Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L2 for closed environment

Poster: A snowHead
gilleski, beer in landgraff is cheap....if you've not been you should have...... see the vid on the other thread opf the weekend camp with PB to get an idea of the size of it, it doesn't do it justice really it is huge..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gilleski,

Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, We had had a request from a slope to run the first UKSI. It will probaly work like that in the first year.

Ok. Which slope is it going to be? Any ideas on how long the course will be...1 week or 2 weeks? How long will it take to convert to Alpine afterwards if desired? Sorry to repeat myself Embarassed , perhaps you don't have the information on these bits I've asked yet.....although I was maybe beginning to wonder if that bloke thing was just creeping in again Laughing wink wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gilleski, beer is cheap, grass only a little more. Of course beer is free at Alpincenter, Bottrop...but "snow" isn't as good! wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gilleski wrote:

RobW, The UKSI is pittched at a higher level than the ASSI, however if your freinds ski at a BASI level 2 standard on the plastic and have some experience this may be the course from them. First they would need to hold a BASI level 1, if they hold a club instructor then they can do a 1 day conversion course.

They do indeed have club instructor, and can't seen to progress to ASSI with SSE because SSE keep cancelling the courses. They do ski pretty much at BASI L2 (although bumps/steeps still needs working on), so a conversion to BASI L1 and then UKSI is something they may be interested in.

As I said before, when the information becomes official....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I need help i don't know what i should be doing next. Did my ADC a couple of years ago and ain't done much with it really. Need to learn more my brain is turning to mush hopefully my skiing ain't tho. But can't do 2 full weeks on snow at the moment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, for thoses interested BASI now have posted some info on the UKSI award

http://www.basi.org.uk/qual_info.aspx?qid=48
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gilleski, thanks for the link. Tamworth it is then, first course is in September and it's for 5 days.

docsquid, is that any good for you or is it too early?

To change it later to full Alpine L2 I guess it must be another 5 days then?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, this would be brilliant, but the BASI web site won't let me book it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
docsquid, i had this problem as well. Try logging into your account and then go to you section "my courses" within that it should display the courses you have completed and the ones "available for booking". if you click on the course you want to take there you go through the booking pages.

If you clikc on the course from the home page all you get is an error message saying to log in, even if you are already logged in !! rubbish site IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, I can't book it because I haven't yet completed my 35 hours shadowing, although I will have completed it easily before the course. So at the moment it isn't available for booking. I phoned and asked and they are going to get back to me. I suspect that by the time they do the course will be fully booked up!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, hmmm... i could be wrong but i thought you only had to produce your hours letter two weeks before a course, not at time of booking. sounds like another website screw up..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
docsquid, is it 35 hours required for this, or 70?
skimottaret, I was required to have my 70 hours and Child Protection completed before I could book a place on the L2 course.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 2-07-08 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, no, it isn't. You have to have it completed and your Level 1 certification completed including the 35 hours before you can book, then another 35 hours completed a week before the start of the course. So I guess this course will be fully booked before I can complete the 35 hours. I've got just under 20 at the moment. I have all the rest booked, but it won't be completed before the start of August. Sigh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, docsquid, sorry, i stand corrected. But for ISIA you can book your course even though you dont have your 200 hours...

The 200 logged signed teaching hours must be on your ski school headed paper or other official document to demonstrate proof that you have completed this requirement. These hours must be completed between successful completion of the Instructor Training course and commencement of the technical or teaching modules of the “Ski Teacher ISIA” course, and between successful completion of the “Ski Teacher ISIA” course and commencement of the technical or teaching modules of the “ISTD” course. This is done to meet the requirements for accreditation to the International Ski Instructors Association.

Students should have completed their hours prior to booking teacher or technical modules with the office to ensure they are accepted.
It is recognised that some people may wish to book on to a course before completing all the hours. In order to accommodate this BASI will accept a booking at this point, however it must be stressed;

IF ALL THE HOURS ARE NOT SIGNED OFF AT THE BASI OFFICE TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT OF THE COURSE, THEN YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND THE COURSE, AND THERE WILL BE NO REFUND.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, I think it changed recently (when the Foundation Week was made into the L1). BASI said that you need to have completed all the L1 (including hours, 1st Aid and Child Protection) before you could book a place on an L2 course. It nearly caught me out, and it was a squeeze to get it all sorted between December and March for me.
ski holidays
docsquid, I'm sure at the start of August with over a month to go until the course starts that there will still be room on it for you.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, I'm trying to get in a few extra days over the next 2 weeks so I can get my experience quicker. Have you done your 35 hours yet?

Also, I understand things like training in the computer booking system for booking lessons and so forth count, so I've already done that as part of my job in the gym, since they use a similar system, so perhaps I could put on a couple of hours for things like that.
ski holidays
docsquid, have sent you a PM. I wonder how much it will cost to do the L2 Alpine conversion later on? I should think that bit will be another 5 days since the current L2 is 10 days long. Makes sense.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Makes sense.

I'm not sure it does as the structure of the L2 is not setup so that you do all your CT stuff in week 1, then all your personal performance in week 2. The L2 course, as it is currently structured, is not equally divided into two separate weeks when it would be possible to join half way through the course in order to focus on personal development. Each of the days are mixed up so you do a bit of CT stuff and a bit of personal performance. It is also very weather dependent, so on my L2 course the forecast was for worsening weather so we did more personal performance skiing up front and saved more CT stuff for the second week.
ski holidays
Hi all, Just a few comments and areas for consideration:

The UKSI is another level above the L1 alpine. If you are still in the "logging hours" phase you may not ready for a UKSI award. Your personal skiing will need to be higher than the pass level of the L1 alpine award. As stated already, it is not a BASI L2, but in the areas assessed that are the same as an L2 it will have to be at an L2 standard. Look at your course reports from your L1 course and ask yourself "do I need to develop in the higher end phases". Between L1 and UKSI there probably would have to be development in your skiing (unless your exit level at L1 was closer to L2). I would recommend that you consult a BASI trainer before you book on to a UKSI course to get an idea of your level and gain experience beyond the minimum at L1 first.

Pete Silver Gillespie
latest report
gilleski, thank you for that. I've been working hard and getting feedback on the areas on which I need to work since the Level 1 course, and think I have made improvements, although it is sometimes difficult to tell. My performance of CT stuff has definitely improved, just by being involved in teaching. I'm also aiming to get some more input from BASI trainers before the UKSI course, and have had input from BASI trainers during the previous season. Although I want to pass it, I think taking the course will be a valuable learning experience in its own right, particularly the way it is described on the BASI web site. For teaching skills I was already at L2 level.

So, I think for me it is a good thing to try. I may need to try again, but that's OK. Any opportunity to go on a course with a BASI Trainer and develop my skiing in my own home town i one to be seized with both hands. It is a privilege to be taught by you guys.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Makes sense.

I'm not sure it does as the structure of the L2 is not setup so that you do all your CT stuff in week 1, then all your personal performance in week 2. The L2 course, as it is currently structured, is not equally divided into two separate weeks when it would be possible to join half way through the course in order to focus on personal development. Each of the days are mixed up so you do a bit of CT stuff and a bit of personal performance. It is also very weather dependent, so on my L2 course the forecast was for worsening weather so we did more personal performance skiing up front and saved more CT stuff for the second week.

rob@rar now my lovely did I mention anything at all about joining an Alpine L2 course that is already running to do the conversion to L2 from the UKSI? Hmmm? Er no. wink Laughing Laughing

I was merely summising about the potential length of such a course to convert to full alpine from UKSI and wondered if it would be 5 days i.e since the current L2 Alpine is 10 days in length, then it makes sense that the total time for UKSI and the alpine conversion on top is 10 days too.

Incidentally, I called BASI earlier on to find out the cost of the conversion (presuming it to be an entirely separate week's course for UKSIs to convert at the same time) before I saw your post above and to my surprise to be honest, I was told that candidates would join a L2 Alpine course that was running and join either the first or the second week (which is currently being discussed within BASI which week the UKSIs would join).

The cost (to be confirmed) would be £385 for the conversion week. I wanted to know this information so I could weigh up the cost of doing it in 2 stages the first bit being the UKSI in the UK and then the conversion later, against the cost of the 2 weeks lift pass, 2 weeks accomodation in resort etc etc for the traditional Alpine L2. I am probably going to stick with the traditional L2 in a mountain resort anyway as I'd prefer that. There doesn't seem to be much in it anyway when you consider that the 2 separate components cost £770 against the Alpine L2 on a mountain of £510 so that leaves room for the lift pass anyway, it's just the second week's accomodation that would be "extra" as it were.

I'm with you, I think it would be better to have a separate conversion course with everyone singing from the same hymn sheet because as you say, on the current L2 some days you'd have a bit of tech, some days spent on teaching, and again of course it depends on the weather. Not sure how BASI are going to sort that one so it flows properly and everyone's stuff fits in ok.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rob@rar now my lovely did I mention anything at all about joining an Alpine L2 course that is already running to do the conversion to L2 from the UKSI? Hmmm? Er no. wink Laughing Laughing

No you didn't mention it, but I (correctly it would seem) assumed that it would be joining an existing L2 course. I can't see how it could join week 1 of an L2 course as the Trainer will conclude his/her assessment of whether each person in the group has made L2 level at the end of the course. I would also be disappointed if the natural flow of the L2 course was disrupted because the Trainer also needed to accommodate the needs of converting UKSI candidates.

To be honest the whole thing seems a recipe for confusion and unhealthy compromise. I think it's great that BASI is creating a progression for artificial/indoor slope instructors to improve their skills. Anything which improves the quality of teaching in the UK is a good thing in my book. But I can't see how the UKSI can sensibly fit into the alpine qualifications, nor am I persuaded that taking the UKSI route is a good option for instructors who want to progress to L2 and possibly beyond.
snow report
rob@rar, hmmm yes it is a bit of a conundrum. Whether it is going to be joining week 1 or week 2 of the L2 we will have to see, the lady I spoke to said that it is to be discussed which week it will be. I think it would be better to have a separate conversion course for the UKSIs, as we have said it seems tricky to be able to accomodate everyone's needs within that week and keep the flow of the Alpine L2 course going nicely.

As I say, I think the traditional route of the L2 course is the way forward for me. It should be anyway as my intention is to teach on a mountain, I do admit I was curious as to how the costs compared though, and although it does cost more I'd rather do it in resort for 2 weeks. Also personal performance wise there is a lot to be gained from spending 2 weeks on mountain instead of one week indoors and then one week on the mountain.

Ho hum rob@rar we will all have to see what happens with it.
snow conditions
gilleski, Will you be the taking the UKSI courses??
ski holidays
Well, I've completed my 35 hours, got my Level 1 Licence, talked to Andy Jerram (who was my Level 1 Trainer) about it and....

Booked on the course at Tamworth in September.

If any other snowHead snowHead 's want to join me, that would be fab!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy