Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report Austria 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully next week will just be a quick blip and then back to more snow. snowHead Just got to hope the rain doesn't doo too much damage. Predicted to be light at the moment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied in Kitzbühel this afternoon, not on the Hahnenkamm but over the other side of the valley, on the Kitzbüheler Horn. The Horn is a pretty restricted area, with only a few lifts, mostly old and slow. There is a flattish bowl which is good for beginners (when not too busy). Since the Horn is on my season ticket, I like to ski there now and again and today I was able to ski right back down to the valley (which isn't always the case). Some of the pistes were relatively hard, though not icy, but in general they were all right. Few skiers around. The main problem was the weather, which was poor. When I arrived about noon, the peak was already clagged in and it was snowing a bit. And it got worse as the afternoon progressed, so that by about half past three the lifts were closing as the wind became stronger. Didn't have any success off-piste, which was rutted and heavy where I tried it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied Wagrain this morning, snowing heavily and was surprised just how many people were out on the slopes.Bobbed over into Flachau for drink and at 11.30 it was BUSY!We then tried 2 other huts but they were packed, I havent seen it like that for ages, could have been just the wet weather but if you are in large groups finding somewhere together for lunch could be tricky unless you go early, or do what we do and send someone early each day to hog a table! I found the snow quite heavy today although theres loads of it falling,its not the powdery snow anymore.Weather forecast this week end is very warm temps, up to plus 10 on Sunday Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
It's starting to warm up, I'd advise any late bookers to go high. Looks like low resorts will see some rain next week. Crying or Very sad

Kaiserau / Admont, Austria now has a base of 7m Shocked

http://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC

Can't recall deeper coverage than that, even in St Anton. Amazing.
With temperatures rising, the avalanche risk is going to go stratospheric, isn't it?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith,

On the north side of the Austrian Alps it is currently between 3+ and 4+, but is expected to go up to 5 at the weekend.

It was snowing here at 700m and higher practically all of today again. But this time it was very wet snow, so we now have a layer of wet snow, with drifting on top of dry powder from earlier in the week. The forecast is mixed for Saturday but for Sunday they are predicting temperatures with double figures, hence the almost certain raising of the Risk Level.

A young friend of mine has lost her father this week because he set off an avalanche on the Wendlestein last week. He was the chairman of our local Ski Club and a former German A Cadre Racer. He was also a member of the local Mountain Rescue Group and a very experienced touring skier. He made a mistake that he has paid for with his life. He grew up in these mountains and was taking a calculated risk based on a vast store of local knowledge. The others in the group with him are lucky that he did not take any of them with him. It is very sad for the whole of our village.

Moral here - even experienced locals can make mistakes, so visitors from other countries should take notice and not be so cavalier in their risking of other peoples lives. . The death toll for this season is too great already.

There is nothing "hardcore" or clever about skiing powder in clearly indicated dangerous conditions, it is just plain selfish and dangerous. STAY ON THE CONTROLLED PISTES when the warning lights are on and sections are closed.

Sorry, but I have to attend a funeral tomorrow, I would hate to see more people have to do the same.

Sue
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, I am very sorry to hear that, you are so right when you say even the locals can make mistakes, I think sometimes people really do underestimate the force of nature, and everyone should heed these warnings.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, that is very tough news. And somehow I feel it more because it seems so close to home.

The conclusions you draw are very true. Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that, when this accident occurred, the warning level was "only" 3. That shouldn't delude anyone into thinking that there is little danger just because there are two higher levels. Level 3 is already critical and avalanches can be started by only slight extra loading or even start spontaneously.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue,

Sorry to hear about your friends father. We are experiencing conditions that don't happen very often (i.e. major dumps of snow followed by a warm wind) and as you say there's the potential for anyone to get caught out. Heard on the radio that various avalanches came down onto Austrian roads this weekend (Sölden, Planneralm & Leoben) a couple of cars were hit in one incident, a railway line was damaged / blocked by another. An avalanche came down onto a piste at Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun and various other offpiste avys occurred. A climber was hit by an avy and killed in Tirol.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
DB wrote:
It's starting to warm up, I'd advise any late bookers to go high. Looks like low resorts will see some rain next week. Crying or Very sad

Kaiserau / Admont, Austria now has a base of 7m Shocked

http://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC

Can't recall deeper coverage than that, even in St Anton. Amazing.
With temperatures rising, the avalanche risk is going to go stratospheric, isn't it?

Yes see the above post, the avy risk has been 5 in some areas and a small number of people were even evacuated.

I remember Tauplitz being 5.5m back in 2006 I think. Ironically the place where they now have 7m of snow is where I bottomed out in low snow conditions and did my knee in a few weeks ago. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just back from Zell am See late last night. The avy risk has been at 4 since Wednesday when i checked on the local ski channel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Amade is at level 4 at the mo...

checkout www.lawine.at if you want the current risks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a great day in the SkiWelt, with fantastic, sunny weather. Warm too. I started, as usual, in Going. But I felt I should check out the timing that I had suggested earlier in this thread for skiing from Scheffau to Brixen and back, in case I had written rubbish (or "a Schmarr'n", as they might say here). So, after skiing over to the Brandstadl above Scheffau, I did the circuit. To prove I reached Scheffau, here is their giant snowman:

The whole circuit took me 1 hr 35 mins, skiing moderately fast with occasional photo stops. Although the slopes seemed busy when I started out, there wasn't any real queuing. And as proof that I reached the Brixen valley, here's a photo of the bridge over to the new lift up to Westendorf. I didn't go over, though.

The only correction to what I wrote before was that I had named wrongly the hill where the top stations of the Muldenbahn and Aualm (and Jochbahn) lifts are. It isn't the Zinsberg (which is one hill further on, the map confused me). I have assumed now that it is the Auberg, though I haven't been able to confirm that (doesn't really matter, for it isn't named on the piste plan anyhow; I have edited the original post).

Snow was hard where the sun hadn't got to it but was pretty soft on the south-facing slopes. Pleasant to ski on, though, and I spent the rest of my day skiing down into the Brixental. After the first circuit, I decided to go down the Tanzerabfahrt ("Dancer piste"). This is a blue run which I had never skied before, an alternative route down to Brixen. It isn't open all that often, probably because it breaks up pretty quickly in the sun, like many of the Brixental runs. There were already occasional bare patches to be avoided today but it was an enjoyable easy descent. The only problem with the run is that it finishes up a long way from the gondola, right at the east end of Brixen village, and you have to take a bus back to the lift.

According to the sign above, at the start of the run on (my) Auberg (the lift in the background is the Muldenbahn), there is a regular bus service from the bottom of the piste to the gondola. However, the schedule seemed only to be about every forty minutes, which I would hardly call regular (well, certainly not frequent), so I would hardly recommend this route down to Brixen unless you had checked the schedule in advance. I was lucky and only had to wait 10-15 mins.

Having got into the mood for skiing down to Brixen, I thought I would do it one more time, this time down the third piste down to the valley - so that I can claim to have skied Les Trois Vallées - Brixen-style Laughing This piste, the Kaslachabfahrt, starts from the top of the Kälbersalve lift, which runs from Hochbrixen. It is classed as a black run and does have some steeper sections. But with snow conditions like today it wasn't difficult at all and was certainly the most interesting of the three marked pistes down to Brixen (only slight disadvantage is about 400 metres skating and herringboning on the flat at the bottom).

With a little time in hand, I stopped for refreshments at the Jausenstation Oberkaslach (Jausenstation translated literally would probably be snack-bar but in practice it is just an alternative word for mountain hut). I would recommend that; it has fine views over to Westendorf, seemed mostly frequented by locals, had very reasonable prices (€3,50 for a ham-cheese toast), and even sells postcards (which puts it up in my estimation).

Strengthened, I started working my way back to Going, past Scheffau and Ellmau. All in all a very enjoyable day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri, nice little report, beautiful pics too, I had a nice holiday in Going and SkiWelt 3 years ago, it's a really pretty area with the Wilder Kaiser as a backdrop. Good to see snow is holding up in the milder weather! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri, Having skied there just now, you will hopefully know this.

Is there a lift ticket office at the base of the Astberg chair, and if so, do they take visa? (I expect to arrive in resort in time for a couple of hours skiing, but want to know if I need to get cash at the airport for the lift ticket).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
Is there a lift ticket office at the base of the Astberg chair, and if so, do they take visa?

There is a ticket office at the Astberg lift. I expect they take visa (most do nowadays) but I couldn't guarantee that. Enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
espri, Thanks.

Nice report, BTW. The pics have me drooling Smile

19 days until I arrive!
latest report
The forecast is looking good for Serfaus for next week! Temp dropping, nice dump of snow Wed/Thurs this week and maybe again on Sunday/Monday snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Accuweather doesn't look too great for Soll for the week commencing 7th (ie this Sat).
Presumably this "rainy" stuff they are talking about is at resort level and it'll be powdery stuff up higher... - yes? ... please...
ski holidays
Pilgrimage wrote:
Accuweather doesn't look too great for Soll for the week commencing 7th (ie this Sat).
Presumably this "rainy" stuff they are talking about is at resort level and it'll be powdery stuff up higher... - yes? ... please...

That's what snow-forecast.com is saying

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/6day/mid
snow conditions
hopefully should be ok for me on the 7th at zell am see
anybody know what the area is like?
any decnt tree runs / off piste?
latest report
hopefully should be ok for me then on the 7th at zell am see
anybody know of where to go for decent off piste / tree runs over there?
snow report
i had a fantastic week boarding in zell last week. not an off piester so cant comment.

got myself engaged half way up the mountain too which was nice. youll have a great time there
snow report
Skied at Innsbruck yesterday. The bottom of the valley is green but the ski areas on the south side have snow right to the bottom. How long that wiil last with the warm weather I don#t know. Axalem closed early due to high winds. Spring skiing for sure but beautiful. Rain in the town today and tomoorrow is not good either. The higher resorts I would think will be fantastic when it clears up and the lower ones should still be good unless they ice up.
snow report
Raining in Zell am See as I left an hour ago but snowing lightly up the valley in Hinterglemm, excellent base and it has snowed most days over the last week. Pistes quite choppy and spring like by early afternoon, which is how my board likes it Wink
ski holidays
I go to Soll tomorrow!!! Smile
Can't wait - will post conditions when I get back.
If anyone else is in the Lodge Mounty do say Hi!
snow conditions
Pilgrimage, Have a fab time, not jealous......really Sad
ski holidays
Zobo - thanks.
Will have a Jaegermeister for all you fellow snowheads!! Wink
Toofy Grin
snow report
rayscoops, i didnt wanna hear that Sad
im off there in a few hours
what was saalbach like?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those of you about to launch into Austria - it's snowing now! I'm only at 800m and we already have a new layer completely covering the road. Not nice snow - what we call Graupel - so kind of corn like. Snowed on and off all day higher up though.

Forecast is for snow tonight and tomorrow with it picking up for better weather on Sunday! I'm off to St Johann/Alpendorf I think! If the service on the car is finished and not too OTT

Sue
wink on the German /Austrian border!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Thanks for that I'm off to Mayrhofen tomorrow Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
nigel b wrote:
rayscoops, i didnt wanna hear that Sad
im off there in a few hours
what was saalbach like?

Sallbach was good and boarder friendly, Hinterglemm was good too. Both a 40 Euro taxi ride up the valley from Zell. Zell had half a meter of snow on all the roofs so the pistes should be good Wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, nice update. Good to hear it's snowing around Ski Amade!
snow conditions
Anyone out in Hochgurgl? Like to know what its like.
ski holidays
Blue sky at Innsbruck airport as I wait for my flight home Wink
snow report
It snowed pretty much non-stop from when I arrived Wed night to Sat afternoon when I left the Arlberg region, snow heaviest in upper Klostertal, Stuben, Zurs and St Christoph. Only got to see the sun yesterday evening as we approached Bregenz on the way back to Friedrichshafen airport. Never seen so much snow piled up before.
ski holidays
Saturday was cloudy in Bregenzerwald, I want nordic skiing instead.

Sunday was completely different. We went to Laax (yeah I know it is switzerland). The whole area looked to be bathed in sunshine, a perfect ski day.

There is so much snow around, it's great. Ischgl next weekend
snow report
Looks like I have been beaten to it by much more efficient snow posters, but we were in Schladming last week (Sat-Sat) and had a range of conditions. First two days were beautiful sunshine and excellent snow, although not fresh falls. By days 2-5 it was getting a bit slushy due to mild temps of around 4 or 5 degrees lower down, but new snow flurries kept the upper slopes in godo nick. Then days 6 & 7 saw lots of fresh snow higher up and a bit of drizzle in the valley. The snow line was only just above town (around 750m), so there wasn't a lot of slushy stuff, just the very bottom drops on all the runs, above that conditions were excellent.

Didn't make it to any of the other Amade resorts this time around, but it looks like others have done!

Another great week for our group.

D
ski holidays
espri, thanks for your help. We returned from a good trip on Saturday. We skiied over to Westendorf and it took us about 1.45 to get to Brixen. Lots of nice new gondolas compared to my previous visits to Soll 7 years ago.

Despite some warm weather earlier in the week, the pistes held up well and there was some fresh snow later in the week which topped it all up nicely. Pretty much all the runs were open across the Ski Welt.
snow report
Hinterglemm Last week, some piccies

snow conditions
Fecking mint Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy