Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fall-Line Ski of the Year...

Poster: A snowHead
The Wally ski

http://www.sybarites.org/2006/10/20/wally-carbon-fiber-skis/

It has got the word 'Wally' written across it for those who appreciate the finer things in life.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, wandered off.
It's announced in the next mag, but here is Ski of the Year

Ski of the Year: Salomon Lord
Women's Ski of the Year: Head Great One
Runner up: Scott Crusade

Category winners
All-mountain: K2 Apache Xplorer
Jib: Volkl Wall
Big Mountain: Scott Pure
Piste carving: Atomic Doubledeck Varioflex 72
Value: K2 Silencer/ Missconduct

That's a rubbish marketing ploy. No-one needs to read the mag now. Bah, tricked again.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fallliner wrote:
Women's Ski of the Year: Head Great One

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo, it's a swallow tail.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went out to try and buy fallline at lunch, but no-where local to my work seems to stock it. need to wait til i can get to WH Smith at the weekend.

Good to see the Xplorer as a category winner - i wish it would snow so as i could go out and use mine Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got my SNR catalgoue to day...some new faces in there, which was quite a good read...

Anyone want to buy some new, skied once at MK, Glads..???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 'pure' was our favorite ski for 2 years running, but now there is better out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Catch up 'Blighty'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why isn't the salomon lord a category winner as well as overall. It makes no sense
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The 'pure' was our favorite ski for 2 years running, but now there is better out there.

So what's the Radical big mountain ski of the year?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As it's the 'Only' new ski it's category to speak of, it is...............The Salomon Rocker. The Volkl Kuro and Nordica Jah Love came close. But we all love the Rocker. Dynastar XXL is the best, but it's 3 years old now. Shocked And the Pure is still an awesome ski, so is the Blower, Corvus, Katana. Difficult to bring the 'Exotic Brands' into it too much, don't want to seem too........Niché. But they all have some great skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
As it's the 'Only' new ski it's category to speak of, it is...............The Salomon Rocker. The Volkl Kuro and Nordica Jah Love came close. But we all love the Rocker. Dynastar XXL is the best, but it's 3 years old now. Shocked And the Pure is still an awesome ski, so is the Blower, Corvus, Katana. Difficult to bring the 'Exotic Brands' into it too much, don't want to seem too........Niché. But they all have some great skis.

SZK saying nice things about Salomon skis - truly the world is changing. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
isn't the rocker into its third season - first saw them in La Grave in the season before last
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, 2nd, athough i think they only sold, 5 pair worldwide.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, any lowdown on coreUPT - are they just rebadged dynastars?
snow report
I heard really good things about the Rocker, but it sounds like a bit of a heavy tanker for me. Chatted to a guy on a lift with them for a while then raced him on the way down, he slayed the open section (pretty much straightlined it), but I overtook him in the trees Very Happy
snow conditions
Arno, I couldn't possibly tell you if what you are suggesting is 100% the case. wink
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, the Pure has had the nose slightly softened, so it's utterly, totally new. And the paint changed... Oh all right, it's not the latest but there are almost no BM skis sold in the UK and this is a UK test. The Head 103s would have won but Jamie broke the only pair in the UK when he landed on something hard and his leg fell off. It's OK, we found it and put it back on and he's fine. XXLs won last year? BM skis tend to be at least a season old before winning because we need to ride them in decent conditions and the retailers need to hum and ha before stocking them. Rocker is great, for sure.
The racks are getting fatter in the UK...
el nombre, we need to spread the love to all the givers of hampers... Burp.
snow conditions
fallliner, Not true, you make it sound like a deliberate design feature. Which it isn't. Just a resource problem. Year to year wine changes, so does wood, if you have to highlight this fact then you need to for every wood produced ski. See my point?
snow conditions
A good point about wood; it must contribute to inconsistencies in ski construction though the lay-up is well-controlled. Racers certainly favour certain skis because they feel different to others despite being nominally identical. Scott did tweak the Pure's construction to make it more rideable according to the factory folk at the test.
ski holidays
fallliner, Scott USA or Scott(UK) Marketing fed?
ski holidays
i thought they made up pairs by hand flexing skis, at least more at the "hand made" end of the market? so noticeable variations even within a production run?
snow conditions
Arno, This is the reason for the soft tip story. Albeit maybe true compared to the the original ski, this refers to the 'Mean' or 'Average' memory of the wood-stock. The tests cannot be made before the lamination process and therefore are unknown until mid - end of production. Should a certain market refuse a certain model for XYZ reason, then it's not unknown for a Marketing department to inflate certain stats to regain some market-share. The differences between Pure 07/08/09 are impossible to gauge by the user unless skied at maximum limits on ice pack over a consistent period of around 50 runs, however lab tests could show a small net change of 0,0001kn over five points of measurement. Therefore the statement 'The Pure is softer in the tip than before" is 100% true, however this is true of every woodcore ski year on year.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting - i am usually pretty good at being cynical about the claims of marketing men. never crossed my mind that "improvements" were just unpredictable variations in the materials characterised as such. the scales have fallen from my eyes Cool
snow conditions
Herve the Scott ski designer sat down with us before we skied the range and talked us through the changes in all the skis that were carry-through models. He stated he's softened the tip compared with previous seasons as part of his spec.
latest report
fallliner wrote:
Herve the Scott ski designer sat down with us before we skied the range and talked us through the changes in all the skis that were carry-through models. He stated he's softened the tip compared with previous seasons as part of his spec.

Yeah, but that's what I'd say if my tips all came out a bit floppy...
latest report
I'd swallow a pill and make it all better.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy