Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report Austria 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Sleipnir, try this link for weather and snow reports www.bergfex obertauern.at it may help! Yes there is tonnes and tonnes of the white stuff but the Austrians really are amazing at clearing the roads, and they are out all hours bashing the pistes, after the mega dump we had on Monday night the pistes were as smooth as a babys bottom on Tuesday morning when we skied and Maria Alm! Dont worry it´ll be fantastc Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oops forgot to say www.bergfex.com sorry Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As far as I know all around ski amade has been open for skiing. Obertauern is above the tree line and quite exposed so probably more wind, higher avalanche exposure (to the runs not the town) and def bad vis when it's not sunny. Get a salzburg superpass and it covers ski amade, plenty of resorts within 30mins of obertauern.

Just arrived in schladming. Snowing quite heavy, made for an interesting drive from Salzburg! Ploughs were out but plenty of snow on roads still, worse problem was lack of vis, a few times I had no idea where the lanes were or where I was for that matter. And the VW Polo felt pretty slippy, give me my heavy vw transporter any day for these conditions.

I'm expecting a rather good days skiing tomorrow Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied today in Fieberbrunn. It snowed lightly for most of the day but visibility wasn't too bad. Quite cold at times.

There has been a good fall of new snow in the last week or so (and more still coming). This photo, taken on the track that leads down from the Gatterl button tow, gives some idea of the depths.

No, I didn't fall off the tow (the track also serves as the escape route). I had thought that I would try a little bit off the piste but here the snow was so deep and heavy that I just sank in to my knees and came to a grinding halt.

There were surprisingly few people around for high season. Certainly, there were none of the "horrendous queues" I mentioned in another thread. Maybe the weather had put some off. In the afternoon I went over to the Reckmoos Süd gondola area and there was virtually no-one there. I had the piste to myself at times.

The Hochhörndl chairlift wasn't running, possibly because of high winds up the top or avalanche risk. However, further down on the Reckmoos Süd the snow was great and there was no wind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied at Flachau Winkl (ski amade) today. Pow-tastic! Between 20-30cms of dry powder, snowing moderate all day, set to snow hard again tonight. Up to 100cm forecast at higher altitudes between now and Tuesaday. Get a few pics uploaded later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied today on the Steinplatte/Waidring but started out from the German side, Reit im Winkl/Seegatterl. This was basically a nostalgia trip, for I thought it could be one of the last chances I might have of taking the bus up from Seegatterl to the Winklmoosalm - a gondola is planned to replace the bus by next winter.

Conditions were great, loads of new snow. It is the first time for a while that I can remember skiing on soft snow, even soft moguls. Most challenging runs on the Schwarzlofer and Nordhang. Weather was pretty dull all day and it snowed lightly later on. Maybe the weather forecast had frightened people away, for there were no queues on what I had expected to be one of the busiest weekends of the season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Weather was pretty dull all day and it snowed lightly later on. Maybe the weather forecast had frightened people away,

I just love it when that happens (and it does a lot round these parts!) Ski Amade seems to attract fine weather skiers leaving empty pistes and clear lifts.... oh and loads of pow!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Soll - fantastic week - dumped on arrival, all day and night Tuesday and was globbing down again on Sat morning. Cold and sunny when not snowing. Very impressed with Soll (and Austria) after last 5 years hols high in France - did not suffer from half termitis at all. Would love to go back soon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very excited about Schladming on Saturday, looks like we've timed it about right!

D
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just come back from Ski Amade, and the weather scared most people away for the whole week, except 2 days when the sun was shining.
The snow was excelent, and the pistes are prepared day and night by the employees of ski amade.
The last 2 days the powder was waist high when venturing beside the piste, which was pretty fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to all that have reassured me that sking in the Salzburg region (Obertauern) next week will be fine. I've been keeping one eye on the weather forecast for the region and it looks like there will be a break in the heavy snow and high(er) recent winds towards the end of this week, even some sunshine is on the horizon

As Deliaskis, says, we have have timed it just about right......fingers crossed!! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sleipnir,

"B99 zwischen Tweng und Obertauern gesperrt". Translation = B99 between Twend and Obertauern closed.

http://salzburg.orf.at/stories/98486/

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Just as well you will not approach Obertauern from Tweng but from Radstadt Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the info DB,

Quote:

Just as well you will not approach Obertauern from Tweng but from Radstadt

You are correct, we will be driving from Salzburg to Obertauern. Plus my Austrian buddie is acting as a bus service for me, so I'll just be in the back asking "Are we there yet?" like an excited little kid Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleipnir,

If you are here for a bit then I would paying a bit extra for the Salzburger super card....

If this snow stays (I have to frighteningly say that I am sick of the puking now!) then visibility will be poor in obertauern so it may be to your advantage to get the bigger card and go 'down' to Ski Amade.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am heading to Saalbach on Saturday, any one with some first hand info on conditions? ........ like do I need to take my Ride Yukon 164 wide board ? Very Happy
snow report
There are some amazing recent pics from Zauchensee (Ski amade) here:
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30390

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30272
ski holidays
Another day of powder. More fresh last night but still plenty of from day before. Skied planai and hochwurzen (schladming, ski amade) . Snow depths from knee to waist deep. Snowing on and off this morning but from just after midday has been puking down. Estimate another 10cm - 15cm by 16:00 up higher. Marcus - I should have some more pow photos from Zauchensee tomorrow - that's where i'm going and given the way it's snowing right now it should be good.

planai powder

It's deep

snow conditions
Bah, why bother posting pics from Alpinforum.com when we have our own resident snowheads taking such awesome pictures snowHead

waynos, Thanks very much! Conditions look truly epic right now, I seriously envy all those southern Germans and Austrians that can just go skiing at the weekend when they please...
snow report
Great pictures - great conditions!! snowHead snowHead
snow report
waynos, cracking shots. See you in a couple of weeks!
ski holidays
waynos, Great pics!
rayscoops, have a good time
snow report
I doubt many of you here have heard of the Tauplitzalm.

But seriously, if you care for skiing at all, check out these pics. They're insane Shocked

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30413
ski holidays
Tommorow is supposed to be heavier snow , then I have been told by all my neighbours that by Thursday it will stop snowing and it will be a clear day. High up, it can get windy, but then that happens even if there is not so much snow around. Razz Razz
snow report
Been snowing hard & non-stop all night and still is! Got to be 20-30cms on my car. Going to be a deeeeep day.
latest report
waynos, hey fab photos again!

My state of giddiness about my forthcoming trip has reached epic proportions. I am almost incapable of sitting still now.

Have a great day out there.

D
snow report
Hills/resorts local to Vienna have been pounded in the last few days Hochkar is posting a snow depth of almost 5m.

http://www.hochkar.com/index.php?id=129&L=1

Tauplitz and Loser saw another 60cm fresh. Kaprun has over 4m so spring skiing should be fantastic (when my knee is better).

It is forecast to become a little warmer just hope the low resorts don't suffer any rain.

Fill yur boots up!
snow report
W00T Very Happy
ski holidays
Off to Scheffau on Saturday. Looking very very good. I just hope we can get there from the airport!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hayls,
Off to Ellamu saturday.............hoping for no rain
snow report
Hayls, Mitchell, Make sure you put up trip reports when you get back. I'm off to Ellmau three weeks after you

Don't use up all the snow Smile
snow conditions
alex_heney, Returned on Sunday from a week in Ellmau. Last Tuesday we had a massive dump of snow - must have been close on 75 cms. The conditions throughout the Ski Welt are absolutely stunning as we speak. There are 2 new gondolas in operation one from Brixen an the other from Westendorf both to Choralpe -1800 metres with a brand new red piste back to Brixen. There are several other improvements with new chairlifts since I was last there 4 years ago.

If you want to do the trip from Ellmau to the furthest points of Westendorf start no later than 09:00 from the top of the Hartkaiserbahn otherwise you might have to get a taxi back to Ellmau from Brixen. This happened to us and the cost based on 7 persons in a taxi was 9.00 euros each which I thought was pretty fair.

As an aside the Ski Welt piste map is still pretty awful but better better than in previous years. This year the map shows the position of all the eating places and "huttes" on the map which is great. Have a great trip Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
DAVID SNELL, thanks for the info. We will probably stay closer to home as my daughter will be in the creche for half days. Any idea how long it would take to ski from Scheffau to Brixen and back? We can shift fairly quickly if necessary. It's been a few years since I skied this area and we were based in Soll.
latest report
What a day. Didn't think i'd ever say "too much powder" but I almost did. Zauchansee, a face shot kinda day. Snowing hard all day, endless between the tree powder skiing. Plenty of wipe outs, plenty of time getting stuck just trying to move down, so deep.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 25-02-09 9:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hayls wrote:
Off to Scheffau on Saturday. Looking very very good. I just hope we can get there from the airport!

No trouble on the Salzburg autobahn today - the main problem is likely to be the traffic.
ski holidays
Hayls wrote:
Any idea how long it would take to ski from Scheffau to Brixen and back? We can shift fairly quickly if necessary.

Moving fairly quickly, Scheffau to Brixen shouldn't take too long, for they are adjacent to each other.

From Scheffau take the Brandstadl gondola (61+62), then the Eiberg chairlift (67 or 68 ), followed by either the Muldenbahn (70) or Aualm lift (71) to get you onto the Auberg. From there you can ski down to Brixen (the piste plan is confusing here, for the piste down alongside the Jochbahn lift (6) does link to the piste -Nieding Abfahrt- from the bottom of the Jochbahn right down to the gondola in Brixen).

Coming back you take the Hochbrixen gondola (1). From Hochbrixen there are various options, the quickest way is probably the Zinsberg lift (3), followed by the Jochbahn (6), then down the track to the Osthang lift (64), which brings you back up to the Brandstadl, from where you can ski back into Scheffau. Hope I got that all right Madeye-Smiley

I think it should be possible to do that in two hours (presuming no great queues), maybe better allow three first time. If you try, let us know how it goes Smile

EDIT: The Muldenbahn and Aualm lifts do not go up the Zinsberg, as I had wrongly written (it's one hill further on). I think the hill is probably called the Auberg but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 1-03-09 22:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
espri, many thanks. 3 hours is perfect timing - drop my daughter off, ski to Brixen and back just in time to pick her up!
ski holidays
The sun is out!!

Blue sky + very deep powder... if only I could get out today rather than chage loads of beds!
latest report
Hayls, I agree entirely with Espri who clearly has an intimate knowledge of the pistes. If you are looking for a lunch or coffee stop try the Leitenhof (no. 95 on the ski map). This hostelry is located on the left hand side of the piste just before one arrives at the Brixen gondola. It is south facing and has lovely views across to Westendorf. Last ime I ate there I had a delicious Tiroler Grostl (the link http://austrianfood.buyorderonlineshopping.com/?Tiroler_Grostl ). This web site says everything!! Laughing

While we are talking about "watering holes" you must take in the "Rubezahlalm (no. 58 on the ski map) on the way down to Ellmau from the Hartkaiser - very atmospheric. Had a huge plate of spare ribs there last week - absolutely fantastic! Very Happy

Enjoy!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
It's starting to warm up, I'd advise any late bookers to go high. Looks like low resorts will see some rain next week. Crying or Very sad

Kaiserau / Admont, Austria now has a base of 7m Shocked

http://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow report
DB, According to AccuWeather.com it's getting colder from the 9th March and more snow! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy