Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New BASI Ski requirement for ISIA / ISTD

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone spot this? Greater than 17m radius for males, 15m radius for females. Think it's for the Teach and Tech modules.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, discussion here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, dont you have stocklis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems to me that anyone going for higher grade quals should have adequate control that there's no need to restrict ski radius on safety reasons Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, IIRC she has SL's they are a full FIS slalom ski .... I had some - great skis - my instructor bought them for his GF to help her pass instructor exams(he was a trainer) .... the SC is the detuned one - I have them.... Then there is the full FIS GS ski and a "cheater GS" ski - which I also have

They all have the racing graphite base and "race" edges... but the SC and the cheater GS are a little less stiff and different radius
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, I do radius is 16.3, however I had no intentions of using them for my ISIA! Was going to use my slalom skies. Half the trainers use slalom skis, so I assume they're all going to be using different skis too?! How annoying!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, you have the SC?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, yup you were right, I also have the salomon FIS slalom skie and I love them! I like my Stocklis too but more for ripping up the piste and variables, not the "refined" and accurate type of skiingyou're aiming for on a BASI course...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, Agreed ... SC and the cheater GS are great all around skis.... I prefer my Elan SLX for more precision skiing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When carvers first came out they banned skis smaller than 170 or something like that! Shocked I think you should be allowed to ski on what you normally ski on. I've always skied slalom skis and the idea of being forced onto GS skis seems ridiculous to me. My Zags are 14m radius and they're just about OK for short radius but hard work. (the Fischers are 11)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, totally agree. A lot of the trainers ski on slalom skis too! But now they should really practice what they preach... I wasn't planning on doing ISIA teach or tech next season, but I'm going to have rethink my skis - need to start training on the skis I'll be tested on! Up till now I've been using slalom skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

but I'm going to have rethink my skis

so what would you go for? wouldnt your stocklis at 16M fit the bill perfectly? why wouldnt you use those?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, because my short turns aren't great in them! I find my slalom skis a better all round ski for my personal performance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, your SL i am sure are better for short turns but are they >15M Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, no, which is why i'm not too happy about the rule change! I was thinking something a bit softer than the Stocklis and right at the 15m min rather than 16.3 might be better for me.
snow report
The Rossi Radical 9X on a 174 length has a radius of 16m!

If you were after Rossi's, you have to go to the world cup beast ski.

And what about us midget people!!??!!

Can quite see these ruffling a few peoples feathers!

Those of you that have looked at the BASI Salomon offer online, can you access all the bits on the table. For example, I can't access the Race Ski section plus the Anything Technical section. It is the same for me on Firefox and Internet Explorer.
ski holidays
snowaddict, same for me. For the bits I can access I realise there aren't many skis that meet the 15m radius requirement, certainly not in the length I'd want to buy!!
ski holidays
[quote="easiski"]When carvers first came out they banned skis smaller than 170 or something like that! :shock:

It was a minimum radius then too - I remember not being allowed to use my K2 4's on an (old) grade III course about that time.
latest report
While making no comment on the rules on radius the one point this does hit on is peoples reliance on sidecut to make the skis turn.
Back in the day I had 203 cm slalom skis (and thats not all that long ago)... On BASI courses often a day will encompass many things...shorts, longs, bumps, steeps etc (leading to the classic "short turns!!, but I 've got my GS skis on" moans).
Perhaps these rules may have the effect of refocussing people onto active rotary skills instead of just relying on sidecut...

Just a thought...
snow report
snowaddict, beanie1, re Salomon : Same here, only certain bits seem to be linked at the mo'
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
While making no comment on the rules on radius the one point this does hit on is peoples reliance on sidecut to make the skis turn.
Back in the day I had 203 cm slalom skis (and thats not all that long ago)... On BASI courses often a day will encompass many things...shorts, longs, bumps, steeps etc (leading to the classic "short turns!!, but I 've got my GS skis on" moans).
Perhaps these rules may have the effect of refocussing people onto active rotary skills instead of just relying on sidecut...

Just a thought...

Indeed, you totally have a point!

As much as I love carving, I still love good old fashioned turning too!

A friend and I sparked off a bit of a debate a couple of years ago at staff training about how some kids in the local race training had almost become totally brain washed in their own thoughts thinking that carving was the be all and end all. Some of the kids totally struggled to rotate their feet in some bog standard parallel turns.

My friend and I happened to meet up in Flaine this year and the same topic came up again, particularly as we watched people bomb down the hill at excess speed with little regard for others. My friend and I had great fun ski-ing down a couple of runs from top to botom doing good old short radius turns without carving!

People need to have lots of skills in their tool bag to tackle mountains, that is what I tell my clients.

Thanks for the info about the Salomon stuff too, glad it isn't just me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy