Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me that this bike riding lark is doing me good!!

Poster: A snowHead
So here I am again absolutely cream crackered after my bike ride. I must be doing it wrong. It's not fun, it's just bloody exhausting. The route is 7.7 miles (I measured it in the car one night), tonight I timed myself, 33 minutes inc. the odd minor break to cross road, blow nose etc. Whilst not hilly, very few of these country lanes are flat, and there is one short steep section that I have now worked out how to climb using the 'granny' gear wheel. I do it by myself against the clock, but its not fun. I've had the bike 3 weeks and have been managing at least 3 times a week sometimes 4 or 5 times. Please can someone tell me that its doing me good?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, it is doing you good.
It wii cheer you upf nothing else. Well done.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, it is definitely doing you good! You feel stronger and fitter don't you?

The only thing I would say is that 3 times of 30 minutes biking per week is good enough, you don't need to go 4 or 5 times a week. Resting the body is just as important as exercising it. I was down the gym yesterday having a fitness assessment and me and the fitness instructor (a proper qualified one who really knew his stuff) were talking about exactly this, when too much exercise can be bad for you, resulting in fatigue, less or lack of enjoyment can set in which can reduce the results obtained because it puts the body under stress. Apparently, I'm no expert mind. Makes sense to me though. He said rest was very important and not overdoing it is important too, because it can make the body do other things than break down fat (but can't remember the exact explanation he gave). I was asking him if it mattered if I went to the gym 4 or 5 times sometimes in a week. He said he'd rather have me stick at a regular 3 times a week.

Have you lost weight from the biking, if so, how much? Why are you timing yourself out of interest? I think you're more likely to keep the exercise going if you are not "exhausted" at the end of it but "challenged".
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No pain no gain as the saying goes wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh by the way, how long have you been biking? Well done for keeping going with it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, it's good to have a balance though. The effects last longer-apparently. Again I'm no expert.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, Thanks for the encouragement - I've had a bike for about 10 years or so, but despite an intial flurry was never intially fit enough to want to use it for exercise. I did however, get it out the shed regularly and use it to cycle to post letters or visit the village post office or shop rather than get the car out, so was always able to cycle say a mile or two without too much effort. In the last 18 months I've shifted 2 stone, got fit for February's skiing holiday, managed to stay fit for VT in April, worn out two cheap home gym machines and finally got this chance to buy a decent bike cheaply through a works purchase scheme (it was about 1/2 price) - it arrived about 3 weeks ago and I thought well, I'll try this rather than another cheap gym machine - which I was only doing 10 mins a night on anyway.

It's a hybrid so a bit heavier than a road bike, but our roads are a bit grim so I thought the hybrid would be more robust and its got lights so when the nights draw in I can still go out. So far I've been a fair weather biker - I won't go if I'm about to get soaked or if its too windy - I'm not fit enough yet to ride against the wind, but I'm trying to tell myself its good for me and good for my figure (I want to shift another stone), and I would like to stay fit enough to ski next year, and maybe do other bits and bobs like some hiking without needing huge amounts of preparation - at the moment that's about all I can find to drive me to knacker myself each time I go out. As for the timing myself, well I'm not cycling with any others, and want it for fitness so I'd better make sure that I do the same sort of time or better each night. The trouble is I don't know if around 15 mph is good, bad or indifferent.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good for you about the 2 stone.

If you definitely want to do some form of exercise 4-5 times a week, you could use the bike 3 times (but don't try and beat your time, just do it fast enough to feel enough resistance) and then do some low intensity exercise such as swimming on the other days in between if you want, or nothing at all. It is important to use different muscle groups so that they have a chance to rest and grow on the rest days. Apparently! Although that does make sense I have to admit.

Doing other forms of exercise will also tone your whole body rather than just the bottom half having all the exercise, so swimming would be good for the arms.

If I was you I would consult a fitness professional (have you a local gym you could go to? Mine's not mega expensive but I do live in the countryside mind you) to ascertain if your weight loss target and timescale is realistic. Again too much and your body thinks it's in a world food shortage and starts to use food differently. I'm not suggesting you're going to go anorexic here or anything but getting the right advice is hugely motivational and also a healthy and educated way to lose weight and maintain/improve fitness.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, also apart from the cardio which you're doing plenty of at the moment, it would be good for you to do some weight bearing exercises/weight training. More muscle means more calorie burning even at rest, and makes the body look stronger and leaner. Much better IMO than someone who is slim but weak and flimsy. Good to reduce the risk of osteoporosis in females too by increasing your bone density.

If you could join a gym like I said that would be ideal because you can have weight training built into your program then. You would definitely notice the difference when you go skiing when you've been weight training for a while! I know this from experience! Wow it made a difference!
I was like the Duracel bunny on them slopes.

I'm quite out of shape at the mo, hence the visit to the gym yesterday for that assessment-I'll have a program re-done for me now- I have only just started going back to the gym after months and months of nil or sporadic activity-except skiing holidays of course wink. Going to the gym once intending to go regularly and then not ending up going for another 3 weeks!

I've got out of the habit of going to the gym and I do eat too much, have always liked my food, so I've put on weight. I need to lose 9kg to get back to when I looked good, so not masses.

As long as I do that by December I'll be happy. It'll probably go before then though.

I used to go to the same gym and follow a program like this chap is doing for me a few years ago until I got out of the habit of going about 18 months ago now and I lost about 2 stone while I was on the program previously. I never looked so good (even if I do say so myself Embarassed ) I don't know why I packed it in really, I suppose I just got lazy and started working from home, having lie ins, picking at food etc etc. I also did quite a bit of weight training within that program and it really set my figure off nicely as well as being slim. It was great! So that's what I'm trying to get back to!

I'm telling you this so when you see me at Michelle's BBQ in a few weeks you won't think "Christ she doesn't look like she goes to the gym!" I've got a bit of a tum at the moment I can tell you! Oh well, it won't be there for much longer!

wink Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-07-08 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Sounds like you're doing fab. 15mph on a hybrid is pretty darned good I reckon. With hubby in tow we do about 8mph, on my own I do about 12-14. The thing I'd say though is that you're making the exercise repetetive and thus boring so it's a chore and that's not so good. Can you vary your route and/or manage to ride for pleasure too? Can you transport the bike in/on your car and go other places?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Thats good going like some one said above 3 times a week should be more than enought for you and then spend 1 or 2 nights working on your core muscles aswell! Keep up the good work
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I might grab a swimming programme from the local pool tomorrow and see what they do in the evenings - I used to swim a lot of lengths - could manage a mile breast stroke no problems, but haven't done it for 7 or 8 years. I don't do weights at the moment, though I can see the sense in the advice. However, with the loss of the soon to be ex. I am doing more round the smallholding, water buckets, shovelling, wheelbarrows, hay and straw carting, chopping grass as well as hand milking so this must be better than nothing. I am also managing 30 sit-ups every morning and still trying 10 of those darned press-ups too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=974879#974879

Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, in 1992 my girlfriend bought me my first mountain bike. My first attempts to ride up mountains on it were, to put it mildly, painful! Usually accompanied by pleas to a Mary, Jesus and a God I didn't believe in to let this torture end soon... but somehow I kept on coming back for more. Within a year I was down in Italy @ Lago di Garda doing tours over 2000 vertical meters and 80Km. Usually still cursing, but hey, somehow you do it. It has never let me go, and I hope to be still doing Transalps when I am seventy.
Keep at it. Bit by bit what feels like pain turns into endorphin addiction Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum wrote:
The trouble is I don't know if around 15 mph is good, bad or indifferent.

Yes, it's quite good enough. On a route that's not dead flat, with a heavy hybird, it's actually quite good. And there's no question it'll be good for you.

In fact, I might venture to suggest you vary the pace a bit. Some day ride a bit slower. Maybe take a small detour to see a different sight? And only one of those 3 days you try to go as hard as you can to see if you beat your time from the previous week.

Cycling works better for the heart than say, running, for the legs. But only if you spend more time on the bike. i.e. riding longer distance. So speed is not always neccessary.
latest report
Megamum, make sure you have the seat high enough. You need to have almost full stretch on up/down pedal movement to get maximum efficiency.
snow report
Megamum, Pump the tyres up too !
ski holidays
Quote:

I am doing more round the smallholding, water buckets, shovelling, wheelbarrows, hay and straw carting, chopping grass as well as hand milking so this must be better than nothing. I am also managing 30 sit-ups every morning and still trying 10 of those darned press-ups too.

For goodness' sake! If you have a strenuous job of this kind, and cycling, sit ups and press ups, you're doing loads. Gyms are for people stuck in front of computer screens all day.

It's much better to have a generally active life than to have phases of going mad down a gym 4 times a week then giving it up for months. Sounds as if you're doing brilliantly. However if you are cycling for exercise, and doing a fixed route/distance, the more efficient your bike is, the less exercise you're getting. wink
snow report
pam w, you're right about it being better to have a generally active lifestyle than to have phases of going mad down a gym for a bit and then nothing at all for ages.

Going to the gym regularly 2-3 times a week and doing some cardio and some weight training changes your body shape (for the better in an asthetic way) as well as keeps you fit and toned. One thing I do like about the gym is that you get out and see other people who go there too, you can listen to music or watch TV while you're exercising, and what you are doing is measureable and quantifiable. You can see exactly how far, how long, how heavy etc etc and so it gives you something to plot your progress against. I like that part of it a lot.

Some people don't bother with the gym and recreationally play sports like rugby, tennis or football on a regular basis for fun, the social aspect of it and to keep fit. Team sports players who are professional or semi professional or just very keen usually use the gym to complement their sport outdoors, especially the weight training part so the gym has a lot of merits when it comes to weight training.
ski holidays
Megamum, good idea about trying the swimming programme, if not to do more exercise but just so you have some low intensity exercise to do in between/instead of the cycling from time to time, it will stop you getting fed up of the cycling then by doing something else.

Good that your work at home on the small holding keeps you active on a day to day basis, it sounds like you wouldn't have time to join a gym anyway with your wheelbarrowing, shovelling etc, cycling, swimming, sit ups and press ups! Generally most folk who go to gyms don't have outdoorsy jobs and perhaps work in offices and the like so that's the only exercise they get otherwise, so it's good that they go.

The press ups do get easier as time goes on. Example, about a fortnight or 3 weeks ago, I had a real job to do 5 press ups (proper ones not girl's ones). This Wednesday at the fitness assessment I mentioned above I did 25 in a minute. I hadn't been practising them at all so it must have been going back to the gym the last few weeks that made the change, as that's the only form of exercise I do. That's only 5 away from the most I could do in a minute (30) so it's surprising how quick your muscles grow and gain strength.

Soon enough you'll be able to do the same!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I've had the bike 3 weeks and have been managing at least 3 times a week sometimes 4 or 5 times. Please can someone tell me that its doing me good?

2 more weeks to obvious strength gain; take a week off, then restart.

5-6 more weeks to obvious aerobic capacity gain; take another week off then restart.

~10 more weeks to truly significant weight loss unless you start riding 4-5hour rides on the weekend.
snow conditions
There certainly seems to be something in this rest period. You are all mentioning a rest period to some degree or another - I can see the sense in it from the posted explanations, but certainly without any advice you start an exercise programme with this feeling that the more you can do the better. It is a relelation to find it can actually have an adverse effect
latest report
Megamum wrote:
There certainly seems to be something in this rest period. You are all mentioning a rest period to some degree or another - I can see the sense in it from the posted explanations, but certainly without any advice you start an exercise programme with this feeling that the more you can do the better. It is a relelation to find it can actually have an adverse effect

The rest period depends on the training intensity up to the rest period, the ramping up afterwards, and on the individual's ability to recover.

In a younger athlete who isn't training hard enough, it can be a chance to drop the ball, taking weeks to get back up to previous ability. Read: plateau, frustration, lack of progress.

In a younger athlete who is training sufficiently now but doesn't ramp up afterwards, it is also meaningless because the body adapts to the workout sufficiently to recover during the ON week and do the same workout over again, but never starts developing beyond that.

In a younger athlete who is training sufficiently but doesn't have the patience to sit down and rest properly instead of running about doing this that or the other "cross-training", it is meaningless to talk about them because the body never recovers enough to resume training intensity.

In an older athlete who can't train with high intensity because of a simple lack of sufficient muscle fiber, it is also meaningless to talk about them, because they have to use moderate intensity almost continuously just to stay ahead of ageing muscle loss.
snow report
comprex, Aren't you talking about a different sort of rest period to the others? I thought they were suggesting having rest days every week, rather than a whole week off. Also I'm wondering what you mean by "older" and "younger" in this context and are there any recommendations for those who might be in the middle?
I've been trying Kramer's suggestion two days a week. I think it's doing me good without the cost, hassle etc of going to the gym.
snow conditions
I hope that the 60-80 miles I do each week around the Dengie is doing me some good as I am attempting the Col d'Iseran at the end of the month on two wheels.
ski holidays
With people who have active jobs and get some regular exercise such as cycling, and are just "ordinary folk" not athletes doing specialised training, I reckon that flexibility and stretching is often the most important gap. Some people who play a cardio-intensive game, such as hockey or football, regularly are as stiff as boards - and it's often joints which cause you problems as you get older. Shoulders, hips, neck, the lot. You don't need to be able to cycle up Snowdon before breakfast, but you do need to be able to reach your feet to put your socks on. Strength training not supported by well informed flexibility/stretching can make things worse. Need to keep things in proportion.
latest report
Megamum, Are you going 'flat-out' every time?

Its a good idea to vary training intensity. Slower&Longer, Interval (varied intensity during the excersize), etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
megamum - stick with it i will be doing you good!!

A few tips from me to add to the fray;
> vary your route - have a few known routes of varying distances so that you can choose how long you ride for. Use your current 7.7m route as the base route and make the others longer and sightly hillier.
> keep timing - when riding on your own you need to keep focus otherwise you mentally drift and stop pushing yourself.
> Tyre Pressures - make sure they're hard (very), true they might take somegetting used to but they make it easier and reduce the chance of punctures - to give you some idea I ride with 120/130psi
> Use music - if you have an nano/ipod put one ear in it helps have music with the right rythm for your riding and then keep the beat (after all that's what they do at spinning classes)
> Join a club - most will welcome you with open arms and it makes a great change, if you're not sure of your local one your local bike shop should know
> and finally REST it's not the riding that will make you stronger but how much you rest.

All of the above will cost you nothing but help mak sure you stay with it and you will notice a difference.

The following will cost some money but help even more
> Bike Computer - get a simple one - they don't cost the earth and help you monitor what you're doing whilst you're out (distance, speed, average speed)
> Heart Rate Monitor - what better way to see how much fitter you are this week when compared to last week? also see how hard you are actually pushing yourself too much or too little who knows?
> Turbo Trainer - some days you just won't feel like riding (windy, raining or plain can't be bothered to go out) so stay in and continue your programme.

HTH
snow conditions
peura, yes, I am, the other sort have been sufficiently covered for Megamum's purposes. An on week might be 5 days/week, an off week might be 2days/week.

younger/older is fairly obvious: you're right there's a gap between 35 and 50- I find that healing responses to large efforts are very individual in this zone.
ski holidays
comprex, thanks. I hadn't really thought about having off weeks. Also, I hadn't realised an off week wouldn't be totally "off" Embarassed .
Not sure about the ages being obvious. I'd thought of myself as well outside the "younger" range but I'm pleased to find I'm only just "not young" Laughing . I think a lot depends on how much training one did when one was younger. Although I've not trained seriously (in fact hardly at all) for many (~15) years, I still find that I have a faster recovery from (or don't even suffer) stiffness/soreness after undertaking an unfamiliar activity compared to others who weren't so active when they were young.
latest report
Took my bike out Friday evening. Thanks to a wrong turn found myself going down farm tracks and round the sides of fields. Rock hard ground. Great fun - found out why I have a low set of gears! Saw a hare running in front of me, the odd horse rider - and what looked like a Jet Provost (rare these days) heading for Waddington. Nearly had what is left of my teeth shaken out. 1hr 20 min of great, if knackering, fun.

Saw a large field of poppies growing as a crop, by the side of a road. Intriguing.

Must find out about puncture kits. Would have been unfunny having a puncture miles form anywhere.
ski holidays
achilles, get some self adhesive patches... and a CO2 cannister for inflation.
ski holidays
achilles, pop along to decathlon and get a pair of spare inner tubes for about £3. Carry one (or two!) of these. Far easier than trying to fix a puncture in the middle of nowhere.
snow report
I would have thought a puncture was a full bike upside down, wheel out, prise tyre off, dunk inner tube in trough of water find hole, affix patch reverse process job. i.e. something needing a tool kit to be carried - do all you bikers carry a tool kit - I don't!!

Fogliettaz, Hi, I hadn't noticed you were one of us Dengie locals - there are a few of us within about 7 miles of you!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-07-08 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
megamum - get yourself a little saddle bag.

I use one of these and carry;
> mobile phone
> credit card
> tyre levers
> credit card
> cash
> 2 spare tubes
> multi tool
snow conditions
I carry one spare tube, tyre levers and a small bottle of "tube repairer" that I picked up from Decathlon. Not tried the stuff, but the idea is that you blow it into the tube and it does a tempory repair.
latest report
marcellus, a little saddle bag is a good idea - I've been using the rear carrier (which has a built in bungy strap) to hold a fleece in case it gets chilly with a mobile and £10 note zipped in the pocket to get me out of trouble, but that's as much as I carry at the moment - The bag in the picture is quite neat - I might get something like that. I think you may need something to blow that tyre up with though wink unless you carry a pump on the bike frame, but mine doesn't hold a bicycle pump in a purpose built pair of notches on the frame as some bikes used to.

Mind you in terms of mending a tyre its been a long while since I did one (though I hasten to add I have done it in the past a long time ago). In my family my dad is a demon puncture repairer and usually all the repairs are chucked at him.
ski holidays
Megamum, you should be able to attach a small pump somewhere on the bike. I'm surprised that it hasn't got a couple of bolts on the frame somewhere. You could always improvise - my old one had a contraption that essentially held it on to the crossbar with cable ties!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I'll have a better look then - I must admit I was surprised not to immediately see a mounting point, but I haven't had a good look - I will have a better search.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy