Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help to understand skis

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, Those Liberty Hazmets I tested seemed to be ok for stiffness... although I wasn't exactly thrashing them on the piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, My last parks skis were a 175 with a small twin (Dynastar TM's) and my current piste skis-courtesy of spyderjon-are 174's.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv - what are your current piste skis???
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, ah the owner of the super front 2s. Very nice. The only pair in the UK i might add.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv you're lucky. He managed to palm a crappy pair of Vists onto some poor sod.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, I'm sure I read somewhere that it was the other way around, but having checked the spec's the Wall does look closest to the old Karmas, but the Bridge still looks interesting .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, wink Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grazygeorges, Just found these, reduced:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/700516||@cSkis@bVolkl|0|user|1,0,0,1|1|
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yeah just seen them myself, very good price too, not sure what to do decisions decisions, not sure if they will be to floppy though
snow report
 brian
brian
Bridges and Walls both on Sport Conrad for €250.

They also have PEs and Fujatives for €200.

wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
grazygeorges, Vist Superfront Twos. Purely bought on review-bit daft but the money had a time limit. Mosha Marc Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grazygeorges, ah thats why testing is good. Call ellis brighams. They may have an old demo pair you can try before you buy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1, Any truth in Technica wanting to buy Vist? Sorry for thread hijack.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv, Hey mate. I've been asked by Italy to say the rumours are 100% not true. Never really know what goes on at board level but the rumours have been going around for a couple of months and head office are adament that they are just rumours.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1, was JW, caught a new epic thread earlier where someone was asking about it.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=72065
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
a crappy pair of Vists

Shocked No such thing mate Wink
ski holidays
arv, yeah saw that. I guess it's all good advertising for us Toofy Grin
latest report
Movement Kamasutras
snow report
Quote:

As a buyer of skis you need to have a god understanding

I'm not sure I can ever hope to attain that... rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
a crappy pair of Vists

Depends who's been servicing them wink
latest report
OK, I've had a quick whizz through this thread and maybe I am missing something - I see the point of the twin tip for the park where you don't always go or land forwards, but would they cause a problem with regular skiing? I see on a packed piste that the length of ski that curves underfoot and edges is probably as long as the flat surface that it has against the snow, and on solid snow it probably stops there. However, what about in softer conditions - we had all that fresh snow in VT and spent a good day all playing in it. Do the twin tips cause problems in these conditions? I would have thought that if you tip them over on their edge in deep snow when, say, going forwards that the back curve would/could have caught against the snow and interferred with the action of the ski. Does that happen and if not why not?
snow report
another thing ive noticed is skis like the volkl bridge, bridge the gap between park/pipe and off piste but the majority of skiers dont go near the park/pipe and tend to do piste and of piste. so what skis out there bridge the gap between piste and off piste totally ignoring the park? are there any? if so can someone tell me Smile
snow conditions
grazygeorges, These are called "All Mountain Skis" I guess and there are hundreds.
snow conditions
ye but if you read the description on all mountain skis they all say much the same that they go of piste and in the park/pipe they very rarely mention on piste skiing mixed with off piste skiing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i'm not sure where you're getting your information but a good proportion of these will serve you on piste and off-piste - some will do one thing better than the other but still:

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2009/_freeride/
http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2009/_allround/
ski holidays
well thats in french lol not much use
ski holidays
grazygeorges, Gives you a good selection of skis under each category though, you an then go on and check them out elsewhere, or if you wish to find out something about a particular ski you could ask or search about it.
latest report
Or if you want a ski for a particular purpose ask if anyone has any recommendations unless you already have and i've missed it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ah google translates it for you which is cool. the moment reno ski looks and sounds pretty cool. anyone ever used a pair? doubt i would ever get to test them anyway as ive never seen them on sale so any info on the ski and uk dealers would be great
snow report
info@momentskis.com

I'm not sure but sure the guys would know. If you find a UK/Europe distributor can you post your findings or the email you get back.

Cheers
snow report
yeh will do will give them an email tomorrow. if i cant get hold of a uk distributor for moment what would be the one pair of skis people would recommend for on piste/off piste none of this park skiing though. 5'11'-6ft, 11stone, intermmidiate skier but takes lessons on every trip. just want something that will cope with both situations well
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
a crappy pair of Vists

Depends who's been servicing them wink

I subbed them out to Decathlon wink
latest report
grazygeorges,

Moment are a cultish ski popular in the U.S. I am not sure where you would find there here, particuarly to demo.

There is lot more info and availabity of certain skis in the UK and with the £ weak and the Euro stronger, you might want to buy here, especially if you can scout round and get last years model..which in some cases is just a question of graphics. And some skis have such unique looking graphics you probably could'nt date them by that anyway..

Try these guys, have a look at their site and give them a call..very helpful, IMV

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/movement.html

You might also want to check out kiwi1's sites..

Off-piste and park skis might have a common theme in that neither need to be too stiff....( altho' this can be a POV that some disagree on ) and traditionally people skied GS skis off-piste for the softer reason. When landing jumps you may not want to have the stiffness of the ski ping the ski out of its bindings...when everything else about the jump might have meant you would have landed it... but yu'll have to make that call on your preference.

Now people want a ski that can perform on the piste and therefore will wear the ski being stiffer for the performance gain, but you have to put up with that elsewhere. Some people now quite like a stiffer ski in deep snow as there will be gains to be enjoyed elsewhere. Hiow this squares with peformance in a park ..???

So, again, not all skis are good to all men, and you will make a compromise here and there...

You have choices...as arno says, buy what you know..and people here have given this a good shout, IMV, or buy the one you think is coolest/sickest....whether you test it or not...
ski holidays
A really interesting thread as I am in the process of buying my first ski's. I was advised to buy an all mountain twin tip ski. I think what grazygeorges, seems to be after is something that will be decent for the park, off piste and on? That is exactly what i want to. but having never ski'd TT, I am reluctant to buy without trying.

I was thinking that i want to get more time in the parks now so, i think that this season (three trips planned), i would estimate my time usage being 50% on piste, 25% off piste and 25% at the park. I am a good intermediate skier, I can ski anywhere or any gradient (just somtimes not in a stylish manner Blush ) and can do decent high jumps - forwards only (at the mo). Like grazygeorges, I am cr@p at the techi side of things.

Also, they need to look good wink

I think I really want to try at the resort a few pairs. Is this the norm for shops? what happens if a pair get scratched.. will i have to keep them?
snow conditions
see im not bothered about the park/pipe i wont venture anywhere near it to be honest so all of my skiing will be done on and off piste. so something that will grip will on piste and get a good edge but give a decent float off piste. i dont really need to be able to do jumps and back flips lol as i wont even try it. so recommendations for a ski the can handle just on/off piste not the park would be very welcome
snow report
Sounds like grazygeorges just wants some recommendations for a good All Mountain twin tip ski. Wouldn't mind knowing that myself, as my (heavy, quite stiff) Head iXRC 800s are less than ideal off-piste, and I'm not about to start transporting more than one pair of skis. But I guess a recommendation for me, as a female pixie, is not going to be the same as one for grazygeorges. Anyway, I'll be interested to see how this thread develops.
snow report
grazygeorges, Look at the Atomic Nomad Crimson-you will be able to get some great deals on last years skis. It depends how fat you want to go to be honest. Personally I'd go for a Volkl Mantra (or similar) but thats just me..
snow report
grazygeorges, Pimping i know, Toofy Grin but why don't you think about my Fischer Kehua's i have for sale? Twin tip all mountain ski, biased to off piste. Same ski as current Fischer Misfit.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40520
snow conditions
hi carroz - arent they a female specific ski?
snow report
 brian
brian
grazygeorges wrote:
see im not bothered about the park/pipe i wont venture anywhere near it to be honest

Don't buy twin tips then, or at least don't be exclusively hung up on them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy