that level. The mountain was very quiet yet the snow wonderfully light. The trees plus my superb new Uvex goggles meant viz was usually ok. The 1st hour today was my best ever time on skis. I also relaxed in my skiing today and it just flowed. The area was so good we couldnt bring ourselves to go elsewhere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, mate, there's some epic skiing in Austria, as I am discovering to my delight. Western Austria is higher and gets more snow by all accounts. I'd keep exploring. I wiull anyway Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, do not rub or even touch the inside of your new goggles, and enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Endless powder in and around schladming for last 5 days and awoke to another 20cms this morning. Been skiing powder at Haus, Schladming, Zauchansee since Sunday. Set to continue snowing for next couple of days then warming up at weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Off to Bad Gastein on Sat so i will fill you all in when i get back, from reports of a freind who has just come back he said the snow was great but it melted very quick when the sun did come out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nibbley-uk, Temperatures are due to rise over the weekend and then go down again. Seems to be normal March skiing with the added bonus of lots of fresh powder at heights above 1000m We have had yet another dump overnight and it is still snowing and lying here at a mere 800m.

Spring skiing has always been about getting up early and enjoying the fresh powder then finish earlier and enjoy the facilities in the resort. The Thermal Springs (Felsentherm) and the other one down in Bad Hofgastein are well worth visiting on a regular basis. I stop skiing when the snow gets too heavy to be fun. In March and April that can mean around 3:00pm but then I've usually been on the slopes non-stop since 08:30 anyway. If I'm lucky I can also keep going until it is dark by going high when the lifts start closing and coming down with the pisteurs Madeye-Smiley Now that is fun!

If you see any flowers on the ground it means the lowest levels are no longer frozen so yes new snow will melt when the sun comes out. But flowers on the piste are another thing Twisted Evil

Sue wink
snow conditions
you should do west Austria, we saw no spring conditions last weekend. Bregenzerwald was in full winter even at 1500m
ski holidays
I had a report that Nigelb was boarding Sallbach yesterday - off piste and in the trees in knee to thigh deep powder Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, That's good news. I shall be there in 9 days time.
latest report
stevev wrote:
you should do west Austria, we saw no spring conditions last weekend. Bregenzerwald was in full winter even at 1500m

agreed - I was still skiing knee deep cold smoke at 4pm today under the Waldbahn at Fiss - a wonderful day of powder, superb soft groomers and a mega-dump that started at 2pm and is still coming down at a helluva rate. I can feel more pow on the menu for tomorrow. This is a truly great week of skiing, by ant standards.
snow conditions
Any one got any info on kitzbuhel? I fly out on saturday morning, forecasts are looking pretty decent higher up but can't get much info on how the pistes are Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, too late Embarassed
Skied Schladming and the excellent Haus today. Quite stunning snow that even at 4pm was crisp and fresh above 1100m.
The famous slalolm black run down into town was a ball breaking, last run of the day, slush fest for 5 old men who are just loving these stunning. Voltarol being popped like smarties.
snow report
stevev, No spring conditions here in Tirol in the mountains but in the valleys things are starting to change. We have a servere weather warning for tonight and tomorrow - it is snowing outside now and messing up my satellite signal. It had better be clear on Saturday - I'm going to ski in the morning and watch THE Rugby match in the afternoon even if I have to watch it on S4C Shocked (Italy vs Wales for those poor souls thinking I might be interested in the other side shows! Razz )

Our long range weather forecast is currently unsettled - cool and wet (ie snow in the mountains) until the middle of next week then a settled spell until the end of the following week. no excessively high temperatures so the week beginning 21st March is looking particularly good. So I'm booking it off and will ski every day somewhere nearby.

A local farmer's weather lore has yet to poke it's head up - no snowdrops or crocuses peeking through any where in our neck of the Alps!

Sue wink
snow report
Looks like Austria, particularly in the west, could get 50 - 200cm of freshies over the next 2 to 7 days.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Hey don't mention Haus! Wagrain today - 6th powder day in a row this trip! Last trip out here 3 weeks ago was 4 out fo 4 powder days. Fantastic knee+ deep powder. Had to watch out for tree wells and drifts in the woods. Dumping it down again tonight in schladming, forecast says snow / rain limit set to rise to 1000m, but should still mean lots of more bloody powder higher up. My legs need a day off but when there's fresh powder out there what can you do?
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Best report I've seen for ages. I'm going to Saalbach on 21st so looking for some decent conditions. Will also be trying to see the game, even if I need to have it recorded 'cos I won't be there early enough.
snow report
Cymru am Byth, Samerberg Sue, the satellite was down in Bobby's Pub in Sallbach when I was there and the only way they could get the France v Wales game was ........... on S4C Very Happy not that i could understand any of it though wink
latest report
rayscoops, Got my own set-up here at home at 800m asl!

The problem is that those dastardly TV broadcaster types have focussed the signal beam funnily enough on a smallish island just off the coast of northern France! Especially those pukka types with the BB in their name. However it does mean we do not have to listen to Brian Moore foaming at the mouth or Austin Healey trying to convince us that he might just possibly know what the he!! he's talking about. The S4C signal has a wider beam and is not so easily effected by atmospheric conditions. I only lost that one this year when the satellite dish was buried by the snow! Then we had to get out on the roof and clear off a wee bit as there were funny creaking noises coming from the rafters Shocked

Sorry to tell you that those of you landing in Munich, it will be a bit green and warm tomorrow. It has rained all day on and off at lower levels but heavy snow at 1000m+ Tomorrow is being forecast as the first day where we can sit outside and enjoy the street cafés and beer gardens. I'm going skiing and will soak up the sun on the terrace of my favourite hut in Alpendorf eating Käs'nocken and drinking a long cold glass of milk! If my knees are aching I could be there most of the day with iPod and book as well NehNeh

Sue wink
snow conditions
dumped like mad in Serfaus-Fiss last night, but warmed up and wind came in, so you had to be able to break a 1-2 inch crust to ride the knee deep 'stuff'. It was doable, but hard work. Groomers up high were great though, and low down the slushy bumps were fun too. A fine day skiing really ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just got back from zell am see
yesterday was raining all day at base but had alot of snow higher up
snow was wet and heavy so any powder made you stop
ski holidays
Had some great, slightly heavy powder, yesterday at Zauchansee, was dumping most the day, rain below 1000m. Cleared overnight, so cooled off a little, clear sunny day today, got out early at Schladming, the powder was surprisingly sublime, fresh tracks the whole morning absolute fab, so many great hidden powder stashes the hordes of wannabe ski racers just steer clear of. Perfect! Some more snow forecast for tomorrow, could it be 8 straight powder days? 7 straight powder days is already a record for me Very Happy

Zauchansee

Wagrain
snow report
Skied in Zauchensee today, by lunchtime most of the runs were heavy mogully knee-jerkers, quite busy too with temps of plus 6 at the top. Morning was a dream though, get up early, its worth it!
snow conditions
Ischgl was busy too, but they soon spread out. Lots of deep snow formed into mogully pistes. It was noticeably warmer than last time we were there in deepest winter
latest report
Today has been a tad wet, snow / rain limit around 1300m. Powder of yesterday gone all crusty. First non-powder day in over a week. Forecast for some colder weather again from mid week onwards. A couple of photos from yesterday at schladming

snow report
Just back from Saalbach/Hinterglemm, snowed all week, some lifts closed due to high winds and to give piste bashers time to deal with heavy overnight/a.m. falls. We could hear blasting going on which I assume was to prevent avalanches. Temp started to rise the morning we left, (14th March) with sleet at village level, snow higher up. Overall, fantastic conditions for March, and to think we were worried that we had booked too late in the season...never seen so much snow! Very Happy
snow report
waynos, We skied Zauchensee on Friday. Awesome snow, bur bloody hard work on the body. Very quiet, not many nutters prepared to brave it once the pistes got lumpy. How did you see where you were going off piste, very dense for most of the day.
snow report
Hayls wrote:
We returned from a good trip on Saturday. We skiied over to Westendorf and it took us about 1.45 to get to Brixen. Lots of nice new gondolas compared to my previous visits to Soll 7 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. I've just returned from a good week in Les Deux Alpes.

They have indeed invested considerable amounts in the SkiWelt in the last few years, which makes it much easier to get around.
snow report
Got back from Soll on Saturday.
Knee deep powder on - yes on! - piste.
Epic conditions.
Sun on Monday but otherwise snow all week in resort too.
Was getting a bit wet at resort level on Friday as temps rose slightly but more snow than I have ever seen up top.
Actually conditions were a little tough - blizzards and white outs and reports of avalanche risk on piste in one place on friday.
Very envious of anyone going out there now.
Pilg.

PS: Apres was a bit quieter (although not for me!! Twisted Evil ) than last year.
snow report
Pilgrimage, Sounds like you had a blast, brings back memories, only another 11 months to go Sad
ski holidays
Zobo - It was awesome.
Just logged on to Skiline to check my (rather modest) mileage over the week, which makes interesting viewing.
Can't wait till next year, but will probably try a different resort.

PS: (and I will post in resort section too) We were distinctly unimpressed with the Lodge Mounty "hotel" run by the Neilson reps in Soll.
Will not be going back or recommending at all. Sad
snow report
Pilgrimage, Thanks for that report.

I arrive in Ellmau on Saturday, can hardly wait!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy