Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Just got in from St anton. Perfect weather today, brilliant sunshine and very cold. Minus 13 in my car first thing this morning. Went to Rendl for the first time. very nice.

We were pondering on the purpose of the large boards with coloured romboids situated around the hills. They look like some target or radar reflector. We thought they were something to do with heli landing zones, but they seem to be in odd places.

Anyone know what they are
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevev, am going to St Anton next Sunday. What's the snow like at the mo on and off piste?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It looked great to me. Loads of it. I don't do off piste, but I did a few of the alpine routes and they had lots of snow cover.

I went up Valluga and did the alpine off there, route 15, it is about the most I could manage, some of the drops of the side of it were too mogully and bumpy for me.

I am off to Ischgl next weekend.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevev, ah good thanks for that!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another thing that suprised me. There were no queues even though it was quite busy.

The only time I queued all day was for the Valluga cable car, that was for 10mins, but worth it for the view.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No queues because no people . Credit crunch is effecting St Anton & other resorts in Austria. Cancellations are MASSIVE.

Snow on the Valluga (off piste) is skiable but the snowdepth is not good for skibases Very Happy There is not much snow up there hence why they did not open until Xmas Eve (only because of the tourists).

A good storm will sort it all out. Feb & March will do that....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, well I hope it has a good old snow before the 18th because I was hoping to go off piste with Piste to Powder when I'm out there on 18th-25th Jan.

Is Feb usually a busy month like it is in the French Alps?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stanton, well I hope it has a good old snow before the 18th because I was hoping to go off piste with Piste to Powder when I'm out there on 18th-25th Jan.

Is Feb usually a busy month like it is in the French Alps?

They have been taking people off -piste the last couple of weeks (although I seen them on -piste as well). They can only be skiing the bashed out Powder from the last dandruff (31st Dec) but I doubt they will find any decent fresh powder within reasonable hiking distance. You would need a helicopter.
In anycase the base is not that deep , there are many rocks off piste.

You maybe in luck, next week (20th) there could be some snow. If its a huge dump it will be to dangerous as it will be a new layer on solid ice.

February is Kids holidays & Fasching but judging by the occupancy numbers at New Year I think it will be allot quieter this year.

Kidss Holidays are 15th February>>>

Fasching (Carnival) in 2009 Tuesday 24th December
Faschingsdienstag Di 24. Februar
The week/weekend before the 24th is normally busy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5,

Hopefully Stanton's forecast is wrong, however he is the man in residence in St A. Hopefully the low pressure weather system that is now here in the UK will have enough strength to deposit snow over the Alps or at least move the high pressure system from over the Alps.

I haven't booked my off piste guide for next week yet because I will only do so if there is good snow off piste. Have you already booked with Piste to Powder?

I don't want to spend all of my time in the Mooserwirt next week, although there are worse places to be.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer, no I haven't booked up yet either, I have enquired about availability only for the time being for one day during my week out there just to see what they had going. Like you I will only book up if there is good snow off piste, I was going to wait until I got there and had a look what the snow is like first especially as I've not been to St Anton before. Hopefully like you say, the low pressure weather system here in the UK might influence a bit of snow over in the Alps, trouble is, if it suddenly dumps it down like stanton says, it can go the other way and be too dodgy.

Where are you staying in St Anton next week?

stanton, thanks a lot for the info.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5,

I'm staying with Mark Warner up the hill in Nasserein. How about you where are you staying.

I'm going with 2 couples. I don't know what level 3 of them are and therefore may not be skiing with them. I'll also be catching up with another good skier I know who will be in St Anton next week. It will be my 7th trip to St Anton in the last 9 years.

If you can ski all colour of pistes comfortably (I assume you can as you're looking at off piste) then you're welcome to join me/us. I/we know the area fairly well. Most of the piste skiing is in Lech & Zurs. Last year we skied in Lech/Zurs for 2 days, a day in Sonnenkopf and a day off piste. PM me with your details if you'reinterested in joining us. We're all over 40.

I have been using mountain guides from The Powder Club (part of the Arlberg Ski School). One guide I will be contacting in St A may now be working independently now. I won't be skiing off piste unless there is a good new snowfall because I don't like walking for hours for a 10/20 minute descent.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshflyer wrote:
I'll also be catching up with another good skier I know who will be in St Anton next week. It will be my 7th trip to St Anton in the last 9 years.

Not sure if you are referring to me there? In any case I would be very happy to hook up with other like minded skiers as currently I am solo. This will be my 7th week in St Anton staying in a B&B next to the Galzigbahn from 16-26th Jan.

I emailed Piste to Powder yesterday as I would like to do around 4-5 days with them, obviously depending on snow conditions....have not heard from them yet. I was planning to ski Saturday by myself and then check in with PtP on Sunday for a look. btw do they do half days?

Would be great if we could organise a group for freeskiing if snow conditions don't work out for guiding.

Time for some pm'ing.

See you there.
Markus
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowman,

Hi Markus,

I wasn't refering to you but I would be happy to meet. I will be arriving Sunday noon. Send me a PM to exchange contact details.

The others I know aren't Snowheads (as far as I am aware).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All,

Got back yesterday from a week in St Anton. We were lucky and had blue skies each day, and the temps managed to hold themselves up in the sunshine.

Snowfall is needed badly, as off piste is crud, and some of the trails have rock and shrubs coming through. On piste however is fine, as canons are on and in the main there is ample snow coverage. Does get Icy in the afternoons, but we had a fab time all round. Lech seemed to have the better snow, and in Zurs we did actually find some snow soft enough to play with.

If you're going over soon, don't worry. I'll happily swap with you!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im out of town until they get a decent dump, Im getting bored with constant blue skies & sunshine although I appreciate its perfect ski weather for fair weather skiers.

You can check the weather outlook here

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/st-anton-am-arlberg

Forgot to mention

This season because of the serious downturn/cancelaltion in bookings. The tourist office is offering long weekends & Midweek deals witht he pensions, hotels etc.
I think it Thurs to Monday & Monday to Thursday
ski holidays
thatmanwoody, thanks for the update on the conditions there. Hopefully snow is on it's way then to make things better for the off piste.

For those going out to St Anton within the next week, welshflyer, snowman, this forecast is looking a bit more promising, it mentions snow on Sunday 18th Jan. Hopefully the snowfall will carry on for a few more days hey snowHead snowHead

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/top
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/bot

welshflyer,
Quote:

I'm staying with Mark Warner up the hill in Nasserein. How about you where are you staying?

I'm staying at the Rosanna, also Mark Warner, in the centre of town. If you are arriving Sunday at noonish and are flying from Gatwick to Friedrichshafen with Mark Warner then we will be on the same flight I expect. Thanks a lot for the offer of joining you guys for a ski. I will PM you.

snowman, thanks for your PM you sent me yesterday. I will reply shortly.
ski holidays
Edited to remove triple posting

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-01-09 17:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Edited to remove triple posting

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 13-01-09 17:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, you getting a bit excited there, posting three times.
snow conditions
stanton, why are you down a crevasse. are you purposly avoiding pm's.
snow report
stevev, Laughing my computer froze/internet connection was on a go slow as I clicked submit-not sure what happened there! Now edited out. Very Happy
latest report
I thought you were just excited about the snow.
snow report
stevev, I hope there is going to be snow to get excited about!
snow report
This weekend looks promising.

I am off to Ischgl on Saturday, then maybe Rendl Klettersteig on Sunday
ski holidays
stevev wrote:
stanton, why are you down a crevasse. are you purposly avoiding pm's.

What PM ?

Anyway, Nothing big is happening this weekend , just dandruff (which you can get anytime), There will be no major snow before the end of this month.
ski holidays
stanton, your account is refusing PM's because you are marked as down a crevasse as your e-mail is apparently invalid.

See the status under your name on the left of your messages
snow conditions
stevev wrote:
stanton, your account is refusing PM's because you are marked as down a crevasse as your e-mail is apparently invalid.

See the status under your name on the left of your messages

Dont know why that is. I get messages in my email from snowhead admin & I recently had PM's.
snow report
sounds odd

Down a crevasse means your email address is invaild and you should replace it with a working one before your account is suspended.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the snow report just on the Beeb sounds like there may be some snow on Sun evening, and maybe Monday. Hope so, as I'm there for the coming week (skiing Sun..Sat). I'm booked in for the whole week with Piste to Powder, and will have my skins with me, so with a bit of luck they should be able to find something for us.
ski holidays
Just dandruff.
snow report
Fohn wind from the south Monday

Snow in the Forecast for Tuesday & Wednesday
ski holidays
perfect day today, I passed StAnton on the way to Ischgl. The weather was perfect all dat, cold and sunny. No sign of the snow that was forecast for Saturday evening or Sunday, sounds like it is delayed.

What doe a Fohn wind do ? does it mean a warmer day
snow conditions
There was never any snow in forecast for Saturday or Sunday.

Fohn wind is warm winds from the south (mediterranean, africa, sahara) expect above zero temperatures probably up high as well (2000M )

Normally after a Fohn (Monday) it is followed by a drop in temp & snow storm Very Happy , probably start out as rain (Tuesday,Wednesday) Very Happy
snow conditions
stevev,

Unfortunately Foehn winds are not Fun for either skiing or flying.
latest report
Top of Kapall first thing in the morning before the public, Nice ey ? Very Happy

This illustrates how the economic crisis is hitting the Arlberg. This is the Hospiz Alm in St Christoph & was taken January 8th at 13:00 . Normally this terrace would be full.

snow report
As forecast. Its Dumping. 30cm in town 50+cms on Galzig continue snowing today & tomorrow Very Happy but the Fohn will be back on Thursday Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-01-09 15:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stanton, If I come into a lot of money then the Hospiz Alm will be my 1st port of call.
latest report
We had Christmas lunch in Hospiz Alm down in St Christof, fabulous place with a slide down to the loo and a very extensive and expensive wine list....from around 40 euros all the way up to 8,900 euros a bottle!!

Frosty the Snowman, you need lots and lots.....
snow report
Snowed another 30cm up to lunchtime and still snowing...
latest report
POWDER Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy