Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

do u dislike/hate snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, Guvnor, I don't think I indicated that I expected more - he did seem genuinely concerned about the incident, but I would still give him a cool reception if I ever saw him again. More to the point it did make me more conscious/jittery than I had been about the proximity of snowboarders, esp. one little idiot that came down behind me on a piste and seem to delight in making board-y graunching noises in the snow just a metre of so behind me, despite me even stopping to letting him past at one point he then managed to reverse the procedure to get behind me again - I'm sure deliberately - at least that was how it felt, so much so that I did turn round when we got the lift and gave him a real earful Embarassed He certainly didn't get the benefit of the doubt that he might have done if I hadn't been taken out the day before, I do wonder if his behaviour was accidental or deliberate though Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, So you actually had a pop at a snowboarder for NOT having an accident with you Shocked ? I fear this says more about you than 'boarders.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, have you got a bullseye painted on your back ?

I really can't imagine anyone would do that on purpose, there is far more fun to be had on the moutiain than terrorising nervous skiers!
Maybe he was a learner too (had you considered that ?) and was worried about the line you took, so stayed behind you long enough to see what you were doing? Theres nothing worse than when you need some speed on your board, and being stuck behind an erratic learner (skier or boarder !) wanting to get past but not knowing where they are going next or wanting to spook them.

Who knows but most people on the mountain are out to enjoy themselves doing their preferred sport, not to harrass. And, yes there are many inconsiderate people with bad manners but I'm sure even that isnt intentional !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, get a grip, woman, you're becoming paranoid. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, Well, yes I did hence the embarassed smileys in the post (and I've admitted to it), but it did feel vey disconcerting given the proximity to being taken down the day before - though I guess he couldn't have known that the incident had happened - hence Mr Snowboarder if you are reading and were bawled out by a beginner skier in VT at the Moraine lift in VT by a skier in an orange sleeved jacket then I'm sorry, but there were things going on my mind that you weren't and couldn't have been aware of.

DebbiDoesSnow, The annoying thing is that I had deliberately let him go past so that he could have the slope to himself and given him a few minutes start on me. Also, I was getting good enough at that point to be turning predictably enough for him to get past.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a skier I have had more trouble with two-plankers than tray-boys. And what about the usual cluster of numpty skiers peering over any little lip or roll on a slope...

Megamum, Sounds like you better travel anonymously and where something inconspicuous. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, you were obviously going too fast Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DebbiDoesSnow I think your a bit naive. There are alot of skiers who seem to have issues with boarders. Initially I assumed as there are more skiers, and idiots are a percentage of the human race there are more idiot skiers, But no... i really think skiers do tend to look down on boarders and often i find myself deliberately buzzed by skiers.
Im a middle aged boarder and hence once sat down (boots out of view) in a bar/restaurant it is assumed i'm a skier and overhear very derogatory conversations about boarders:(

I have a close family member who skis and has proudly boasted deliberately spraying seated boarders, to the extent they have been chased by them.

Megamum Hand on heart, if that had been a skier who hit you, would you really have reacted the same way?

Unfortunately the first day EVER on a mountain , in protected beginners area (the one at the end of the plan peisey lift in les arcs with the pom lift), i was taken out from behind by a group of skiers who used it as a cut throu skiing at full speed. My friend later commented on how they actually tried to buzz me but failed and hit me hard. I layed on the ground for a long time.

... so no love lost.

Tux
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Maybe that orange suit blinds all behind you! I think most of the snowboarder/skier thing is best not taken seriously! I dont really hate snowboarders I just like making fun of them and monoskiers oh and telemarkers Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Think people need to understand that both borders and skiers have bad habbits but we all enjoy making fun of each other so let the friendly mud slinging continue!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tuxpoo, Yes, I'd have had had a go at a skier had it been them - as I said at the outset - I don't have an ulterior problem with boarders. Mind you it does raise an interesting question - look out for a new topic
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tuxpoo wrote:
There are alot of skiers who seem to have issues with boarders. Initially I assumed as there are more skiers, and idiots are a percentage of the human race there are more idiot skiers, But no... i really think skiers do tend to look down on boarders and often i find myself deliberately buzzed by skiers.
Im a middle aged boarder and hence once sat down (boots out of view) in a bar/restaurant it is assumed i'm a skier and overhear very derogatory conversations about boarders Tux

you may be right there, a near miss with a boarder is a 'badge of honour', a near miss with a skier is quickly forgotten. All silly imho Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a large and very visible boarder, I get buzzed/harassed/abused by skiers fairly often, including:
  • the Bulgarian beginner who ski'd into me on my very first day on a board, managing to twist my knee, bruise my shin, and in a move which points to the lack of justice in this life, ended up apparently unhurt himself. He had about 5 seconds to fall over before hitting me, but chose to plow into me (literally) instead; these days I'd just hop out of the way, but it was my very first day on a board. Fitzwilliam. He then tried to pick me up - an ambitious project for anyone, let alone a beginner - while his skis were still twisted in my board, thereby causing me further pain.
  • the Bulgarian instructor who very purposefully buzzed me and clipped me with his ski-pole - on my first week on the snow - as I sat off the side of the piste. He was showing off to the gaggle of women he was with. I yelled a few choice words after him, but there was no need... my very own boarding expert Jules went after him and sprayed him with ice-slush in revenge, as Stupid Instructor had to stop to attend to one of his flock - actually this one left me feeling good as at least one of the women was chuckling by the time Jules was done.
  • the Austrian show-off who whizzed past me at a good ~15m/s at the bottom of the run, on the flat . When I say "whizzed past me", I mean with less than 6 inches clearance from my nose. If I'd fallen forward or knelt down, it would have been very, very ugly for both parties. He did have the good grace to say sorry after I gave him some loud 'advice' in his native tongue, but I do wonder how much of his motivation to apologise came from the fact that he realised he was about to be trapped in front of me in a lift queue and I had about 4" and 100lb on him... Evil or Very Mad
  • the Austrian man who hit me with his ski-pole - on purpose - and yelled at me when I stopped to apologise for riding near the group of women he was teaching (one of them had fallen over in shock at my passing some 6ft away).
  • the all-time favourite - a woman who just plain ski'd into me at pace from uphill, and then proceeded to give it large in French before demonstrating that she was no beginner (and hence had no excuse) by picking herself up and flying down the piste with - I admit - good style.

So although I have been made nervous once or twice by boarders, skiers are more to be feared in my book. That scraping noise so many two-plankers cite as sending shivers of dread down their spine is - guess what - the noise a board makes when you slow down on ice to avoid hitting someone! Razz

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-05-08 15:17; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
but 2 be fair if u cant ride 2 the side of the piste then u cant ride down

tuxpoo wrote:

There are alot of skiers who seem to have issues with boarders. Initially I assumed as there are more skiers, and idiots are a percentage of the human race there are more idiot skiers, But no... i really think skiers do tend to look down on boarders and often i find myself deliberately buzzed by skiers.Tux

do u think that may be cause there are alot of posh skiers who have been sking from before snowboarding came about and are so up tight i cant think of anything to express it?

but my most hated/disliked form of skier are the little kids.
it 1st started when i was learning and they put me to shame but that wasnt enough for them, it in the line for the lift where they really get me going. just walk stright passed you like there is no 1 else there. sometimes i want to hit one but so far i have thought better of it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is like the bad grammar thread, yobs are yobs whatever they've got on their feet, whatever their age and irrespective of their poshness (whatever that is). I prefer to assume that the person who apologises for colliding with me, and is at pains to assure me that it was his/her fault, is unlikely to have mown me down deliberately. It is a fact of life on the slopes that not everyone on them is in 100% control of his/her movements. The pistes are dangerous for this reason and that's all there is to it. Lack of technical expertise aside, there are just as many thoughtless skiers as there are thoughtless boarders.

There's only one thing about boarders that freaks me out a bit and that is when it seems as though they cannot, by virtue of their position on the board relative to the slope, possibly be looking where they're going! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
now back to my origional reason for this post, the link i have put out has had asmany clicks now as scuk (the largest snowboard forum as far as i know) in less than half the time so good job
Hurtle, what is the point of pointing out my shi t spelling if it has already been done 10 times on this post alone and i already know about it. is there any reason?
snow report
tuxpoo, I just live for love and peace man Toofy Grin
snow report
sideshow bobbers, maybe Hurtle is hoping that you may take the time to find the Y and the O keys on the keyboard....as at the moment you only seem to find the U wink
ski holidays
sideshow bobbers,
Quote:

Hurtle, what is the point of pointing out my shi t spelling if it has already been done 10 times on this post alone and i already know about it. is there any reason?

Huh Puzzled

Where have I commented on your style of writing at all, let alone your spelling? I have no objection to your writing in 'textese' if that's what you want to do.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
This is like the bad grammar thread
or was that not refuring to me, if so then i take back waht i said and im sorry
ski holidays
sideshow bobbers, no worries. Yeah, there's an incredibly anal thread on bad grammar, in Apres.
ski holidays
[quote="stoatsbrother"]As a skier I have had more trouble with two-plankers than tray-boys. And what about the usual cluster of numpty skiers peering over any little lip or roll on a slope...

[quote]

Spot on about the numpties every time the gradient changes. I fear megamum needs to grow a thicker skin if she's going to bawl people out for not even colliding with her.
snow report
To be honest, I've genuinely never seen/experienced any problems between skiers and boarders.

I'm a skier - and yes I've been knocked over by boarders in the past - but I've also had close scrapes with other skiers too.

Maybe it's sort of places that I've been skiing; maybe I have rose-tinted goggles. But I really think this ski vs. board thing is overstated.

I should at this point confess my bias: that whilst I am a skier - all my friends are boarders. So maybe I've been de-sensitized!
snow report
All the boarders at the EoSB were very nice people Toofy Grin If they were a representative selection boarders must be OK people
snow conditions
Megamum, they're the same as other people - some of them are stars and others are knobwits.

In my experience the ski vs board thing (such as it is these days - the whole thing is a bit retro 80s if you ask me) stems from practitioners of both disciplines failing to understand what their oppos are doing/likely to do. I find skiers to be worse, which I suggest is down to the fact that while almost all boarders can ski at some level, most skiers have never boarded and have no clue about it.

As far as deliberate 'buzzing' goes, I've never seen it/been subjected to it in over 10 seasons.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Megamum, they're the same as other people - some of them are stars and others are knobwits.

Now that's calling it as it is Toofy Grin Well said.
snow conditions
Lizzard, Fazakerley.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
As far as deliberate 'buzzing' goes, I've never seen it/been subjected to it in over 10 seasons.

It's happened to me at least once (the Bulgarian ski instructor - see above). I think it is thankfully rare.
snow conditions
Hurtle, that's where I was born.

Lizzard, I don't know if the guy who caused me to break my nose in Tignes was deliberately trying to buzz me but he certainly came too close.

Anyway all boarders are knob jockeys. End of discussion.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, it's SUCH a lovely name, that's why I take it in vain in that way, sometimes. Hope it didn't annoy you.
latest report
Hurtle, not at all. It depends on whether you pronounce each syllable or use the local dialect: Faz-ack-a-LEE rolling eyes
snow conditions
Swirly, oh every syllable, I wouldn't dream of depriving the name of a single one! Toofy Grin
latest report
Swirly wrote:
Hurtle, that's where I was born.

Me too! Very Happy
ski holidays
I don't think boarders are any more likely to be inconsiderate and /or dangerous than skiers once you take account of the demographic difference in adoption. Until the last couple of years young males were more likely to take up snowboarding than skiing and as car insurance prices show, young males are on average more likely to take risks, drive/ride faster than appropriate etc....

I must admit that in Les Deux Alpes in 2005 I was very shocked at how out of control large numbers of huge teenage boys were on their boards but I think the difference is less now as more and more boarders take lessons and as twin tips attract more teenagers to skiing who 3 years ago would definitely have boarded.

One bad habit that I do think is more widespread amongst boarders than skiers is that of cutting between pistes or leaving the piste and then re-joining it and doing so at speed and taking air when they do not have a clear view of the piste they are rejoining and its users. I have seen this too often and on the worst occasion it could have been fatal. We were on an easy red or blue in Solden that curved around a hummock as it descended to the right, we were behind a boy of about 10 when a boarder suddenly appeared over the crest of this hummock in the air above us with the edge of his board making a direct line for the boy's head. The 10 year boy didn't even see him but fortunately the boarder saw the boy just in time to twist in the air and avoid hitting the child, he landed very badly on his shoulder and rib cage at the far edge of the piste and bounced off it down a lip. I was properly shocked as in gasping for breath.
snow report
Hullite, when did you last see a huge teenage boy who was in control in any sort of circumstances and regardless of his mode of transport? And what makes you think they're better on park skis than on boards? 'Out of control' is their baseline state. Laughing
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Megamum, have you got a bullseye painted on your back ?

I really can't imagine anyone would do that on purpose,

I would and I do. Spraying people that I decide are doing something wrong is also popular with me. And don't forget gathering the snow from my board to throw at people when I'm on the lift.
ski holidays
stab, oo you rebel wink
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, I know, real seat of my pants life on the edge stuff uh Laughing
snow report
My snowboarding nephew, a lovely guy, was quite upset at being the target of some abuse whilst sitting just OFF the edge of the piste, getting his breath back, in March. Nothing too horrible, just pointing and laughing - on one occasion from an ESF instructor on the chairlift overhead. Showing off, no doubt to his pupils. Maybe it was because he was on my board with rather girlie graphics and has quite long hair! Whatever, it's infantile. I, on the other hand, have been very gratified by the very friendly reaction I've had from French boarders, on the rare occasions I venture out on my board. They are obviously amused to see such an old trout on a plank. In the last six seasons the only collision I've had (which was when I was on skis) was with a little French teenager on skis, trying to keep up with a mate and out of control down a steep red. He took me out, but he had a much bigger fall than I did. He realised he was in the wrong and was very contrite and apologetic. But I have skied with a number of beginners who are quite absurdly paranoid about anyone within 30 metres of them, and keep looking round trying to spot who's coming. I tell them endlessly, and usually in vain, just to ignore everything behind them and try to turn fairly predictably, as there's nothing like looking over your shoulder to have a beginner going A over T.
snow conditions
pam w, didn't know trouts could snowboard Laughing reminds me of that guiness advert with the fish & the bicycle
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, possibly we should all do an Old Trouts' Boarding Bash next season. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy