Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing boot liners revisted

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried baking powder in their boots?

Not tried it on ski boots before, but I have been burdened with the smelly feet gene passed on from my father. We both have had amazing results from sprinkling a bit of baking powder into our shoes before wearing them and it has worked wonders, can't see why it wouldn't do the same for ski boots. What have you got to lose?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT wrote:
maggi, thats telling 'im..!! Laughing

Embarassed I'd had a bad day. Mostly because of someone who had "just forgotten" to do something last week which ended up in a (metaphorical) stink this week. And I'd had a drink Madeye-Smiley .
Perhaps I was a bit harsh to poor achilles? Noooooooo .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi,

maybe you were...

but I think you KNOW who I was talking about....Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speaking as someone who genuinely washes his stinky ski helmet in the machine (cold wash, short cycle, one tablet, extra rinse, short 400 rpm spin) along with his salopettes, I can't believe a gentle hand wash and dry would damage boot liners.

In fact, after 70 days, the liners on my Rossi Power 9.3 boots are overcompressed and need sorting in some way to put some pressure back all around the foot. How about a handwash followed by a gentle tumble dry to 'fluff them out' a bit. I've got touring stuff for back-up but I think I might wait till the last lifts have closed in Scotland before I do the downhill ones though. wink

Any ideas (other than tumble drier) to give the liners more volume again ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross, ..... it may be getting towards time for some new liners Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, You're right but I think that would involve stumping up cash which is something that I am always reluctant to do if I can avoid it. I think I will try an experiment in a month or so and just see what happens. Nothing to lose really. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been soaking( just leave then in the sink full of water for about 30-4- minutes) my Lange boot liners in plain water after every 6-8 uses for about 4 years with no problems, dry them slowly next to my hot water heating radiator. I use thermic dryers when I am skiing for more than 1 -2 days in succession. I would not dry them too fast and under too much heat, also some detergents are suppose to hard on your liners.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, eh? You put your ski helmet in the washing machine?! Do you? Doesn't it come out scratched to buggery even if it is in there with your salopettes on a short cycle with low spin???? Hmmm.

With my ski helmet I remove the liner with the ear pads as they are the bits that are directly against one's head and ears as it were, and wash them on a gentle wash cycle with a short spin....nice an' fresh after that! All I do with the rest is wipe the inside of the ski helmet with one of them antibacterial wipes (non bleach) out of the packs you can get from the supermarket.

I think I also read on this forum that someone has used those said antibacterial wipes on the inside of their boot shells before now. I did that recently and they were lovely and fresh afterwards. The liners, I have to admit (because I'm planning on getting new boots in October anyway-so had nothing to lose if they went wrong afterwards) I did put them in the machine on a cold wash with no spin mind you and left them to dry naturally in the lounge and had no problems, although I can see that washing them at 30 or 40 degrees would more than likely do something to the glue and the foam.

Incidentally, while we're on the subject of washing ski equipment, if you want to wash your ski kit bag/suitcase/whatever now and again, obviously they don't fit in the washing machine being too big so how would you go about cleaning one? Mine's well grubby after being slung round an airport god knows how many times lately. I'm thinking hosepipe in the garden with a bit of fairy on a nice sunny day so it dries quickly. Any thoughts? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, much simpler way to wash ski helmet/bike helmet/skate helmet/kayak helmet:

start shower. shampoo hair. put helmet on hair, roll helmet around head a bit , remove, rinse, let dry.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, hmmm yes that's a good idea. At least mine would smell of Beautiful Brunette instead of Dettox wipes then... Toofy Grin moffatross, have you paid attention to this alternative method of swilling your ski helmet?

comprex, have you any solutions to the giving the suitcase a wash question which are equally as simple, but effective?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hated my smelly Xwave 10'S and wanted an excuse to replace them, so washed them on a synthetic prog at 40 deg normal amount of detergent. I was forced to keep them for 2 more seasons as they became more comfortable and none smelly. Did my wife's Equipes the next season. Just my opinion base on nothing other than my own experience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have done cool wash in machine for many years and no demonstrable damage. Allows the shell to be cleaned and dried also
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pwahlrab wrote:
Have done cool wash in machine for many years and no demonstrable damage. Allows the shell to be cleaned and dried also

I also dumped some cleaning products in the shell for a good clear out
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy