Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Credit Crunch?! Affecting YOUR SKIING?

Poster: A snowHead
Libertine, your guess is as good as anyones, but the trend this month has been downward.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh Dear Shocked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/aug/30/economy.alistairdarling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7589291.stm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article5076808.ece
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry if this is a numptie question but is it cheaper for me tio book a lift pass if i book through a tour operator rather than if i arrange a holiday DIY.
Embarassed

Also - are there any web sites worth looking at that help you to get hold of cheaper lift passes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The "credit crunch" has had an enormous effect on my season's skiing.

I saw it coming, sold a "spare" horse, sold my house & am able to pick off the ski-wear bargains on ebay plus get paid in shiny euros. Bring it on! Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton,

Do you really believe EC reports on economics (shame on the Times for giving this credibility)??? lol from the people who banned bannana's that were too bendy Shocked PWC, FT, OECD (and the treasury although they will not publicly admit it)view is that UKs growth will be 0.9% this year, -0.8% for 09 with growth recovering to 1% in 2010. Not a catclysm, we should get away with only 3-4 Qs of contraction compared to early 90's when we had 10! As we have not had a reccession in the UK for 16 years we should be thankful its not worse. Flexible employment laws should mean that although unemployment might nudge 2m for a Q or 2 it should fall rapidly thereafter....being able to sack staff easily has the upside of being able to hire them just as easily when you need to. Unfortunatly France and Germany have higher public debt than the UK and much less flexible emplyoment laws combined with high levels of corperate taxation, not a good combination in a global slowdown.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the contrary, the French & German populations don't spend every weekend trawling out of town shopping centres for sparkly sh*te.

Shame on you Jim Searle for not having a clue what's going on within the Eurozone and buying the crap your government is churning out. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimSearle,

I think JK Galbraith said that in the run up to a depression The government will be telling you that the growth will be just around the corner in the figures or words to that effect.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra,

Check your figures, yes we have high personnel debt credit cards etc but the french and german governments have higher government debt ie what the government borrows to fund the difference between tax reciepts and spending. Am pretty well informed on what is going on in the eurozone as its is my job to be so wink If you dont fancy doing a quick economics degree at say LSE then a quick weekly scan of the economist will prob get you up to speed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.steuerzahler.de/webcom/show_softlink.php/_c-33/i.html

http://cluaran.free.fr/dette.html

UK National Debt is at 38% of GDP (although rising!) which is currently the lowest in the G7 and OECD bar Canada. US is at 72.5% and both France and Germany are above 60% (France significantly if you include the many state owned or state controlled enterprises...roughly 66%). Although I do agree that most Govts do try and manipulate the stats to there benefit our are reasonably opaque, thanks largely to a reasonably independant civil service. As for Italy and Japan both well over 100%!!!! But then there are lies damn lies and the statistics!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimSearle,
I thought the figures were over 40% and failed to include pfi's and probably a lot more importantly public sector pension liabilities?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, This is true.

Perhaps our Govt can't afford to tell the truth about the carnage we should expect in 09 and beyond... most publically quoted companies will be posting poorer results, shareholders will demand action, heads will roll, suppliers will be strangled etc etc. Knock on effect takes time to filter through but, when it finally does, the dole queue will grow and recovery in the real economy will be a long way off. This time around the dole queue will be full of previously well-paid, intelligent, talented people... I know - spent yesterday helping a pal look at CVs and I was staggered by the quality of applicants going after a lower paid position. Fact is that such people are unlikely to post on here about how wonderfully unemployed they are and how their kid's school fees can't be paid.

The public sector is too big and too expensive also. Next budget should be interesting. Before anyone jumps at me, I don't think there is such a thing as "talking up a recession" as economies are just too massive and slow-moving and dictate their own course. Interesting how the media talked it up and are now talking it down but makes no difference. I do think, however, there is such a thing as sticking your head in the sand and pretending that things aren't going to be that bad. They might be. EVERYONE I know is being more cautious in all areas of spending (including ski trips) and EVERY business I know is looking very hard at the payroll, offices, expenses, advertising etc etc. Good companies will emerge leaner and fitter, bad ones will go to the wall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dpends what you count, if you count NR and B&B yes, but they are non perminant disposable assets on the balance sheet so its a bit tricky, if you count then then we are mid 40's. Public liabilities are not counted as they are an estimate of what we will have to spend not what we are spending now so better termed as future liabilities. Am not saying UK is a land of milk and honey just that its not as bad as the daily mail would have you believe and after 16 years of growth we are all a LOT richer than we are in 92. A bit of belt tightening is not a reason to belive we are headed towards a depression and Govts and Central Banks have a considerably large financial arsennal than they did back in the 30's. Not the mention the amount of accademic study that most economists have done on the great depression puts us in quite a good possition to understand what went wrong in 1929-30 and thus how not to make the same mistakes again. Although not saying that there are no unkown unkowns out there waiting to bight us on the butt!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller,

I disagree, most UK companies are not carrying much extra flab, those that were died in 91 -92, what I think we must remeber is that when you see a headline profits dive 30% you have to remember that most FTSE 100 are still making a profit, this was not the case in 92 and nor was it in 81. UK industry is not in reccession beacuse it is uncompetitive as it was in 92 and 81 it is in a reccession because a complete lack of credit has acted in a similar way to the oil shocks of the 70's and changed the operating environment for most companies (that rely quite reasonably on a credit stream).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimSearle wrote:
http://www.steuerzahler.de/webcom/show_softlink.php/_c-33/i.html

http://cluaran.free.fr/dette.html

UK National Debt is at 38% of GDP (although rising!) which is currently the lowest in the G7 and OECD bar Canada. US is at 72.5% and both France and Germany are above 60% (France significantly if you include the many state owned or state controlled enterprises...roughly 66%). Although I do agree that most Govts do try and manipulate the stats to there benefit our are reasonably opaque, thanks largely to a reasonably independant civil service. As for Italy and Japan both well over 100%!!!! But then there are lies damn lies and the statistics!

Yes but country's like Germany France, Japan have far higher savings rates which makes it easier to finance the debt, 90% of Japanese debt is owned by Japanese individuals.
snow report
JimSearle,
Quote:

Public liabilities are not counted as they are an estimate of what we will have to spend not what we are spending now so better termed as future liabilities.

Mmm BT shareholders seem to think they count for something.
I am not an economist but every time someone is employed for a year I would have thought that a liability is accrued that can be calculated with reasonable accuracy by an actuary.

PS Back on topic I suspect I will be doing a bit of belt tightening next season and skiing less.
snow conditions
JimSearle, the real credit crunch hasn't started yet though. The elephant in the room is something called Credit Default Swaps http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1723152,00.html - when this baby implodes we'll really be in the pooh.
snow report
JimSearle wrote:
Alexandra,
If you dont fancy doing a quick economics degree at say LSE then a quick weekly scan of the economist will prob get you up to speed.

It's my opinion that those who studied the Chicago School of Economics got us a deep way in to this mess... as for the Economist... it reads as though written by 6th formers. As for it being your job - good luck with that - I know enough bankers who haven't a danny. Laughing
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Alexandra, T Bar,

Sorry to be an informed optimist, maybe if those chicago folk had economics degrees from LSE they would not have come unstuck wink Most of then dont seem to understand economics at all hence the "market failure". BTs pension liability is very different, the state pays its pensions out of current income (tax) ie our pension conrtributions pay todays pensionsers. Most companies invest in schemes where the money form those contibuting is in one way or another invested in the stockmarket so pensions are paid from investments not current income. Although BT may have a black hole from its days of being state owned, not sure as former state monopolies are not my area of expertise. And am far too smart to be a banker Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
stanton,

Again depends what you count as savings.....if you count pensions contributions (which most think is pretty reasonable as its the most tax efficient way of saving long term) the UK is pretty near the top of the pile. The French and Germans have a horrific pensions black hole! As for who owns the debt most British Govt 5 and 10 year bonds are purchased by youve guessed it our pension companies, so in effect we finance our own governments borrowing, youve got to love our capitalist economics!
latest report
JimSearle,

Not being an accountant or an economist I probably don't understand it properly. I would be very grateful to know why an obligation from the government to pay back a bond to a pension company in 10 years is a liability whereas an oligation to pay a state employee his pension 10 years hence is not.
snow conditions
I don't really understand the nitty gritty of economics but back to the original question and the answer is yes! I'm still going on a skiing holiday (I fought my inner urge to be sensible and won!) but I have pretty much stopped all unnecessary expenditure in case I am facing redundancy number five. Yawn...
snow report
JimSearle,
Quote:

PWC, FT, OECD (and the treasury although they will not publicly admit it)view is that UKs growth will be 0.9% this year, -0.8% for 09

They seem to have revised their projections. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2008/update/03/index.htm
snow report
They have indeed
snow report
But the sky has not fallen in and they have done exactly the correct thing wink snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

Although I do agree that most Govts do try and manipulate the stats to there benefit our are reasonably opaque, thanks largely to a reasonably independant civil service.

Oh dear. The time I spent helping to recruit Fast Stream Statisticians seems to have been wasted; we hoped they'd produce transparent statistics.

I'm not an economist and I struggle to understand why, if the eurozone public finances are in such a terrible state as some people keep telling us, their currency has appreciated against ours pretty steadily since it was born (when I bought enough euros at 1.62 to the pound to buy my high quality ski apartment for £76K). Puzzled

There are some comments above, and in other threads suggesting that "this recession" really isn't so bad after all. That's a bit like saying, after 6 weeks of pregnancy "Look, I've hardly put on any weight".
latest report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7715604.stm

Our (UK) 1Q of negative growth seems pretty good compared to germany which is staring a 3Q of negative growth in the face Shocked Unfortunatly if the Germans have another long reccession that will be bad for everyone in Europe.
snow conditions
JimSearle,

The IMF projection in the link above is for UK to do worse then Germany 2008+9.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee wrote:
I have just handed in my resignation last week to retire early.

What happened to the animated 'Saint' stick man that used to appear at the bottom of your posts ?

Has he been pensioned off ? Or is there a stick man in Chennai that works cheaper ?
ski holidays
Latchigo,

The moderator issued a dead warrant insisting I should murder the 'Saint' stick man.

I plead guilty your honour.
ski holidays
Hi Everyone

Looking to join a group, not fussed which country, would prefer chalet and someone else doing the cooking!

Flexible with dates except wk cmm 7 March as my work collegue already nabbed that week for skiing.

I am 46 and am happy to share a room to keep costs down.

Enjoy skiing but have lost confidence so really only reasonable on blues, used to be able to do reds but now struggling.

Really want to take my time and build up confidence. Very easy going and I go with the flow, whatever group wants to do I tend to go along with.

Want to travel from any London airport.

If you think I fit the bill contact me.
snow conditions
kimhelen1, Welcome to snowHead . I seem to recall seein posts on nervous lady skiers get together at L2A. Try a search.
snow report
kimhelen1, welcome to snowHeads. I think that more people are likely to see your post if you start a new thread ('Trips' seems to be the correct forum) and, in the meantime, HERE is a link to the thread which Lechbob is referring to, and which shows that there is space in the week beginning the 15th. But I think folks are staying in a hotel.
ski holidays
I've been having trouble with bumps today, but not sure the credit crunch is to blame!

Bad I know, but nowhere near as bad as Lizzard's damascene conversion joke
ski holidays
Making a few cutbacks with it due to the exchange rates but I'm still going as much as I can!
snow report
it is not the credit crunch it is the exchange rate that really effects things
snow conditions
Quote:

it is not the credit crunch it is the exchange rate that really effects things

but there's a connection....
snow conditions
Im going to get abslutely violated by the exchange rate when I head off in a week or so... Sad

heres a question: Im off for 2 months, should I swap my pounds to euros now? or exchange as I go?
ski holidays
gorillamanjac, anyone who knows the answer to that question could get very rich. Personally, I'd exchange as I go, but not for any good reason. Where are you off to?
snow report
Staying in arc 2000 for 2 months (although Im missing the first 5 days... and I alreaddy paid accomodation Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy