Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pointless snowfall speculation

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7574603.stm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Met Office's crystal ball is becoming less murky, maybe they have been measuring the heights of yellow Alpine plants and peeling onions! wink Laughing

Seriously though, does anyone know what a slightly less positive NAO means for snowfall in the different regions of the Alps?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it correct to say that a more positive NAO would benefit the Northern French Alps, Switzerland and Western Austria; whereas a more negative NAO would benefit the Southern Alps, Dolomites, Julian Alps & Carinthia?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
chris wrote:
There's going to be epic snowfalls here this coming season. The local old boys have assured me these plants indicate a harsh winter ahead. I've never noticed them before but this summer some have grown to over 2 metres high!
Cool

Have they been at the genepi again? rolling eyes
They're huge plants though.

This is a very common local myth, as well as there supposedly being lots and lots of grasshoppers. Yes this year the plants are massive ( i have one in my garden which is over 6ft tall) but there aren't masses of grasshoppers compared to previous years.

Although i like to believe the locals, i honestly believe the plats are as big as they are purely due to the amount of rain we have had this spring and summer.

Fingers crossed however they are correct.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There were hardly any grasshoppers at all when I was out in July, and I think that was probably due to the rain in May and June too. Just as well, as they drove our dog nuts last year, and we were constantly sweeping them off the terrace.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, does your dog have problems with ticks? I got one in my abdomen this summer and due to my ignorance of the subject it had been there a while before I realised. Eventually had the head dug out expensively by doctor. I am now more clued up, and have the right tweezers, but they must be a right pain with a hairy dog to search all the time.

But it put me in mind of what my old Welsh aunts used to say

"A tick in the toe
And winter will come slow.
But a tick in the tum
Means cold times to come"

so that's all right then. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, she has had no problems with ticks at all. The flea treatment also protects against ticks, and she has a further treatment at the vets before we leave (part of the requirement for re-entry into the UK) She has light fur on her belly too, so we would notice quite easily. None in the winter of course, and there are less at higher altitude, in fact they probably don't survive above 1500m according to our French vet, similarly fleas and mosquitoes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv wrote:
La Rosiere?

I'll go Canadian Rockies because they had a pretty sh*te season as far as things go last year.

How'd you work that out?

Fernie last year had pretty much a record year, as did Jasper the previous year............

John.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BCjohnny, I spent the season in Banff-shite. Jasper didn't have a great season. Ok Fernie had an outstanding one but it was more likely the exception than the rule.

Ross
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Lizzard range is also not technically the Rockies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, I was thinking that but didn't want to be too cocky then have someone tell me it was.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this winter will be cold.. very very very cold.. both here and in the alps..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't believe that Kramer's Love Thread has 7 more pages than this one. Get your priorities right people!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy, absolutely, what am I think ing about. The forst snow will fall on the slopes of Monetier, on or about the 18th November. After that AT LEAST 30 cms will fall every week until the 28th December. The 29th Dec will dawn bright and sunny, with fresh powder on every piste. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Apparently the 20th and 21st of December will be exactly like the 28/29th of December.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
south east of england will be under a blanket of snow this winter.. from late nov till early april

Sounds good for cross country skiing, but will there be massive earth movements before November to make the mountains?
snow conditions
Peter Ross, the road my office is on would make a decent red run. Just have to stop before the river. wink
ski holidays
Below are is the moon phases chart from oct 2008 to may 2009.

This should give you all a rough idea of how things might turn out, or at least when the big dumps might come, lets just hope they do.
What we dont want is a clear warm night on the new moon, that will predict a dry warm month. Snow on the new moon should look good for that month to be a snowy one.
Well that is the therory, fingers crossed it works for this year!

NEW MOON FIRST QUARTER FULL MOON LAST QUARTER

d h m d h m d h m d h m
OCT. 28 23 14 NOV. 6 4 03 NOV. 13 6 17 NOV. 19 21 31
NOV. 27 16 55 DEC. 5 21 26 DEC. 12 16 37 DEC. 19 10 29
DEC. 27 12 22 JAN. 4 11 56 JAN. 11 3 27 JAN. 18 2 46
JAN. 26 7 55 FEB. 2 23 13 FEB. 9 14 49 FEB. 16 21 37
FEB. 25 1 35 MAR 4 7 46 MAR. 11 2 38 MAR. 18 17 47
MAR 26 16 06 APR. 2 14 34 APR. 9 14 56 APR. 17 13 36
APR. 25 3 23 MAY 1 20 44 MAY 9 4 01 MAY 17 7 26
snow conditions
of dear that didn't seem to work! hope someon can desipher it for me!
ski holidays
snowangel., oh snowpredictor, please tell me when will it snow around the 20-27th of December in Serre Che! snowHead

Hopefully it doesnt snow on 20th or the night of the 19th because the driver of our hire car will be gritting their teeth!
snow report
DEC. 27 NEW MOON ................................... snowHead
snow conditions
Peter Ross wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
south east of england will be under a blanket of snow this winter.. from late nov till early april

Sounds good for cross country skiing, but will there be massive earth movements before November to make the mountains?
the giant landfill rubbish dump at pitsea is now 2500 metres high!
ski holidays
and so it starts! The speculation, the hope, the heartache, the thrill and the arguments. How right will Brian be? How many times will Carled have to explain about "snowforecast said 10cm were due and we only got 2cm", and will I finally work out what the GFS means?

I enjoy every minute, and for me the season starts now.
snow report
and I had better not forget Snowangel and her Werewolf theory (that seems to be fairly consistently correct).
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Pointless speculation ? I'll give you pointless speculation ..... wink

snow report
brian, so things are looking promising for an early season weekend in the western alps?

and feb will suck?
snow report
Arno, just like last year, then?
snow conditions
pam w, i am totally going to plan my skiing around those charts and ask brian for my money back if it doesn't work out as predicted wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, you can certainly ask. Little Angel
latest report
Arno, I suspect that Brian will be happy to pay back every penny his advice has cost you if he gets it wrong.
snow conditions
pam w, i will so not complain if its like last year! wink and now i have a horse i can ride when there is no snow so i'll be happy whatever happends with the snow!
ski holidays
Meteo France Chamonix have issued their 6 month long range forecast for the Alps. Unless you want to work on your tan wait till March before booking your holiday.
snow conditions
Is it the end of Alpine skiing as we know it?
ski holidays
It looks like the old boys may be right!
View of the Prorel this morning. Very Happy
ski holidays
I've just seen davidof's translation of the Meteo France prediction that he posted on piste(w)hor(e)s.

Sad
snow report
My prediction is that is will be lean all the way till March and then snow heaps and heaps in the Alps....

In the US however it will be cold and snowy from mid november till March....Farmers Almanac reckons a very hard winter...

So in summary - ski the US sill March and then tarnsfer to the Alps !! Very Happy
ski holidays
My prediction is that it will snow really heavily from Jan1 to Jan 9 - the 10th being a transfer day the roads will be clear. For the following 6-days it will snow heavily overnight and then be bright, clear and cold during the day. THe 17th will be clear again to get out the resort and home

Well I can but hope wink
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
stanton wrote:
Greenland.
Just flew over Greenland a couple of days ago. First time I've seen it without a covering of clouds. It didn't look snowy at all! Just loads of icebergs and very dirty looking glaciers. Loads of lakes and rivers in the middle of the ice all the way across. Is this normal for this time of year?

I flew over the southern tip of Greenland back in March on the way to the States and i did look very impressive. (Pic attached)

Doesn't help much with the forecast for this coming winter though!! Sorry!!!

Thanks for the edit tip!! snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 13-10-08 19:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think the ?v=0 is chucking it out:

ski holidays
Would love a bit of Northern Irish skiing again this year. I have a new friend that works for the Forestry Service. He has a Land Rover and a big set of keys to all the Forests. Reckon we could hunt out some pow!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy