Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me that this bike riding lark is doing me good!!

Poster: A snowHead
I think a lot of the broad brushed measurements like waist size or BMI dont mean a whole lot due to differing body shapes/age but body fat % for your age gives me a pretty good indicator of how "out of shape" i am. I have always struggled with weight and at 46 when i get my body fat in the Green zone I am happy and <20% i am delighted. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so how do you calculate body fat (she said, having eaten a ton of peanuts watching the Olympic opening ceremony...)?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, i have one of those fancy weighing scales but you can estimate it pretty accurately from age, height waist etc. or using a calipers. there are links earlier in this thread....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, I looked at a thing using calipers.... how does a scales that you stand on replicate all that?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Body fat is a notoriously unreliable measure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, you probably right in that fat % is hard to measure accurately but at the end of the day what type of measurement do you use to define if a specific persons is obese, about right or overweight? I am no expert but fat % seems to me to be a more sensible universal target.

what measurement would you advocate? BMI, waist size or something else?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, waist to hip ratio has the best predictive value, and is considered the best current measure of intrabdominal obesity.

Body fat percentage either by calipers or by impedence is very unreliable, with huge variation in measurements.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, thanks, makes sense. do you have any links to charts or details on how to measure correctly and what is good or poor ratio is
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Body fat percentage either by calipers or by impedence is very unreliable, with huge variation in measurements.

sounds about right. I guess we're all trying to blind ourselves with science when in reality all we have to do is stand naked in front of a mirror Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I guess we're all trying to blind ourselves with science when in reality all we have to do is stand naked in front of a mirror Shocked

No, our perception of ourselves is unreliable as well. Thin people tend to see themselves as too fat, fat people tend to underestimate their size.

Waist to hip ratio's where it's at. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I'm afraid that I don't although measures of what's a good ratio is pretty easy to find.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, pam w, well that's my exercise plan of what I was doing down the gym down the swanny now I've broken my wrist! I was really enjoying going and doing my program as well Sad Sad Sad

I can't drive while this plaster is on, and my gym was about 15 minutes drive there and back as I live out in the countryside, there are no buses there and a taxi might be a bit pricey. I will have to resort to power walking for an hour each day (can't run at the mo because it jiggles my plaster!). It'll do me good to get out the house and get some fresh air anyway as I'll be sick of the house after not being able to go out as much for the next 2 months. What rotten luck.

Hopefully my plaster will be off in 6 weeks but I am going to fracture clinic on Monday morning so orthopaedics can take a look and let me know for sure if I need an operation or not. I wonder if, if I do have to have a little operation on it whether they will put a cast back on it afterwards while it heals and then it'll be another 6 weeks say until it eventually comes off second time? I'd have thought so or it's going to be uncomfortable. I'll see what they say on Monday anyway.

Never mind, could have been a lot worse. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, Once the wrist is beginning to knot you should be able to drive. It's pretty easy to drive one armed with swift stick changes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh.. easy if it's your right wrist that is broken.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, no it's my left that's broken-fortunately as I'm right handed mind you. It probably is do-able even with the left one broken by changing gear quickly with the right hand although it means taking your right hand off the steering wheel Shocked Shocked not very sensible.
I'm definitely not going to try in case I cause an accident and worse still kill someone. Just not worth the risk for the sake of being able to drive.

I'll just have to surf Snowheads all day and get some good books to read. Hopefully some power walks for an hour several times a week will keep my fitness up together and plus it's easy to eat less if it's a decent walk to the supermarket to begin with and I can only carry one shopping bag of shopping in my right hand.

Funny the things you learn to do one handed. Within a day I learnt how to button and unbutton jeans with one hand (normally a two hand procedure), put roll on deoderant on both sides with one hand and wash my hair led down in the bath with my arm in the air like a periscope so I don't get my plaster wet! Laughing wink

I will value the use of both my hands when I get them back.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, When my bro was in Oz he hired a car and witnessed the following which sums up succinctly the situation outlined above. A Brit couple had booked a driver to take them into the outback. They were sharing a car with an Aussie couple. The driver appeared and lo and behold.. he only had one arm. You could see the Brit couple looking worried and getting edgy but they wouldn't say anything. Then the Oz couple walked in. "Jeez mate... you ok to drive with one f**kin arm?" the bloke asked. The one armed chap immediately replied "Yeah, no worries... I'm used to it."

They all headed out happy.

Nuff said.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Just hold the wheel with your knees and change on the straights. Hat's off though if you don't feel safe doing that... half the damn accidents seem to be caused by people overestimating their abilities. If in doubt rein it in.
snow report
Scarpa, good story about the one armed bloke. It is amazing how people adapt within a very short period of time.

Hmmm re the driving. Shame I still haven't got my automatic company car and bought a manual car as went self employed last year. Yeah I'm sure I could do it like and am confident of me being able to do it, but thing is, if I did crash the car guess who would get the blame and I don't think the insurance covers you if you have a broken arm/wrist/leg and you have an accident driving. Like I say, imagine if you ended up killing someone or you knocked someone's dog down or something just for the sake of nipping down the gym. I would never forgive myself so I'll leave well alone. 6 weeks will whizz by anyway.

I'll just have to cag a lift here and there. Wish I could ride a bike but can't use the back brake or hold the handlebars with my left hand! What a bummer this is, still that's what can happen when you're a snowsports enthusiast. No worse than rugby injuries or athletics etc though. In a few weeks once the pain of moving my fingers and thumb has gone then I might be able to ride my bike then and gingerly use the front brake only. Of course then I've got the problem of what happens to this arm and the other one if I come off me bike! I don't think I'll risk it but we'll see.

Saw some assorted blokes in A&E on Thursday night with some injuries caused by them fighting, including a old chap in his 70's who had got tanked up and a more than a bit rowdy and got himself into a scrap. Fighting at that age even! I was surprised. Shocked
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Lordy... some people never seem to learn huh?

Permanent disabilities vs temp... yup... it's a different kettle of fish r.e. insurance companies... nice one on you thinking of the bigger picture.
snow conditions
Scarpa, well yeah. It's best to be sensible, as I say I'd never forgive meself if something went wrong.

It's just a pain getting shopping and stuff though, milk and things are heavy carrying back in one hand unless you buy just a pint of milk which is used up in a day. I've got a friend coming round to help me get a load of shopping from the supermarket next week, then him help me unload it, put it away etc. It's times like this you find out who your mates are. Little Angel

I think the trouble is with the older fellas with the drink on board, they forget that their brain/mind is fooling them into thinking they are 25 but their body just hasn't got the same capabilities as when they were 25. Very dangerous too fighting at that age, if someone had of been callous enough to give him a pasting for starting on them it could have killed him I expect. Oh dear. Glad my dad is placid and stays out of trouble, although he used to hold his own well enough in his day mind you, he never used to put up with any nonsense anyway from what I've gathered. Before my time though! Blush
ski holidays
I've always prefered talking my way out of things. I once sold a few tickets to a do that I had decided not to go to... which then closed it's doors early. A couple of the guys saw me later in a pub and asked for their money back... with a glass held to my throat. After a brief chat they then apologised and bought me a drink... RESULT Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa, flaming hell! Sounds like you had no option but to talk yourself out of that one. Could have turned very nasty indeed.

'Course when my dad was in his twenties and thirties it was the 60's and 70's so it was a very different time then and people mostly used their fists in occasional fights rather than knives/glasses/other nasty things that people use as weapons instead these days at a moment's notice it seems unfortunately. Shocked

Luckily I haven't been in any awkward positions like the one you described so far anyway. I think men seem to get trouble like that far more often that women seem to. Saying that I did get a nutter in at work one day who was alright with me but wanted to get my (male) colleague in to the room we were in so he could "punch my colleague's lights out" (he felt he had been wronged by my colleague you see) and I managed to charm/talk him round to avoid any violence. He calmed down quite quickly but it was very frightening for me, although I don't think it must have showed. Got him laughing in the end. That worked better than had I called the police probably because if he'd heard them coming all hell would have broken loose I suspect. Was I glad when he left the building and all was fine! I burst into tears from the relief!

Ah best go back to talking fitness now, I've hijacked the thread a bit here with my broken wrist and fighting tales.
snow report
Why do we have to "measure" some "size" as a gauge of fitness? Why not measure "fitness" itself???

If you can't walk up a few flight of stairs without being out of breath, you're not "fit enough" (to live up there)!

And if you're talking about skiing, you need to be able to get up after falling down, and ski for a full day, and more than a couple days...

If you're getting colds and flu all winter long, you're not even healthy, whatever your waist size maybe...

You can starv yourself into the "green zone". But you probably still can't get up those stairs, never mind hiking for turns on skis. After all, some abitary number in size had much to do with fitness!
snow report
abc wrote:

You can starv yourself into the "green zone". But you probably still can't get up those stairs....

Good point - I have a friend who has lost a stone by semi-starving, putting her securely into the healthy BMI category. She still eats rubbish, just in really small amounts - she loathes fruit/veg. She has the hourglass figure to die for which gives her a very "fit" WH ratio. However she goes everywhere she can by car, walks at a snail pace and gets out of breath climbing a modest flight of stairs such as in a shop - she always takes the lift rolling eyes . I suggested a bike ride with her and her kids while they're off school but the idea filled her with horror unless we could keep it very reasonable - "say a mile or so - perhaps down to the waterside cafe for a break halfway and then back?"

So who is fitter? Her or me? On the figures she is - by far. But it's me, with my unhealthy BMI and WH ratio that can walk miles, climb 2-3 flights of stairs at reasonable speed without getting breathless at all, go for bike rides of 10-20 miles........?

...... and what of those who smoke to kill their appetite, and as a result have their "numbers" in the right zones - are they fitter than me too?

I suppose one needs to more closely define "fitness" as a combination of the body's composition and its ability to cope with exercise.
latest report
Quote:

I've got a friend coming round to help me get a load of shopping from the supermarket next week

Do Tesco or Ocado deliver to your area? You only need one finger to order £200 of groceries on the internet.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, sorry to hear of your injury. At least it wasn't in the ski season. On riding the bike apparently as long as the surface isn't slippery or rough all you need is the front brake http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html. I should add that I've not had a working bike since I've read that so I haven't tried it.
ski holidays
peura, thanks for the link. I'm used to using the front brake softly on a motorbike (where too much front brake could have heinous consequences more so than a push bike really!) so I might be alright there. Thing is I can't grip the handlebars with my left hand yet. I've not ridden by bike for ages so might be a bit iffy and am a bit afraid of falling off and doing even more damage and to the other side to make things worse!

I'll leave it for a bit until I've seen the doctors tomorrow and found out what physically I can and can't do in a week or two.
snow report
pam w, yes that's true, I thought of that last night and thought I'd give that a try instead of relying on friends nipping out from work or after work to give me a hand. As long as the delivery people bring it into the kitchen for me then I should be able to unpack it myself no probs. It's just getting it into the house that's too difficult. Realised this morning although I can get washing in and out of the machine, it's carrying the washing basket with wet washing in it that is a no-no because you can't do it with just one hand. It's one or two towels at a time out to the line to peg it out! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Why do we have to "measure" some "size" as a gauge of fitness? Why not measure "fitness" itself???

abc wrote:
Kramer wrote:

There are many ways that you could measure fitness -

Time to run a mile, number of pressups in a minute, number of sit ups in a minute and seated reach.

Blood pressure, resting pulse, waist to hip ratio.

VO2max etc.

Some people run a mile fast, without exercise! Smile And if you don't weight a lot to begin with, and lift a lot of boxes all day, your press-up is going to be impressive too. But that's not a true measuer of "fitness".

Same with blood pressure and resting pulse. A lot of it are heriditary.

Or perhaps some people don't need to exercise much to stay "fit"? Puzzled wink

So you don't like physiological measurements, and you don't want to measure fitness as strength, flexibility, or speed, so how exactly do you want to measure fitness?
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
So you don't like physiological measurements, and you don't want to measure fitness as strength, flexibility, or speed, so how exactly do you want to measure fitness?

Maybe she doesn't want to measure it. Measuring everything is a bloke (mine is bigger, better than yours rolling eyes ) thing. Either you're happy with your fitness or you're not. Why compare it with others who are completely different in every way (except for being human - mostly Laughing ) Puzzled
ski holidays
maggi, it depends on what you want to know about your 'fitness' for.

It seems to me, that measuring weight is a female thing as much as a male thing.
snow report
Cycling is my main exercise. it is one of the best ways to get fit as low impact. It also builds the upper body as well and you can do a few push ups whilst riding. Try using your bike for every journey you do under 3miles rather than getting in the car. All those times that you nip to the shops will add up and you wont even notice it (except reduced petrol costs), it's not like a training run, relax, enjoy it and go slow.

I would suggest 3 proper rides a week. you are doing 7 miles now, so do 7 mile ride monday, 10 mile ride weds and then a 5-7 mile ride on the sat. plenty of rest time and you will be using yor bike for all those little trips too.

Get yourself a bike computer with average speed and cadence on it, this will motivate you (about £30) and help you understand how to ride efficiently.

also, use the same routes for now so you know whats coming, where to save your energy, when to push etc... go to www.mapmyride.com and you will probably find a route near you which suits your level. If you have fat tyres on, get some road tyres (£10) and keep the pressure to about 100psi (any higher than that will be uncomfortable for you at this level). Put some toe clips on your pedals and concentrate on pulling up rather than pishing down, gravity does that for you.

I started cycling three years ago on a heavy old hybrid doing 5-10 miles, within 4 months i had a regular 25mile route which i done for a year, then i got a road bike on cycle to work scheme, lycra'd up, cliples peddals and do regular 100 mile route each week at least once. you can do it too !!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, you're welcome. Although I agree with the physics of what he says I think I'd find it hard (at first) to do what he suggests. I guess the same principle is true for motorbikes and pedal-bikes except that you might have less "feel" for how well the back wheel is gripping. Obviously I was just thinking of ways to get mobile rather than high speeds or rough stuff.

Re the washing couldn't you put it in a bag to carry out? A few years ago I used to carry "spun dry" washing home from the laundrette in a backpacking rucksack without getting a wet back. Although, if it's not too far, I guess just a bin bag would do in your case.
snow conditions
Quote:
97-year-old travels 2,400km by bike to see badminton

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080811/tod-oly-2008-badminton-chn-offbeat-7f81b96.html
ski holidays
Forgive me Snowheads for I have sinned- it was 6 days since my last bike ride - however, I went out tonight and did the 7.7 mile circuit. I hope this will get me back going again.
latest report
Quote:

I'm not against meassuring per se. But I'm question all this talk of "green zone" or "ideal hip to waist ratio". Strikes me much like the definition of the master race rolling eyes, with its zero allowance to individual variations.

(and for that matter, the rigid 5 times per week minimum exercise) Wink
snow report
abc, I'm rather liking the idea that I'm one of the master race. Do I get an NHS peaked cap and shiny boots? Laughing
ski holidays
too much exercise is bad for you.. your joints and muscles and tendons expected you to bounce a round like a loon then die at 30 from a disease or getting eaten by a sabre toothed tiger.. you have to pace things a bit more these days.. i mean look at roger bannister!! wink
snow conditions
abc wrote:
I'm not against meassuring per se. But I'm question all this talk of "green zone" or "ideal hip to waist ratio". Strikes me much like the definition of the master race rolling eyes, with its zero allowance to individual variations.

(and for that matter, the rigid 5 times per week minimum exercise) Wink

They're not arbitary, they're based on pretty robust science. If your waist to hip ratio is above 0.85(female) or 0.90(male) then you're at increased risk of hypertension, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. It is statistically a far more accurate predictor than BMI, or waist measurement alone.

The good news, is that unlike the defnition of the master race, if you fall outside the definition, it is rectifiable with hard work and dedication (and five sessions of exercise a week. wink ). As opposed to their ethnicity, people's waist lines are under their control.
latest report
Quote:

It is statistically a far more accurate predictor than BMI, or waist measurement alone.

Statistically!!!

What it all means is that's the case "on average" (not to mention the "everything else being equall" bits). It doesn't mean it IS (or should be) the case for EVERYONE!!!

So, instead of "if you fall outside the definition, it is rectifiable...", it just says if you fall outside the definition, you likely to be slightly DIFFERENT! Or NOT!!! Further more, that difference can be either good, bad or irrelevant.

Now, that 'difference' could very well be an indicator of un-healthy life style, which maybe the case for a good portion of the population. But that difference could also simply be a result of above or below average genetic make-up, or that of an entire race!

More over, because it's "statistical". It also implies the opposite is true too: just because you fall INSIDE the "zone", it doesn't mean you as an individual is at a particular better position than those who're outside. It's call "statistical fluctuation". Just because it's "on average" true for 100 or 1000 people doesn't mean it's true for each and every one of those hundreds and thousands.

The science maybe reasonably robust (to a degree, not having access to the research itself). But your understanding of its finding, and the conclusion you drawn, appears to have stretched OUTSIDE of its scope of validity.

And this "outside" definition, is NOT statistical! Wink

Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy