Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Montalbert La Plagne Villaroger Paradiski Challenge

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, Toofy Grin Very Happy how exactly will we verify times ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
redrunmarcus, Honesty, unless anyone comes up with something better, we did talk about restaurant receipts or digital photos of the lift clocks each end but both are not especially accurrate
and it is for fun after all Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1hr 5 minutes, did it yesterday Very Happy .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Good to hear that your aching back didn't slow you down Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are we allowed a "timed" beer stop???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimW, I must check that out, although I have never cross country skied!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unfortunately have never been to Villaroger- however do know Espace Killy well so Le Fornet to Les Brevieres sounds interesting! Would definitely be faster to do it that way round than from Les Brevieres to Le Fornet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, sorry to dash hopes - my poor communications style - its a company event, and the teams are from all the business units from around the world - some of them are semi-professional, and iirc represent their countries in international adventure racing.
So much for the little people.

Last summer, the team from my office were told they needed to be fit enough " to run a half marathon". On their return they were talking about the Trade's Description Act and misrepresentation...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just seen this, and as I'll be in Les Arcs in March '09 it sounds like a bit of a laugh to have a go. Very slow lifts though if you start at Villaroger, I'll have to look carefully at best direction to cross.

Just one thought. What about the time slot booking system at the Vanoise washing line? Should the clock be stopped for the crossing, making it a combined duration of the times to cross the Arcs side and the Plagne side? Or will it just be additional time on your total if you arrive early for your crossing and have to wait (incintive then to time your arrival at Vanoise on the dot of your slot)?

Think I can guess the answer, but it's one more question that can be sorted out for the avoidance of doubt.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jmdohanlon wrote:
Just seen this, and as I'll be in Les Arcs in March '09 it sounds like a bit of a laugh to have a go. Very slow lifts though if you start at Villaroger, I'll have to look carefully at best direction to cross.

Same problem at the other end apparently Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jmdohanlon, Time elapsed. FWIW I have never queued for more than a few mins for the VE, or heard of a time slot booking system Confused So it's total time elapsed.

Frosty the Snowman, Local knowledge is all wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, Haven't used the Vanoise myself yet, so have been going on comments of others - but I believe for the Day Trippers with a ski pass that allows one day across in the other half of Paradiski there were plans for a time slot system. Probably to prevent everyone turning up at the same times - beginning and end of the day. Maybe it has been dropped in light of experience?

Anyway, total time across from one end to t'other it is then. I'll need to start waxing my skis soon to get some really good speed from them. Anyone got some downhill race skis I can borrow?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 9-08-08 16:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin me and a couple of others will have to give this a try over the new year week

any idea roughly how long it will take, is it 3-4 hrs or more like 6-8 hrs?

also how long/far is the drive to Vilaroger to get to the starting gate Very Happy if we are staying in Montalbert ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can the guys who did it on "Top Gear" join in (1950- Villaroger I know), if so there's no point in anyone else posting a time if your point of view is "it's not the taking part but the winning that counts" NehNeh
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, come on man - ski there and then ski back!
snow conditions
I reckon without too many lift Q's 2 1/2 - 3 hours (one way) would be considered a respectable time, but by no way a winning time.

Agree the only fair way to time would be a return journey starting from either starting point. This would sort the Men from the Boys.

V.E. only ever Q's first and last thing which will not apply if starting from far end of resort's.
ski holidays
jmdohanlon wrote:
Roger C, come on man - ski there and then ski back!

fair enough but i have no idea how far it is from one end of the paradiski area to the other, do you know how it compares with say Courchevel 1650 to Val Thorens?
snow conditions
Roger C,

heres a link to the Paradiski Piste map, to give you some idea. There and back in the day is easily do-able.

http://www.lesarcs.com/IMG/jpg/paradiski_08.jpg
snow report
Roger C, I done this in January but didnt time it rolling eyes I was doing it fairly leasurly and stopped off for a bottle of wine and had plenty of time to hit the snow park. Unless you are really slow, you wont have any probs getting there and back in a day. The race is only one way though right?

Should do similar races in other large resorts.
snow report
Quote:

Should do similar races in other large resorts.

Les Deux Alpes to La Grave and back Twisted Evil
latest report
Val Thorens to Courchevel 1600 and back Shocked
latest report
Swirly, Boredsurfing, whatever resort you go to, clock a time bottom left to bottom right of the pist map and start a new thread for others to challenge.
snow report
Boredsurfing, surely this is the 3 valleys equivalent?

The challenge is a great idea for a bit of fun throughout the season btw.
snow conditions
Swirly, I saw that, I had to sit down with a cold beer just looking at it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
for cycling, there is a "map my ride" site, maybe if could find sommit similar for piste maps, could design decent routes for people to follow wit a time to beat.
latest report
Libertine, with the The Villaroger Challenge 2008/9 part of the fun will be working out the route/which lifts to use. For instance on the LP side there is a choice of several routes / lifts to use, one choice I am mulling over is a longer disatance on the ground BUT a much faster lift against a slower lift and a shorter distance on the ground.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, no such conundrums in La Ros; they are all slow Toofy Grin
snow report
Fr0sty the Sn0wman wrote:
Boredsurfing, no such conundrums in La Ros; they are all slow Toofy Grin

Someone mentioned the same about Les Arcs Toofy Grin [ducking and running]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Libertine, with the The Villaroger Challenge 2008/9 part of the fun will be working out the route/which lifts to use. For instance on the LP side there is a choice of several routes / lifts to use, one choice I am mulling over is a longer disatance on the ground BUT a much faster lift against a slower lift and a shorter distance on the ground.

MMMMMmmm if that lift is a drag lift then not fair to us boarders Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mouth,
Quote:

MMMMMmmm if that lift is a drag lift then not fair to us boarders

shh! those drags are my secret weapon Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, how about get uo high and then come down the Bellcote N. face? Avoids waiting for the cable car (and would have been the only way to post a time last season) Laughing
snow report
Swirly, ooh no, much to scary Laughing But I know a man who probably will snowHead
snow conditions
Swirly, I will thrash the pants off you. Montalbert, Aime, BsM, Villaroger Very Happy

The new lift from LP 1800 will make a big difference when it is in.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I doubt it would be quicker, the lifts up to the glacier are pretty slow compared to the arpette chair and the pistes with some cut throughs are bound to be quicker than the off piste route. Kind of makes me want to visit Paradiski this winter.
latest report
Fr0sty the Sn0wman, of course you will I'm not going to be able to post a quick time from Les Deux Alpes!
snow report
Fr0sty the Sn0wman, err no, it will lengthen the journey imho! It only goes from the Centre end of 1800 up to Melezes (which will be taken away). Then a new lift takes you almost to the top of colosses Shocked
snow report
Boredsurfing, yes but it takes away the 90 minute walk accross Plagne Centre wink
snow conditions
A time in January should have some advantages I hope..................................on a Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
redrunmarcus, Yes but you won't be there! You will be en route to Geneva or Lyon!

BTW did you read my news???
ski holidays
Mouth, No what news?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy