Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just bought this.

Poster: A snowHead
stab, isnt there anyone at home that can source one and send it to you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DebbiDoesSnow,
http://youtube.com/v/vKNmqS4nSYY&feature=related
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
quick google found loads of UK shops selling spares, eg

http://extremekiteshop.com/kites/accessories-mountainboards-c-26_58.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab,

http://www.mbseurope.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_mbs.asp?idCategory=43

£10.00 for a set of 8
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dobz, I need these ones. 35 quid Sad
http://www.mbseurope.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=122

I found a shop in zurich that does them at 7 francs each. Will order them tomorrow morning.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still off the road Sad
unbelievably after an age of dicking around with swiss shops and spending far too much on orders that arrive in the wrong size I ordered them from extremekiteshop. I will never again order anything from switzerland, it just isnt worth the hassle.
Fingers crossed I'm back on the road in a week Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab wrote:
Fingers crossed I'm back on the road in a week Smile

no chance loser NehNeh

Unbelievably the 5th, yes the 5TH set of bearings I ordered turned up today, in the wrong size Evil or Very Mad

What part of this order is confusing?
Quote:
please please please send me the 9.5 X 22mm bearings, I have an atom 95x board.

I even called to make sure they sent the right ones. Mad
Order number 6 is in progress, p/ssed off doesn't even come close.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good luck!

Nothing constructive to suggest, of course, but I wish you well in this endeavour Neh Neh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it can't go wrong this time I hope, direct from MBS themselves. Cut out the middle monkeys.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
exactly a month after I broke it I have new bearings and am back on the road Very Happy Let the fresh injuries and hiker abuse commence Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, whoo hoo finally, lets see some action shots now
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab, excellent, now make sure you get rid of that brake.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
stab, whoo hoo finally, lets see some action shots now

the field next to my house is where I make my kicker things in the winter, in summer it looks like I could do the same. Waited for the farmer to cut the grass and a few days ago it was like freshly pisted snow, all short and smooth looking, wey hey thinks I, for I shall surely build, and they shall surely come. But no, today the muck spreader went over it, at least 2 inches of fresh shoite on it now Sad

Quote:
now make sure you get rid of that brake

for the last time, it's an accelerator.*

* If I let go of it I go hellish fast Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, damn the poo spreading, what they have to go and do that for ! I bet it smells divine too Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
stab, damn the poo spreading, what they have to go and do that for ! I bet it smells divine too Laughing

oh it's all smiles and sunshine around my house at the moment. At least they didnt hit the windows with it like last year.
ski holidays
stab, Laughing

On a good day here you can smell the pig farm, oh what a wonderful aroma that is when you are trying to relax in your garden Evil or Very Mad
snow report
yay I crashed, ripped my trousers and my hand, have a few stones in there now, awesome. Cool
snow report
new toys incoming, w00t w00t

btw, mountain boarding is awesome, speed wobbles are not. Need to spend more money I think on matrix trucks.
ski holidays
Nice board, have you tried a mountain board/kite set up yet?
snow conditions
I don't see any accelerator on this one.....
snow report
Swirly wrote:

No but I have to admit it sounds cool.

Quote:
I don't see any accelerator on this one.....

Internal one on this.
snow report
stab, are u sure it isnt a break ..........
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:

There aren't any beaches in Switzerland for that Laughing

Have you been down to West Kirby then Swirly??

Stab - channel trucks are better than skate trucks.
ski holidays
Longboarding - arghhhhhhhh [shudders]

Tried it last year - NEVER again. We started off with several sessions in Tesco car park - brilliant I thought. Really enjoyed that. A week later Ellie and I went with some friends from the mountain boarding centre we go to to make use of the rather long drive belonging to the local squire's crib.

The drive is about 3/4 mile long, really smooth tarmac, a wee bit steep near the top but then levelled out into a really gentle slope with some nice sweeping bends. In fact, apart from the top part, if you were walking you would not notice the incline - that's how easy it was.

So there's the five of us at the top, (we took our dog with us as well), I jump on a board and start rolling down the hill. After about 30 yards, I'm thinking that I'm going a bit fast but will soon slow down when it gets on the flatter bit.

WRONG, oh so bloody wrong.

I tried to carve it to slow it down but just couldn't. Half way down and the only part of me that wasn't paralysed with fear was my bladder. I'm travelling at what seemed to be 100mph on a piece of wood with very small wheels in each corner and I could not get the thing to slow down.

On the right hand side of the drive was grass but it was scrappy and uneven near the edge, on the left hand side was an electric fence and at the end of the drive was a bloody CATTLE GRID Skullie

I had to bail out somehow before hitting the cattle grid. I thought I'd run the board onto the grass and hope it was even enough to allow the board to slow down enough for me to jump off. At least if I fell it would be on grass. I picked my spot and prepared to do a heelside turn - but nothing happended and I just sailed on past it Puzzled

I am now on the last bend before the cattle grid. If I had hit that, I think I would have sailed through the air like something in a cartoon - and then, again in cartoon stylee, been scraped up off the floor. The grass on the right of me had turned into a small wood. Then a rather steep bank emerged with a metal fence running along the top of it. I'm about 40 ft from the cattle grid by now and travelling at 99 mph - I decided to just run the board into the bank.

I somehow had the presence of mind to actually prepare for the board coming to an abrupt stop and when it did I was ready to roll. Which I did. Several times, after being bounced off the side of the bank. Being bounced off the side of the bank was a fortunate occurence as I had a fleeting vision of being thrown in the air and becoming impaled on the metal fence.

When I eventually came to a stop after the third roll, I checked myself for injuries and embarrassing wet patches (none found thankfully). The only injuries were a few minor grazes, knocks and a ripped pocket of my jeans.

I started walking back up the drive. At some point, whilst I had been defying death further down the drive, Ellie had set off from the top bringing the dog (Bob) on his extending lead. I saw her heading towards me and also noted the look on her face - sheer terror as she too realised that it was a little bit faster than Tesco's car park.

I could see poor Bob running for dear life behind her, his lead almost fully extended. He's only a little dog and I was very concerned that his little legs wouldn't be able to keep up and he would end up like the dog that was tied to the back of the car in National Lampoons Vacation. I shouted at her to let go of the lead which she eventually managed to do. She flew past me saying "Mummy dearest, I think I am going a little too fast what's the best way of stopping this?" Actually, the words she screamed were "how the f****g hell do you stop this". I know this for a fact, as her words reverberated around the Bickerton Hills for quite a few minutes afterwards.

Despite my own woes, I was nearly wetting myself laughing. It was such a cartoon like, comical and almost surreal moment as she went past me at great speed. I told her to run onto the grass on the right hand side and roll off. She did get the board onto the grass but she didn't get herself ready to roll over. It's amazing the braking effect that clumps of grass can have - I was surprised at how quickly the board stopped and equally surprised at the caterpault effect the board had on Ellie. The tremendous somersault that she managed to perform would have earned her a silver medal at Beijing - the landing would have cost her the gold Toofy Grin

No serious injuries thankfully and it was delightful and very satisfying a few minutes later when Clive fell into the electric fence Twisted Evil Clive, I must add, is (usually) an excellent longboarder and mountain boarder.

Suffice to say, longboards are a definite no no in our household - I would rather use the ironing board Laughing

stab, Beware!
snow report
Dobz, Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Excellent stuff! Fancy not getting a video though rolling eyes .
snow conditions
maggi, Thankfully no video or photographic evidence.

Mind you, it would have been hilarious to have seen it all in slow motion Laughing
ski holidays
Anyone know where I can try mountain boarding on the eastern Peak District?
snow conditions
Dobz wrote:

Tried it last year - NEVER again.

hahahahaha, good story.
And now the reason for my brake becomes clear Smile Dont you have to scrub off the speed with hard carves on these things? Or does that make you go faster because of the flex in the board?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dobz, Laughing
latest report
Great story Dobz! NehNeh Twisted Evil
snow report
stab wrote:
Dobz wrote:

Tried it last year - NEVER again.

hahahahaha, good story.
And now the reason for my brake becomes clear Smile Dont you have to scrub off the speed with hard carves on these things? Or does that make you go faster because of the flex in the board?

I don't think you can get brakes for longboards - can't see how you could fix one to those sort of wheels. You do have to carve to reduce your speed like any board be it snow, mountain or skate.

By using the flex in the board you can actually get it and keep it moving from standstill on the flat - hardwork and it's much easier to push off with one foot Laughing
snow report
Kramer, Shropshire may be the nearest to you - Much Wenlock to be precise.
http://www.ridetheedge.co.uk/mountainboarding.htm

There was a centre at Chesterfield but I'm not sure if it's closed down.

http://www.atbauk.org/portal/index.php?page=1
snow report
Dobz, I don't have a set up unfortunately, my brother does but he lives down south, how often do you go there? Great story! I do have a longboard if you get the urge to try again Laughing
ski holidays
stab, If you need a kite too, my son is going to be selling his. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Swirly, I've not actually been out on the sands at West Kirby yet - I work just down the road at Meols so have seen them out there. I would love to have a go at it though. My nephew is into kite flying and he wants to give it a try so we can do a mutual swapsie - he's got the kite, I've got the board Laughing

I will never, ever have the urge to longboard again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mountain Boarding, good fun but they don't make these things well Sad

After the drama that was a month of no bearings I was back on the road. Been using the board a lot in the summer, major hikes followed by major rides. Even wore my tyres out, had holes all over them, new red T3 tyres ordered and I was back on the road.
Yesterday I went to scheidegg - wengernalp - mettlenalp - allmend - wengen - back on the train to scheidegg all afternoon, this is my standard run. Got to the pub after my last run and there's this hard black melted plastic all over my wheels/brakes. Took the wheel apart just now and this is what I see, the poxy wheels have melted, both rear ones, the only thing just holding the rear tyres on is the actual disc, and I've been gunning it lately on this thing, a rear blowout would have seriously mangled me up.
Now I'm left with melted wheels I can't use, MBS europe are out of stock on replacements (which will melt anyway if I buy them) and to go up to rockstar/twistar hubs I need to change my trucks, and to be honest I think the tristar will melt as well seeing as they look to be plastic also so it's rockstar hubs then, 90 quid, plus the bearings to fit them, plus new trucks Evil or Very Mad I think it's cheaper to buy a new comp 95 and swap the brake over to it from the old board.

/rant over, the moral of the story is anyone wanting to buy one of these should go in high and get the most expensive one they can, going in cheap to see if you like it is a false economy.

edit: sod it, I'm going to complain again to MBS.
snow report
stab, That is amazing - I've never known wheels to melt before. Shocked

Was it the brake that caused it?

scheidegg - wengernalp - mettlenalp - allmend - wengen - that is a long run to do. I would think that going that distance and using your brake would generate quite a bit of heat.

I think MBS may be interested in knowing what happened.
latest report
Dobz wrote:
stab, That is amazing - I've never known wheels to melt before. Shocked

Was it the brake that caused it?

scheidegg - wengernalp - mettlenalp - allmend - wengen - that is a long run to do. I would think that going that distance and using your brake would generate quite a bit of heat.

I think MBS may be interested in knowing what happened.

Scheidegg - wengen is the run I do most of the time, I thought it was a short one, only takes half hour Wink
I'm not using the brake so much these days, I guess it was the disc that melted the wheel, well it has to be really. I emailed MBS anyway and put it to them that this was far from normal and I won't be ordering anything from them until they tell me the new wheels won't melt. I'll see how that goes.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Mr L has just bought a Flowboard. Yet to see what that's all about, but it's a lot cheaper.

So what did he think ? Its just been pimped in the Metro as a fitness workout Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy