Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda fans.

Poster: A snowHead
bart_bdv, when are you going?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
bart_bdv, when are you going?

Sadly 21-28 February so should be busy period (but have no choice with the kids)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bart_bdv wrote:
ok I hate to admit it, but I booked in the Alta Badia region. Given the fact I'm taking two girls below 12 with me, the combination of blue runs, sun, great mountain restaurants and acceptable prices is hard to beat. What I'd like to ask is what is your favourite run in the Sella ronda area. I don't mean the toughest run, but the one that you enjoyed the most (either because of the view, the mountain restaurant, the length, anything you want).

The "Hidden Valley" run undoubtedly for me.

You'll need to take a bus up from Corvara to reach the cable car, and then the last part of the run back to Corvara is flat, and achieved by a horse tow (which adds to the experience).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, Agree with you totally re hidden valley. You mean Armentarola. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bart_bdv, If you have children with you then I am sure they would love the horse tow. After skiing the hidden valley (which is fantastic), you either pole along the valley floor or for a few euros hold onto ropes pulled along by horse sleighs! Our children aged from 12 absolutely loved it and said it was the best skiing related experience they had ever had! Only lasts about 10 minutes but was such fun.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 17-09-08 15:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The hidden valley run was Ok, and I enjoyed the skate out racing the horse and cart. But some of my favourite runs were the blacks off the cable car in Arraba, or the long red down into Corvarra from Crep de Munt
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, I thought the toughest black in the area was going down to La Villa, the one they use for the FIS slalom!

They have some truly gorgeous runs with stunning scenery though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bart_bdv, not part of the Sella Ronda but part of the Dolomiti Superski and just round the corner from the Lagazuoi cable car (car to Hidden Valley), is the Cinque Torri. We went there on a day in March as part of a Hidden Valley day trip, where we had a couple of hours at the Cinque Torri and then moved on to the Hidden Valley.

Although not a big ski area on it's own, the runs were quite challenging and very empty. I think one of the runs was a womens world cup run. You can really get some speed up and bomb it down to the bottom from the top if that's your thing or just leisurely cruise down.

At the bottom near the car park you take a 5 person chair that has a cover if required and then ski to the one person chair which takes you to the top.

The scenery is stunning and you can see Cortina in the valley when you reach the top of the one person chair.

Andy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bart_bdv wrote:
ok I hate to admit it, but I booked in the Alta Badia region. Given the fact I'm taking two girls below 12 with me, the combination of blue runs, sun, great mountain restaurants and acceptable prices is hard to beat. What I'd like to ask is what is your favourite run in the Sella ronda area. I don't mean the toughest run, but the one that you enjoyed the most (either because of the view, the mountain restaurant, the length, anything you want).

Just seen this.

My favourite run in all of the Sella Ronda are all the runs in the Corvara area - the runs are fairly easy (that's not why I like them though), the scenery is just awesome and whole experience is just wonderful.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can get off nice and early in the morning, the runs from the Passo Gardena down to Selva under the Dantercepies gondola are a real hoot.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bruski,

Yes they are, I must have a bit more of a play around in that area this year. In previous years we just skiied those runs as part of the Sella ronda circuit, and we rushed them to complete the circuit in good time.

Roy Hockley,
Quote:

I thought the toughest black in the area was going down to La Villa, the one they use for the FIS slalom!

No idea which is the toughest, just which runs I liked. I haven't found any of the runs particularly taxing in the conditions I've skiied them. I wouldn't have said the blacks I've skiied in the dolomites were anywhere near as hard as blacks in the likes of les2alpes, Alpe d'Huez or les Arc, However the runs in the dolomites were never allowed to mogul up the times I was there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all,

I worked in San Cassiano for 4 winter seasons and had a fab time. The area is generally quiet (with the exception of the main holidays), and the lift wait was non existant in my experience. Very rare to hear an English voice mainly German and Italian, but I think that adds to the beauty of the area. You cannot beat the breathtaking views of the red rock dolomites. I have some fantastic photos of my stay here, and should get them put onto a website so you can all see. I loved Corvara for a bit of life, and Pedraces for a bit of rest. The Badia Pub in Pedraces is the BEST and the Underground in Corvara is great for a beer. One thing that must be done though is the Tea Dancing at the Posta Zirm in Corvara, Champange Cocktail and ski boots make the afternoon go off with a BANG!!!
The local people here are fantastic, they have a great sense of humour and you really do feel like you have stepped back in time!

Great fun, enjoy your holidays in this fantastic region. I look foward to hearing all your stories on the forum. Oh and seeing all your photos.
Cheers. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This year we would really like to do the 'Dolomites' at some time ( mainly because so many rave about it here), but the choices of a base seem endless with so many stating different preferences on this and other threads and we have no idea what the area is like at all. Our requirements :-
- Middle-aged Intermediates
- Hotel-base ( B&B only if possible)
- Great views ( skiing and village) - probably the most important requirement
- Wed have to drive so anywhere
- Restaurants abound
- No need for apres-ski other than a beer in a bar
- Avoiding the worst of the crowds?
- Oh and some nice groomed skiing
-When? Probably January .. maybe March
Any recommendations I can research ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, when I was reaserching it myself, I found a lovely hotel in Corvara, recommended on a thread on here. Won't be able to afford it this winter though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Thanks .. yes think we talked about your wanting to go too

.. and so far we have nothing really planned apart from a week in Austria ( and that isnt planned , just partly paid for rolling eyes ) .. so only just getting off my butt.
snow conditions
Agenterre, Laughing Laughing . I think we will have to stick to Serre Chevalier this season.
snow conditions
Agenterre, Would highly recommend Hotel Stella in Selva. Perfect location (in fact one of the best in town) IMO, food pretty good. Have a look on the Selva website. Good value as well if that is in your requirments!!
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, Thanks .. Im not only cheap but love 'Good Value' rolling eyes
Helen Beaumont, Ive had a look .. any hotel in particular?
ski holidays
Agenterre, Hotel Mesdi,but it is in Arraba, not Corvara

Embarassed
snow report
Dave Horsley, Roy Hockley, none of the pistes in the area are excessively hard, however, a couple of the blacks at Arabba are fairly steep at least it felt like that when I fell a couple of hundred metres down one when I couldn't get my edge in enough to stop.
latest report
Agenterre, TBH it is good value for that area! Check out the B&B's across the road from it, they are just as expensive though! Better value would probably mean going down the valley to St. Christophe or Ortesei. Not as convenient though and for me that is v. important.

Have fun looking, it is a great spot!
ski holidays
bart_bdv, on the way to the Hidden Valley, I enjoyed the rollercoaster blue from Piz Sorega down to Armentarola, beautifully groomed, empty and at full speed, feeling the long-amplitude humps compress the knees up towards your chest. The exhilaration of really letting go speed-wise knowing that the slope won't catch you out.

By the way, glad to see you've succumbed to the Dolomite charms again!

pokemon, I'm keen to try the Cinque Torri next year, how do you get back up to the Lagazuoi cablecar when you've finished, is there a regular bus?
ski holidays
luigi, we were on a bus trip from Arabba organised by an independant Tour Operator. We went to the Cinque Torri first (passing the Lagazuoi car on the way) and had a couple of hours free time skiing and then we all piled on the bus and went back the way we had come to the Lagazuoi. By bus it's only 5 minutes IIRC. Not sure whether there would be public transport available but there were certainly other bus loads doing the same thing.

btw, there looked to be some nice gentle runs opposite the bottom of the Lagazuoi car but didn't have time to do these. I'd be interested if anyone has and what they were like.

Just edited my post to put a link to some photos I've just uploaded. There are a few of the Cinque Torri area.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/798

Andy
snow report
There is a regular bus sevice between the Lagazuoi Cable Car and the Cinque Torri chair and back during the ski season
snow report
Thanks everyone ... some nice options. Ill tell you what we decide after Ive done the research)
snow conditions
Pokemon - I did those runs (Col Gallina area) - they're good fun - 1 chair and 1 drag lift - 2 or 3 blue runs and not testing bar challenge of focusing on the piste rather than the amazing scenery...you can ski back fairly close to the road to cross over to the cable car. All in all a nice little detour prior to the Hidden Valley. Especially useful if you are there v early so that you can time your ski down the Valley for that must-do lunch at the Rifugio Scotoni...
Pat
latest report
Hi srhmart, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

With 4 seasons experience, you must know the area inside out, your expertise is going to be invaluable. You must post some photos!
ski holidays
patrick318, luigi, just been into Waterstones at lunch at looked at the "What's New" bit in this years Where to Ski and Snowboard book. Apparently there is a new chair and piste going in at the Cinque Torri that links it with Col Gallina. Therefore if you go to the Lagazuoi Cable Car and cross the road, you can ski the Cinque Torri and back without the need for another bus.

I wish the season had started as I want to go back now, with all this talk rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are another group joining the Sella Ronda fan club. After going to the Dolomites several times in summer for via ferratas, mountain walking and climbing, we have decided to ski there this year. I have just despatched the deposit for a week in what looks like a very nice apartment in Selva for the last week in January. Reading through this thread it looks like we'll have lots to do!
ski holidays
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Antares in Selva? We are thinking of 17 January. First time in this area though we have been to the Dolomites once before.

Thanks.
snow conditions
Just noticed this thread. We stayed at the Hotel Mesdi in Arraba last Feb. (brilliant place). The best run was, for me, the 12km Marmalada red - steep, but not to steep, wide, groomed to perfection and pretty quiet as we beat all the crowds by leaving from Arraba. I was a little dissapointed by how busy it was during 1/2 term as I was expecting it to be a little quiter as the Italiens, Austrians, Germans didn't seem to have a half term and some of the skiing was downright dangerous - I got taken out once. If you can go when it's quiet it'll be great. I suspect the snow is better in March than Jan though.
snow report
johnseymour, good run that but the site of the only rock I saw on a piste all week unfortunately I only saw it as I rode over it Sad Easily reachable from Selva as part of an extended circuit.
ski holidays
pokemon, Disgusting photos, you should be ashamed to show such filth on this site! Twisted Evil

I enjoyed them though, some say I am depraved! wink
ski holidays
I've also long wanted to ski the Sella Ronda for a while now & all this talk has just further fuelled that interest.As a solo traveller I've found DIY generally cheaper, so as I'm Bristol based the best flight options would seem to be to Easyjet to Milan or Venice. Has anyone any recommendations for cheap travel from either of these airports to either selva or corvara ( both sound as though they have some life to them ), & can anyone suggest any hotels worth trying for a reasonably priced single room? My preferred time would be mid-late jan.
snow report
nickH, we flew from East Midlands to Venice Marco Polo on a Saturday in March this year and used the dolomitistars transfer service to Arabba. See http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=36

Providing you book accommodation listed on their website you can take advantage of the transfer service. Unfortunately for you, none of the affiliated accommodation is in Selva or Corvara, which I found especially strange as Corvara is just round the corner. I thought I would mention it as the cheap transfer price may influence your decision of resort.

It cost us 29 Euros return each. According to the website this is 31 Euros return each, this year. There is a desk in the airport and they were very helpful in showing us to the coach and making sure everyone who had booked was present. The transfer was a little long at 3.5 hours but we had several stops to let people off at different resorts (Alleghe, Falcade etc) on the way to Arabba. It was a real find though as the service was excellent and a bargain price.

It goes twice a day on a Saturday and Sunday, so it may mean a little wait at the airport if your flight arrival/departure times are not close to the coach departure/arrival times.

My friend stayed in the Garni Blanc in a single room but this doesn't seem to be listed on the dolomitistars website this year. We used an independent tour operator based in Arabba to book our accommodation and transfer, who also sorted my friend out with the single room. PM me if you want her contact details, as she knows all the hotels and who does reasonably priced single rooms etc.
ski holidays
nickH, a company called Terravision do coach transfers from Bergamo, Verona, Treviso & Venice airports to Selva and Cortina with a secondary transfer from these to Corvara. The winter timetable isn't posted yet but I'm pretty sure they've offered it in previous years, though I've never used it personally.
latest report
nickH, you can do an accommodation search on the official South Tyrol Tourism website. Just input your dates, duration, room for 1 person and bear in mind that Selva is in Val Gardena and Corvara comes under the Alta Badia holiday area. Some places are even bookable online. The only thing you can't do is sort the results by price.
latest report
pokemon, luigi, thanks both, some great leads there, now for some happy time on the keyboard ( not my strength ) checking them out further !!
ski holidays
Help - first time on Snowheads. Am off to Canazei at Feb HT with 10, staying at Albergo Denise. Anyone know it? Flying to Venice Marco Polo. Can't find any reasonable transfers. Anyone any ideas - can't use Dolomitistars as booked direct. Trying terravision. Puzzled
snow conditions
Hi AlistairS, There is a winter "Fly Ski Shuttle" service between Marco Polo and Val di Fassa which is very cheap but I think there is only one bus in each direction on Saturday and on Sunday http://www.trentinoviaggi.net/start.php?page=home&lang=EN. However, with 10 of you it might be worth getting a quote for a private bus from the Fly Ski shuttle or possibly better, for a minibus taxi http://www.fassa.com/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDCMS=32973&loc=0&cat=639 with the advantage that it would be waiting for you on arrival and drop you right at the door of your accommodation.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy