Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg 2008/2009

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, was dumping hard today & this evening its still snowing not sure if the system will last like they expected but whatever, POW tomorrow

Off Piste on Rendl I would not recommend , there is not enough snow there. North Face is probably Ok but I never ski that this early. Folk, guides are but htere under pressure and probably(certainly) do not know the history at this time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, how is the piste cover for us mere mortals on the slopes?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pistes perfect.

It has been Dumping all night & still coming down probably allday & tomorrow Very Happy all lifts higher up closed.

For those interested. There is new Hotel being built right at the base of Nasserein in front of the Fang Bar. It will be ready Summer 2009. Its designed by the same people who did the Anton Hotel/Bar. It will have a large Apres Ski Bar.

http://www.arlmont.at/

Update 16:45

Epic Powder day

Temp gone up in valley to +2C this is good to compact the base. Snow has paused for now but more on the way Sunday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In town tonight its raining hard, most of the snow on the town streets has washed away. I expect it to freeze in town during the night with fresh snow in the morning.
Up on the hill it is Dumping bigtime. Sunday will be another epic POWderday however, I doubt any of the higher lifts will be operating.

I heard reports that tonight Stuben is getting "to much" snow if that is possible Very Happy

I dont recall it being this good pre-xmas in the last 15yrs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, sound horrible! if the lifts are closed tomorrow can you arrange for them all to be open on Monday for an epic POWder week please snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nells,

There is no POW in Europe wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rain allnight in town. St Anton is right on the freeze level, still dumping hard on the hill.

Level 4 Avalanche, there currently bombing the hill & lifts are on hold. Wet slides throughout the region

http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/lawine/lageberichte/LLBTirol_en.pdf
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks. Warm Fohn today. Semi overcast. going to be warm tomorrow then the temp is going to drop alot !!

Loads of folk in town although the German & Austrians (from other parts) are heading home for Xmas tomorow. Tomorrow night is closed, a few very limited places are open for folk who have allready reserved.

Everywhere is reporting a serious downturn in business.

Jan 1st NO SMOKING in all Restaurants over 70M2 (include KK & Mooserwirt) weather they control or implement is another thing, although in the papers they say they will

Hazienda, Museum , Undeground & other restaurants are allready smoke free.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perfect conditions today. Blue sky, sunny, colder this afternoon.

Possible Snow tomorrow (Xmas Day) turning much colder next few days -10C.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking good for New Year then...?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark, not for smokers...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27, ha HA! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark, It's always good in that part of the world - it is without doubt the snow capital of the alps (i go in March! Very Happy )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This season New Year is cancelled. Lift workers are on strike for 3 days. Its possible it maybe called off Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Awesomeness. Hiking's what I like best. Plus I invented a new word. Awesomeness Very Happy
latest report
Ok folks, pretty much perfect snow conditions today. Not many people about. Mixed air i.e Fog,Sun,etc. Cold wrap up its getting colder Very Happy

All change tomorrow , silly season starts, folk will be piling into town for Sylvester week. Rip-off prices (watch you change) and zero attitude are the norm of the day Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
If you haven't heard yet an American was wiped out in an avalanche on North Face Valluga yesterday.

http://tt.com/tt/home/story.csp?cid=1462849&sid=57&fid=21

http://www.vol.at/news/vorarlberg/artikel/lawinenabgang-in-zuers-ein-toter/cn/news-20081224-02060229/gemeinde/lech

First reports said a British Guide was killed & another burried. Im not sure of all the details.

Anyway, yesterday it was 3>>4 Avi Level . You take your choices ..............
snow conditions
According to both those reports the Avi level was 2, not 3-4!
Quote:
Zum Unfallzeitpunkt hatte Lawinenwarnstufe zwei geherrscht
The person who was killed was a 28 year old American from New York, not a Brit as originally reported.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
According to both those reports the Avi level was 2, not 3-4!
Quote:
Zum Unfallzeitpunkt hatte Lawinenwarnstufe zwei geherrscht
The person who was killed was a 28 year old American from New York, not a Brit as originally reported.

Its been 3/4 all last week its still 3 above 2000M which is "considerable"

http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/lawine/lageberichte/LLBTirol_en.pdf

Quire bizarre how many ski bums here are completely oblivious or have no idea about this slide.

We had some dandruff lastnight that turned out to be a very nice Powder in Zurs today Very Happy

Bitterly Cold now.

I have also heard from a credible source that many Hotels,Chalets & Bars here in St Anton could be in some considerable trouble before next season & could well go out of business. Sad

There are 42 Skiworld employees (English Ski company) having a party at an establishment this evening who well maybe having there last ski season party for the forseable future...
latest report
Does that meanit will be easy to book rooms for a saturday night on season? I was worried places will only take weekly bookings
snow report
Was worried as reports were intially sayin a Brit (not an American) who was killed in the Zurs avalanche that the British outfit PistetoPowder might be involved, esp. as some later reports indicated that a British guide had been killed. However it appears from the latest information that it was a Ski guide from the Zurs ski School who was leading the group and only one person died.

Quote:

Mit Lawinenpieps ausgerüstet
Die achtköpfige Skigruppe, die von einem Skiführer der Skischule in Lech geführt wurde, war im Bereich Valluga Nord auf Tiroler Gebiet unterwegs. Gegen 14.00 Uhr riss in dem Gebiet auf einer Höhe von 2.800 Meter eine Lawine an. Ein 28-jähriger Tourengeher aus der Gruppe wurde von der Sturzlawine mitgerissen und blieb rund 600 Meter weiter unten in einer Schneetiefe von 1,20 Metern liegen.

Ein Skiführer und ein Pistenretter konnten den Wintersportler, der mit einem Lawinenpieps ausgerüstet war, nach etwa einer halben Stunde orten.

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/331099/
latest report
Yes it was an Austrain guide who is in big trouble. He was leading (or suppose to be) a group of six, unfortunatly the American bought it. Slides on the North Face are very rare but do happen & have claimed some famous locals in the past. However, skiing the Valluga North Face so early in the season is not normal. An experiecned guide with paying guests would not go there until at least February.
snow report
According to the link (in German) that I posted earlier - two other groups went across the same slope without problems first and the American who died was the second to last in his group of eight.
latest report
I saw yesterday 1 or 2 cm of fresh is expected for the Arlberg on the 31/1st. Any chance of this changing and we get some more?

I arrive this saturday and its looks like its going to be sunny and cold all next week. Some fresh on the weekend would really make the trip Very Happy
ski holidays
Maybe but generally it will remain sunny with little clouds. Yesterday there was a strong Fohn wind from the south. It will remaim around -3C-4C till the weekend.

Next week it turning much colder again -10-17C daytime !!

Pistes are in very good shape. Klosterle Sonnenkopf (free bus 90 from Hotel Stuebn Post) is in very good shape , lots of snow still lots off piste Very Happy

Generally much quieter than previous seasons at this time. Mooserwirt may appear to be crowded but from inside reports there no as full as usual & I would say thats true by the number of skis left outsideo only 1000 pairs where as normal you would expect 1500-2000.
latest report
I see Lech got 10cm overnight and St. Anton getting nothing. Hope alittle or a lot more falls through next week:) Cant wait to get out there!
ski holidays
coochiemudlo wrote:
I see Lech got 10cm overnight and St. Anton getting nothing. Hope alittle or a lot more falls through next week:) Cant wait to get out there!

Yes the dandruff we got turned out to very usefull New Years Day Powder. In Zurs at least 10cms all over, completely empty slopes !!

New Years Eve there were some idiotic ski bums jumping of the Schindler Chair (at the top). This is illegal & they could loose the re Liftpass without warning. Probbaly do not realise what serious danger they put the rest of lift passengers in. The chair recoil,backlash as they jump-off makes it possible for the cable to come of the pylon Sad Sad

Turning cold again -10C today in Stuben
ski holidays
Remaining very cold here. Allday Monday overcast, maybe some snow. Conditions on piste v-good.

All the holiday regulars have gone. Now its low season for the next few weeks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, do you think the conditions are better this year than last? Last year the Arlberg got major amounts of snow but on my two weeks there (late Jan in Oberlech and early March in St Anton) it hardly stopped snowing and therefore crappy visability. So whilst there is currently less snow than last year, are the skiing conditions better as the weather has been cold enough? Still got 8 weeks till we're off to Stuben and we can't wait
ski holidays
We had a fantastic week there- St Anton- over christamas. The early part of the week suffered from poor visibility but the snow was good, although the pistes were very busy, so much so that I spent a good portion of my time over in Rendl with my wife who is a very nervous skier at the best of times. The pistes in Rendl were relatively quiet in the most part and sunny. Which suited the wifey. We also got to Lech one day which again was busy but lovely pistes.
We had Christmas lunch in Hospiz Alm down in St Christof, fabulous place with a slide down to the loo and a very extensive and expensive wine list....from around 40 euros all the way up to 8,900 euros a bottle!!
Second half of the week it was wall to wall blue skies, just fabulous skiing apart from one morning when, leading our party down to a link between lifts some extremely large austrian/german chap decided to use me as brake to help him stop skiing and subsequently left me with a very sore ribcage which still hurts me now,, 10 days later!

All in all we hade a great week and I will definitley return as I did not ski everything and Gunnar is just brill in the Picadilly...

Greg
snow report
I've just come back from a week over New Year: stunning bluebird conditions every day and a welcome foot or so of fresh at the top on New Year's Day. It wasn't as busy as I was expecting it on the slopes, at KKs or the Mooserwirt or even in town (apart from NYE). It stayed fairly cold all week and the snow's in great condition for anyone heading out this week. The off-piste was a bit crusty in places although there were still pockets of powder about snowHead
ski holidays
I would say there is less snow but good allround cover.
I have not been off-piste (real) yet as i can still see rocks on the slopes of Rendl. People have been skiing Hinter Rendl & North Face Rendl but thats like a piste at the moment. Cold Temperatures & he snow canons are keeping the pistes perfect. Cannot see that changing this week very least. Dont expect much snow in January as its a low snow month.

Very cold today . -15C Very Happy

Some of the large Hotels in St Anton are reporting 20% cancallations.

Update. 14:30

Remaining around -12-15C rest of this week & sunny on the hill
ski holidays
Very quiet here. Business is down at least 50% .

A certain steak house opposite the Piccadilly did not have One single customer lastnight Sad

I went to the town hall to check out future plans. .

The whole block (Funky Chicken,Pommodoro,Platzl Bar & Pangratz Sportshop appartments) is approved for a new Hotel Development. Not sure when or if it will happen but if it does there will be at least 50 skibums out of a job.
snow conditions
no chan ge in the weather for the forseable future. Remaining cold, blue skies ,sunny. The snow guns are blowing allnight therefore the pistes remain perfect. Off Piste that was all bashed out 2-3 weeks ago however some nice bump runs instead now. You would have to go well away from any resort to find Powder now.

I dont expect any major snow rest of January. February it is likely we will have Major snow which is allways a problem as it closes most of the resort for 2-3 days.
latest report
The whole block (Funky Chicken,Pommodoro,Platzl Bar & Pangratz Sportshop appartments) is approved for a new Hotel Development. Not sure when or if it will happen but if it does there will be at least 50 skibums out of a job.[/quote]

Cant close Funky Chicken, Pommodoro or Platzl FFS. I've had so many good nights in all 3 venues, esp Funky Chicken. Also my brother in law will be in moarning if they close Platzl as it's one of the few venues that still sell Zipfer - can't believe that the Moos used to sell Zipfer but now sell that Forenburger crap
latest report
It looks like the Arlberg is missing out on the cold, snowy conditions that have hit a lot of Europe. Just photos of places like Milan and Paris covered in snow. Is there anybody on the ground in St Anton who provide an update on what happen / is happening?
snow conditions
Yes Im here. We have been stuck in High since the last decent snow (around 2-3 weeks ago) It is clear blue skies around -6C . Pistes are perfect although some folk think there a bit icy. The snow cannon crews have been doing a great job.

Last season 1st week January Zammermoosbahn clocked up 16000 passengers per day, this season it is 7500 Sad

New Rendlbahn is definitly happening this summer & "maybe" the connecting lifts to Kappl as well. The lift crews I know are going to find out more info. The roads have allready been made last summer.

The New Hotel on the site of Funky Chicken etc is an approved plan . Weather it will happen & they rebuild a new funky chicken, Platzl I do not know.

My comments about an up market UK ski company in big trouble that were deleted are apparently very true. Also a large Scandinavian company is in trouble.
snow report
stanton,

Has Griabli got live music back this year?

I'll be back in St A a week tomorrow. I'm hoping that the high pressure weather system that has been sitting over the whole of Europe (causing freezing temperatures here in the UK) is about to move and let in the low pressure systems to give us more snow where we want it.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

I dont expect any major snow rest of January.

I think you're probably right, however I'm expecting that there might some quite decent falls at the end of the month, nothing major like you said, but enough to give the valleys a good top-up.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
stanton,Has Griabli got live music back this year?

I am pretty sure Austrian Hannes "The keys" and his band have started playing there on Wednesdays & Fridays. I havent been in for a while.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy