Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you spend a season?

Poster: A snowHead
OK - summer fantasy thread. Your employer or clients or pension provider or student grant provider say

"You've been doing a great job - have next winter off and here's some cash to tide you over".

Where do you go & why?

The rules

You can only go to one place.
Its fantasy not reality so don't just say the place where you happen to have an appartment etc.
You haven't won the lottery but have enough to live off without working for the winter.
You don't have a crystal ball to forecast where snow will fall.
You have willing childcare and/or partner.
You are allowed occasional day trips to adjacent places but this can only be a minor factor.
You are allowed beaches etc but you really have to justify why you're posting about it on a ski website.
La Ros has been shut down for the winter to level the playing field for other less awesome places.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-05-08 21:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well i was very jealous of johnnyboy spending the season in Val Thorens so i reckon i'd go there

door step skiing, great snow early and late season and easy access to the whole of the 3Vs so plenty to keep me busy for the winter Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll chuck in Rossland/Red Mountain

Real Canuck ski town, bug all gitz n glamour, amazing trees, possibility of becoming a sledneck, Trail nearby for big city culture (Oh OK a big smelter)
Likely to become a better skier by osmosis from the locals.
Not many swedes to get the drop on first tracks.

Downside - Aussies, visitors unlikely
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niseko
Awesome powder reputation, fascinating culture, brilliant food. Runs not to steep for me. Quite like Aussies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alaska. Heliskiing. Why the hell not...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhillipStanton wrote:

No lottery wins in this fantasy - check the rules wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:

No lottery wins in this fantasy - check the rules wink

One assumes that it couldn't be paid for out of small change wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montalbert Very Happy Just ask Cockofthenorth or Redrunmarcus Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jackson. Perhaps Montalbert but most probably Jackson.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whistler, no question. Hell, I'd move there. Vancouver just down the road, great skiing, awesome mountain biking in summer...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Val Thorens for all the reasons Roger C lists. Twice. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is where I have done this and would return to all:

Big Mountain, Montana, USA
Kicking Horse, BC, Canada
Park City, Utah, USA
Keystone, Colorado, USA
Niseko, Japan

This is where I've considered:

Telluride, Colorado, USA
Jackson, Wyoming, USA
Big Sky, Montana, USA
Stranda, Norway
Narvik, Norway
Zinal, Switzerland
Gressoney, Italy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Banff/Lake Louise, Canada.

Whistler is a long 10 hr drive away. OK to go to once or twice at most. Fits the definition of "occasional" road trip.

The season pass is also good for several of the mountains nearby. Basically covering nearly all the canadian interiors.

But the real reason? The hot springs and spas. Wink

(And I like Banff/Lake Louise even better in the summer. So I wouldn't do just a winter "season", I'd stay a couple YEARS!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's what happened this winter. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Somewher with skiing where I/We could make friends in the local community. Skiing is great, but for Me/US it is a very sociable sport. Deep, fresh powder is frowned on by folks giving knee advice so some nice piste skiing would be fine. I would prefer a town with soul rsather than a purpose built resort. Wagrain, La Rosiere, Montalbert, Serre Chevalier, Somewhere in the DOlomites,.......you get the picture.
snow report
Agree with boredsurfin, Montalbert. Where else is there? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Agree with Frosty the Snowman, I wold probably go for either the Dolomites or somewhere off the Inn valley such as Zillertal or Ski Welt.
ski holidays
hmmm:

Southern French Alps (maybe base myself in Briancon)
Las Lenas
If I was allowed the crystal ball and knew there would be good snow, Alagna

As a total pipe dream, start out in Innsbruck and get all the way to the Med under my own steam
ski holidays
Jackson
latest report
Montalbert ......................have just bought a instructors style long rain jacket for those very , very rare days of yuk..... down low wink
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Whistler, no question. Hell, I'd move there. Vancouver just down the road, great skiing, awesome mountain biking in summer...

Why don't you? Would you medical qualifications be recognised over there? It was an idea that we toyed with years ago but I think we'd always lack the courage. Vancouver's weather seemed worryingly similar to Britain's as well! Not sure what all the swimming pools in the gardens are for.

Back on topic. There's plenty of places I'm really keen to visit but I'd probably opt for somewhere I've been before. I think I'd probably chose either Verbier or Whistler, but I might be swayed by Serre Chevalier for old times' sake.

If I decided on somewhere new then I'd probably go to Jackson Hole.
ski holidays
fatbob,

Good question.... initially would have put Le Grave/SC/L2A/ADH or a place near to them, at the top, but would consider BSM.
My first choice now, however, would be VDA...and invite everyone there. In fact, I'll do that anyway but I'll only be there for two weeks or so but you and the crew are quite welcome to pop over... Laughing

The list is coming on nicely....
snow conditions
Ordhan, snap.

alan empty, you usually have to do four years in hardship/rural posts elsewhere in Canada first. I did some time in Newfoundland.
latest report
Serre Chevalier, with montgenevre, milky way, alpe d'huez and les deux alpes not far down the road. Quiet nightlift though.

Not that I've been there, but I think that Val d'Isere would be a good place. Lots of good skiing and better nightlife.

I'd also be tempted to go to the Dolomites.

I think I would go to Serre Che in the end though.
snow report
stoatsbrother, surely 'rural' posts could include small isolated ski areas somewhere in the middle of BC?

Not that I'm a doctor. Nor am I trying to get rid of Kramer Smile
snow report
alan empty, and indeed I know of two GPs who moved to the BC interior - not sure they are near ski hills though, certainly nearer than me though..
snow conditions
Quote:

Not that I'm a doctor. Nor am I trying to get rid of Kramer

Why do they not have Internet in BC
snow conditions
Aspen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmm - needs to be low for January & village life, but go high for November & April. I can do French, but not German so..

Chamonix would be most tempting, with trips to Switzerland and Italy. I'd also think about Serre Che, Morzine, Dolomites, St Martin

Would need to be able to get out on my bike and run with some mates a bit too to keep me sane Shocked
latest report
whistler.. though i have never been to the three valleys so maybe there
snow conditions
Interesting to read so many eulogies regarding Whistler here and in other threads. I went there in 1996 and had a great time, however I was in a pub on Monday chatting to a friend who is an ex Welsh squad member and his boarding (GP wink ) girlfriend who have been there recently for a 10 day trip. They had 10 days of carp visibility, found that many pistes suffered from a total lack of grooming and claimed that many runs marked as "named pistes" on the map were in reality just short "links" between other pistes.
They have sworn never to go there again having had one of their worst holidays ever rolling eyes They did like the food though.
latest report
Yoda wrote:
carp visibility

Stupid fish always get in my goggles too.
ski holidays
alan empty, I think what he meant was they codn't see where they were going.
ski holidays
Quote:
suffered from a total lack of grooming

Sounds horrific rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yoda, that is about right, a lot of runs are links between runs too and not really that different from each other,

but .....

specific pistes are advertised each day at the lifts 'as pisted' and others are not - but is this a bad thing? ...... bad vis generally means snow - but is this a bad thing? To be honest it is best to head off to the Harmony/Symphony/7th Heaven bowls for fun if you find the tree lined piste/connecting piste sking a bit boring and I can not believe a boarder even bothered with the pisted runs that link the main pistes Very Happy Talk about having a half empty glass wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Smile
latest report
Yoda,

Don't let your friends ever go to La Grave then if that's the grumbles they come up with. If an individual's frame of reference for skiing is mile after mile of motorway in Meribel etc then anywhere in North America will be a disappointment.

I agree that the weather is hit and miss - it's little comfort knowing that there's 1.5m of fresh sitting up in the Alpine reaady to be enjoyed if the upper mountain has been closed by a storm most of your holiday and you've "enjoyed" drizzle lower down all holiday.
ski holidays
Jackson. Yurp just doesn't get enough pow. I'd spend all day skiing around on my 65mm 165 SLs and show those fat-ski fans how it's really done. Razz
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I agree with your sentiments, and I like La Rosiere (been there twice) but it's stretching a point to suggest it's got a lot of soul, don't you think? wink I like Les Saisies, but I wouldn't try to sell it as possessing "soul"....
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Jackson. Yurp just doesn't get enough pow. I'd spend all day skiing around on my 65mm 165 SLs and show those fat-ski fans how it's really done. Razz

I'm with you SSB. That's what I do in my part of Japan (although I'm on 170s). Every day is deep Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy