Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 conversion cut off dates for CIs and ASSIs?

Poster: A snowHead
I want to clarify the situation with regards cut off dates for Cis and ASSIs (SSE in this case) to be eligible to do a one day BASI Level 1 conversion course.

I believe that these conversions will no longer be available for any CIs/ASSIs from October 2008 but I have also been told that that the one day conversions can only be taken by CIs (and I think ASSIs) who qualified before mid 2007 (can't remember what month exactly). Those who qualified after that date need to apparently do the full full 5 day course, meaning an extra cost of well over 200 quid!

This has come verbally from someone in the BASI office but I know of at least one CI qualified after that date who has done the one day conversion already and another who has booked to do one so if there is a rule it appears nobody's checking up prior to getting people's booking money (funny that, lol rolling eyes Laughing ). Personally I don't want to do (and pay for) a conversion and run the risk of being told at a later date that I'm not actually eligible because I qualified after said cut off date!

So, anyone know what the rules are 'coz I sure as heck can't find any clear explanation on the BASI site (although I may be missing something bleeding obvious)!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, can't answer you specific question, maybe Gilleski can. I'd just book on it when you're ready and do it anyway, can't see how you'd be turned away by BASI myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Unfortunately I was the other day when I was stupid enough to mention qualification dates!

I could, of course, try to book onto another conversion or even the same and hope I speak to someone different but that seems a bit dodgy to me Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, I'm with Spyderman. Once you're in the system they'll be loath to turn people away - particularly if you then book onto another course.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, You don't have to convert to BASI. You can stay with SSE and their newly created sheme....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, true but I've been silly enough to be honest and obviously unlucky enough to talk to someone who checked! I'd like to see it in writing somewhere though just so I know it's absolutely true, they did seem a bit unsure themselves!

ski, point is I want to be in the BASI system though not SSE and their newly renamed scheme! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga,
Quote:

I want to be in the BASI system though not SSE and their newly renamed scheme!

just out of interest, why?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, well worth investigating as the BASI L1 course is more like £365 for the week, plus the cost of the CP module at £35. Also likely you'll need to stay near a Snowdome and that cost me £240 the other week. Well worth it though not to have the early morning drive each day though and the traffic! The fuel would have cost me £140 to drive every day anyway so it was well worthwhile!

So the full L1 might set you back more like £640 plus food costs as well so if you can get the 1 day conversion course it would be hugely cheaper, plus only 1 day off work instead of 5 plus.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, what car are you driving?Hummer?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
elbrus, sorry no my mistake I did think £140 sounded a tad high when I typed it earlier. It would have been £115 for every day to and from for a week. Based on 90 miles each way from Hereford to Tamworth at 42 mpg at £1.20 per litre. Assuming 42 mpg the whole time of course. Would cost roga more anyhow as he lives in Bristol another 50 miles away each way. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
roga,
Quote:

I want to be in the BASI system though not SSE and their newly renamed scheme!

just out of interest, why?

Because:

1. I'm not counting out decanting to the Alps (or elsewhere) at some point.
2. BASI are internationally recognised and IMHO should acredit all instructing in this country
3. I can get trained by BASI people when away on trips to the mountains and take courses/refreshers there too
4. when I move back to my native Scotland I'd like to have the option of either teaching on the mountains or on artificial or even both and the BASI system seems the obvious choice snowHead
5. I don't really see a clear progression that suits my needs coming from SSE and co. whereas there is with BASI
6. I view SSE as more biased towards racing/coaching than instructing
7. I think SSE have refused to accept working with BASI for political rather than reasons that are in the best interests of the sport
8. I grew up skiing on real snow in the Cairngorms, where BASI came into being and is still based, and always wanted to earn a BASI badge
9. nostalgically I still remember being in awe of the founders of BASI when I saw them on the mountain or around the Strath
10. I want to fulfil a teenage ambition before it's too late

Do you want any more reasons or is that enough? wink Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, think that'll do! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, Sorry, still not a good enough reason wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, that's quite a splendid list! I take it you have already seen this taken from the BASI website? It appears they are correct with what they told you in theory when you contacted the BASI office.

http://www.basi.org.uk/courses.aspx

However, are you saying that some CI's you know have managed to do the 1 day L1 conversion rather than the full L1 course despite qualifying after 31st July 2007 and have managed to get away with it that way?

Hopefully someone who knows what they are on about will be along soon to clarify this for you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
roga, Sorry, still not a good enough reason wink Laughing

LOL, oooh 'eck you really want more? Wink
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
roga, that's quite a splendid list!

Thanks Very Happy
Quote:
I take it you have already seen this taken from the BASI website? It appears they are correct with what they told you in theory when you contacted the BASI office.

http://www.basi.org.uk/courses.aspx

Thanks for the link, seems from that that they were absolutely correct so that clears up any doubt I had about the accuracy of the information I got.
Quote:
However, are you saying that some CI's you know have managed to do the 1 day L1 conversion rather than the full L1 course despite qualifying after 31st July 2007 and have managed to get away with it that way?

I may well be saying that but I couldn't possibly comment further Wink

To be honest as far as I'm concerned if people have done the conversion and passed despite having qualified after July 07 then all power to them, they did the conversion in good faith, not realising there was a cut off date, and if they're good enough to pass the conversion then I'd presume they're up to standard. They didn't know they were supposed to do the full 5 days and BASI accepted them and the cut off date is frankly arbitrary anyway.

From a personal point of view though, now I know what the score is I'd rather do it the correct way and feel I'm legit rather than doing the conversion and knowing I'm deliberately trying to buck the rules.
Quote:
Hopefully someone who knows what they are on about will be along soon to clarify this for you.

Well the page you've linked to seems to settle the matter so no worries Very Happy

So Emma could you send me details of the place you stayed at when you did your Level 1 course at Tamworth please?
snow report
roga, The CI conversion has an assessment for L1 standard, unlike ASSi conversion, which is the same conversion course, but no assessment. If you do the course as a CI and pass the assessment, why should you not feel that you haven't done it legit. If you're good enough, you're good enough, what has when you passed the CI got to do with it?
latest report
^ that was kinda in part what I was clumsily trying to say so I totally agree in general.

However, now I've been told that I'm past the cut off date I'd be deliberately trying to buck the rules if I went and booked onto a one day conversion so I'd feel better sticking to the rules... although my wallet would rather I bucked the rules!

Yes, it is arbitrary and I agree that the pass date has nothing to do with it and I have no doubt I'm good enough to pass but in my heart of hearts I'd feel I was being a bit dishonest if I was deliberately trying to ignore the rules. Toofy Grin
snow report
roga, If you also intend to go on to do the L2 it will be excellent training, much easier than hitting the L2 after only one day with BASI.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
roga, If you also intend to go on to do the L2 it will be excellent training, much easier than hitting the L2 after only one day with BASI.

Yes, also a good point and for me definitely a valid one Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy