Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Racing- 2008

Poster: A snowHead
For family Nick W this weekend sees the start of the dry slope racing season with the Club National opener at Welwyn (hosted by Hemel Ski Racing Club) on Saturday and the first ERSA summer league race on the Sunday at the same venue.
Hope to see some familiar snowHead snowHead there. I see GrahamN (looking forward to War and Peace reports Little Angel ) is listed along with at least one gsb offspring and I know the carosa junior is there. Who else?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck to all racing. It's sad to see the number of slopes at which races can be held dwindling. Has anyone managed to get effective and usable gates into any dry-slope surface other than dendix yet? It seems all my old stomping (quite literally!) grounds have been swallowed up by SnowFlex and PermaSnow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sideshow_Bob,
Quote:

effective and usable gates into any dry-slope

Don't think so. They tried at Bracknell a year or so back, but without success. Maybe snow domes are the way to go..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck everyone racing at the weekend - first race for me is going to be the Chill Factore next weekend (if I make the cut!), so not onto the plastic fantastic until 11th May Shocked Had I known the OH was going to end up working this weekend I would have entered the Hemel CN at Welwyn Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, at MK they are very wary of putting in poles as no one has a map of where the cooling pipes are and they have to check snow depth before drilling or risk going through a pipe at major expense. hopefully the newer domes will be able to handle gates or at least lable where the pipes are rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, Didn't know that. Have raced there a few times - you even get (very small) ruts - just like the real thing. On the other hand - racing in the summer just isn't the same with 100s of discarded cans of Mr Sheen and the like at the start.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I heard Rossendale was no more. Shame, we'll never again get to see the delights of Dave Durgan's ski technique there again

Same with Llandudno and Frank Reardon:

I guess hacking has long since been erased from the dry-slope skiing manual, even at Pendle!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, There's still a few old school types around - mind you these days the courses have turns in them too ! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, as ski says there's the odd inveterate stomper still around (one notorious one in my age group on both Sat and Sun). And there are a few younsters with repertoires of just as spectacular moves in those photos - particularly one young turk from gsb's club Laughing .

So how about you coming out this summer and showing us what it's all about? (Just as long as you're not in my agegroup Wink )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideshow_Bob, hate to tell you but Rossendale is still there - in fact most of the matting probably hasn't been changed since you last raced there rolling eyes tho they do have a GP this year so maybe they've done a bit more resurfacing since I crossed the divide to Pendle Very Happy

skimottaret, interesting, didn't know that about MK - certainly don't seem to have any issues at chill factore with poles - tho once they've been knocked out they don't go back in!

Bit worried about the ruts for my first indoor snow races this year - get some pretty impressive ruts built up during training sessions at CFe Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vivski wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, hate to tell you but Rossendale is still there

Ah, someone told me it'd been resurfaced to snowflex and I believed them, as I thought there's no other feasible way for Pendle to get a Grand Prix Shocked Alas Rossendale Ski Club itself is no more sadly. Is anyone else going to the farewell dinner for the club coming up shortly?

GrahamN, I hung up my dry slope gear some time ago, and living in central London I don't run a motor at the moment so getting to/from the slopes would be a bit difficult. I also don't want anyone laughing at my tips in the air old school style!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

tho once they've been knocked out they don't go back in

they do inject water around them at MK but it seems to take at least an hour to freeze properly or they get knocked out easy....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sideshow_Bob, they resurfaced one side of the slope from below the bumps to the bottom with snowflex and stuck a ruddy great quarterpipe at the bottom Evil or Very Mad but the other side is still going strong - they had races there last year for the first time in a while but there were loads of complaints about the matting that led to the all England champs being moved from there to Sunderland.... but as I said this year they have been given a GP so I assume they must have done or be going to do some more rematting. Until september I trained at Rossendale but it was my least favourite place to race cos of the mat!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vivski, There were also several injuries at the Rossendale race, one member of our club broke her collarbone that day and still isn't back to her previous form.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, was that at the inter-regional? I know I heard about a lot of injuries that day - not sure about the CN day? I for one wasn't surprised, as I said even tho I used to train there I hated racing there as the slope was a bit of a mess - and the quarterpipe made it really unsafe for the inter-regional as there wasn't room for 2 people to stop at the bottom. Sorry to hear your club member is still not fully recovered from her injury. This is why I assume they must have made improvements to have had GP approved for this year? I hope SSE wouldn't take it on trust that they'd make the improvements they promised like last year!
ski holidays
vivski, It must have been during the inter-regional race, she was 3rd in the CN.
snow report
Nick W, will tgey allow free-heelers?
ski holidays
TelemarkKing, Not sure they do .. but if you can get to Bowles (near Tunbridge Wells) - early Friday evening, you'd be very welcome to tackle some gates during our training session.

I've tried it - more or less the most scary thing I've ever done on skis Shocked Did speed up my lead change however.... snowHead
ski holidays
TelemarkKing wrote:
Nick W, will tgey allow free-heelers?

Interesting question. I don't see anything in the ICR or BACR (the rules) to suggest skis have to have a fixed heel. Give the race secretary a call and flummox him with the question!
snow conditions
TelemarkKing, I have no idea about telemarking but will ask at both events. Having tried it I know I wouldn't risk it Embarassed
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, don't worry that stamping/hacking has all but died out. I have been showing the next generation of world cup racers (in Whistler) how to do it when they get in trouble for a while now.........

Even better, a whole bunch of them are eligible for dual nationality (ie a British passport). A lot of them can make the decision pre FIS registration which way they want to go. A British licence is both cheaper and means you would get quota entry into all the North American races. Look out for some new star in a few years that just happen to have a "eh" tacked onto he back of every sentence.

Maybe I shoudl bring them all over for a dry-slope race?
latest report
Hey Paul, good to hear from you. I take it you're living the life of Riley out in Canada while some of us are stuck in the snow-short big smoke Sad

Glad you're keeping the hacking end up over there, though I thought you claimed you were more of a purist while you were racing compared with the real monsters (Jonny Bainbridge springs to mind) and I think that was your excuse when I kicked your arsse when we fore-ran the NW Schools back in 99 Toofy Grin - my last ever dry slope experience - and to think we beat Dave Ryding by a good three or four seconds over an 11 second course! He was about half the size back then. That makes me think, get your guys over to Pendle. That'd teach them a trick or two.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, I raced the kids a few weeks ago 1 day on my last season sl skis, and then the next day on a pair of 1982 205cm dynastar course skis. interestingly i still beat a few of the kids on the old skis despite them no doubt not being waxed since the 80's and having furry bases.

Dave Ryding has been replaced by one of Whistlers new stars. An even smaller 11 year old called Dalton Pehota! he maybe weighs in at 75-80lbs.

Our problem we have in Whistler is the lack of number of gate runs you can get in a day. Our chairlift for our training hill has over 660m vertical, not so great for lots of laps. Now an indoor slope with the option of 12+runs an hour might be pretty cool.

Gotta go skiing for the afternoon, its stopped snowing at the village base now and my admin is done, so maybe time to get soem skiing in!
latest report
paulhothersall wrote:
Gotta go skiing for the afternoon, its stopped snowing at the village base now and my admin is done, so maybe time to get soem skiing in!

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Rub it in why don't you? Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, nah, its snowing again, i can't even see the peak from my window anymore. (normally my view includes parts of the dave murray and most of the franzs olympic runs to just above the finish line, and right upto the top of the mountain)

I'm gonna go to the village for the afternoon band and chill out by the main stage instead.[/img]
snow conditions
Quote:

Our chairlift for our training hill has over 660m vertical, not so great for lots of laps. Now an indoor slope with the option of 12+runs an hour might be pretty cool.

wow the grass is always greener on the other side Laughing great to hear a mountain based coach wishing for less vertical and an indoor freezer Madeye-Smiley
snow report
skimottaret, Long chairs are not great for training, there is always the worry that the kids will just tuck everything after a course and collide with punters.
ski holidays
skimottaret, depending on which run we are using the kids often have a variety of choices of run to get to the lift. Now if you are videoing, course maintaining and also watching all of them, as soon as they are out of sight it is hard to control them. Does little johnnny really want to do the exercise you gave him the whole way down if he is just going to get passed by all the other kids and therefore have bigger ruts, or does he just straightline it?

on the plus side (apart from christmas week) there is never a line-up for our chairlift
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick W, I will there on Sunday with one daughter, understand over 200 already entered so looks like it's going to be a long day!
ski holidays
rjs, paulhothersall, i appreciate the problems you have with a long chair lift scaterring the students, etc but i was just joking about wink ...

I still would trade being outdoors in whistler with being stuck in a freezer anyday Laughing
latest report
skimottaret, thanks, and thats why i'm here not the the uk.

I won't trade, but you are welcome to come join us all out here.
ski holidays
Quote:

but you are welcome to come join us all out here.

paulhothersall, hopefully once skimottaretjunior is packed off to Uni in a few years that just might be on the cards. Might even be qualified by then Laughing
snow report
where is this race on sunday????? may be a marketing opertunity Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, LSERSA one is at Aldershot.
ski holidays
ski, and ERSA is welwyn as i have just searched out...mmmm which one will be busiest, whcih one is closer oh decisions decisions Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM, www.lsersa.org has a start list...136 entrants. I won't be there 'cos I'm in Luxembourg working Crying or Very sad .
ski holidays
Saturday: Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad (although not as bad as last year)

Sunday:
snow report
GrahamN, Well done ! Very Happy That looks like more improvements over the winter....Was it wet on Sunday ?
ski holidays
GrahamN, good result

ski, went to Welwyn,

good turn out gave out a pile of brohures so we shall see what comes of it
snow report
GrahamN, Congrats, you were definitely one very happy bunny yesterday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy