Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda fans.

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Bish wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Looks as if the traditional snowHeads rendezvous at Colfosco is on. Suspect Hoppo will be there too!

snowHead

When is this rendezvous? Colfosco is one of my favourite areas of the Sella Ronda; its ideal for the first day or so to get your ski legs back into order.

I too, absolutely love the Sella Ronda area. We have stayed in Selva val Gardena for the past 3 years and absolutely love everything about the whole area. Masses of skiing, absolutely beautiful scenery, good food and not that expensive. We are thinking of considering somewhere else this year (for a change) but keep veering back to wanting to go back to the Dolomites.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, 10.30am, Tuesday 17th Feb 2009, top of Ütia Piz Sorega snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roy Hockley , yeah you're right, I had 11 nights in Banff, Canada last year all in with some car hire, lift passes, snowmobiling trip and all spending money for £1400.
Chris Bish, unfortunately you're stuck with those dates and the tour ops know it and stick the price up by a huge amount.
Roy Hockley, are you heading to the Dolomites next season? Have you booked or are you hanging on for a last-minute bargain?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
jb1970, 10.30am, Tuesday 17th Feb 2009, top of Ütia Piz Sorega snowHead

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!!! - the half term week. We have booked Sat 7 Feb - Sat 14 Feb off work but haven't booked anywhere yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just booked for the 3rd week in January to go to Arabba with Colletts. Really excited. I thought about going last year but stayed 'safe' with the Three Valleys again (which I love). The pictures in the Colletts brochure make the Dolomites look amazing, just can't wait. This thread convinced me to go for it.

Anyone who has any top tips for Arabba for eating out (self catering) and best runs bring it on!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm afraid we're off to Obergurgl at New Year instead of Selva at half-term next year... have fun though - it's a fantastic area! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, Hoppo, we will have a diet Coke for you at Colfosco with the rest of the crew. Apologies for your being confused with Hippo, !

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Armitageblue, you've got just over 5 months to wait, you Dolomite virgin.

The awesome scenery, the plentiful sunny terraces of mountain restarants and the sense of travelling on skis from village to village will blow you away. You'll never go back to that over-hyped, over-crowded, over-priced piece of France again. Am I going over the top? No, really, I've done the 3 Valleys and it's not that bad! Liked Mont Vallon down to Mottaret, the views from Saulire and down to Courchevel 1850.

You must try and do the Hidden Valley of Armentarola. Sorry, can't help with Arabba restaurants.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi,

If the British skiers going to Sella Ronda in big number they may bring the over-hyped, over-crowded, over-priced consequence too.

I like it the way it is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi, the travelling thing is true, more so than in France, I think it's because the area is more 3D. Also the scenery, I know everyone goes on about it, but the views are better than any I've seen anywhere else. Especially the view from the top of Cinque Torri.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee wrote:
Quote:

luigi,

If the British skiers going to Sella Ronda in big number they may bring the over-hyped, over-crowded, over-priced consequence too.

I like it the way it is.

I don't mind sharing it with a select number of snowheads though snowHead snowHead

Swirly wrote:
Quote:

Especially the view from the top of Cinque Torri.

Yeah, hoping to get up there this time, it was always a bit too far from Selva. I got a copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard 2007 from the library the other day and guess what view they chose for the front cover.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi, we went with the TO it was part of the hidden valley trip, otherwise as you say it's a bit far as you need some sort of transport and when you get there there's only a couple of runs so you're only there for about an hour and a half including a hot choc at the top (best I've ever had). If you had a car you could do it on the way to Cortina.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
luigi,

I like it the way it is.

Amazing that people complain about the over-hyped, over-crowded 3 Vallées and then go to the just as overhyped and overcrowded Sella Ronda.

I went to Selva last year and actually found it just as overcrowded as 3 Vallées. We went one day to Seceda because it was supposed to be uncrowded. Well honestly you had to be careful where the ski, amazing the amount skiers on the sunny slopes... The run down to Ortisei was great though, calm and long, but to our surprise a 30 minute wait for the cable car back up. Another day we took the sella ronda in the direction of Canazei. Incredible the amount of slow lifts you have to take, before you got to any serious skiing... Travelling yes, but most of it spent in the lifts! Another day we went to Arabba, via Corvara. Nice runs there, but what crowds to take the cable car up in Arraba, not mentioning the bad lift connections in Arabba (you have to walk for 10-15 minutes). Then finally we skied to La villa and found that the mountains were almost deserted. Remained there for the rest of the week, although much of runs in that region were short and easy (except for the nice black towards La villa itself). At least we had the slopes for ourselves (not on the sella ronda circuit itself).

So honestly, skiing wise I can't confirm that the Sella Ronda is really so great. Too many people, too easy runs. Of course the great scenery and nice mountain restaurants make up for a lot!

And no joke, I also skied a day in the "Tre Valli" region close to the Sella ronda. No crowds, better snow than the Sella Ronda, nicely varied runs, great scenery. "Tre Valli" is much smaller than Sella Ronda (or its french namemate) but I largely prefer it to the overhyped Sella Ronda!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 8-08-08 19:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bart_bdv, You must be a very slow walker as it is about 200 metres between the two Arabba lift systems. The Sella Ronda can get busy at certain points , the answer is to ski it anti-clock wise as 70% of people do it clockwise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
riverman wrote:
bart_bdv, You must be a very slow walker as it is about 200 metres between the two Arabba lift systems. The Sella Ronda can get busy at certain points , the answer is to ski it anti-clock wise as 70% of people do it clockwise.

Well it felt like it was much further, and you almost had to queu with the amount of people walking there! It reminded me of the 3 Vallées where all the skiers from Courchevel want to be in Val Thorens, and all the skiers from Val Thorens in Courchevel. Result is that they're all queuing at the same lifts!

I did it anti-clock wise and the number of lifts you have to take in that direction is mind-boggling. I much prefer to ski than sitting in a lift.

Honestly in my opinion there are much nicer skiing destinations in the dolomites like the Tre valli or the Civetta region. Much less crowds and at least you can ski rather than sit on lifts.
snow conditions
luigi, We will probably go, either as boys jolly, with a mixed group or just with Mrs. RH! Dont know when yet.

To get to the Cinque Tore, take the taxi as per the hidden valley route and instead of taking gondola straight up cross the road in front of the gondola station put skis on and ski to your left. Go past first lift and follow the trail down about a 7min ski!!!. Take that lift up and bobs your second cousin twice removed!!! Well worth it as hardly anyone goes that far. Poodle about until after lunch and then go back to the lift station and catch the bus up to the Laguzoi gondola and start your trip back via the hidden valley!
snow report
bart_bdv, Yes I would agree with you about the Civetta region being very good skiing and nice and quite. Last year year skied from Arraba to Malga Ciapela and caught the bus to Alleghe skied the Civetta area and then skied back to Arraba with three short bus rides. This route back included Cinque Torri and the The Hidden Valley . Their is a ski map from the tourist office called the 1914-18 Ski Tour which covers this route. Can all be done in a day including a good lunch.
ski holidays
bart_bdv wrote:,
Quote:

Travelling yes, but most of it spent in the lifts!

But surely for every uplift you got a corresponding vertical to ski down, unless you defy the laws of physics! rolling eyes
Quote:

So honestly, skiing wise I can't confirm that the Sella Ronda is really so great. Too many people, too easy runs. Of course the great scenery and nice mountain restaurants make up for a lot!

So if skiing is just about the vertical and not about the whole experience, why don't you go to some hideous french ski factory like Les Menuires and leave the Dolomites for those who can appreciate them? rolling eyes
Quote:

Then finally we skied to La Villa and found that the mountains were almost deserted.

So it took you all week to work out that the Sella Ronda is most useful to access the less crowded areas away from the main circuit, if you had come here first we could have saved you the trouble of learning the hard way. rolling eyes
snow conditions
bart_bdv, I don't think anyone's welcomed you to snowHeads yet, but instead are rather unnecessarily (IMV) rolling their eyes at you. Welcome anyway!
snow report
Welcome to snowheads snowHead bart_bdv, hope I haven't scared you off, I just had trouble making sense of some of your assertions.

Normally, first posters tread more carefully with contrary views, lest they be mistaken for a troll. But, maybe this thread was getting too self-congratulatory and you've injected some debate!
ski holidays
luigi, Toofy Grin Little Angel
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
Welcome to snowheads snowHead bart_bdv, hope I haven't scared you off, I just had trouble making sense of some of your assertions.

Normally, first posters tread more carefully with contrary views, lest they be mistaken for a troll. But, maybe this thread was getting too self-congratulatory and you've injected some debate!

Well it's not the first time I post on a forum (I posted a lot on alpinforum.com in German and on skipass.com in French), so I didn't feel like I had to flatter the people here first. I may have been on the negative side due to the self-congratulary side of this post, which maybe not have been necessary. I just want to see say to people who have never been to the dolomites, that the Sella Ronda really is not the only place to ski and that in fact it has many disadvantages. If you read the German forums who ski a lot in Austria and Süd-Tirol, you will realise the same thing. But I certainly don't want to offend anyone here. It's weird how we all tend to defend our favourite resorts and feel offended if somebody critices it.

The dolomites are a great place, the scenery is stunning, the mountain restaurants are great and much less expensive than in French or Swiss resorts. The weather is 8 times out of 10 sunshine. But the Sella Ronda is not the only place to enjoy this, and in my opinion the French equivalent to the 3 valleys in France.
ski holidays
Luigi:
Quote:

But surely for every uplift you got a corresponding vertical to ski down, unless you defy the laws of physics! rolling eyes

I don't want to get a heated discussion here. But if you have a lift that takes 20 minutes to get a vertical of 300meters, and a green piste follows with a length of 3 km and again a vertical of 300 meters, this is not great skiing to me. This is typical for travelling type of skiing, where rather than searching the nice pistes, you only think about how do I get to the next resort in the least time. It's a different type of skiing I guess.

Quote:

So if skiing is just about the vertical and not about the whole experience, why don't you go to some hideous french ski factory like Les Menuires and leave the Dolomites for those who can appreciate them? rolling eyes

I think we can have a long discussion about what is hideous and what is not. For me the Sella ronda is a skiing factory like any in France. After all the Sella Ronda has almost 100% artificial snow smaking and all the pistes are groomed everyday, what more factory like can you be? I much prefer a smaller area with a nice vertical and bad grooming than a large resort which is all about travelling around and has perfect piste grooming (which is a personal choice I guess). But if you want the Dolomite experience I would go to San Martino Di Castrozza and not the Sella Ronda!

Quote:

So it took you all week to work out that the Sella Ronda is most useful to access the less crowded areas away from the main circuit, if you had come here first we could have saved you the trouble of learning the hard way. rolling eyes

Oh well who doesn't make mistakes.
latest report
bart_bdv wrote:

I think we can have a long discussion about what is hideous and what is not. For me the Sella ronda is a skiing factory like any in France. After all the Sella Ronda has almost 100% artificial snow smaking and all the pistes are groomed everyday, what more factory like can you be? I much prefer a smaller area with a nice vertical and bad grooming than a large resort which is all about travelling around and has perfect piste grooming (which is a personal choice I guess). But if you want the Dolomite experience I would go to San Martino Di Castrozza and not the Sella Ronda!

The whole of the dolomiti superski area has over 95% of pistes covered by snow making - when necessary. I don't think that is an indication of being a "ski factory" at all.

And almost all European resorts groom almost all the pistes every day.

I also think that people here have been using "Sella Ronda" as shorthand for the whole area, rather than just meaning the circuit. Most people will only actually do the circuit once or twice in a week, the rest of the time they will be off skiing other areas.

Incidentally, while a previous poster was right about more people doing the circuit clockwise, there is good reason for that - namely the long slow pistes you mention. There aren't as many of those going clockwise - in fact I can only think of the one between Col Rodella and Plan de Gralba.
snow conditions
So I post in excitement having booked for Arabba then immediately someone comes on and completely urinates on my bonfire, so to speak. Erm, welcome to Snowheads! Twisted Evil
snow report
alex_heney wrote:

Quote:
I also think that people here have been using "Sella Ronda" as shorthand for the whole area, rather than just meaning the circuit. Most people will only actually do the circuit once or twice in a week, the rest of the time they will be off skiing other areas.

You've hit the nail on the head here, maybe this is the key to our differences with bart_bdv. No-one ever advocated that you should do the whole Sella Ronda circuit day in, day out. On my next visit, I may not bother at all, there are lots of places away from the circuit that are pretty empty.

bart_bdv, I don't think anyone said that the Dolomites are the only good place to ski in the world, but that it has a compelling mix of qualities that keep drawing us back for more, even though we have sampled many other resorts and experiences and enjoyed them too. The recommendation to others is that they should try it once and see if they like it too. Would you deny someone that opportunity? Maybe it wouldn't suit someone for whom repeated long vertical is the only priority, though I've heard that the Dolomite area of Kronplatz is ideal for this.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 9-08-08 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
I don't think anyone said that the Dolomites are the only good place to ski in the world, but that it has a compelling mix of qualities that keep drawing us back for more, even though we have sampled many other resorts and experiences and enjoyed them too. The recommendation to others is that they should try it once and see if they like it too. Would you deny someone that opportunity? Maybe it wouldn't suit someone for whom repeated long vertical is the only priority, though I've heard that the Dolomite area of Kronplatz is ideal for this.

No no you got me wrong. Nobody said the dolomites are the only place to ski, but I meant to say that the Sella Ronda is not the only place in the Dolomites to ski (small nuance). The Sella ronda is not synonomous for dolomites. Although I understand that some people sometimes take the car (or bus) to go to other places for half a day. In my opinion these areas worth staying the week. The Kronplatz is not the best example because that's the one I like the least of all the Süd tiroler skiing areas. They have a long vertical sure, but it is 100% artificial snow (they go down to 800m of altitude), with almost always green pastures aside piste. Ok all dolomite areas have almost 100% covering, but the pistes are more natural than at the Kronplatz.
ski holidays
Armitageblue wrote:
So I post in excitement having booked for Arabba then immediately someone comes on and completely urinates on my bonfire, so to speak. Erm, welcome to Snowheads! Twisted Evil

Sorry nothing personal. If you loved the three valleys Im sure you'll love Arabba as well. My negative experience was mainly because I was based in Selva, and Selva is the Meribel of the Sella Ronda (lot's of skiing traffic there). I think that from Arabba it's easier to avoid the crowds. It also has some of the best skiing at the Sella Ronda. Also I was there in February (kids), maybe January is better? Maybe the Sella Ronda experts can comment on that?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bart_bdv wrote:
Armitageblue wrote:

Sorry nothing personal. If you loved the three valleys Im sure you'll love Arabba as well. My negative experience was mainly because I was based in Selva, and Selva is the Meribel of the Sella Ronda (lot's of skiing traffic there). I think that from Arabba it's easier to avoid the crowds. It also has some of the best skiing at the Sella Ronda. Also I was there in February (kids), maybe January is better? Maybe the Sella Ronda experts can comment on that?

Thought it was quite funny and typical of my luck.

So where would you recommend I head for from Arabba for the best skiing experience.

Cheers
ski holidays
To be fair Selva does get crowded in the morning when everyone want to start the circuit. I had to go very early just to get a parking space in the town. That was because I wanted to cut down the time skiing from Santa Cristina to Selva and concentrate on the loop by commencing from the offiicial starting point at the chairlif No. 31.

What I have found out is the first chairlift No. 31 is very short whereas the second chairlift No. 30 in the clockwise direction is a long gondolas. By just driving to the bottom station of No. 30 I could avoid the big queue in the morning. I had to go there equally early before the massive number of skiers from the chairllift No. 31 arrived. The first chairlift No. 31 is at the centre of the town whereas the second chairlift No. 30 is at the fringe of the town. It is long way to walk to but takes no time at all to drive to and have massive parking facilities.

Thus by starting the Sella Ronda clockwise from the second chairlift one can avoid the queue better. By the time one finishes the loop the section omitted at the beginning, between first and second chairlifts, will be nearly deserted and can be skied without crowd.

In the anticlockwise direction the first couple of runs from Selva are among the steepest and I noticed a large number of skiers were hesitant and congregating at the top. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them would take the easy way out to choose to ski the clockwise direction instead so that the steep sections can be avoided. The steep sections in question are long and look hellish from the top.

It would be relevant to point out the queues in Sella Ronda are concentrated at the bottlenecks of the Sella Ronda circuit which is about 30km long. The linked areas with Sella Ronda has 510km piste in total and so crowd is not really an issue once a skier is moving with the circuit flow or coming off the circuit. I remember only running into the end a 10 minute queue when passing Corvara once myself but it is true that I wouldn't go there during a mid term break.

From my observation only a small number of skier in this part of Dolomites would do the whole circuit. To ski the circuit one has to be comfotable with red runs and be able to maintain the speed to go through the loop in time before the chairlifts stop operating. I am sure there are slow piste users travelling from one area to another but the main body of skiers in the circuit appear to be able to flow quite freely.

I have to say my admiration goes to the resort operator for having invested substantially to make this long circuit easy and attractive to all skiers. It is a unique experience and a good mile stone for skiers with lesser experience who can take comfort in being able to ski the Sella Ronda, the world's biggest circular loop, in a day. The fact that one has to pass four skiing villeges and able to contact with the stunning scenery continuously is just the icing on the cake.
latest report
bart_bdv wrote,
Quote:

Also I was there in February (kids), maybe January is better?

I've only ever been in March when it hasn't been very busy. Maybe your Belgian school holidays coincide with shrove tuesday/mardi gras/carnevale/fasching week when a lot of Italians, Germans & Dutch all have holidays, maybe that's why it was the nightmare you portrayed. It seemed like you were describing a different place to which I visited. You are going to have to get off the beaten track to avoid crowds anywhere that week. It won't be nearly as crowded in January.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-08-08 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bart_bdv, welcome to snowHead 's

Queues could be a problem, the notable ones are the charilifts going between Colfosco and Corvara! Those I expect as the area has got more popular. On our last holiday there were two bad lift queues (not bad for six days skiing) one was Ciampinoi for 10min at about 10am. The other was horrendous about 30min for the bottom gondolo up to Marmolada.

Zermatt has the same problem about getting up to the slopes, no place is perfect. Selva and the Sella Ronda may not neccesarrily the best ski resort in the world, I dont think anyone has actually said that! It does however have one of the most beautiful vistas in the skiing world (I dont think I am referring to curry's here wink ).

There are perhaps places that you bart_bdv, would suggest we could go to and judge what you are looking for in a ski holiday. It would be interesting to know your own personal likes, we have got your dislikes now.
snow report
Just checking out school holidays in Europe here:

It seems that in 2009 the last week in Feb (21st-28th) should be the big one to avoid in Sella ronda resorts as it's Carnival week and there are school holidays in the local province of Bolzano, the Veneto region, Bavaria, the southern half of the Netherlands, Luxembourg and both Wallonia & Flanders in Belgium. Unless you want a repeat of bart_bdv's experiences and you know how bitter that can make you wink

Peak season for accommodation generally runs from 1st/2nd week Feb through 1st week Mar as well as Xmas, New Year & possibly Easter, expect the dates outside of these to be the quietest.
latest report
Armitageblue wrote:

I wouldn't bother what has been said about Sella Ronda. The area is absolutely wonderful with pistes for all abilities. A huge area, wonderful inexpensive eating places with very good food and scenery to absolutely die for. You basically get double the 3 valleys at a fraction of the price (3 valleys - 600km, Dolomiti Superski 1220km). I have been 3 years running and, although I want to go back again next year, I am going to go somewhere else just for a change (then, again, maybe not as I haven't booked anything as yet!). I will probably go back again the following year. It really is wonderful - you will NOT be disappointed.

Alex_Heney is absolutely spot on when he says that the term "Sella Ronda" is shorthand for the whole area. The "Sella Ronda" per se is really a circular route more or less slap bang in the middle of the Dolomit Superski (think of it as a wheel); it is not indicative of the size Dolomiti Superski area at all. The Dolomiti Superski area goes off in all directions from the "Sella Ronda Wheel".
snow report
jb1970, True. Armitageblue, You will not be dissapointed.
snow report
Armitageblue, don't worry, you will enjoy it! I can only think that bart_bdv just hit a really busy holiday week and made some bad choices about routes.
Arabba has got some of the longest, most testing runs in the area off the top of Porto Vescovo (900m vertical), Passo Padon and the red then blue run from the top station of the Marmolada right down to the bottom station in Malga Ciapela is 1811m vertical.
It's not far to get across to the quiet Alta Badia area between Corvara and San Cassiano, then just beyond that you can get the taxi-bus up to Passo Falzarego and the cable-car that accesses the Hidden Valley run of at least 1026m vertical.
If you're feeling really adventurous and the conditions are right, there are numerous off-piste itineraries off the Sasso Pordoi cablecar such as Val Lasties, Forcella Pordoi, Val di Mezdi (local guide strongly recommended). Just look at what these crazy dutchmen did. Just stick "arabba" or "sella" into that forum's search facility and you will be amazed at what comes up.
ski holidays
Try this one too. Mind-blowing! Shocked
snow conditions
And this trip report. Amazing photos. Shocked Shocked
snow report
luigi wrote:
Try this one too. Mind-blowing! Shocked

What fantastic pictures, thank you.

Big smiles again.
latest report
The crazy dutchmen put a link to a video of their exploits, it's at the bottom of the photo report just before the feedback posts start.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy