Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just bought this.

Poster: A snowHead

No doubt I'll break something this summer. Almost bought one last year but never found time, this year I'm making time.
Not really the one I wanted but I haven't got 300 quid for that one, seeing as I got robbed 2 weeks back on my surf trip Sad

Anyone got one, anyone tried one? After scouring youtube it looks like you can jib them about a bit as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab, I think Dobz is into this kind of lunacy Toofy Grin
I know a few good bone-menders ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre wrote:

Dobz doesn't stand wide enough on a snowboard and as such should be ignored until she moves her bindings further apart, and gets some baggy clown trousers.

This could be the one board sport where I wear my helmet 100% of the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab wrote:

This could be the one board sport where I wear my helmet 100% of the time.

Together with every other bit of body armour you own/beg/borrow or steal Toofy Grin

Should be an exciting ride, might be a bit bumpy, unless you can find a smooooth slope or 2.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, But they're called 'Mountain' or 'Grass' Boards arent they ?? If so, think you'll find she now keeps her legs together for sensible reasons Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr L has just bought a Flowboard. Yet to see what that's all about, but it's a lot cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aggh, just decided to sell mine (MBS Comp 16), could have saved you a fair bit!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks bl00dy scary to me Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DebbiDoesSnow, because snowboarding is a bit like knitting, innit. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Laughing snow is softer than grass, rocks & tarmac in my experience !
OH said his mate had one, rode it to the pub, not a hill insight... what was the point of that ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

snow is softer than grass

Oh yes? I could wish I'd taken pictures of the bruise on my knee after I hit a patch of 'soft' snow last January.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, I think that is called ICE wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ive had a go on one that was petrol powered after i had a few beers
it was quick but very hard
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The plan is to fit my old snowboard bindings to it, I figured the less chance of my getting my feet to come off the board the less chance of dying.
Quote:

aggh, just decided to sell mine (MBS Comp 16), could have saved you a fair bit!!

Damn, thats a nice board the 16, I really wanted this one, the comp 95x, I'll no doubt be wanting to change the board as soon as I get it because the atom is a wood board and probably doesnt flex Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stab, my brothers got one, mainly for use with a kite but I found a big hill and just rode it down that. They're good fun, I just rode it like a snowboard, my feet didn't come out when I fell which surprised me a bit and it's impossible to catch an edge
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:

Correct. And it is called Mountain boarding Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Agenterre wrote:

Dobz doesn't stand wide enough on a snowboard and as such should be ignored until she moves her bindings further apart, and gets some baggy clown trousers.

Oyyyy Shocked but I'v only got little legs and they don't make baggy clown trousers in kiddie sizes Laughing
snow report
stab, Have you got a brake kit on it?

Wus

Razz
snow report
I've got an MBS Core 16 - a few years old now - wooden deck with a fair bit of pop. My daughter has an MBS Leon Robbins - much more stable at speed, lighter and pop like a weasel.

I prefer bindings that you can get your feet out of in a fall so am still using the basic bindings - forgot what they are called.

stab, ALWAYS wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads and wrist guards. Bum pads are pretty useful too as is body armour - does depend on the type of riding you're doing and the terrain.

Have you learned to stop it yet - power slide? If you haven't you really need to before getting out on the steep stuff. Rails are a doddle on one of these - much easier than a snowboard (not that I've ever tried a rail on my snowboard Sad )

Me on a rail !

Ellie

Swirly, It is almost the same as snowboarding but there are a few little tweaks that you can do to get your turns in quicker - which if you did on a snowboard could probably result in a serious edge catch and face plant!! You won't catch an edge but you can get a speed wobble which can somersault you over before you know what's happened Embarassed

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 20-05-08 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dobz, have you tried this insaneness ?
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, Oh yes. Very Happy

Been mountain boarding for about 5 years now Very Happy Fortunately there is a centre about 5 miles from where I live so can get to board most weekends.

The centre even has a drag lift to get you to the top of the hill - the only drag lift I have never fallen off Toofy Grin There is also two boarder cross courses, a freestyle area with rails, jumps, ramps, plus a large grassy hill and several other runs.

You can mountain board anywhere where there is a hill you can climb to the top of. Very Happy
snow report
Dobz wrote:
stab, ALWAYS wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads and wrist guards. Bum pads are pretty useful too as is body armour - does depend on the type of riding you're doing and the terrain.

Gonna give the race track a go, see what's going on up at eigergletscher as well but mostly the crappy run (scheidegg - bumps - allmend - wengen) from scheidegg with a little detour left at wengernalp.
Helmet, back protector and knee pads I have, I don't believe in wrist guards, they can join my list of useless things like edges on a snowboard and skis. I saw somewhere gloves for this stuff with a hockey puck thing on the palm to slide on.

[quote=Dobz"]stab, Have you got a brake kit on it?[/quote]

Um, no Embarassed that handle thing is probably an accelerator of some kind or something else equally as extreme I expect.

Noice picture on the rail, if you think it's easy on one of these boards then you should hit them up on the snowboard, a 50/50 is the easiest thing you could ever do.
snow conditions
stab, The handle thing is the brake! Works a bit like a bike brake lever and cable.

Think the gloves with the "hockey puck thing" you have seen are for long boarding.

Have fun and enjoy Smile

Oh and let us have a "trip" report Laughing
ski holidays
Dobz wrote:
stab, The handle thing is the brake! Works a bit like a bike brake lever and cable.

no no no, it's definitely an accelerator, I notice you don't have one on your board, wus NehNeh
snow conditions
woo yay it arrived Very Happy

Now I'm off to scheidegg, without my helmet but don't tell the missus.
snow report
stab, Thats a very clean floor for a guy, does the missus do your housework wink

p.s don't use your head as brake !!!!
snow conditions
stab, I look forward to seeing the x-rays Evil or Very Mad
latest report
It's awesome this mountainboard thing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, are you afraid your face will crack our screens Laughing

and wheres the action shots ?
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, you never know.

action shots won't be for a while yet. I just about get down the mountain hanging onto my brake for dear life.
snow report
stab, so it was a brake then Laughing
snow report
Swirly, Laughing

stab, wuss !
latest report
Swirly, oops. I meant I just about get up the mountain hanging on to the accelerator.
snow conditions
stab, Glad you enjoyed it Smile Smile Smile

Might be an idea to get a leash - although I guess if you're holding your brake cable (snigger, snigger) you might not lose your board down the mountain Laughing Laughing

Heel straps are useful too.

do you have to hoof it to the top or are there any lifts working during the summer?
latest report
Dobz wrote:
stabdo you have to hoof it to the top or are there any lifts working during the summer?

no lifts running, that might lead to people having fun so they knock that on the head right away. I work on Scheidegg and don't pay for the trains so I run down from Scheidegg. Just did Scheidegg - Wengernalp - mettlernalp - bottom of bumps to allmend - down to wengen train station. Only problem is the old people walking around taking photos of flowers, don't they know that the rule 'its my mountain' also applies in summer?
I noticed with some carving going on I dont need the brake much, but I'm sure as hell not taking it off Embarassed
I really like it, ok it's not snowboarding but it is fun. I managed to hit my house yesterday and made my arm and knee look like a scab pizza. Wicked Very Happy
snow conditions
stab, Actually, I think the brake is a good idea and if I was riding somewhere like you are I would put one on mine.

Carving will slow you like on snow. Also, and you may have realised this, but longer grass will slow you down too.

Hitting houses is not good - you could at least hit the pub !! Laughing
snow report
balls, after yesterday I seem to have ripped the bearings out of one wheel, I only noticed as I was tearing down to wengernalp today, the front left wheel was wobbling around like an idiot, I don't know how it didn't come off.

Kind of sucks to be honest, I thought these things were at least built to withstand a mountain. I've only used it in anger twice and already it's fubared. Have to see if my normal skateboard can donate some bearings but I think they are slightly too small.
ski holidays
Dobz wrote:
stabAlso, and you may have realised this, but longer grass will slow you down too.

I haven't tried it on grass yet, should I be? Puzzled
latest report
as soon as you learn to pwoerslide you can take the brake off, one less thing to worry about Smile
snow conditions
and the bearing saga continues, been without a wheel now since sunday, nobody in switzerland it seems has these bearings. I give up, made in china piece of shoite.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy